2013/11/28 [DMFA #1447] A Bard in the hall is worth two in the bushes

Started by Prroul, November 28, 2013, 11:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prroul

So, the last time we saw this fellow was here where his ears weren't quite so... lapine. Of course, as we all know, Cubi are shapeshifters, so that means little, other than it might actually be the real deal.

Then again, considering he's so popularized that even his hat is a common enough symbol around Valentine's Day, anyone could be dressing up specifically to look like him, particularly a Bard who has a large repertoire of love ballads and romantic songs (and honestly, which one doesn't?), so it could legitimately be an impostor. After all, I'm sure plenty of Cubi also revere him (see also: Didi's fangirlism).  Or he could be the real thing.

The only solution here is to wait 'til next time when we tune in again...

Dun duuun DUUUUUUUUN!

ArchTeryx

We're just seen quite a rare bird: A cubi beatnik.

Whether he's Quoar himself, clan Quoar, or even just a groupie, Alex has her hands full, even without the Fae and Minidrag show going on outside.

Yarott

So, we are back in Lost Lake! Not only is there a Quoar Clan Member here, but we should also be back with some updates from our Multi-colored Spy's activity! So many things happening in this comic: The Cubi Leaders reunited, the Spying, This guy being here, the serial killer on the loose, B.O.B investigating them, Alexsi and Pyroduck's fate, Merlitz's status still a mystery (we can't still say that he really died) and, of course, the recurring sub-plot of Mab & Pip's Hidden Agendas. This is just so exciting! Maybe I missed one.

Venalitor

He really looks like Quoar, but as noted, he is cubi, so that means little. But, Quoar himself might be showing up simply because other revelations are happening and his will complete the tossing of the metaphorical salad and, in fact, combine the ingredients into one supreme food, both delicious and inducing of utter confusion.

joshofspam

With so much going on around Dan's friends right now, one can't be sure if Quoar being there is a good thing.

I mean, what if Quoar started to go batty and is the one responsible for the cubi killings or what if him simply being there escalates things?

He seems friendly enough, but if this isn't Quoar, at least the change in ears seems to indicate some kind of shapeshifting is involved with him.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Wanderer

ZacAttac21

Call me cynical, but I don't trust him. Remember what Destania said last time we saw her...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Venalitor on November 29, 2013, 02:07:24 AM
He really looks like Quoar, but as noted, he is cubi, so that means little. But, Quoar himself might be showing up simply because other revelations are happening and his will complete the tossing of the metaphorical salad and, in fact, combine the ingredients into one supreme food, both delicious and inducing of utter confusion.

If he is really Quoar, it's going to be a construct anyway since the real thing is 50ft tall.  So it can look like whatever he wants.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

ZacAttac21

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 29, 2013, 04:15:16 AM

If he is really Quoar, it's going to be a construct anyway since the real thing is 50ft tall.  So it can look like whatever he wants.

Wait, what? Can't he just shrink himself like all the others?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Raxuno on November 29, 2013, 05:57:43 AM

I always thought so, but Amber seems to have taken a stance recently that they can't do that.  The mass has to go somewhere, I guess.
The clan leaders who have appeared at the meeting have all done so as avatars, i.e. remotely-controlled constructs (this is also how Fa'Lina can appear in several places at once).  The actual Clan Leader is holed up somewhere safe.

Yarott

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 29, 2013, 06:09:12 AM

I always thought so, but Amber seems to have taken a stance recently that they can't do that.  The mass has to go somewhere, I guess.
The clan leaders who have appeared at the meeting have all done so as avatars, i.e. remotely-controlled constructs (this is also how Fa'Lina can appear in several places at once).  The actual Clan Leader is holed up somewhere safe.

That... will be a HUGE dilemma for if Dan were to become his own Clan Leader. Has Dan ever thought of that before? Has he ever had a "Imagine Spot" about his possible future as the Youngest Clan Leader?

