2013/07/26 [DMFA #1417] - Lollipop, lollipop, oh lolly lollipop~

Started by Infranscia, July 25, 2013, 11:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Infranscia

Figured it was Dimanika. XD  Kind of an interesting trait.  I'm wondering whether that's actually, say, a spell or if she's shapeshifting based on what they're thinking.  (Sure, Dan has a mind shield, but does a shield made by standard Cubi work on clan leaders?)  The former might, in some ways, be easier to pull off, especially in a crowd.  Granted, she's Dimanika and she's probably not going to tell you either way. XD

I wonder...  What would happen if she ran into someone with prosopagnosia (AKA 'face blindness')?  Granted, if they're completely face-blind, it might not make much difference to the person she encounters.  She might seem a little 'off' to someone with the associative form though, depending on how accurate the image is and how well they know the person she looks like.

Also, I wonder what would happen if the person thought about was imaginary. X3
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

Kirrin_Shadowclaw

That's a good question but i'd think if the person were imaginary it wouldn't matter she'd still look like them but the person seeing and recognizeing her as that imaginary person might think they're hallucinating or something. Also...I guessed right it was Dimanika. *does happy dance* :ipod  Sorry about that, just usually when i guess at something in a comic it usually turns out the answer is the polar opposite of what i picked.
Ask not for whom the bell tolls, ask why is that guy holding his ears?

e_voyager

i think i'm going to like this clan leader. she's silly.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

thegayhare

thats an interesting trait

It makes me wonder about something though

Mental illness with cubi,  not the normal stuff like depression, or bi polar bear disorder

But stuff like multiple personality disorder,  would a cubi suffering from this subconsciously shapshift into the form Identified with the separate personality?  could the personalities be so distinct that the form might belong (or feel they belong) to another clan?  Or species, or would the cubi identity be grounded too deeply.

Giovannini Mirror Syndrome would be interesting,   and while this only been recorded once in the real world (house doesn't count)  I think that amongst a mind reading shapshifting race it,  (that has to careful because there are things out there that can eat there brains  I could see sometihng happening that would destroy a young cubi's sense of self forcing them to take on the personality, moral and in this case physical traits of the person they are interacting with.   Good gods how scary would that be meeting some one who effortlesly mimiced you in every way, not out of malice or with any thought but because they couldn't stop themselves.

Mental illness and magical powers are a scary mix,  it's like the old Ray Bradbury martian story.  3 human land on mars,  but there rocket ship happens to land in a martian sanitarian,  because the martians have the inate ability to project illusions the warden doesn't belive they are in fact from another planet,  Instead he feels that the ship, and crew are delisions projected by the captain so to cure him he shoots the captain only to find the ship and bodies still there.

HaDDea

Quote from: e_voyager on July 25, 2013, 11:48:05 PM

I dunno, she was pretty darn rational in her conversation with Dan - I'd say playful, but not silly. Kind of a defining characteristic of most of the Triwings we've met so far - a playful demeanor covering up very calculating personalities.

Also: Dimanika's gams...  :erk

llearch n'n'daCorna

Heh. I do like how Dimanika wants another lollipop. I can get behind that sentiment.

Particularly when they're that big. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Kibin

Said clan leader also had a habit of capturing dragon babies, and 'serving' them to Cubi wronged by the dragons for them to do whatever they want with, I recall.

killpurakat

This makes 10 Clan Leaders or their respresentatives accounted for. We have yet to see Quoar's rep and Owona (or her rep).

I think Dimanika's spell may act like a mirror, showing the person she is chatting with who they were just thinking about, and once they stop focusing on any body in particular, they can see through the spell to her.

Also, anyone else have a sudden craving for a giant lollipop? I recall getting the cherry-flavored ones at the mall here in town, but that shop moved out, and now I have no clue where I can buy a giant lollipop at 10:30pm...  :cry

joshofspam

Why if it isn't the Queen of the Lolli Pop Guild. :)

Seeing as she's rather being up front about everything, I'm starting to wonder if  Dimanika might be taking a bit more of the direct approach to figure Dan out?

