11/19/08 [DMFA #953] - festivals are not fun for everybody

Started by Fex, November 19, 2008, 01:50:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fex

Abel is getting weaker on his lies you can see through it very easy. but it is still fun.

Janus Whitefurr

I approve of Jyrras' face in the second panel. So scowly and fierce! It's so utterly intimidating!

"Eeeeeeeeeevil." teehee.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Anri

Sometimes the easiest to see through lies are the best ways to change th- LOOK, A DISTRACTION!

AmigaDragon

How's this for timely?
Quote from: AmigaDragon on November 18, 2008, 06:17:57 PM
Quote from: Ranzer on November 18, 2008, 05:16:03 PM
...having to rack up body counts for everything from saving the world to getting a sandwich is part of the job. It would be quite easy to have a steady supply, so...

Body parts sandwiches? :mwaha
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Slowtini

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

superluser

Here's where the Abel backstory really helps the reader.

(Also, If Jyrras is Sir Simon Milligan, that would make Abel Manservant Hecubus, and the Sleep of Ages...)

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Jairus

Awesome once more, Amber. Though I've been wondering for a while if Abel's ever going to tell them his backstory: too soon. Wait... where are Jy's glasses?

Incidentally, sleeping for a week sounds like a great idea, Amber.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

superluser

Quote from: Jairus on November 19, 2008, 04:59:28 AMIncidentally, sleeping for a week sounds like a great idea, Amber.

I did that once.  Well, it wasn't quite a week, but it did help me to get over the terminal insomnia from Election `08.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Alterationartist

I am so glad to see Abel back in something where I don't have read lines of drama to to the humor. That's like buying a martini so you get an olive. But the drama still works. It sets up the punchline.
Round 9!

Lucheek

That was halarius, made me laugh out loud. Great job. :3

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on November 19, 2008, 04:59:28 AM
I've been wondering for a while if Abel's ever going to tell them his backstory: too soon.
Back when the wallpaper war took place, Amber said that the loser's backstory would be told in the DMFA mainline, in an abridged (and somewhat more lighthearted) form.

One thing that puzzles me about Abel's lie is the "You know why you never see fat or ugly 'Cubi" part.  Granted, it's a transparent lie to gently tell Jy it's none of his business and thus doesn't stand up to scrutiny - but the way Abel tells it, 'Cubi usually hide as other races anyway.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Brunhidden

and three months later every really fancy restaurant in furrae adds cubi to the menu- note to abel, advertising that your species is delicious is not a good survival trait.

but wow, what an incentive for one to hit the gym, although that's probably why most cubi just dont eat, period.

although the truth of the statement is questionable i suddenly have a feeling that the dietary history of our good friends may yield some surprises when you dig around... specifically i have the strange hunch that mabb has eaten more sentient then lor and abe combined

after that thought i suddenly have the strange mental image of jyjy poking abels belly and saying 'how many people you got in there?', while he missed the opportunity to do so for lor i have a feeling doing so to abel would get a humorous ventriloquism act as a responce

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 19, 2008, 03:44:24 AM
Sweet, sweet Tammie. *snerk*

YOU think its funny? I have to try and record that with a straight face
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Brunhidden on November 19, 2008, 08:19:17 AM
but wow, what an incentive for one to hit the gym
Not really.  You see, according to Abel, they eat the ugliest or fattest one each year.  That means that unless you've got more than 20 ugly siblings or run away from home, you'll become the fattest and ugliest by default when all the others are dead, no matter how toned or athletic you may be.  In which case, if you're guaranteed to die before you reach the age SAIA will accept you, why bother working out at all?

Quotei suddenly have a feeling that the dietary history of our good friends may yield some surprises when you dig around... specifically i have the strange hunch that mabb has eaten more sentient then lor and abe combined
I'm not convinced she needs to eat at all.

QuoteYOU think its funny? I have to try and record that with a straight face
Quoted for truth.

Brunhidden

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 19, 2008, 08:26:34 AM
Quote from: Brunhidden on November 19, 2008, 08:19:17 AM
but wow, what an incentive for one to hit the gym
Not really.  You see, according to Abel, they eat the ugliest or fattest one each year.  That means that unless you've got more than 20 ugly siblings or run away from home, you'll become the fattest and ugliest by default when all the others are dead, no matter how toned or athletic you may be.  In which case, if you're guaranteed to die before you reach the age SAIA will accept you, why bother working out at all?

Quotei suddenly have a feeling that the dietary history of our good friends may yield some surprises when you dig around... specifically i have the strange hunch that mabb has eaten more sentient then lor and abe combined
I'm not convinced she needs to eat at all.

