Things Amber Learns! (Update)

Started by Darkmoon, October 03, 2006, 11:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkmoon

Amber here, and I must say this week has been an educational experience...and let me tell you all why!

First thing learned:  I learned that when you go to the post office to submit for a passport application, you show them your birth certificate/liscense/photos of you....and that they keep 2 out of 3 of them apparently...as they took my birth certificate copy.  The good news is I'll get it back in 6-8 weeks...the bad was that I sort of needed that to go to Canada as well.

LUCKILY, my mom had another copy at her place so I was able to get that one...only at an extra day's delay.

Second thing learned:  God or whoever up there hates the idea of me having a backlog.  It seems for everytime I try to make a backlog or some buffer for comics, something will happen that not only ruins that, but causes me to miss updates as well.  First it was a complete harddrive crash, this time it was THE PLAGUE and DMoon's computer being evil to colour on.

Third thing learned: I'm totally gay for Blink.  Way back when I was a little girl, I had a couple age of Apocolypse comics that had Blink and Morph in them and they were probably the coolest characters ever.  While down here, I've decided to start collecting the Exiles series since they have a few compiled issues.  And I liketh it a lot.  Morph and Blink are the coolest mutants ever. Hands down.

Fourth thing learned: Interstella 5555 is awsome.  I have to buy the dvd sometime.

Fifth thing learned:  Wierd Al is awsome.  I already bought his cd.

Sixth thing learned:  I'll be driving to Canada this Wednesday...so heres hoping nothing goes terribly wrong.  It seems everytime I go to the border something new happens.  Last time the guy actaully kicked my liscense plate...I guess effectively "booting" me out of the country.    But comics should be on Friday unless DOOM hits...

IT'LL BE AN ADVENTURE CHARLIE!

-Amber
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

insanekaosx

Quote from: Darkmoon on October 03, 2006, 11:14:12 PM
Fourth thing learned: Interstella 5555 is awsome.  I have to buy the dvd sometime.

You just win, completely and utterly, for Foruth thing. Fifth is pretty cool as well.

Oh, and that whole getting back to Canada, working through the PLAGUE, and continuing the comic. Thats all cool too :P

King Of Hearts

Blink IS awesome, they had to twist a bit of story just to bring her back in some way or form.

As for Backlogs, take your time and pray to the deities of Canada for divine Providence... hang in there.

Adventure Charlie... Reminded me of that old NES game, Circus Charlie.

Zedd

Wow now I learened things too..Cause knowlage is power!

Slavkei

CANADA MOUNTAIN, CHARLIE! CANADA MOUNTAIN!

ShiningShadow

I heard canada is very excellent this time of the year. But be careful on your trip and may the gods grant you safe passage through your trip......................

Silverfoxr

dont keep making yourself sick amber - nobody likes a sick artist all the time :) (truthfully get well soon ^^ *MEGA HUGS*

ITOS

This generic comment was brought to you by:

skwerly

Quote from: Amber on October 03, 2006, 11:14:12 PM
First it was a complete harddrive crash,

What was the end result of that, anyway?  Last I heard, the drive was heading for a cleanroom dissection.  Was anything recovered from it?

Gabi

Get well soon and take care. :hug

So you get your passports at the post office? Here we get them at the central police station.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

ShiningShadow

Me getting Passports I think here in NYC I get them at Rockefeller center I think. Bah I never leave the country  as of yet. Who knows when opportunity knocks at my door....................

Roureem Egas

Have a safe trip Amber. :3

[tangent]I always had the impression you lived in South America or Europe, Shining. Interesting to note.[/tangent]

ShiningShadow

Quote from: Roureem Egas on October 04, 2006, 11:56:09 AM
Have a safe trip Amber. :3

[tangent]I always had the impression you lived in South America or Europe, Shining. Interesting to note.[/tangent]

My family lives in South America in Peru to be exact *sigh I wish I was back there* the cool thing about Peru is the seasons are backwards if you leave in July-august in the summer time by the time you arrive there there is starting to have a Fall season. If I have the cash and time I would open up a tourist service for all of you and you see yourself the Beauty of Peru. Anywho sorry to went off topic there.............

Alondro

*hmms*  Peru, eh?  Do you guys still have that ancient Atlantean weapon buried in the mountain that's capable of ending the world?   ;)
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

GabrielsThoughts

Here's to hoping Amber gets her Passport before the December 31st deadline.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Drake Manaweilder

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on October 04, 2006, 01:29:58 PM

Odds are i'm missing something obvious, but what do you mean? (I've never been out of Canada so I don't know about travel regulations)

GabrielsThoughts

After december 31st all Americans aka citizens of the U.S. including Alaska, Puerto Rico etc. are required by law to have a passport to cross into Mexico or Canada.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Gabi

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on October 04, 2006, 01:53:33 PM
After december 31st all Americans aka citizens of the U.S. including Alaska, Puerto Rico etc. are required by law to have a passport to cross into Mexico or Canada.
I think it's only fair, after what they put me through before they would allow me into their country.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Arcalane

Inefficiency may be one of America's greatest flaws (compare US/Russia spacerace) but even I doubt it'll take 2 months[/i] (well, 1.8~1.9) to get a passport. (Whee, red tape!)

