2013/09/04 [DMFA #1425] - How to differentiate a kilt and a skirt

Started by InsanityRequiem, September 04, 2013, 02:34:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

InsanityRequiem

Beefcake alert! I repeat, beefcake alert!

And yeah, kilts and skirts are different, but good luck telling them apart to someone that doesn't really pay attention to clothing. :U

And kilting it up is definitely something that can backfire in the most spectacular way, especially when you have jesters for clan leaders.
Who is the sanest of us all? Why, the insane of course!

Shax

Tapewolf

Quote from: Shax on September 04, 2013, 03:03:14 AM
Dan stole D'ymkarra's kilt! XD

I'm kind of curious who stole his pants since 1419.  Though I suppose it was probably Dimanika.

I love Nact'Larn's reaction, though.

EDIT:  If Dan ever attends another one of these, I imagine he'll use wing-shifted clothes next time.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 04, 2013, 03:35:52 AM
Quote from: Shax on September 04, 2013, 03:03:14 AM
Dan stole D'ymkarra's kilt! XD

I'm kind of curious who stole his pants since 1419.  Though I suppose it was probably Dimanika.

I love Nact'Larn's reaction, though.

EDIT:  If Dan ever attends another one of these, I imagine he'll use wing-shifted clothes next time.

I also love Nact'Larn's facial expressions.  For a moment they reminded me of this page, and it really shows how much better Amber has gotten at drawn expressions on characters with beaks. :eager

Icon by Sunblink

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 04, 2013, 03:35:52 AM

I'm sure the tri-wings will manage to steal those, too.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

joshofspam

I wonder if this means Dan is going to get his robe back or is he going to just randomly relies at one point that he's wearing his other robe again? :3
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Tapewolf

Quote from: joshofspam on September 04, 2013, 05:10:13 AM
I wonder if this means Dan is going to get his robe back or is he going to just randomly relies at one point that he's wearing his other robe again? :3

If Nact'Larn gives his robe back, she'll break rating.  Though it might be amusing if she and Dan constantly swap clothes throughout.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 04, 2013, 05:24:56 AM
If Nact'Larn gives his robe back, she'll break rating.  Though it might be amusing if she and Dan constantly swap clothes throughout.

Particularly if Dan doesn't notice.

Drakkenmensch

Damn, Dan is hot.

Thank you Amber! Thank you so much for this awesome plot twist that just put Dan in a kilt!  :)

D'ymkarra

Wake up. Read update. Laughed so hard I almost fell out of bed..

Gee, I wonder who told Dan that Nact'Larn has a weakness for men in kilts.  :mwaha
I think Dan's managed to disarm them a bit with his ability to adapt, as well as garnering their full and undivided attentions  :mowcookie
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

Prroul

You know, I think I got a pic of myself in a kilt at my brother's wedding floating around here somewhere...

Of course, posting it would probably be ill advised.

And the real danger to wearing a kilt is the Girls With Slingshots Leafblowers. But I could see Di or Nact'larn finding an adequate magical substitute. Gust of wind cantrip?

Emerauld Drathmir

Quote from: Prroul on September 04, 2013, 07:59:13 AM
You know, I think I got a pic of myself in a kilt at my brother's wedding floating around here somewhere...

Of course, posting it would probably be ill advised.

And the real danger to wearing a kilt is the Girls With Slingshots Leafblowers. But I could see Di or Nact'larn finding an adequate magical substitute. Gust of wind cantrip?
Hellooooooooooooo Nurse!  */Wolf Whistle*

Real Men Wear Kilts(shamelessly ripping off a Brobdingnagian Bards album title), so show it off baby!

Did I mention I like Kilts?
Yoho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me...Darn it Bean, no Looting until after dinner!
--Home of Angst Technology/Weak-end Warriors/Sorry We're Open, and InkTank-now back from hiatus.

