09/04/08 [Abel 2 #29] - Home, or Not?

Started by Rafe, September 04, 2008, 09:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafe

Abel looks pretty numb there. 

I wonder whether Aniz is still to be counted on to kill May, or whether Fa'lina could stop him?  Would she do so in order to keep Abel from the mental torture of worrying about his mom?  Or, would she rather have him believe it to keep him at SAIA?
Rafe

Naldru

I think that Fa'lina could stomp him into the ground and use his bones for a necklace.  Whether she feels that the political situation among the cubi clans would allow her is another matter.  Some people have surmised that May may have committed suicide.  We'll probably find out next week.  However, Aniz has apparently stirred up a lot of resentment towards all cubi.  Returning home might even bring some of that resentment down upon May.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Don

I'm more curious to see what will happen if May see's Abel again, if she'll welcome him back like a loving mother or give the whole "This is all your fault" reaction..

In due to the rant..I think I'll make a hundred dollar donation at the end of this month.

Rafe

Speaking of Aniz, a while back, I realized something, which as far as I know, no one has mentioned yet:

Abel, in the DMFA timeline, is 399 years old.  In Abel's Story, if I remember correctly, he's 24.  That means the events in Abel's Story happened 375 years ago. 

Aniz was banned from SAIA for 375 years. 

Just thought I'd point that out.
Rafe

Jairus

Yeah, I noticed that. Makes you wonder where and what Aniz is up to right now... Abel's probably got a little half-sibling out there, and if Aniz tries anything again I can guess that Abel is going to have a few choice words with his father. Provided of course that Aniz is still alive.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

joshofspam

Whatever may's fate is,  Fa'lina seems pretty upset about the incident with Abel's mom.

Do most cubi even though most have a superiority complex to most other species. Have a respect to those who gave birth to them or to other cubi of the same clan, or do they just discard them as something of no further use.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

DarkAudit

Looks like Aniz just earned himself another beating, whether he knows it yet or not.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

Emerauld Drathmir

Quote from: Rafe on September 04, 2008, 10:14:06 PM
Speaking of Aniz, a while back, I realized something, which as far as I know, no one has mentioned yet:

Abel, in the DMFA timeline, is 399 years old.  In Abel's Story, if I remember correctly, he's 24.  That means the events in Abel's Story happened 375 years ago. 

Aniz was banned from SAIA for 375 years. 

Just thought I'd point that out.

Amber has made a great set-up, ne?
Yoho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me...Darn it Bean, no Looting until after dinner!
--Home of Angst Technology/Weak-end Warriors/Sorry We're Open, and InkTank-now back from hiatus.

demecowen

Abel got "I'm bored" look going for him.

If Abel does decide to come home will Abel want to have his emotions return to him as well. I mean it would difficult to talk to your own mother sounding like emotionless robot.
Yet it will be impossible to deal with her if things go horrible and another mental breakdown occur.

Zedd

Goatmon

Quote from: Naldru on September 04, 2008, 09:56:55 PM
I think that Fa'lina could stomp him into the ground and use his bones for a necklace.  Whether she feels that the political situation among the cubi clans would allow her is another matter.  Some people have surmised that May may have committed suicide.  We'll probably find out next week.  However, Aniz has apparently stirred up a lot of resentment towards all cubi.  Returning home might even bring some of that resentment down upon May.

I really doubt he'd allow May to do that; She's the lynch pin in his plan.  Aniz obviously lacks any real parental skills and has no grasp on subtle authority.  Fear (fear of his mother's death, in this case) is the only thing he seems to be using to keep Abel in line.

Kipiru

And that's Fa'lina for you1 When she says blunt she means it big time. 

Tapewolf

That's come up.  It gave the 'Edward is Aniz' theory something of a boost in some circles, since the timing is perfect for Dan to be his next attempt after Abel.  If true, it could either mean that 350 years was enough brooding for it to sink into Aniz' skull that he did it all wrong, or that he was trying to do a textbook job to avoid Fa'Lina killing him.  Alternatively, he could simply have got captured by Dragons before he could screw things up  >:3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Feather Dancer

Even Fa'lina seems a little uncomfotable at Abel confirming the "Death to Parent" threat but then we know she has a real love of kids and given her clan situation it's probably something she can identify with. Aniz likely will pester May more though, "When you die of old age, I'll put flowers on your grave" he said a ways back.