Naldru

I believe that the size issue only occurs for clan leaders who have ascended (become tri-wings).
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Tuyu

I love the way he's made his headwings into hatband decorations. :D

Now, who went and told Mab she should be protecting the Inn?

ZacAttac21

I don't remember her talking about that, but it makes sense...

Wait, does that mean your Daryil has been running around in an avatar as well?

lilpuppy23

Wait, couldn't cubi just massively increase their density???

For example:
The volume of 1 ton of foam is... gigantic and way over 50ft in at least 1 dimension.
The volume of 1 ton of depleted uranium is... less then 50ft in any dimension.

This is because depleted uranium has a far greater density than something like foam. If the cubi can turn their wings into swords, I'm sure they can shrink compact themselves tiny.

joshofspam

I can't really remember that post all to well, but it sounded more like it was achievable. But not very easy thing for them to be able to do.

When I think back to it, I get the image of a Tri-wing that tries that might look incredibly constipated or like they trying to pull the stomach in all day.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

ishidan

Quote from: lilpuppy23 on November 30, 2013, 01:13:24 AM
Wait, couldn't cubi just massively increase their density???

For example:
The volume of 1 ton of foam is... gigantic and way over 50ft in at least 1 dimension.
The volume of 1 ton of depleted uranium is... less then 50ft in any dimension.

This is because depleted uranium has a far greater density than something like foam. If the cubi can turn their wings into swords, I'm sure they can shrink compact themselves tiny.
And then fall through the floor of any building not designed for them, because they're compressing the mass (and therefore weight) of a 50 foot tall (and proportionately wide)  body into the footprint of a 6 foot tall body.  Even if the structure could hold the weight if properly distributed, holding the weight when it's being supported in the smaller surface area is another story.

Any math majors out there want to figure out how much a 50 foot tall humanoid would weigh, assuming standard human flesh density?  Ignore the whole square/cube law bit about even greater bone and muscle density being required to support its own weight...

Tapewolf

Quote from: joshofspam on November 30, 2013, 01:58:50 AM
I can't really remember that post all to well, but it sounded more like it was achievable. But not very easy thing for them to be able to do.

Well, the post was here: http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php/topic,9551.msg372539.html#msg372539
"The clan leaders in their actual form are massive and they can't really shrink down their true forms."

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Raxuno on November 29, 2013, 03:52:46 AM
Call me cynical, but I don't trust him. Remember what Destania said last time we saw her...

And, of course, Destania herself is a font of truth and trustworthiness...

Quote from: Wanderer on November 29, 2013, 02:55:10 AM
He looks... shorter than I expected.

... He's a bit short for a storm trouper<sic>?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

ZacAttac21

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 30, 2013, 02:55:49 PM

"...I'm not the only one who would enjoy seeing the end of Siar's line." That's what I was referring to.

It's not a matter of whether or not Destania is trustworthy, it's the fact that we know she's sending someone else after Abel but we have no idea who it is yet.

D'ymkarra

Quote from: Raxuno on December 01, 2013, 12:29:53 AM

"...I'm not the only one who would enjoy seeing the end of Siar's line." That's what I was referring to.

It's not a matter of whether or not Destania is trustworthy, it's the fact that we know she's sending someone else after Abel but we have no idea who it is yet.

My impression was that Destania was referring to Hizell, who nearly decimated Siar's clan in the first place, not another 'cubi; This IS likely about Abel, but not in the way we think..perhaps a revelation regarding his duality?
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

Eboreg

Really? 'Cause I read that as the idea that she's not going to send anyone else after Abel since he already has plenty of enemies as is. The whole thing is that Destania's attack was supposed to be a mercy killing since the enemies of Siar clan would probably do a lot more than just stun him and hack off his head. Also, if some of them see anything that connects Danny boy to the inn, it's going to pretty much be game over for him. (Let's see, this guy lives at the inn, looks a lot like Dee's husband, and has similar wings to her. Not suspicious at all.)
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

