Royalblue/Magenta (warning: it might hurt your eyes... literally)

Started by Gabi, November 18, 2006, 04:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What effect does the alternating text in the post below have on you?

It's pretty.
7 (17.1%)
No effect.
10 (24.4%)
I don't like it, but it doesn't hurt me.
9 (22%)
It's hard to read / focus on.
12 (29.3%)
It hurts!!
3 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Gabi

According to a test performed on another forum, some people find Royalblue/Magenta to be a nice combination of colors, while others claim that it makes their eyes hurt, or that they have to make a great effort to focus on a text like this.

I would like to know, how does it affect you? Please contribute to this useless statistic, and accept my apology for any inconveniences this post may have caused you.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Darkmoon

S9rhugs) it's not the easiest to read on a black background. The blue and magenta appear on slightly different lines...
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Toric

It's a little hard to get used to reading at first, but after that it's just kinda like reading normal black text to me. No real effect.
Yap by Silver.

Aisha deCabre

I could read it easily without any difficulty.  It's bright colors used together that bother me.  I like dark colors, especially blue and purple tones.  They're kinda soothing to me.
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Zedd

Studys say that if some items are blue people have a will to acctruly buy it

xHaZxMaTx

Umm... cotton candy?

No effect, just like reading normal black text, but it really does remind me of cotton candy.

Aridas

If we were talking about those colors as foreground/background, it would probably hurt. as it is though, it's pretty nice actually.

llearch n'n'daCorna

miserable.

Yes, it's readable, but it requires an effort.

Bearing in mind that you, Gabi, have something useful to say, most of the time, the effort is worthwhile. For the sort of person who usually declaims the readability of that sort of text, the utility of the conversation is suspect to start with, and the effort required to decipher the text through the colour may be enough to make the difference between reading, and declining to bother with at all.

Just my 2p.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Sid

Well, I'm using the DMFA theme on the entire forum, so these colors don't really have a high contrast to the background. Voted for "hard to read". It's better than other colors, but I would just skip such posts normally unless I suspect that the poster has something incredibly insightful to say.
:boogie

RJ

Nikki

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

xHaZxMaTx

If not cotton candy, bubble gum.  You should put those options in the poll.

LionHeart

It is rather hard to read... It looks like the letters are jumping up and down to me.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

ITOS

They all turn pink when I stop focusing and since they all turn into the same colour I have easier to focus on them... which makes them turn into different colours again. :aack
This generic comment was brought to you by:

Suwako

Well, I'm using the DMFA theme on the entire forum, so these colors don't really have a high contrast to the background. Voted for "It's pretty".  >:3 

[/Ctrl insert]

Silverfoxr

makes my eyes hurt - took me awahile to figure out how to read it but got it eventually - i have bad eyesight anyways (odd thou when i color with those colors it doesnt hurt?_

Xuzaf D

I'm using the blue CVRPG forum setting, so the blue blends a bit.

edit: came back with the floating gardens theme. It's easy to read.

Stygian

I'm using the "Cursed Prison" theme, though I wish that it was green and black instead. And the colours hurt my eyes. Loads. I dislike the brightness.

Fresnor

Those colors are annoying true, but not eye piercingly so.  Now Flourescent Green and yellow, THOSE will burn out your eye sockets.

Eibborn

If you had listed 'Annoying' as an option, I would've been all over it. I voted hard to read, but then I'm using the blue CVRPG background, so the Magenta stabbed my eyes while I could hardly read the blue. :/
I could read it without doing so, but it was much easier just to highlight the text and read it all as blue. If someone were to regularly post using it, I would just not bother reading it.
/kicks the internet over

Xuzaf D

Quote from: Eibbor_N on November 20, 2006, 12:02:24 AM
I voted hard to read, but then I'm using the blue CVRPG background, so the Magenta stabbed my eyes while I could hardly read the blue. :/
The CVRPG skin isn't very popular... We're only one user in head of the simple machines skin.

Supercheese

The blue letters seem to have larger borders, for some reason...

Dakata

It's easy for me to read. :P (I'm using the DMFA skin.)

...It looks kinda pretty. :B

xHaZxMaTx

Forum/Board Default - On a black background the magenta stands out more than the royal blue, but it doesn't hurt to look at, nor is it hard to read.
SMF Default Theme - Being on a grey background seems to lessen the intesity of either color.  Not painful to look at, not hard to read.
New Classic - On a white background, the colors are a little more intense, but still not to the point of painful to look at.  Still able to read.
CVRPG Classic - Being on a blue background, it's hard to read the blue text, and the magenta is dull.  Not painful to look at, but hard to read.
Banquet - Once again, being on a dark background causes the magenta to stand out more, but is not painful or hard to read.
Cursed Prison - *See Banquet*
DMFA Skin - The shade of violet/purple seems to be just in the middle of the magenta and royal blue, making it stand out without being so intense.  Not painful to look at, easy to read.
Inverted Dungeon - *See Cursed Prison*
Floating Gardens - *See SMF Deafault Theme*

Maxx

It was rather hard for me.  I was reading everyone word with some struggle. As I was reading it and hearing the words in my head. After I was done I realized, I had just sounded like William Shatner :erk

Alan Garou

Quote from: Maxx on November 20, 2006, 02:17:28 PM
It was rather hard for me.  I was reading everyone word with some struggle. As I was reading it and hearing the words in my head. After I was done I realized, I had just sounded like William Shatner :erk
Dear Lord! Someone get the medic! For that, and for the migraines that people got from reading that first post.

Vaguely Creepy

I had to adjust to the fact that the magenta letters look bigger for whatever reason, but no effect, really.

mini-lion

can read it fine although it is a comparatively small piece of text that is spaced out, though i keep trying to make it out as some type of code

xHaZxMaTx

Alan Garou

It makes me get all bug-eyed. It doesn't exactly hurt, but it's far from comfortable. :mowdizzy