Snow?

Started by Amber Williams, October 12, 2006, 05:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azlan

Quote from: DigitalMan on October 13, 2006, 03:45:06 AM
Agreed. You must have aced Physics class.

*brings up his Weather Channel desktop program* Come on, just a couple more degrees...

Physics was fun until I started into nanoscale, Mesoscopic and Nuclear astrophysics... then it became less so. 

Mainly I did not look forward to another year of mathematical physics, fluid dynamics and integral calculus... my primary dislike was in the area of mathematics, it detracted from my appreciation of science and took up far too much of my time.  When you are pressured into competition for the Fields medal, mathematics is no longer fun.

Plus, I used to enjoy being "special", when stacked up against the top minds in the fields... one becomes self-conscious of their own short comings and limitations... they cease being as special as they thought they were.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 13, 2006, 03:45:43 AM
Only at 0 to -4C, Azlan. After it gets colder it starts to shrink again. :-)

:P
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

DigitalMan

*stares and blinks dumbly at Azlan*

... You've gotta be kidding me...

Ever think of getting into 3D modelling? >.>

On topic, it looks like Cleveland is safe from snow for another week.

xHaZxMaTx

Oh noes, thunder!  But no rain.  And my blinds are shut, so i can't see if there's any lightning.  Nope, nevermind.  Literally when I finished typing that sentence I smelled wet pavement.

bill

Hearing that Buffalo, NY got absolutely raped by snow last night.

Jack McSlay

Quote from: Gabi on October 12, 2006, 10:44:06 PM
It never snows where I live. Well, I read that it snowed once in 1918, but not even my grandparents had been born then.

Some parts of the Andes still have snow, though.
odd... I've seen stuff of snowing at times on Santa Catarina, and that's farther to the north than most of Argentina

regardless, I've never seen snow myself  :<

on the other hand i've seen some wicked hail. not too long ago we had the streets practically covered with ice stones
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Gabi

Yes, there was a huge hailstorm here last month. Lots of cars still show the marks for it.

Snow in Santa Catarina? Interesting. It must be higher up than I am.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Vidar

No snow here. We are having an insanely late and long warm post-summer period.

Also, Amber, be prepared for winter year-around. According to Megatokyo, it's always winter in Canada.

Btw, does Canada have 6-months nights, like on the Northpole?
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Alondro

Quote from: Kasarn on October 12, 2006, 09:38:45 PM
Santa only brings us coal... which is why everything catches on fire :<

He's so mean to us :cry

*Charles hah!*  That's cuz you Aussies are all criminals!  *remembers a certain Simpsons episode*

Marge:  It says here that Australia used to be a penal colony.  Lisa, watch your purse!

*scene moves to Lisa, who turns around just before a theiving group of Aussies snatch her purse!*

*Charles*  See?!  Proof positive!  If it was on TV it MUST be true!   :P
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

xHaZxMaTx

Wowee!!!  Lot's of thunder and lightning!  I wish I could take some pics!

Drake Manaweilder

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on October 12, 2006, 10:57:19 PM
No snow up here in canada D:

we got a little snow in my area... but i heard Windsor got hit hard. they even closed a highway because of it.

Creativity

It snowed a tiny bit here in Prince Albert, just enough to make you feel used by a black man, y'know?

I've been waiting for snow for too long... I've been starting my Yamaha 350 every other day just to hear the engine roar.. *tries to mimick engine and ends up meowing* Its a beast :3

thegayhare

Snow

The room was suddenly rich and the great bay-window was
Spawning snow and pink roses against it
Soundlessly collateral and incompatable:
World is suddener than we fancy it.

World is crazier and more of it than we think,
Incorrigibly plural. I peel and portion
A tangerine and spit the pips and feel
The drunkenness of things being various.

