2013/10/25 - [DMFA #1439] I've got the blue bug blues

Started by Techcubi, October 25, 2013, 01:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stilghar

"For a man to help others with all his gifts and native strength: that is the noblest work."
-Sophocles

Mr Cartier

http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1222.php

As for how a pure Insectis-Cubi is made. Earlier on pointed out by Vinom.

Also made this account to answer this spesific question, and this page seriously needs to be in the Demonology 101.

Vinom

Quote from: Howl on October 25, 2013, 04:41:49 AM
Quote from: Vinom on October 25, 2013, 04:11:08 AM
That would be rational... I don't think she's going to be anywhere close to rational.
Picking out her targets and eliminating only the bad apples? Yeah, she's too far gone for that. If you mean what I remarked about Pyroduck though, it's more like "Oh, you're with my daughter? Whatever, I don't care. -stabbity-"
"Oh, you're with my daughter? Whatever, I don't care. To show you how much I don't care I'm now GOING TO SKIN HER IN FRONT OF YOU BECAUSE SHE BETRAYED ME!!!!"

Quote from: Mr Cartier on October 25, 2013, 09:42:10 AM
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1222.php

As for how a pure Insectis-Cubi is made. Earlier on pointed out by Vinom.

Also made this account to answer this spesific question, and this page seriously needs to be in the Demonology 101.
I love being right.

Stormrunner

One of the stipulations in that comic is that the cubi and the other have a kid -

So either the demonology on the cubi is wrong about the list of hybrids (possible) because no cubi has tried.

Or she is a mythos cubi hybrid.

Though I'm betting on the first one since Amber did mention having to change the demonology on hybrids.

Vinom

Quote from: Stormrunner on October 25, 2013, 12:03:42 PM
One of the stipulations in that comic is that the cubi and the other have a kid -

So either the demonology on the cubi is wrong about the list of hybrids (possible) because no cubi has tried.

Or she is a mythos cubi hybrid.

Though I'm betting on the first one since Amber did mention having to change the demonology on hybrids.

I'm operating under the assumption that the prerequisite of having a child whose in the clan doesn't require the child to have been born into that clan.

Jasae Bushae

Umm...If I recall right, didn't zezzuza's letter mention she had no idea why the Angels declined and theorized that it was because they nommed souls? (As related to a theory that the Cubi's decline was partially due to the soul nomming treend they picked up)
That would mean id think that either the letters could be taken with a grain of salt or she is manipulating things a tad...
I might be a hack writer but thats no reason not to Enjoy writing anyways
http://greenfrostfire.deviantart.com/

Kuzma Volkov

I'm just glad it isn't a spidery hybrid cubi... >.<;

Just sort of wonder if the insects breed like normal insects do... Meaning for every 1 you see in your house there are a possible 1,000 you don't see...

Vinom

Quote from: Kuzma Volkov on October 25, 2013, 12:19:28 PM

Just sort of wonder if the insects breed like normal insects do... Meaning for every 1 you see in your house there are a possible 1,000 you don't see...
Assuming she adopted a 'Queen' I'm going with secret insectis-cubi empire.

Arcblade

Wonder if you can do the cubification ritual for multiple generations.  Like, assume Kiki is/was pure Insectis.  Say she has a kid (call her Lili) with a compatible Mythos.  Lili grows up and has a kid with a 'Cubi from Zezzuva's clan, and the kid breeds true as a Zezzuva 'Cubi.  We know Lili can be cubified, using that kid.  The question is then whether the ritual can be repeated on Kiki, since her child Lili is now a Zezzuva 'Cubi.  

This still assumes a Mythos intermediary compatible with both 'Cubi and Insectis, but if you can go back one generation, you can probably go back several, until you get a 'Cubi compatible kidlet.  Insectis live, at minimum, 130 years.  That's long enough to get several generations in.  