Brunhidden

okay, that's it, im taking out my needle and thread and making the kilt ive been waffling on for a year

all i need is to pick a fabric, cause i don't really do plaid

also this is the first time i go 'oh my gods, i love those boots'
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Ross

I just pulled up this page as my music player began to blare 'Scotland the Brave.'  I think my brain broke for a few seconds before I started laughing.

Also, awesome boots are awesome.

Completely unrelated but required addendum:

I have just finished watching Futurama's passing.  I was... moved.

Grey Wolf

The funny thing is, people who wear kilts often come from a clan of their own. Families usually have their own tartan, as do counties and such.

Thing is, wearing another clan's tartan can be considered rude... I hope someone had the sense to give Dan a generic one XD

Also, mmm, yes... That picture of Dan is a work of art in and of itself. Rawr.
I don't suppose there's a bigger version of that panel/strip?
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Grey Wolf on September 04, 2013, 11:22:36 AM
The funny thing is, people who wear kilts often come from a clan of their own. Families usually have their own tartan, as do counties and such.

Sadly, my clan is from the wrong side of the border to have a tartan of our own. So if I were to wear a kilt (which I doubt, as I don't have the body mass to support such a style) it'd have to be plain.

Which suits, actually. A nice plain black kilt would fit nicely with my usual wear. Only problem is the number of people who'd assume it was a skirt... I get mistaken for a woman on the phone all the time, already... >.<

D'ymkarra

Thing is, wearing another clan's tartan can be considered rude... I hope someone had the sense to give Dan a generic one XD

Quite true; different clans/ families were represented by specific tartans, the colors of which often represented/ came from the very areas they inhabited..they used whatever plants/ minerals/ dyes they had available to make a unique and unmistakable pattern; My own is that of Clan Sinclair, resident to the northwest highlands, near Caithness.

To show that kind of detail in such a small panel though would most certainly cost an artist her wrist, as well as her sanity..Dan doesn't seem think it's such a stupid look any more though :mowmeep
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

thegayhare

The McNeal Barra clan have there own tartan,  and as a clan of Scottish pirates (who lost there private island due to gambling debts)  I'd proudly wear my clans colors...  but official Clan tartans are a fairly recent invention.  there are some who take it super serously and others who think it's a scam to try and milk money out of folks who want to get back to there "roots"

I'd like a few kilts myself,  I figure a few nice tartan ones, and some others....  do you think I could get away with making a Jean Kilt... ow would that just be a skirt

killpurakat

Up with kilts!  >:3

And I keep looking at the bottom left panel with Nact'Larn and imagining the "alert" sound effect from Metal Gear Solid (the one where the guards have spotted you and have little "!" above their heads).

Brunhidden

Quote from: D'ymkarra on September 04, 2013, 01:40:00 PM

Quite true; different clans/ families were represented by specific tartans, the colors of which often represented/ came from the very areas they inhabited..they used whatever plants/ minerals/ dyes they had available to make a unique and unmistakable pattern; My own is that of Clan Sinclair, resident to the northwest highlands, near Caithness.

the 'clans have their own tartans' is actually a bit of a recent idea, there was a point at which old-timey catalouges would advertize new tartan weave styles, and i doubt you change your clan based on whats in style. its one of those things obscured by time, we just assume its always been that way- like in the setting of 'braveheart' kilts had not yet been invented, and bagpipes were culturally left by the romans who used them on thier long marches.... ironically adopted by the part of the brittish aisles they never actually got to mess up (the romans earned the right to wear kilts, can you imagine marching from rome italy to york england?)

of course if you want kilt but don't have a claim to a specific tartan clan, just use a flat color. here, have yet more beefcake- as if we needed it

KarlOmega1

Well, looks like Dan outsmarts the clan leaders with some fashion adaptation. Well played.

