Another Sad Pet Post

Started by Damaris, September 13, 2006, 10:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damaris

We had to put our cat, Miss Kitty, to sleep today.

She had acute renal failure, which apparently cats just refuse to come back from.

:januscat

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

llearch n'n'daCorna

*sniff*

Poor kitty.

*hugs* you ok, though?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Darkmoon

I'm doing about as good as I can be, considering. She was my first cat, so... it's tough...
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

xHaZxMaTx

That's too bad...  :tired  My condolences.

ITOS

Thought I never knew Miss Kitty personally I still know how it feels. :mowsad
This generic comment was brought to you by:

thegayhare

Renal failure, that  sounds familer.

I think thats what my sammy had
complications from renal faliure led to heart faliure

*sighs and hugs both of you*
Sorry

Paladin Sheppard

Its always hard losing a pet especially the smaller types. We assign them human characteristics and so when they do go its like losing one of the family...I feel for you guys.

Nikki

*huggles* it'll be ok ;; i know how you feel...*huggles a kitty stuffie and passes it around for huggles*

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Zedd

Leafar

Quote from: Darkmoon on September 13, 2006, 10:28:21 AM
I'm doing about as good as I can be, considering. She was my first cat, so... it's tough...

ermmm...me lost...so you 2 are familiars right? :S

anyway, i would like to say what i think about pets in this poem....so, ahem:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune--without the words,
And never stops at all,

And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.

I've heard it in the chillest land,
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.

pets love us, they trust us, they are always by our side, even if sometimes we treat them bad, they will always come back when we call for them...ever...don't be sad by its death, but happy cause you had the chance of a lifetime to live by its side for a pleasant passing time...may he/she find you again in another life...when you're both cats! sorry i just watched Vanilla Sky... :P .... again! xD

Castle Pokemetroid

Yes, I know what it's like to loose a pet. :mowsad Total, I think I've lost six or seven of them. They can never be replaced, but I currently have the same number that of I lost.

Leafar

i lost 3 dogs...hard since i love dogs...now i have a parrot with 6 years old and a dog named teddy, 4 years old... *lil off topic* hey castle, you made that sig?looks cool! ;)

Castle Pokemetroid

Quote from: Leafar on September 13, 2006, 10:23:33 PM
*lil off topic* hey castle, you made that sig?looks cool! ;)

Yep. It's the charaters in my project here at this forum.

Shadow Hunter

When we all get pets we have to realize that one day we will have to let go.

Damaris

You know, I've barely looked at the forum in the last two days because your post upset me so much, Shadow.

I don't expect everyone to understand the bond we have with our cats, but I don't think it's too much to ask for someone to respect them.  We do not have children.  Our cats are our children.  They are the loves of our lives.

Yes, unfortunately they don't have a very long lifespan.  That's all the more reason to love them as hard as we can while they're with us.

And for someone to say "that's what you should expect..."  Would you have said that to me the day that my grandfather died?  I mean, silly us for having older relatives.  No, people just don't say things like that.  And, quite frankly my baby's death is hurting me just as profoundly.  The tragedy is that I didn't have her in my life nearly as long.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

llearch n'n'daCorna

*hugs*

I *think*, or, at least, I *hope*, that Shadow didn't mean it that way, Damaris. We, as people, try to hang on to our pets (and yes, I've had a few die on me) and we need to realise that they're not going to be here forever. On the other hand, we also need to cherish them while they're here, and remember them when they go.

It *is* life - but there's no need (for Shadow, here) to be blunt, and sandpaper people's feelings over it. :-/

Offering sympathy,

Azlan

The cat that lords over my house is my first one... and I dread the time of his passing...

I've now lost 5 friends in the last two years... and I haven't handled that too well, pushed everyone away because of it, just yesterday one of my team members passed away from complications from a stroke he had over the weekend.

I can understand how you feel, and I cannot condone a callous attitude towards this kind of thing, even if it was not intended to be that way.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Damaris

I know Shadow probably didn't mean it that way.  But I've spent two days trying not to burst into tears at work, and I have a cat that is so depressed he will barely let us touch him.  (and usually cuddling with him is my anti-sad salve.)

I'm just wrung out.  And well meant as it may be, hearing that (and the ever popular "at least she didn't suffer"- because she was suffering for God knows how long without us knowing about it.  The renal failure was just the medical condition that couldn't be fixed.  She had several others that were very bad that we had no idea about.) just makes it worse.

Leafar

Quote from: Leafar on September 15, 2006, 12:13:47 PM

pets love us, they trust us, they are always by our side, even if sometimes we treat them bad, they will always come back when we call for them...ever...don't be sad by her death, but happy cause you had the chance of a lifetime to live by her side for a pleasant passing time...

please Dama, don't you forget this...

and it's not only cause they have a short life span...i think this fits for everything in life...everything passes...

my dad's second marriage daughter said to me such a cool thing once, she said:

''daddy said that our last dog that went to heaven is now an angel that protects me...i already lost a cat and a birdy...i think with all this defense i am now invincible!!!! :p ''
so cute...

thegayhare

Mind if I ask?
How is your other cat  you mentioed depressed but is he healthy?  how old?

Is he all alone at home now?  you might want to think about getting another cat to help him cope.  Depression is serous and it can worsen any existng medical problems

Damaris

He's about 5.  As far as we know, he's healthy as a freakin ox.  He has a mild heart murmer that we found out about when he was getting fixed, but otherwise he's good.  I'm home with him today (it's my day off), and we'll be home most of the weekend.  However, next week Darkmoon and I both work during the day, so we'll see how he does.  He did okay yesterday, which was his first day all alone.

We've considered another cat, but I'm not sure how that would work for Mogs.  He absolutely loved Miss Kitty, but he's never done well with other animals in the house... I'm not sure if he would accept another cat. 

Part of the problem, I think, is that he doesn't know what is going on.  We carried Miss Kitty out, and she never came back.  I'm sure that's not helping his mental state.

I'm hoping that giving him a lot of love will do it.

Leafar

Quote from: Damaris on September 15, 2006, 12:57:16 PM

I'm hoping that giving him a lot of love will do it.

it works for humans...so...

llearch n'n'daCorna

You might consider carrying him out, and then back again. But that might further traumatise him, I'm not sure... :-/

All in all, not a good position. Virtual hugs, mmkay?

thegayhare

Lots of love and affection is just what he needs right now

Good luck hon