[Art] The Panther's New Art Station (8/30 -- Page 3 and 4 of Liz and Laan Comic)

Started by Aisha deCabre, July 24, 2009, 01:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aisha deCabre

New pic time!  Apologies to Whitefox that it's not your request; I'm still trying to decide which character to draw. x3

Meanwhile, here's one I did just for fun.

Angel of the Falls.  When I was practicing my wings, this was what I thought of to put it to use.

Not sure if I should put even a very mild NSFW on this one.  No clothes, but nothing showing either.  I guess just in case someone has sticklers at work, there's your obligatory warning. x3

Guess I went a little bit haphazard on the snowy rocks and stuff.  Other than that, I guess it came out well. ^^  Enjoy!
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Cute, Aisha. I like it.

Sure the anatomy could stand some improvement - I think it's the slightly wobble in the lines that does it - but not enough to detract from the image as a whole. And that sort of thing is only going to improve with practice, so...

Yeah. *cough* Sorry, rambling a bit.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 09, 2009, 05:31:21 AM
Cute, Aisha. I like it.

Sure the anatomy could stand some improvement - I think it's the slightly wobble in the lines that does it - but not enough to detract from the image as a whole. And that sort of thing is only going to improve with practice, so...

Yeah. *cough* Sorry, rambling a bit.

Heh, no worries Llearch. :3  Thanks for the comment.  Yeah, I'm still practicing a bit on anatomy, moreover I'm used to drawing people from the front. xP
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Mao

Of the most of your drawings so far, this one is the best.  You have a tendency to make very fat torsos and then very skinny/short legs.  This time, I don't see any of that.  The torso looks great, the wings are splendid and the bit we can see of the legs is in proportion.  This is an excellent picture and a big improvement.  Great job Aisha.

Anatomy wanking aside, I love the water.  It looks great.  The effect you've used looks awesome here.

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: Mao Laoren on October 09, 2009, 12:14:58 PM
Of the most of your drawings so far, this one is the best.  You have a tendency to make very fat torsos and then very skinny/short legs.  This time, I don't see any of that.  The torso looks great, the wings are splendid and the bit we can see of the legs is in proportion.  This is an excellent picture and a big improvement.  Great job Aisha.

Anatomy wanking aside, I love the water.  It looks great.  The effect you've used looks awesome here.

Many thanks, Mao! ^^

I have been practicing anatomy a little bit lately with my pics.  Probably the fact that I look on ones that have been done only months ago, and can definitely find something wrong with them, means I might be improving. x3  Glad that this one is liked as well. ^^
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Gabi

Nice wings! If you look at them closely, it seems like each wing comes out of a different part of the shoulder blade, and the face doesn't have the volume effect the rest of the picture has (maybe a little shading under the jaw and around the cheek would do the trick), but you've done an amazing job. Both the shape of the torso (and wings!) and the colors are impressive! And I love the way you shaded the hair, and the general dim lighting effect.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: Gabi on October 09, 2009, 05:40:03 PM
Nice wings! If you look at them closely, it seems like each wing comes out of a different part of the shoulder blade, and the face doesn't have the volume effect the rest of the picture has (maybe a little shading under the jaw and around the cheek would do the trick), but you've done an amazing job. Both the shape of the torso (and wings!) and the colors are impressive! And I love the way you shaded the hair, and the general dim lighting effect.

Thankya Gab!  :hug  Yeah, now that you mention it, the wings do look a tad awkward, but just a tad.  Heh, I really oughta watch the slippage of the shading I'm prone to do as well. x3  Quite glad that you liked it though and thanks for the comments and the advice. :3

Perhaps I shall draw her again someday, I'm certainly proud of it, heh.
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Aisha deCabre

And now...new stuff.

This year for Halloween, I had decided not to go out and ask the public if they want characters in costumes...since nobody could ever figure out what to dress up as. xP  But I had only mentioned it in an MSN chat with a few of my friends, and thus got requests for only two.

These are just the sketches so far...up for renovation and coloring hopefully by the Halloween deadline.

First is Cogidubnus, as a Masque of the Red Death pirate.  Looks more like a noble swordsman with a foil right now, yeah, but wait'll I color it...this is more a pre-emptive sketch though, to see if I can get down the clothing layers and whatnot, and to see if it looks alright.  Maybe copped out a bit on drawing an arm with that cape. xP  But the style looks good on him, I must admit. :3  Perhaps I'll paint a skull on his muzzle to make him look more like the thing...

Second is Basilisk as a doctor, complete with the head thingy.  I had fun with this sketch, first time I had ever drawn a canine that must look distinctly like a German Shepherd...much less a demon. x3  Before anyone says, yes, his wings are a bit smaller than Bas describes, but I promised to draw them longer later when he commissions me. :3  Hope that one looks good before coloring too.

And this one is another just-for-fun picture I did, just like the snow leopard angel.  Meet the Felguard.  A demonic reptile I drew while practicing drawing leathery wings, this time.