Also...Even though I'm embarassed to admit it, Dan does look good in a kilt.
I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius

MT Hazard

I do like Nact'Larn's expressive hair, I wonder if she can do a question mark as well.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Brunhidden

Quote from: MT Hazard on September 04, 2013, 05:30:42 PM
I do like Nact'Larn's expressive hair, I wonder if she can do a question mark as well.

thats just how quail look, like the opposite of turkey beards

D'ymkarra

Quote from: Brunhidden on September 04, 2013, 03:41:43 PM
the 'clans have their own tartans' is actually a bit of a recent idea, there was a point at which old-timey catalouges would advertize new tartan weave styles, and i doubt you change your clan based on whats in style. its one of those things obscured by time, we just assume its always been that way- like in the setting of 'braveheart' kilts had not yet been invented bagpipes were culturally left by the romans who used them on thier long marches.... ironically adopted by the part of the brittish aisles they never actually got to mess up (the romans earned the right to wear kilts, can you imagine marching from rome italy to york england?)

Quite true; the basic blue/ green that D'ym is always seen wearing is referred to as the 'ancient hunting' tartan, and dates to about the 9th or 10th century..More modern versions introduced a lot of flashy or otherwise unnatural colorations..the kilt had become its' own trend :-/

ChaosMageX

Quote from: killpurakat on September 04, 2013, 02:01:50 PM
Up with kilts!  >:3

And I keep looking at the bottom left panel with Nact'Larn and imagining the "alert" sound effect from Metal Gear Solid (the one where the guards have spotted you and have little "!" above their heads).

Now that you've mentioned that, every time I look at that panel I keep hearing that sound and laughing because of it, so I commend you for bringing it up.

If Tapewolf ever does this arc in the DMFA Radio Project, he absolutely has to use that sound for when the listener is looking at that panel.  However, he must first find voices for all the clan leaders and other characters that appear in this arc.  I wish him good luck in that task.

Icon by Sunblink

Prroul

Quote from: ChaosMageX on September 04, 2013, 11:39:09 PM
Quote from: killpurakat on September 04, 2013, 02:01:50 PM
Up with kilts!  >:3

Now that you've mentioned that, every time I look at that panel I keep hearing that sound and laughing because of it, so I commend you for bringing it up.

If Tapewolf ever does this arc in the DMFA Radio Project, he absolutely has to use that sound for when the listener is looking at that panel.  However, he must first find voices for all the clan leaders and other characters that appear in this arc.  I wish him good luck in that task.

I know the perfect person to do the voice for Didi. She also does a very good Harlene Quinn.

Mmm... Piflak would be a bit harder to find. A warm, throaty alto voice that can go from cute to seductive in half an octave.

ishidan

Well a Cubi dressed in kilt left the bar one evenin' fair
And one could tell by how he walked that he'd drank more than his share
He fumbled round until he could no longer keep his feet
Then stumbled off across the hall to sleep 'tween clown sheets.
Ring ding diddle aye de oh, ring o diddle aye o,
Stumbled off across the hall to sleep 'tween clown sheets.

About that time  two Clan leaders happened by.
One turned to the other with a twinkle in her eye,
"See yon sleeping Cyran, so young and handsome built.
I wonder if it's true what he don't wear beneath the kilt."
I wonder if it's true what he don't wear beneath the kilt.

They crept up on that sleeping Cubi quiet as could be
Lifted up his kilt about an inch so they could see
And there behold! for them to view beneath his Scottish skirt
Was nothin more than Ambarrgh had graced him with upon his birth.
Was nothin more than Ambarrgh had graced him with upon his birth.

They marveled for a moment then one said "We must be gone.
Let's leave a present for our friend before we move along!"
As a gift they left a blue silk ribbon tied into a bow
Around the bonny star that Dan's kilt did lift and show.
Around the bonny star that Dan's kilt did lift and show.

Well the Cubi woke to nature's call and stumbled off to pee,
Before the pot he lifts his kilt and gawks at what he see.
And in a startled voice he says to what's before his eyes,
"Och, lad, I din nae where ya bin but I see ya won first prize!"
Lad I din nae where ya bin but a see ya won first priiiiiize!

--shamelessly adapted from "The Scotsman" by Mike Cross