QuoteYOU think its funny? I have to try and record that with a straight face
Quoted for truth.

your first quote- by 'siblings' its pretty obvious he means 'of all of SAIA', seeing as how aniz isnt spreading any more seed and even a family of 10 would be hard pressed to eat a moderately pudgy adolecent in a single night. so for rough estimate i would guess it only goes like this till your considered an 'adult' which is dicey as your only known as a cubi once your about 22 or so, so for all we know they might be up for the menu till theyre 75- but thats out of a pool of i would guess at least three hundred minimum but probably closer to (but not likely over) a full thousand, so you really do have a chance to get out off the roasting spit if you keep yourself looking nice. however generations of this has probably bred out any tendancy towards ugly cubi children, its probably safe to assume the bulk of the victims are just cubi with poor self controll and got a little too friendly with cupcakes.

this suddenly gives me another bad imagery, of pyroduck saying to fa lina 'if you want babies so much why dont you have some of your own?' 'oh, but i ate all those already'.... which, considering fa lina, its a high probability hers might be on the chunkyer side of cubidom....

back on topic, your second quote- nobody says mabb needs to eat, however its obvious she likes things that are tasty. for all we know she ate someone because 'they were full of cookies!' or 'they ate the last piece of cake, i really wanted that cake *scowl*'

and as to your last quote, after boxy typed it like that it will be REALLY hard not to sound like homer simpson drooling, i wanted to sound more like 'dang, now ive got a hankering for some of that'
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Mao

Tapewolf

Quote from: Brunhidden on November 19, 2008, 08:37:37 AM
your first quote- by 'siblings' its pretty obvious he means 'of all of SAIA', seeing as how aniz isnt spreading any more seed and even a family of 10 would be hard pressed to eat a moderately pudgy adolecent in a single night.
My first thought when Abel said 'yes' was that he was referring to SAIA, but when I realised he was rambling I changed my mind.  Either way, 'Cubi sent their children to SAIA to keep them safe, not to contribute to some grand banquet which they won't be able to attend  >:3  As for the ability to eat an adolescent in a single night, Kria and Lorenda certainly seem to be able to wolf people down in under a minute... the vacuum-cleaner salesman springs to mind.

*EDIT*
Actually the line 'our parents' might be a clue  :P

Quotehowever generations of this has probably bred out any tendancy towards ugly cubi children, its probably safe to assume the bulk of the victims are just cubi with poor self controll and got a little too friendly with cupcakes.
Alternatively, you may be able to shapeshift it away...

Quotethis suddenly gives me another bad imagery, of pyroduck saying to fa lina 'if you want babies so much why dont you have some of your own?' 'oh, but i ate all those already'.... which, considering fa lina, its a high probability hers might be on the chunkyer side of cubidom....
I think it's a pretty safe bet that she's sterile.  Which would explain a lot of her obsession with children.

Corgatha Taldorthar

That smirk Abel has in the second panel is classic. In fact, the more I think about it, it's the smirk that makes the character. I think (Not bothering to run through the comic again and correlate at the moment) he does it a lot when he's telling some sort of condescending/mocking comment, almost like he's trying to stop himself from laughing at his own joke, but I wonder if he realizes he's doing it.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Ghostwish

Green and red over mitts. A little early for the christmas spirit?

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 19, 2008, 08:53:48 AM
Quotethis suddenly gives me another bad imagery, of pyroduck saying to fa lina 'if you want babies so much why dont you have some of your own?' 'oh, but i ate all those already'.... which, considering fa lina, its a high probability hers might be on the chunkyer side of cubidom....
I think it's a pretty safe bet that she's sterile.  Which would explain a lot of her obsession with children.

Clan leader.

Alondro

*Charline hmms*  Is Abel talking about my family?   >:3

*Charles knows what the festival is called!*  The Burning Cubi Festival!  *ba-dum-dum*   :B
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Tapewolf

Quote from: Alondro on November 19, 2008, 10:25:19 AM
*Charles knows what the festival is called!*
Bizarrely enough, it immediately made me think of the 'Festival of Weeks' mentioned in the Old Testament, where once a year all the men have to line up in front of God for inspection or something.

GabrielsThoughts

clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

AndersW

And we seem to have an explanation as to why Abel seems to have fewer spots.

Quote from: AmberNarfing spots....

icarus

i love a fella who can deadpan spin an outrageous lie.

reminds me of the one about koalas. know they're called drop-bears in australia?

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that

llearch n'n'daCorna

Because they drop bears on your head.

Don't ask how they get them up the tree. It's a bit messy.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Rakala

Y'know in the first panel it seemed like he was telling the truth. Beatings at a boarding school? Seems understandable enough. Then I read the second panel and was not convinced.

RELEASE THE EVIL!

Janus Whitefurr

This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

joshofspam

Quote from: Rakala on November 19, 2008, 12:11:39 PM
Y'know in the first panel it seemed like he was telling the truth. Beatings at a boarding school? Seems understandable enough. Then I read the second panel and was not convinced.

RELEASE THE EVIL!
So your saying its a half lie, to turn away attention from the part with the beatings he just blurted out.

Abel seems to get along with Jyrus better then he gets along with Dan. He also seems to enjoy his pranks a lot more too.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Naldru

Remember that Abel has been known to reduce roommates to a state of total mental collapse.  Could this particular story be one of his well rehearsed techniques for dealing with other cubi at SAIA.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Naldru on November 19, 2008, 01:54:37 PM
Could this particular story be one of his well rehearsed techniques for dealing with other cubi at SAIA.
Well, if he succeeds in driving Jyrras insane, Dan will go berserk when he finds out.  He might even forget his oath not to vanquish 'Cubi.  While Abel surely knows more than enough to get out of that situation, he would have failed the mission which Fa'Lina gave him.  She would not be pleased.