[Art, Acting] StarRunner's Art Bin (Redesigning StarRunner)

Started by James StarRunner, July 24, 2006, 05:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James StarRunner

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 11, 2008, 05:17:58 AM
I think you probably want to make the ears slightly longer on the top-left one.  Aside from that minor quibble, it's great.  Are you going to colour it?
*blink blink* ...Huh? Do you have the right thread? XD

Tapewolf

Quote from: James StarRunner on October 11, 2008, 04:55:12 PM
Yes, I'm just so awful at commenting on photographs that I made something up  >:3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

yakanaj

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 11, 2008, 05:00:19 PM
Quote from: James StarRunner on October 11, 2008, 04:55:12 PM
Yes, I'm just so awful at commenting on photographs that I made something up  >:3

oh, my gosh...

I don't know bout you, but i'm thinking of making this llearch harem thing into a roaming gnome kinda thing.  I could have fun with this... :mwaha

James StarRunner

Now THIS is what I'm going to use for my professional demo! All of these clips where done on the studio microphone. All voices are done by myself (yes, ALL voices).

All ambient sound and music are either done by myself or are royalty free. Seeing as I want to use this to get work, I'd like to know what you guys think.

http://www.crystaltopia.com/sound%20files/NewDemo.mp3

Tapewolf

Quote from: James StarRunner on October 28, 2008, 04:16:05 AM
Now THIS is what I'm going to use for my professional demo! All of these clips where done on the studio microphone. All voices are done by myself (yes, ALL voices).

What about the background chatter around 00:29?

QuoteAll ambient sound and music are either done by myself or are royalty free. Seeing as I want to use this to get work, I'd like to know what you guys think.
Perhaps it's just because I've been working with your voice for a couple of years, but I can tell that most of them are the same person.  Not all, I might add - some of the ones nearer the end are a close call.

As a demo reel it sounds okay to me - there are a few mic bumps throughout it, though.  Might be popping, I'm not quite sure.  I don't know how much they're expecting in terms of recording quality so I don't know if that would be a problem in and of itself, but it's something I guess you should be aware of.

Fragmaster01

Seconding Tapewolf's thoughts that the voices are rather obviously similar, and also the accent drops a bit during the Dr. Jyrras part("Oh for crying out loud, we've been over this!"). Otherwise, a very good demo.

Tezkat

Nice. :mowcookie The production values are definitely a cut above what you see from most amateur stuff.

I wouldn't be too critical of the "similar voices" thing, since showcasing acting range is at least as important as vocal flexibility. It seems to me that the individual clips are too long, though. You could probably cut a full sentence from each of them without losing anything. For demos, it helps to assume that your target market suffers from severe ADD. :animesweat

The "brave hunter" bit was really cute and funny. :3 I actually think it could work well as the final clip.

I noticed a number of recording issues, too. It sounded like your mic was catching way too much breath in places (especially noticeable on the "cursed amethysts" bit at the end).
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Lysander

Yeah, just overcome the mic issues and I'm sure this will do great. I was thinking while listening to the Radio project that some of the voice actors could be professional, and you were one of them.   :januscat
TytajLucheek

James StarRunner

Quote from: Tapewolf
What about the background chatter around 00:29?
...Shush you! That's just ambiance.  :U

Quote from: TapewolfPerhaps it's just because I've been working with your voice for a couple of years, but I can tell that most of them are the same person.  Not all, I might add - some of the ones nearer the end are a close call.
Heh, that's impressive. My own mom couldn't tell that was all me.

Quote from: TapewolfAs a demo reel it sounds okay to me - there are a few mic bumps throughout it, though.  Might be popping, I'm not quite sure.  I don't know how much they're expecting in terms of recording quality so I don't know if that would be a problem in and of itself, but it's something I guess you should be aware of.
I didn't have any headphones at the time (I always seem to pick that stuff out better then...), but I can hear it now. Even still, I don't think it's all too bad.

Quote from: Tezkat
Nice. :mowcookie The production values are definitely a cut above what you see from most amateur stuff.
Good. That's exactly what I wanted to hear!

Quote from: Tezkat
It seems to me that the individual clips are too long, though. You could probably cut a full sentence from each of them without losing anything. For demos, it helps to assume that your target market suffers from severe ADD. :animesweat
Wow... I already cut about 30 seconds from the blacksmith one.  :rolleyes I knew I should keep the clips short, but I'll try to keep them shorter.[/quote]

Quote from: Fragmaster01
Seconding Tapewolf's thoughts that the voices are rather obviously similar, and also the accent drops a bit during the Dr. Jyrras part("Oh for crying out loud, we've been over this!"). Otherwise, a very good demo.
Quote from: Lysander
Yeah, just overcome the mic issues and I'm sure this will do great. I was thinking while listening to the Radio project that some of the voice actors could be professional, and you were one of them.   :januscat
Thanks guys! I try my best!