Quote from: Vinom on October 25, 2013, 12:37:19 PM

Oh crap.  Using this theory of back-Cubification, that is entirely freakin' possible.   :erk

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jasae Bushae on October 25, 2013, 12:15:19 PM
Umm...If I recall right, didn't zezzuza's letter mention she had no idea why the Angels declined and theorized that it was because they nommed souls? (As related to a theory that the Cubi's decline was partially due to the soul nomming treend they picked up)
That would mean id think that either the letters could be taken with a grain of salt or she is manipulating things a tad...

Or she's theorising about the Angels.  It's interesting, though - Biggs seems to be acting like the Dragons tried to wipe his lot out as well.  And Vampires kind of dwindled away before being wiped out by... a Dragon.
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_510.php

Yes, it was portrayed as an accident in the QFR, but it sounds a little... convenient.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Deathbird

Is it possible that she has already been working on a larger scale.  What if proving that cubi can breed with insects was the first step in getting ALL cubi accepted into the hive.
It could be that there is now a full alliance between the two races. If so the cubi would be able to deploy an amazing fighting force and have a series of impregnable fortresses at their disposal when the balloon goes up.

Vinom

Quote from: Arcblade on October 25, 2013, 12:56:55 PM
Wonder if you can do the cubification ritual for multiple generations.  Like, assume Kiki is/was pure Insectis.  Say she has a kid (call her Lili) with a compatible Mythos.  Lili grows up and has a kid with a 'Cubi from Zezzuva's clan, and the kid breeds true as a Zezzuva 'Cubi.  We know Lili can be cubified, using that kid.  The question is then whether the ritual can be repeated on Kiki, since her child Lili is now a Zezzuva 'Cubi.  

This still assumes a Mythos intermediary compatible with both 'Cubi and Insectis, but if you can go back one generation, you can probably go back several, until you get a 'Cubi compatible kidlet.  Insectis live, at minimum, 130 years.  That's long enough to get several generations in.  

Quote from: Vinom on October 25, 2013, 12:37:19 PM

Oh crap.  Using this theory of back-Cubification, that is entirely freakin' possible.   :erk
If you'll notice in the cubi adoption comic fuzzy says "Because that kid shares his bloodline, they can no fo a ritual which will follow the bloodline to him" There is no mention of the cubi parent of the kid needed for the ritual, meaning you could possible chain cubi adoption from mother to child to father to other child half-sibling of the first, etc etc etc until you have a queen Insectis-Succubi pumping out a veritable arm of cubi with a very durable 'base form'

Jasae Bushae

Personally I figured dragons in geeneral were like fae in that they were friggin powerful but were 'swat a fly with a bazooka' prone (though how accurate this is since only one dragon has gotten to the point where they world hop and such makes it kinda debatable...)
A shame that we dont have much idea of how dragons are in terms of power scale XD i mean, hizell had to get allies and lie in ambush to take out one clan and used the element of surprise to take out another. However their in theory second only to the fae in magical abilities and age and short of a mega gryphon or something on the treshhold of a cubi leader, nothing can take on a proper dragon.

However....Pyroduck is hardly super mega ultra dangerous and there are even dragons who take simple security jobs and loan out money so their not all species shattering XD

On one hand the dragons definitely came close to wiping out at least one species. On the other, all known examples were sneaky and trechery and the present day has them relying on agents from other species which raises the question of how strong are theey, and whether its just hizell being a big jerk with the other dragons not really giving a bleep

I confess, Zezzuza strikes me as one of the more manipulative characters that have shown up in the comics so far.
I might be a hack writer but thats no reason not to Enjoy writing anyways
http://greenfrostfire.deviantart.com/

Eboreg

You know, I think our new friend may have shape-shifted those feathers on 'cause, well, Insectis love feathers.
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

Prroul

Quote from: Howl on October 25, 2013, 04:41:49 AMBeings would fall under unfit, so they'd come after whatever's after Angels. Unless Jyrras discovers/busts out nuclear weaponry, in which case they'd jump to Priority Number 1 the moment that sort of thing gets busted out.
I dunno. I think that gryph-mech would generate about the same level of reaction. Or his rail gu... er I mean 'seed planter'.