This is of course forgetting Kira was gonna go there, whether she does or not is another matter but she may unintentionally help the situation if she does.
Notalope, making all worries as tasty as pineapples.

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 05, 2008, 04:21:36 AM
That's come up.  It gave the 'Edward is Aniz' theory something of a boost in some circles, since the timing is perfect for Dan to be his next attempt after Abel.  If true, it could either mean that 350 years was enough brooding for it to sink into Aniz' skull that he did it all wrong, or that he was trying to do a textbook job to avoid Fa'Lina killing him.  Alternatively, he could simply have got captured by Dragons before he could screw things up  >:3
Huh. I missed that theory, but then again I wasn't even here when we learned about Aniz's "banishment" from SAIA (I came in at Ink's analysis of Abel, or somewhere about there). It's an interesting idea, certainly. Of course, if it is true, then Aniz is really due for an epic smackdown by BOTH of his sons. But then Dan is a member of Clan Cyra while Abel is a member of whatever clan he is... what happens when Cubi of two different clans breed? What do their kids end up being? And then Alexsi isn't a Cubi, so that throws that out the window...

Never mind, I see why I missed it. It just doesn't add up, unless I'm missing a piece.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on September 05, 2008, 04:27:58 AM
Of course, if it is true, then Aniz is really due for an epic smackdown by BOTH of his sons.
Abel, maybe.  Dan doesn't seem to have a problem with Edward, though.

QuoteBut then Dan is a member of Clan Cyra while Abel is a member of whatever clan he is... what happens when Cubi of two different clans breed? What do their kids end up being?
The most powerful clan of the two.  And Cyra is a powerful clan.

QuoteAnd then Alexsi isn't a Cubi, so that throws that out the window...
Never mind, I see why I missed it. It just doesn't add up, unless I'm missing a piece.
There are still some holes in it.  Actually, there are still holes in Aniz being Abel's father too, but he is.
Anyway.  The really interesting thing, thing which kicked it off is this.... Go through the archives.  We don't have many pictures of Edward, but find the ones we do have - most of them are around 300.  Apart from the physical resemblance to Aniz, see if you can find one clear shot of his left wrist, where the clan mark would be.

As for Alexsi, yes.  If we take Fluffy literally, a Being-Cubi pairing isn't guaranteed to give you a 'Cubi.

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 05, 2008, 04:43:55 AM
Of course, if it is true, then Aniz is really due for an epic smackdown by BOTH of his sons.
If he finds out what Aniz/Edward did to Abel and his friend and mom, and then realizes that his own dad has been stringing him along this whole time... Aniz is dead. Dan may not use his Cubi powers to their fullest, but he's an adventurer and is perfectly willing to fight Aniz. And Dan's got all those wonderful friends who I'm betting would be a little pissed off to find out what Aniz/Edward did... and now I'm smiling at the mental image of Wildy beating the crud out of Aniz while he screams for mercy while everyone waits in line with a weapon of their choice. If this idea is true, then the last time Aniz pulled this trick he was attacking two inexperienced fighters and an old woman. This time... adventurers, Fae, angry ferrets, and inventor with a giant robo gryphon, Alexsi with a hammer... the list goes on. And from what I recall hearing, Aniz isn't even all that powerful of a Cubi, meaning this will be even more lovely. Of course, this is all dependent on the Aniz actually being Edward.

QuoteBut then Dan is a member of Clan Cyra while Abel is a member of whatever clan he is... what happens when Cubi of two different clans breed? What do their kids end up being?
Okay, I can see that. In that case, why would Aniz breed with another clan if he wants to bolster his own clan's ranks, which is what it seems he's trying to do? I mean, Dan wouldn't be a member of Aniz's clan, he'd be a member of Destania's clan. Which complicates things somewhat... unless Aniz would be planning to gain powerful allies in other clans...
Still dependent on Aniz=Edward though.