I must admit, she's a bit cute and seems to give off a personality that could pull off tricks on you at any given moment.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Anri

Hey, when you have three hands, why not think three lollipops!

Kirrin_Shadowclaw

Quote from: Anri on July 26, 2013, 03:28:48 AM
Maybe she isn't that good at multitasking?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Infranscia on July 25, 2013, 11:16:24 PM
Figured it was Dimanika. XD  Kind of an interesting trait.  I'm wondering whether that's actually, say, a spell or if she's shapeshifting based on what they're thinking.  (Sure, Dan has a mind shield, but does a shield made by standard Cubi work on clan leaders?)  The former might, in some ways, be easier to pull off, especially in a crowd.  Granted, she's Dimanika and she's probably not going to tell you either way. XD

From what I've heard, Clan Leaders in the flesh have an aura that causes magical effects in those nearby.  Jin has a healing aura.  I've heard Zezzuva makes things seem grey, but that didn't seem to happen with Dan (OTOH, she might have been a projection).  That Dimanika's might cause people to see someone else instead of her sounds about in-character.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Wanderer

I'm not sure any of the clan leaders are actually here in person. It would seem much more likely that they've sent avatars of themselves. I remember reading something from Amber somewhere saying that was how they normally interacted with people when they wanted to seem to do so directly. Much safer than actually heading out of their hiding places personally. Whether or not their normal magical effects would carry over into those avatars is something I couldn't say.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Wanderer on July 26, 2013, 07:06:10 AM
I'm not sure any of the clan leaders are actually here in person. It would seem much more likely that they've sent avatars of themselves. I remember reading something from Amber somewhere saying that was how they normally interacted with people when they wanted to seem to do so directly. Much safer than actually heading out of their hiding places personally. Whether or not their normal magical effects would carry over into those avatars is something I couldn't say.

Very true.  Though, if anywhere is safe for them to travel to in person, it's going to be SAIA (and you could likely warp there directly as Aniz did, it's not like they'd have to travel cross-country).
IIRC it's possible for the more powerful Creatures (I presume dragons) to use the avatar's link to break into the hiding-place so even sending an avatar can be risky.

Amber Williams

It isn't really so much safety so much as size.  The clan leaders in their actual form are massive and they can't really shrink down their true forms.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on July 26, 2013, 09:26:39 AM
It isn't really so much safety so much as size.  The clan leaders in their actual form are massive and they can't really shrink down their true forms.

Fair enough.  I was given to understand that they could use some kind of shapeshifting trick to do that, but that was a few years ago.  (Time to run a consistency check on my stories)

e_voyager

Quote from: Kibin on July 26, 2013, 12:11:42 AM

Said clan leader also had a habit of capturing dragon babies, and 'serving' them to Cubi wronged by the dragons for them to do whatever they want with, I recall.
i said she was silly not that she wasn't vengeful.  how much more damage could she have done by destroying the dragons towns homes or their families rather then kidnapping the young children and giving them to their victims an chance to decide? in Fa`Lina's case at least the victim showed mercy and adopted the child. is some cases they may have been raised brainwashed to restore their own kind or family line. who knows for sure what some of the victims did. and dragon seem to breed like humans do would would if not for living space and food constraints.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

joshofspam

Quote from: Kirrin_Shadowclaw on July 26, 2013, 03:32:48 AM
Quote from: Anri on July 26, 2013, 03:28:48 AM
Maybe she isn't that good at multitasking?
Or possibly it's having three hands leaves another hand free for a second sucker while the third hand opens doors.

Gosh I hate having only two hands and carrying a boat load of groceries and I have to struggle at my door just to get the keys and open the door. :B
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Kirrin_Shadowclaw

Heh, ever try the 'let some bags hang from your foot and hop' method of opening a door? It is not pleasant.

MT Hazard

Off course you realize, to break pattern/keep the theme going, she needs to give Dan an item of clothing.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Lurkie

Quote from: killpurakat on July 26, 2013, 12:20:33 AM
Also, anyone else have a sudden craving for a giant lollipop? I recall getting the cherry-flavored ones at the mall here in town, but that shop moved out, and now I have no clue where I can buy a giant lollipop at 10:30pm...  :cry

I could do with some giant grape lollipops.  And lime.  I love lime candy.  Alas, it's an hour bus ride -- each way -- to the only store I know of that carries them.  Not only a long ride, but it's 93° F in the shade here.  I'm staying in the house, where it's only 90.
|  Space   ||   Space  ||  It's Hard  ||  A Place  ||  Burma  |
|  is Big  ||  is Dark ||   to Find   ||  to Park  ||  Shave  |

Anri

So Fa'lina as we know her is an avatar? Or would the fact her clan has been decimated and/or the act of sustaining SAIA be bringing her power levels down to the point where she isn't so massive any more.

Wanderer

Considering how often we've seen Fa'lina go traveling, I would think an avatar is most likely. Surely she better than almost any Cubi would have good reason not to expose her true self to danger by going out. However much more it is about convenience than safety, I'm pretty sure she's a target for lots of unfriendly people, if they thought they really had a chance of getting her.

Zorro

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 26, 2013, 12:09:48 AM
Heh. I do like how Dimanika wants another lollipop. I can get behind that sentiment.

Particularly when they're that big. ;-]

Melee weapon Two Giant Lollypops.  Right Paw Peppermint, Left Paw NORDIC Licorice.

If the right one doesn't get you the left one will!

Eboreg

Is anyone else thinking that Dan was thinking about Merlitz's "imaginary" friend?
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

Kirrin_Shadowclaw

Hm, i've been thinking. I just can't get over how Superb Dimanika's face looks and i keep imagining her voice as either one of Tara Strong's or Grey Delisle's  (Not sure i spelled that last name right.)

Yarott

Quote from: Anri on July 26, 2013, 08:39:41 PM

So Fa'lina as we know her is an avatar? Or would the fact her clan has been decimated and/or the act of sustaining SAIA be bringing her power levels down to the point where she isn't so massive any more.

I would like to know as well.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Anri on July 26, 2013, 08:39:41 PM

Let's see: She has no symbol on her chest, she can be in several places at once and according to her cast page, she never emits any emotions.  I'd be surprised if she was not an avatar or some kind of projection.

Attic Rat

I wonder what Dimanika is learning about Dan.
He's very trusting, closing his eyes on a stranger's say-so. He's fairly mild-tempered, in that he doesn't anger easily. Beyond that? There must be something.

He's already been told these meetings with clan leaders aren't accidental.
I'm hoping they'll decide he's "harmless" and ignore him from here on out. Nobody with sense wants to have powerful people's attention, unless they're doing something worth showing off.
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

Zebra Bug

Well, I am a little surprised. I had actually thought it WAS Destania, because she said 'Dan' when she first saw him, and her response seemed rather passive-aggressive to me. but I like it being Dimanika though. She is so utterly adorable. And...her personality is amazing. She is much nicer than Zezzuva at least. Or so she appears. She reminds me of someone though....a character from an anime....I can't place it though.

Edit:
Quote from: killpurakat on July 26, 2013, 12:20:33 AM
This makes 10 Clan Leaders or their respresentatives accounted for. We have yet to see Quoar's rep and Owona (or her rep).

So.....10 clan leaders/representatives? Um...Dan=Cyra, Mink=Jin, Zezzuva=herself, Dimanika=herself, Nact'larn=herself, Piflak=herself...who else?

EDIT 2: Ok...>Abyss=Kish'ta, and Jermemiah=Taun...um...horned....cat-bunny girl?=Seme? So that is nine....Fa'lina herself says she does not count....so that is nine of the existing 11. Ok. Just had to reread. XD

Boy. I took you out of this world and put you back into it. Don't make me try to repeat step one. -Kria