And the fire flames with a bubbling sound for the world
Is more spiteful and gay than one supposes-
On the tongue on the eyes one the ears in the palms of one's hands-
There is more than glass between the snow and the huge roses.

xHaZxMaTx

I took some videos of the lightning.  I was hoping to upload them to my computer and take some screenshots of the individual bolts, but the camera records using a Quicktime file which I can't open in Windows Movie Maker. :(

Tapewolf

Quote from: ×HaZ×MaT× on October 13, 2006, 12:05:19 PM
I took some videos of the lightning.  I was hoping to upload them to my computer and take some screenshots of the individual bolts, but the camera records using a Quicktime file which I can't open in Windows Movie Maker. :(
Depends on the codec and the size, but if they're small enough to put online, I could try and transcode them for you.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Zedd

As my father would say....Its colder than a witches tit out there....

Tapewolf

If anyone wants some snow, let me know.  I'll fill Llearch up with some and send him by UPS.
In the meantime, here's some I made earlier:

http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/stuff/snow1.jpg

http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/stuff/snow2a.jpg

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Zedd

Wouldnt Llearch get frostbite?

xHaZxMaTx

Not sure UPS would appreciate shipping a FedEx box. :lol

James StarRunner

Quote from: Vidar on October 13, 2006, 09:04:19 AM
No snow here. We are having an insanely late and long warm post-summer period.

Also, Amber, be prepared for winter year-around. According to Megatokyo, it's always winter in Canada.

Btw, does Canada have 6-months nights, like on the Northpole?
Only in the most northern parts. I'm quite far south in Canada and although the days are a lot shorter during the winter, I still get some daylight all year.

Seth C Triggs

Heh heh... I'm in Buffalo, and this is mainly a freak storm. It resulted in very thick lake-effect snow (the snow is unusually chunky) and is a pain to shovel and walk through. So that's pretty much shut things down for a while.

Oddly enough, many of the streets are clear, and the temperatures have risen considerably. The snow is just so thick that it behaves like ice and pulls down power lines. So there's still around 200,000 without power now.

-Seth
BIBP Webcomic - bizarre and NSFW - http://www.bibp.com

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Zedd on October 13, 2006, 01:58:21 PM
Wouldnt Llearch get frostbite?

No, but Tapewolf might get llearchbite....
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Anara

The last time I saw snow I was in Rochester NY last year. It was fanstastic! There were three exchange students at the time and everyone though it was so funny how we reacted to the cold.
The mexican was so bundled up you couldn't see him half the time.
The Norweigan was bored and didn't consider 5 inches of snow to be anything impressive.
And me? I was frolicking through the hills pelting random people with snowballs xD
Soooo much fun...

RJ

Quote from: Alondro on October 13, 2006, 09:15:04 AM
Quote from: Kasarn on October 12, 2006, 09:38:45 PM
Santa only brings us coal... which is why everything catches on fire :<

He's so mean to us :cry

*Charles hah!*  That's cuz you Aussies are all criminals!  *remembers a certain Simpsons episode*

Marge:  It says here that Australia used to be a penal colony.  Lisa, watch your purse!

*scene moves to Lisa, who turns around just before a theiving group of Aussies snatch her purse!*

*Charles*  See?!  Proof positive!  If it was on TV it MUST be true!   :P

We all ride to school in kangaroo pouches too  :B

>.>

<.<

*steals Charles' camera*

Nikki

snow...

snow is...basicaly rain...

i hate rain...

i hate water....

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Zedd

Wouldnt you die if you hated it? Or smelt odd?

Nikki

i put up with it..but i hate it >>

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Wildy

*points at Amber and laughs!* Hahaha!! And you thought you were going to escape the freezing cold of PA! Canada is worse!! *forsees more than usual hermiting, less Mason knows the secret to get you outside.* Which he probably does. *coughindianfoodcough*

thegayhare

I've never understood the infatuation with snow

Sure it's pretty to look at when it first falls, so long as your inside in the warm.

mind you cold doesn't bother me I like it coolbut snow is just a pain, it's heavy, cold and dangerous. (specaly cause drivers round here don't seem to slow down when theres an inch or more of it it, or worse slush, on the road)

bill

TGH, snow is fun when you attack planks to your feet and slide down steep hills. That's why God invented snow.

thegayhare

never learned to ski or snow board... never wanted to I'm enough of a klutz on my own two feet

no need to make me try to balance going down hill at high speed