In other news I finally got 'The Art of Voice Acting' book (and disc)!

Gabi

Quote from: James StarRunner on October 28, 2008, 04:16:05 AM

All ambient sound and music are either done by myself or are royalty free. Seeing as I want to use this to get work, I'd like to know what you guys think.

http://www.crystaltopia.com/sound%20files/NewDemo.mp3
Wow... that was amazing! And funny too. :3
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

James StarRunner

Thanks Gabi! ^_^

Now this next tasty picture was cooked up by Yakanaj! I've always wanted my cookies this big, and now I've got one! :3

We actually ended up using a pizza pan to make this monstrous peanut butter cookie! Hey, what does that weird human think he's doing?! Get away from mah cookie!

*nom*

WhiteFox

This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Zedd

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Impressive.  War On Food notwithstanding, are you planning to bring any to AC (assuming you can make it youself)?

yakanaj

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 08, 2008, 11:39:40 AM
Impressive.  War On Food notwithstanding, are you planning to bring any to AC (assuming you can make it youself)?

If we make it, I'll bring the cookies - but I can't guarantee that they will make it there. James and I both may dig into them as soon as we get on the road. We both have this thing for peanut butter cookies (and peanut butter in general) and we can't leave them alone. yum yum yum.  But I'll do my best.

:ipod

Gabi

Wow... and I thought TGH's cookies were huge! One of these could last for weeks!

Or you can bring one to the tea party and we can all share it.

yakanaj

Quote from: Gabi on December 09, 2008, 08:52:38 AM
Wow... and I thought TGH's cookies were huge! One of these could last for weeks!

Or you can bring one to the tea party and we can all share it.

That cookie lasted about an hour - maybe. It took us two days to go through all four of them.

King Of Hearts

Obi-Wan: That's no cookie.

alternatively...

Obi-Wan: I felt a great disturbance in the Kitchen, as if millions of peanuts suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

James StarRunner

Quote from: King Of Hearts on December 09, 2008, 08:51:34 PM
Obi-Wan: I felt a great disturbance in the Kitchen, as if millions of peanuts suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.
...And they tasted wonderful!

James StarRunner

I've had some slight ideas in redesigning my character. Nothing too major though. Note that this is also what he looks like in the future. So far this is just the Work In Progress.

As for the slight physical changes, his ears are slightly rounded, but the small tufts make it appear pointed. The stripe on his tail is now off center and was caused by trauma. Hair style changes slightly but only in the future when he changes it himself. Also in the future, he gets that tattoo (wonder why?).

Some may notice the acorn he's always worn is gone now. Wonder what happened to it? :3

http://www.sheezyart.com/art/view/2077042/
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2337986

Tapewolf

Quote from: James StarRunner on May 30, 2009, 12:05:16 AM
Some may notice the acorn he's always worn is gone now. Wonder what happened to it? :3

I'd say it was a patch, but the gloves were kind of doing that job.
Wait, I know... he's been 'Cubified and is using his own innate powers to hide the wings.  That's what the tattoo is!

>:3

James StarRunner

The acorn was actually a gift from Miaka and actually did serve an important purpose, but it never was a patch. >:3

Actually you're partially right with the tattoo. I'll say this much... It's supposed to resemble a clan/house marking like the cubi and it is actually magical.

Gabi

James StarRunner

Mystiqe

Quote from: James StarRunner on October 07, 2006, 07:28:14 PM

What? You were expecting a half naked girl or something? Shame on you! Everyone should know me better than that. And I... umm... I'm going to get some clothes now...

JAMES IN BOXERS JAMES IN BOXERS JAMES IN BOXERSSSS

JAMES IN STAR BOXERS

Mysti used tackle!

It's super effective!

James has ran out of usable boxers.

James whited out.

Kipiru

Zedd

Gabi

Funny. Apparently guys in boxers are fashionable these days. At least on the forum. Not that I'm complaining or anything.

Mao

Quote from: Gabi on June 26, 2009, 02:18:31 PM
Funny. Apparently guys in boxers are fashionable these days. At least on the forum. Not that I'm complaining or anything.

Hmm.. maybe so.  Maybe I should do one of Mao in either a pair of boxers, a thong, or a loin-cloth.... options options options.

Also, funny picture of James there, I liked it, particularly the coloring and the background.  Very nice.