There are still some holes in it.  Actually, there are still holes in Aniz being Abel's father too, but he is.
Anyway.  The really interesting thing, thing which kicked it off is this.... Go through the archives.  We don't have many pictures of Edward, but find the ones we do have - most of them are around 300.  Apart from the physical resemblance to Aniz, see if you can find one clear shot of his left wrist, where the clan mark would be.
To be fair, how many strips have we seen Edward in? Wasn't he in only five or so strips? *looks* Okay, three that I can find. Sure, the positioning is bad so we never see his left wrist, and the one time we get a clear shot of his wrist he's wearing a bracer (which looks like it's a part of a set of jewelry, to be honest - look at the baubles in his hair), but I find it a little hard to believe that Destania - a powerful Cubi who was a member of a powerful clan and seemed to hold some measure of influence in Cubi circles and who taught at a school where she had Abel as a student - would not at the very least recognize a Cubi clan marking on the few occasions his wrist was bare in those few strips. May is excusable: she didn't seem to know anything about Cubi, so she wouldn't know about the clan markings and if "Cid" ever took his bands off he could just excuse it as a tattoo (she even thought Abel's was a tattoo when she first saw it). But Destania would have probably gotten curious at some point and figured it out (she seems too smart to have not done so), so him passing it off as a tattoo wouldn't have worked.

Oh, I'm getting a headache from all of this.

As for Alexsi, yes.  If we take Fluffy literally, a Being-Cubi pairing isn't guaranteed to give you a 'Cubi.
Or Aniz could have killed the real Edward shortly before the wedding... or even just after it if he played his cards right...

It's two AM... what am I still doing awake? Though that probably explains why nothing of what I've been writing seems to fit together right in my head...

Still, all of this has given me a lot to think about. And I'll probably dream of Cubi and shapeshifters and half-siblings and epic beatdowns all night long... sounds like fun.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on September 05, 2008, 05:02:28 AM
Okay, I can see that. In that case, why would Aniz breed with another clan if he wants to bolster his own clan's ranks, which is what it seems he's trying to do?
That's a good point.  On the other hand, if he really did fall for Destania, he might have put that project behind him.  Or maybe he just didn't know.

QuoteI find it a little hard to believe that Destania - a powerful Cubi who was a member of a powerful clan and seemed to hold some measure of influence in Cubi circles and who taught at a school where she had Abel as a student - would not at the very least recognize a Cubi clan marking on the few occasions his wrist was bare in those few strips.
I'll have to compile the whole theory at some point and stick it as speculation in the wiki.  But in a nutshell, if she realised that he was a 'Cubi it might explain why she didn't kill him.

Then again, someone recently theorised that she knew full well who he was, and the 'by my laws' bit was about killing him specifically as some kind of clan rivalry.  The downside with that is it makes her not killing him even more mysterious, and solving that problem was one of the neat parts of the theory.

Anyway, it's certainly not proven, but if it is true, it has the potential to explain a hell of a lot of things which currently don't make sense.

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 05, 2008, 05:14:06 AM
QuoteI find it a little hard to believe that Destania - a powerful Cubi who was a member of a powerful clan and seemed to hold some measure of influence in Cubi circles and who taught at a school where she had Abel as a student - would not at the very least recognize a Cubi clan marking on the few occasions his wrist was bare in those few strips.
I'll have to compile the whole theory at some point and stick it as speculation in the wiki.  But in a nutshell, if she realised that he was a 'Cubi it might explain why she didn't kill him.

Then again, someone recently theorised that she knew full well who he was, and the 'by my laws' bit was about killing him specifically as some kind of clan rivalry.  The downside with that is it makes her not killing him even more mysterious, and solving that problem was one of the neat parts of the theory.

Anyway, it's certainly not proven, but if it is true, it has the potential to explain a hell of a lot of things which currently don't make sense.
Maybe she held off on killing him as a part of some plot to get Dan fully on her side, rather than him having divided loyalties between his parents. I can't figure out how she would do that, or why she would currently care about him given that Edward is currently imprisoned by the Dragons, but that's all I've got. Maybe she wants to bring Abel (with his significant appearance and whatnot) into her clan - I don't recall, can Cubi change clans? Maybe that's what Destania's trying to do: strength her clan even further, making it more powerful than it already is, though what that could accomplish (aside from giving them a bigger stick) is out of the reach of my sleep-deprived mind.

Darn it all, but this is fascinating!