No offense, but if you look at the figures, the Russians had a lot less money to work with and beat the Americans into space - both first manned (Yuri Gagarin) and first satellite (Sputnik), although the Americans did make it down onto the Moon with kamikaze imaging probes, and of course one of the most popular conspiracy theories, Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin's moon landing.

I also find it amusing that the Americans spent tons of money trying to invent a 'space pen'...and what did the Russians use?

A pencil![/i] :laugh

But enough of that little example. The passport should be handled relatively quickly, so I shouldn't worry about that - after all, what will be, will be.

bill

Quote from: Sheridan on October 04, 2006, 05:08:20 PM

I also find it amusing that the Americans spent tons of money trying to invent a 'space pen'...and what did the Russians use?

A pencil![/i] :laugh

Oh noes, owned by Snopes.

(I believed it too)

The point that you bring up, though, that there is way too much red tape in the government, is not only valid, but incredibly valid.

Arcalane

Quote from: BillBuckner on October 04, 2006, 05:10:30 PMOh noes, owned by Snopes.

(I believed it too)

Interesting.

Well, I suppose you do learn something new every day. :B

More the other way around I suppose. The Americans decided the pencil was too dangerous and decided to upgrade it. D:

Zedd

I learned not to run cross the street with a cellphone in hand and slurpie in other...And thus letting a car running over my foot!

admford

Quote from: Darkmoon on October 03, 2006, 11:14:12 PM

-Amber

Hmmmm.. Interstella 5555 is deffinately a good movie/music video to see. Different from most styles of music videos, it almost resembles one of those Rock Opera's of the 70's or so. Other than that, they managed to get Leiji Matsumoto on board to do the art (creator of the Captain Harlock, and Spaceship Yamato animes).

Also managed to get the last album. Nice to see that he reintroduced the "Polkarama" mix of songs this time. Oh, and Weird Al had some trouble releasing a song on the album, so he released it for free online. It's called "You're Pitiful", parody of "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt. Basically he got Blunt's permission to parody the song, but the Blunt's Label in the end told Weird Al not to include the song in the album.

You can find a link to download it (legally, since it was released for free) off the wikipedia page on the song. The page has a fan made cover art that you can use with the MP3 if you want.

Alan Garou

Quote from: Zedd on October 04, 2006, 03:04:23 AM
Wow now I learened things too..Cause knowlage is power!
And power corrupts, my friend. Mrs. Amber, however, is perfectly safe, being completely corrupted already.

Damaris

Actually, as a friendly service announcement, the December 31st passport rule only applies to air and sea travel into Canada.  People driving in can still use their conventional identification until Jan. 1, 2008.

I got into a fight about this with a Canadian, and she found the info on a US federal site.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Amber Williams

Well gang, I'm back in the Canuckland!  There were no hassles at any point...though granted even with a hassle-free drive...7 hours of straight travel is exhausting and mind-numbing.  But I'm here, I'm safe, and its all good. :3

Border adventure:  I swear the border people are playing games on me. This particular time was the "super easy breezy pass through" where I didnt even have to show my liscense.  All she asked was where I was from, did I have a job, did I work in Canada, where am I going, and what was in my car save for clothes.  Not that I'm complaining, cause man I was stressing while I was going over that bridge about what to expect.  But I guess when your border guard has a Lady from "Lady and the Tramp" doll in her booth, you can expect good things. 

I totally think they are trying to get me to lower my defenses again.  I'm onto them...

Anyways...I'm pooped. I should be able to pull off a comic.  Granted its 90% chance to be a Question from the Readers...but a comic!  In the meantime, I'm going to eat something cause one bad habit of mine is I can never eat when I'm driving on long-trips...triply so by myself.

Take care, and wooha.

Jim Halisstrad

Rock.  Glad to hear that you made it unhindered.
Also, questions from the readers are some of your funnier stuff in my opinion.  But thats because it's a change of pace from your normal shenanigans.

King Of Hearts

They now recognize you as one of them!

Zedd

Glad you be safe and sounds...Did Fluffy play Da wheels on da bus again?  :B

ShiningShadow

Amber are you going to eat? As of right now hmmmmmmmm I was wondering the other times you got sick is it what you eat at Canada and that bug got yo you when you came home. I'm just wondering here.