I dunno whether to put a rating on this one.  He's nekkid, but he's a reptile.  There's nothing offensive. xP

Next time in my thread, shall be Whitefox's request, I promise; or may lightning strike me. XD
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Lysander

Oooo, the Cogidubnus picture looks like it will be good. Looks like you put some work into the face on Basilisk too.   :januscat
TytajLucheek

Sprocketsdance

Nice! I really like the Bas one  :3 he looks so friendly.. but we know better.. >.> yes we do...

Aisha deCabre

Aaaaand, the pics are colored and finished. :3

Costume pics are a bit belated for Halloween, but my muse was taking a break.  But I showed them to their people before the holiday ended, and they loved them. x3  So here they are.

Doctor Bas in full color.  "Next?" :3

Cogidubnus, buckling his swash as the red pirate.  En guarde.

And also, as promised, I sketched out Whitefox's request. :3

DSoF's Theo.  I drew Jade once after all, I figure I'd try her significant other.  Been a while since I drew a rodent, like last Christmas. xP  So I hope he looks pretty nice and rat-like, and everything's in order, before I color him.

Enjoy!
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Kipiru

WhiteFox

Quote from: Aisha deCabre on November 10, 2009, 05:47:54 PM

DSoF's Theo.  I drew Jade once after all, I figure I'd try her significant other.  Been a while since I drew a rodent, like last Christmas. xP  So I hope he looks pretty nice and rat-like, and everything's in order, before I color him.

Awesome!

He looks rat like enough to me. He still looks like Theonor, too, despite the stylistic differences. Sweet.

There are some lines that show the underside of his arm; I usually wouldn't include those since the sleeve is so billowy.

Doctor Bas in full color.  "Next?" :3
...And suddenly, I have a wicked urge to buy apples.  :U Nice expression, and the pose has real movement.

Cogidubnus, buckling his swash as the red pirate.  En guarde.
The hat looks like it's stuck on the side of his head, rather then on it. Again, though, nice expression.

BTW: have you seen the tutorials at PSG7? There's a lot of good stuff there on lighting..
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Aisha deCabre

Thanks alot for the comments!  And thanks for the lighting guide, Whitefox, it was quite useful.  Still it can be a bit hard for me to jump out of my shading habits, but it'll certainly help with practice. x3

At any rate, I finally have Theonor colored: Right here.  Thus my requests for this round are over and done with, and I can finally draw things for myself for the moment.  :P

I hope it's liked!  I fixed that underarm line thing too, it can be a bit hard to visualize how to draw a long flowing robe, but I hope I approximated it well enough.  I need to find a cloak. x3

Also, I have a new Liz and Laan comic arch in the works.  Ramin's Reunion, Page 1, can be found here.

For anyone who remembers, it's a continuation of this old thing: Which still makes me giggle a little. x3

Which in turn is the sequel-page to the last arch, The Visit, which I've completed.  It starts here, and ends here.  Heh, I took so much time between pages that you can see how my art style has shifted from simply working the characters in MS Paint.  I probably won't redo the first pages, as I like to show how my art (and crappy storytelling, perhaps) has evolved.

Y'all enjoy. :3
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

WhiteFox

Quote from: Aisha deCabre on November 25, 2009, 01:39:24 PM
And thanks for the lighting guide, Whitefox, it was quite useful.
I'm glad to hear it was helpful.

I hope it's liked!  I fixed that underarm line thing too, it can be a bit hard to visualize how to draw a long flowing robe, but I hope I approximated it well enough.  I need to find a cloak. x3
It is liked. It is very much liked indeed.

I picked the design for the robe (a mens 11th-century bliaut) specifically to work my cloth-drawing muscles. A lot of stuff in my comic is like that.

Quote from: Aisha deCabre on November 25, 2009, 01:39:24 PMI probably won't redo the first pages, as I like to show how my art (and crappy storytelling, perhaps) has evolved.
I know the feeling.

I'd like to say, by the way, that I think your art is much better then it looks. The characters are very expressive, in terms of facial features and body language. Particularly during conversations. The dialog feels natural, too, and the transitions from panel to panel are smooth. The scenes move along fluidly and easily. It's very enjoyable to read, and immersive (I've only read a page or three, but I might go through and read the whole thing when I can make time). Which is more then I can say for some comics, even if they're "better" drawn.

There's a part of drawing that's hard to explain. It's the part where you get into a characters head, and draw what they're thinking and feeling. It calls for little nuances of facial expressions that go past smilie and frownie faces... I think you do that pretty well. Most people only draw a character skin deep.

Stuff like lighting and anatomy... that comes with time and practice.

Sorry, I'm rambling now. Anyway, thank you for the art, and I like your comics.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: WhiteFox on November 25, 2009, 11:35:10 PM
And thanks for the lighting guide, Whitefox, it was quite useful.
I'm glad to hear it was helpful.

It is liked. It is very much liked indeed.