Feather Dancer

It shows the talent of a good plot writer to cause such theories ;)

Dagardo

If Aniz did kill Edward it seems to me like Dee would (to some extent)be able to tell, if it was right after the wedding, 'cuz she's had about 7000 years of experience (give or take) by that time, And Aniz would be what, less than 1000? Might not make sense but that's just what im thinking.

Agreed, cuz from what i can tell Alexsi is pretty powerful considering she has only been beaten in a fight 3 times, 'course there is also the matter of how many fights shes been in. And honestly i think if you get her pissed enough she could even make Fa'lina wince.
That is also my thinking... I confuse myself. :mowdizzy

Lucheek

...Is the purple under Fa'Lina's lip natural or lip-stick?

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Feather Dancer on September 05, 2008, 05:30:16 AM
It shows the talent of a good plot writer to cause such theories ;)

Or arguably, that everyone here is incredibly, one might even say ridiculously, overanalytical in their study and desire for More Data. Some of the theories that crop up are like hillocks to the mountains of madness.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Tapewolf

For my part, I wasn't intending to go into the theory big-time here - if Jairus hadn't asked, I wouldn't have elaborated.

Alondro

*Charles stupidifies*  I think Dr. Ink is Dan's father... cuz then it would be like Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker, cuz Ink is all evil and stuff and Dan isnt and Ink wants him to join the Cubi Side and stuff.  :B

*Charline  :tumbleweed *  I think the brain damage from Charles' many deaths is proving cumulative.  Well, I think Edward can't be Aniz!  It'd prove too many specs right!  Writers hate that.   ;)
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Aisha deCabre

*Reads through the theories and headdesks.  Several times.*

I have a whole rant on how off-the-wall speculation gives one cancer...and I'm wondering if anyone else pointed out the fact that Aniz seems to hate Destania...but I'll leave it at that.

Anyway, about the strip itself, I'm glad that we're getting into some of the nitty gritty on the situation.  I for one am wondering about May as well.  And about where Kria said she'd be.  Since she knew Abel's family, I think it may be within her mercy to help May out once she got back.

But that's just me.   :rolleyes
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Jairus

Quote from: Aisha deCabre on September 05, 2008, 11:16:51 AM
*Reads through the theories and headdesks.  Several times.*

I have a whole rant on how off-the-wall speculation gives one cancer...and I'm wondering if anyone else pointed out the fact that Aniz seems to hate Destania...but I'll leave it at that.

Well, that's what happens when I'm up till two AM: I break out in speculation. Personally, I don't believe the Aniz=Edward theory, and a part of me thinks Aniz screwed up a second time and someone killed him, but I'm willing to wait and see what really happened.

Heh, here's an example of really wild speculation: maybe Aniz is really Moira, which would make Jyrras Abel's half-brother... and that also ruin the shipping. Never mind.

PS: No, I don't think Aniz is Moira. That's a little wild even for Amber.

Yugo

Stop all the speculation and surprise before you give Speed a heart attack!

In all seriousness though, this is as interesting as its ever been plot wise. I love Falina's face in the last panel.
https://www.weasyl.com/~boximus<br /><br />My Weasyl!

Naldru

Are you basing the idea that Aniz hates Destania on this one.  I had a different take on it.  I assumed that Aniz was in love with Destania,  :hug but he couldn't face her because of something related to his banishment, with the banishment due to some action his clan took in response to their perception of Fa'lina's weakness..    Perhaps Destania's clan had declared a vendetta against Aniz's clan because of what happened, and Aniz and Destania became star-crossed lovers stuck between warring families like Romeo and Juliet. Aniz left because he didn't want to place Destania in a precarious situation.  That was why I assumed that her stating that her laws required her to kill him might have been referring to the vendetta.

Of course, this all depends on Aniz having some good qualities, which some have claimed is a little far-fetched. :erk
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Feather Dancer

I was reading through the comics again ealier and noticed when Aniz cut Abel's forehead, he says "Especially if "she" is involved. Better be safe and not push it." He got cut of due to Hennya attacked him unfortantely but there's another hmm there. He clearly has issues with Dee (Good or bad) and we know she was in the Pain & Terror department.

Could this comic have been an early referal to her? It's certainly not Fa'Lina as he mentioned her by name. It could be something completely different and thrown in as a red herring but all this musing made me think about it. I'm just having a general hmm rather than linking though :)

This is the comic I'm refering to.