Anything capable of actually damaging a dragon through the draconic scales and natural toughness would probably get that sort of reaction out of them. They see themselves as nigh invulnerable... and are very paranoid about maintaining that invulnerability. If there is something which can breach that invulnerability... well... it's simply gotta go.

That would be rational... I don't think she's going to be anywhere close to rational.

Picking out her targets and eliminating only the bad apples? Yeah, she's too far gone for that. If you mean what I remarked about Pyroduck though, it's more like "Oh, you're with my daughter? Whatever, I don't care. -stabbity-"
I would think it more along the lines of:

"Oh, and for boinking my daughter? I'm going to take my time with this..."

Nino

Quote from: Eboreg on October 25, 2013, 04:55:48 PM
You know, I think our new friend may have shape-shifted those feathers on 'cause, well, Insectis love feathers.

I mentioned this too, but then someone noted that they look like moth antennae, and that kind of made sense as well.

As for the whole humans and dragons thing, I think it's hinted at that humans are unaffected by magic and THAT is why they would have posed a huge threat to dragons. The evidences for this are that a. Were human forms are immune to magic (and weres are also hunted by dragons, probably for this same reason), and b. This comic is supposed to actually take place in the same universe as our real world if I'm not mistaken (though maybe a different dimension), and so I think humans in DMFA are supposed to correspond to real people, who obviously can't use magic and in fact magic doesn't exist in this world - perhaps because in the comic, magic doesn't exist in our dimension, so the material that makes up humans is completely non-magical (see Jyrras talking about 'purifying' material to not contain magic), so that when we 'crossed over' to the DMFA-verse the matter that makes us up retains this property. Or else there's just something special about the human race or form that is incompatible with magic (this would make more sense given the were human form ALSO has these properties, whereas the other were forms - ostensibly made up with the same matter - are sensitive to magic and can also use magic). At any rate, not being affect by magic would pose a huge threat to dragons in the long-run, since the magic attacks they rely on wouldn't be able to hurt us.

Woah that was a tl;dr

joshofspam

Quote from: Nino on October 25, 2013, 10:39:30 PM
Quote from: Eboreg on October 25, 2013, 04:55:48 PM

I mentioned this too, but then someone noted that they look like moth antennae, and that kind of made sense as well.

As for the whole humans and dragons thing, I think it's hinted at that humans are unaffected by magic and THAT is why they would have posed a huge threat to dragons. The evidences for this are that a. Were human forms are immune to magic (and weres are also hunted by dragons, probably for this same reason), and b. This comic is supposed to actually take place in the same universe as our real world if I'm not mistaken (though maybe a different dimension), and so I think humans in DMFA are supposed to correspond to real people, who obviously can't use magic and in fact magic doesn't exist in this world - perhaps because in the comic, magic doesn't exist in our dimension, so the material that makes up humans is completely non-magical (see Jyrras talking about 'purifying' material to not contain magic), so that when we 'crossed over' to the DMFA-verse the matter that makes us up retains this property. Or else there's just something special about the human race or form that is incompatible with magic (this would make more sense given the were human form ALSO has these properties, whereas the other were forms - ostensibly made up with the same matter - are sensitive to magic and can also use magic). At any rate, not being affect by magic would pose a huge threat to dragons in the long-run, since the magic attacks they rely on wouldn't be able to hurt us.

Woah that was a tl;dr

Well I've kind of wondered if it was possible that all the races of Furrae might have some original genesis from the humans?

Considering how magic works and what we've seen it do, maybe it has some weird gradual effect on some if your exposed to great amounts over time and generations. If humans kept on producing newer and more deadlier races because of raised magic exposure, would the dragons sit around and wait for the humans give birth to something more powerful then them?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

HaDDea

I think that Zezzuva's revelation that the rule that her clan were only permitted to have offspring with other 'cubi was a deception probably indicates that the road to Kiki was a long and secretive one. This plan has likely been generations of selective breeding in the making - first to the right kind of Mythos who can breed with Mer/Insectis, then to the Insectis themselves (and likely the Mer as well). The bloodline ritual and similar magics like it would also be of use, in order to bypass hybridization muddiness and work more directly towards an insectis-compatible 'cubi.