ZacAttac21

Quote from: Eboreg on December 01, 2013, 06:44:18 PM

Really? 'Cause I read that as the idea that she's not going to send anyone else after Abel since he already has plenty of enemies as is. The whole thing is that Destania's attack was supposed to be a mercy killing since the enemies of Siar clan would probably do a lot more than just stun him and hack off his head. Also, if some of them see anything that connects Danny boy to the inn, it's going to pretty much be game over for him. (Let's see, this guy lives at the inn, looks a lot like Dee's husband, and has similar wings to her. Not suspicious at all.)
Hmm, I interpreted it as "He did not accept the swift and painless death, so now I'm going to make sure he gets a long and painful one." I don't really see Destania wanting to be merciful to him in any regard, considering he reminds her of Aniz. And she doesn't have to worry about anyone finding out about Dan as long as she makes her move while he's not there.

I will admit your interpretation also makes some sense to me, but from what we know about Destania, I don't think she knows the meaning of the word "mercy."

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Raxuno on December 01, 2013, 11:35:33 PM
I will admit your interpretation also makes some sense to me, but from what we know about Destania, I don't think she knows the meaning of the word "mercy."

My take on it? I'm betting that Destania will turn out to be a very very complex person. She may or may not know the meaning of the word "mercy", but I'll bet she's playing not just with multiple hands of cards, but multiple decks. Everyone who sees her sees a different thing, from what I can see - how she behaves with Biggs is different to how she's portrayed as behaving in SAIA, which is totally different to how she's been seen by Dan.

For all that lots of Cubi who we presume to have known her well enough over many decades (certainly longer than Dan) have claimed that she's cold-hearted; for all that we've seen her write her step-daughter off for hanging out with a dragon[1]; for all that Dan may be re-evaluating his mother... we don't actually know the truth. All we know is what we've been shown - and what we've been shown (due to the limitations of the format) are conversations with various people.

Any of whom may or may not be telling the truth as they see it, or, in fact, simply lying through their teeth for personal gain. You can't say that the Tri-wings involved don't have far-reaching plans, and it may be they're simply manipulating Dan by being experienced enough to predict him. They may or may not have his best interests in mind.

Heck, they may be messing with his head simply for the lulz.

In short - we saw Dee early on waving hello to Dan in Twink Territories[2]; we saw a different Destania talking to Biggs about getting Alexsi to visit her; we saw a different one again after Alexsi let slip she was walking out with Pyroduck, again with Biggs; and we've seen a different one again as described by the various Tri-wings to Dan. I believe that Dee will turn out to have reasons for all of these reactions, and they may not be what we think in _any_ case.

And if nothing else, I point to the report from the Oracles about Destania having died at the hands of Dan. That's got to mean something - even if it's not what any of us think. >.<

[1] I hasten to point out that we saw this from the point of view of a conversation with Biggs; Dee, to me, seems to chameleonise herself remarkably well. It would not surprise me to learn she _did_ care, and in fact was only putting up a front for Biggs.
[2] I admit this may be apocryphal, as that section of the histories may or may not be canon, as per Amber's preference.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Prroul

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 02, 2013, 12:40:19 AM
My take on it? I'm betting that Destania will turn out to be a very very complex person. She may or may not know the meaning of the word "mercy", but I'll bet she's playing not just with multiple hands of cards, but multiple decks. Everyone who sees her sees a different thing, from what I can see - how she behaves with Biggs is different to how she's portrayed as behaving in SAIA, which is totally different to how she's been seen by Dan.
Really? Because I find how she acts with Biggs is entirely consistent with her reputation as SAIA. She has no 'morality' as you and I might define the term. No shred of compassion or mercy. However, she is also cold and calculating, and will do whatever it takes to achieve her goals.