I picked the design for the robe (a mens 11th-century bliaut) specifically to work my cloth-drawing muscles. A lot of stuff in my comic is like that.

Quote from: Aisha deCabre on November 25, 2009, 01:39:24 PMI probably won't redo the first pages, as I like to show how my art (and crappy storytelling, perhaps) has evolved.
I know the feeling.

I'd like to say, by the way, that I think your art is much better then it looks. The characters are very expressive, in terms of facial features and body language. Particularly during conversations. The dialog feels natural, too, and the transitions from panel to panel are smooth. The scenes move along fluidly and easily. It's very enjoyable to read, and immersive (I've only read a page or three, but I might go through and read the whole thing when I can make time). Which is more then I can say for some comics, even if they're "better" drawn.

There's a part of drawing that's hard to explain. It's the part where you get into a characters head, and draw what they're thinking and feeling. It calls for little nuances of facial expressions that go past smilie and frownie faces... I think you do that pretty well. Most people only draw a character skin deep.

Stuff like lighting and anatomy... that comes with time and practice.

Sorry, I'm rambling now. Anyway, thank you for the art, and I like your comics.

Heh, I don't mind the rambling.

And thanks for the comments, again I'm glad you liked the pic, and the comics.  It's rather funny actually, to find out what strengths and weaknesses I have when creating characters and having them interact...I hear from a few artists that have trouble depicting emotion, and yet that kind of thing comes naturally to me, it seems.  That at least I am proud of, that if the character may not look good artistically I can still convey emotion and personality.

Here's hoping that I can keep that up as my artwork improves. x3
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Aisha deCabre

And now, this post is reserved for a very small art update. x3

Page 2 of Ramin's Reunion.  I plan on updating this every Monday providing I can still sketch up buffer pages every little bit.

Enjoy.  Perhaps soon I'll continue Cariu as well. x3
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Aisha deCabre

And now page 3.  I think I found an update schedule that works for me.

The comic'll probably be the only piece of new art I put up until Christmas though... >.>

Ah well, hope peeps are enjoying. x3
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Lisky

I love her expression in third panel :3... it's just so... *Foot heading for mouth at mach 3*

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Aisha deCabre

Many thanks, Bas! ^^

I hope the rest of you are enjoying the comic too. :3

Also for your enjoyment, Page 4.  I'm good with updating this thing every Monday, but not on the forums for some reason. xP

It may seem cliché to have a main character be a part of a hunted kind in the past, but what's a story without a little bit of trouble?  Heh...I may expand on the whole Psionic thing at one point.  One thing's for sure, I promise that's not a plot point in this little arc.  :3
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

WhiteFox

Quote from: Aisha deCabre on December 17, 2009, 08:48:53 PM

Well, I'm certainly still reading it. I haven't had a lot of time to post recently, though.

All stories need trouble... it keeps away the Mary-Sues.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Heh. I knew there was something I was looking forward to seeing.

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: WhiteFox on December 17, 2009, 11:01:23 PM
Quote from: Aisha deCabre on December 17, 2009, 08:48:53 PM

Well, I'm certainly still reading it. I haven't had a lot of time to post recently, though.

All stories need trouble... it keeps away the Mary-Sues.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 18, 2009, 12:25:48 PM
Heh. I knew there was something I was looking forward to seeing.

Many thanks you guys. :3  I'm glad to know that it is liked, and I'd like to thank the peeps on MSN that I show the pages to for letting me know that as well.

Anyway, without further ado, here's the next couple of pages. x3

Page 5
Page 6

Enjoy!  I know I am. xP
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Heh. I was wondering about your commentary about that last strip on MSN.

Bweeheehee.

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 24, 2009, 05:48:55 AM
Heh. I was wondering about your commentary about that last strip on MSN.

Bweeheehee.

xP  I didn't know you were lurking when I was talking about it.

...Then again I should really know better. :B
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I usually catch up with the story in the morning. I'm not usually around, but I do listen.

WhiteFox

(Gets to last panel of pg. 6) Heh... who doesn't love a good flip-out?

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 24, 2009, 05:06:36 PM
I usually catch up with the story in the morning. I'm not usually around, but I do listen.

Heh, good to know then Llearch, thanks! :3

Quote from: WhiteFox on December 24, 2009, 06:00:10 PM
(Gets to last panel of pg. 6) Heh... who doesn't love a good flip-out?

Ah, the face-fault.  Classic in all its flip-out glory. x3  Thanks for the comment too, WhiteFox!

And now we bring you the next two pages.  With bits of fun facts on the dragons and the world they live in, in each. xP

Yeah, I'm a thorough world-builder.  Enjoy!

Page 7
Page 8
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

llearch n'n'daCorna

WhiteFox

Quote from: Aisha deCabre on December 31, 2009, 03:07:50 PM
Yeah, I'm a thorough world-builder.  Enjoy!

World building is the fun part.

Conversely, exposition is tedious. So, kudos for revealing said world building in an interesting way.