(though I wonder: does the child have to display the 'cubi traits for the ritual to work? if not, can a descendant be "forced" into being a 'cubi by a parent?? I'm guessing no, based on the fact that Aniz never tried it - perhaps the person must be willing and of age.)

Zezzuva's plan is a good one: survive through diversity (making it very hard to wipe all 'cubi off the map without having to get rid of everyone else). This would put Hizell and his supporters (many/most Very Old dragons?) in a bit of a quandary, as the current desire seems to be for beings who can be magically influenced (so little need for guns/tech), but not too powerful as to challenge the dragons (interesting how the Angels have been targeted, but not the Demons - well, not yet).

ooh... I wonder... would Zezzuva attempt an Incorporeal Mythos-'cubi hybrid? that would be cool and scary (not to mention super-useful for the Spy Clan).

joshofspam

Quote from: HaDDea on October 26, 2013, 12:43:16 AM
I think that Zezzuva's revelation that the rule that her clan were only permitted to have offspring with other 'cubi was a deception probably indicates that the road to Kiki was a long and secretive one. This plan has likely been generations of selective breeding in the making - first to the right kind of Mythos who can breed with Mer/Insectis, then to the Insectis themselves (and likely the Mer as well). The bloodline ritual and similar magics like it would also be of use, in order to bypass hybridization muddiness and work more directly towards an insectis-compatible 'cubi.

(though I wonder: does the child have to display the 'cubi traits for the ritual to work? if not, can a descendant be "forced" into being a 'cubi by a parent?? I'm guessing no, based on the fact that Aniz never tried it - perhaps the person must be willing and of age.)

Zezzuva's plan is a good one: survive through diversity (making it very hard to wipe all 'cubi off the map without having to get rid of everyone else). This would put Hizell and his supporters (many/most Very Old dragons?) in a bit of a quandary, as the current desire seems to be for beings who can be magically influenced (so little need for guns/tech), but not too powerful as to challenge the dragons (interesting how the Angels have been targeted, but not the Demons - well, not yet).

ooh... I wonder... would Zezzuva attempt an Incorporeal Mythos-'cubi hybrid? that would be cool and scary (not to mention super-useful for the Spy Clan).

Considering how most Mer and Insectis live, dragons might not have considered it ever being something they had to concern themselves with. Propaganda by the dragons might be limited down there.

Depending on how much time and consideration Zezzuva put into it, she might have even considered diplomatic relations between the two.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Les

Quote from: Lying Foo on October 25, 2013, 09:19:37 AM
Quote from: Techcubi on October 25, 2013, 01:35:25 AM
Well, with their clan's quirk, they have at least one, that means they also have at least two. Or, did, at least, at one point, if Kiki's twin isn't still alive.

She's a paparazza. >:3

:erk

Argarble!  This makes Too Much Sense!!
Long live Space Race, Long live... Molvania!

D'ymkarra

Quote from: Techcubi on October 25, 2013, 01:44:37 AM
Does this mean Clan Zezzuva are the Furrae MIB?

I am just a figment of your imagination.. *FLASH:mowdizzy
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

D'ymkarra

Quote from: Vinom on October 25, 2013, 10:42:06 AM
"Oh, you're with my daughter? Whatever, I don't care. To show you how much I don't care I'm now GOING TO SKIN HER IN FRONT OF YOU BECAUSE SHE BETRAYED ME!!!!"

I think it's already been established that Destania considers both of them expendable..
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

Vinom

Quote from: D'ymkarra on October 26, 2013, 10:52:14 AM
Quote from: Vinom on October 25, 2013, 10:42:06 AM
I think it's already been established that Destania considers both of them expendable..
Expendable and not worth her time killing are two non-mutually exclusive groups.

D'ymkarra

Quote from: Vinom on October 26, 2013, 12:38:20 PM
Expendable and not worth her time killing are two non-mutually exclusive groups.