It has been implied that she has tortured and killed for Biggs before, and has had zero compunctions about doing so, entirely consistent with her being the teacher for classes in torture and pain at SAIA. She's been encountered mostly in the role of a 'secretary', however I am beginning to think it is closer to the term 'consiliori' from Mafia terminology... the one who gets the dirty work done, the cut-out so that the godfather is not taken down by anything, the 'true-bearded man' (to use another term, even if Des is, in fact, female). In brief, his right-hand enforcer to get whatever needs doing done.

QuoteFor all that lots of Cubi who we presume to have known her well enough over many decades (certainly longer than Dan) have claimed that she's cold-hearted; for all that we've seen her write her step-daughter off for hanging out with a dragon[1]; for all that Dan may be re-evaluating his mother... we don't actually know the truth. All we know is what we've been shown - and what we've been shown (due to the limitations of the format) are conversations with various people.
Don't forget her appearance in Abel's story, which rather confirms her sadistic side implicitly and on-screen, only Fa'lina's interference kept her from killing Abel that day.

QuoteAny of whom may or may not be telling the truth as they see it, or, in fact, simply lying through their teeth for personal gain. You can't say that the Tri-wings involved don't have far-reaching plans, and it may be they're simply manipulating Dan by being experienced enough to predict him. They may or may not have his best interests in mind.

Heck, they may be messing with his head simply for the lulz.
No, the fate of the entire Cubi race is rather more serious than 'for the lulz', even for clan leaders with dubious sanity. They might certainly be manipulating Dan, but that can also go both ways. After all, 'guidance' is nothing more than manipulation dressed up in morality.

QuoteIn short - we saw Dee early on waving hello to Dan in Twink Territories[2]; we saw a different Destania talking to Biggs about getting Alexsi to visit her; we saw a different one again after Alexsi let slip she was walking out with Pyroduck, again with Biggs; and we've seen a different one again as described by the various Tri-wings to Dan. I believe that Dee will turn out to have reasons for all of these reactions, and they may not be what we think in _any_ case.
There is no more convincing method actor than a sociopath. Dan and (formerly) Alexsi were exempt from seeing her 'bad' side, because it was important to her plans that they not see it. See also: Dexter.

QuoteAnd if nothing else, I point to the report from the Oracles about Destania having died at the hands of Dan. That's got to mean something - even if it's not what any of us think. >.<
Generally, reports from the Oracles are so shrouded and obtuse that the only way to figure out what it truly means is to wait until it actually happens.

Tapewolf

IIRC Amber did mention that Destania's extended life has come at a cost of her sanity, so her motivations may not ultimately make sense to anyone else.

Eboreg

Anyone else notice that Pip's wings look like they belong to Mab? And with those head frills ... oh no.
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

Tuyu

Quote from: Eboreg on December 03, 2013, 07:46:17 AM
Anyone else notice that Pip's wings look like they belong to Mab? And with those head frills ... oh no.
Are you suggesting that fae + drake = cubi triwing?

Should I start looking for odd colored pieces of quartz?

Eboreg

Quote from: Tuyu on December 03, 2013, 12:01:22 PM
Quote from: Eboreg on December 03, 2013, 07:46:17 AM
Are you suggesting that fae + drake = cubi triwing?

Should I start looking for odd colored pieces of quartz?

Fixed it for you.

Silvis

Well I think it's just a random bard who looks remarkably like Quar and owns a +5 Hat of Ear Shape Shifting.
"If there is anything to learn in the world, it is often that no matter where you are...there is a bigger fish out there. And then even then there is usually a bigger fish than that one. And then a bigger fish with like, futuristic robotic arms and stuff. And then it just gets weird."
~Amber M. Panyko
P.S.IT'S A MIMIC!
P.P.S. Why did you take out Caleb?! WHYYYYYYYYYYY!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
P.P.P.P.S. Think about that.
P.P.P.S. Lost track of 'P's there.
P.P.P.P.P.S I am a stickler for typos.