In this case, perhaps not so much; Alexsi has made her allegiance to Ducky clear - Destania is no longer motivated to intervene if her 'daughter' were poised to become collateral damage..

Yarott

You know, I feel optimistic that there might be remnants of "pure human beings" left in Furrae. Maybe even in the very same place that Merlitz "accidentally" found them... probably a place where not even a clairvoyant would be able to see... except probably the Fae.

On the matter of Dragon Genocide, if Humans were "unfit" or "weak", how come there are still "beings" around? They also fit in the "Muggle" category. Maybe Jyrras might play a role in this bit of the plot. He has those "patches" around. He even had one to make one of them be in human form! How are those patches really made of again?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Yarott on October 28, 2013, 08:27:57 AM
On the matter of Dragon Genocide, if Humans were "unfit" or "weak", how come there are still "beings" around? They also fit in the "Muggle" category. Maybe Jyrras might play a role in this bit of the plot. He has those "patches" around. He even had one to make one of them be in human form! How are those patches really made of again?

The Dragons might consider Beings harmless.  Also, they are lower in the food chain.  I'd say the same about humans in Furrae, but they could well be magic-proof like Weres are.  That could have made them a threat.

On the other hand, the Beings might be next as soon as the races capable of protecting them are out of the picture...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Les

Wild-Mass-Guessing time...

so, we have indications that the Dragons are involved in the Angel's decline...

Cyra kicked-off the Dragon-Cubi war inadvertently with her ascension, fueled by the souls being trapped by the dragon patron of a city for some inscrutable purpose.. perhaps the Angels were involved in something similar somewhere in their history?  I think it's been noted that physically Angels are more in line with Demons power-wise, but as regards temperment they're more 'seek knowledge and pull-strings' types.. perhaps a similar conflict came up between them and the Dragons?

It's rather obvious to me that while Dragons and Fae occupy the Top-most Toppy-Toppist Tier in Furrae, they only share that status because the Fae DELIBERATLY HOBBLE themselves when operating outside their own Demsense through the inscrutable, arcane, and downright Alien rules they abide by.    Is it not plausible that the Dragons covet the power that the Fae hide behind the veil, and are attempting to reach that level of 'Cosmic Power' through underhanded means.. and swearing genocidal vengence against those who purposefully or unpurposefully interfere with those designs?
Long live Space Race, Long live... Molvania!

Alondro

Quote from: Ignuus66 on October 25, 2013, 04:00:48 AM
Quote from: RandomMetaphysics on October 25, 2013, 02:56:17 AM
"From the end of humanity, to the slow decline of the angels... the dragons have a history of weeding out the races they feel are unfit or a threat to the status quo."

Whoa whoa whoa back up. The dragons were responsible for the sudden disappearance of humanity and are the culprits of the declining angel populace? Jeez, how did they pull that off?
A better question yet: Were humans a threat or were they unfit? Also, how long ago was the disappearance? Some creatures might still remember them.

*Charline is even more pissed*  Humanity was MINE to destroy!  Oh Hizell, my revenge against you shall be slow and sinister! 

*Little did anyone realize that, far away in the land of Ooo, one human named Finn had survived, while another formerly known as Simon became the Ice King...*

:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Alondro

Quote from: Kuzma Volkov on October 25, 2013, 12:19:28 PM

Spider cubi:  They wrap you up after injecting you with venom and slowwwwwwwwly suck out your soul (and innards) through their fangs.  *watches you curl into a little shivering ball*  Delightful...  :kruger
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Alondro on October 29, 2013, 12:04:13 PM
Spider cubi:  They wrap you up after injecting you with venom and slowwwwwwwwly suck out your soul (and innards) through their fangs.  *watches you curl into a little shivering ball*  Delightful...  :kruger

o/~ On candystripe legs the spiderman comes
softly through the shadow of the evening sun
stealing past the windows of the blissfully dead
looking for the victim shivering in bed
searching out fear in the gathering gloom and
suddenly a movement in the corner of the room
and there is nothing I can do
when I realise in fright
the spiderman is having me for dinner tonight...

Also, did you need to double-post?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears