2013/04/08 [DMFA #1392] My kingdom for a maniacal laugh...

Started by xom, April 08, 2013, 02:00:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xom

Hey Kria, I didn't know you could juggle paper. Just curious but does anyone have even a general idea as to where things are located in their world, a map maybe?

TacticalError

I'm pretty sure Amber tried to make some sort of world map, and that it didn't go particularly well. Now, by the view in the first panel, and the door to the left in the third, I'm guessing this is some kind of gryphon-pulled carriage.

Titanium Dragon

Clearly she never played Dead Island. A wise decision, even if it left her unprepared for a boring island full of zombies.

Tapewolf

Quote from: TacticalError on April 08, 2013, 02:56:56 AM
I'm pretty sure Amber tried to make some sort of world map, and that it didn't go particularly well. Now, by the view in the first panel, and the door to the left in the third, I'm guessing this is some kind of gryphon-pulled carriage.

Last I heard, she was worried about getting the geology wrong and being hauled over the coals by the fanbase because "rivers/mountains/lakes don't work that way..."

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Plotting

Kria, modern media lies to everyone!

And if she is like this now, wait until she is having to sit though the powerpoint presentation which is 34% more boring than last years one. :3

Also, Trik'na Island sounds like paradise compared to everywhere else. It's even a frigging democracy! Sure it is populated by the undead, but I could live with that!

MT Hazard

Is it possible for a demon to go on a boredom driven rampage? Are the undead trying to provoke her? Just what does Kria get out of this anyway?
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

icarus

yesssss undead island
i have been waiting so long for this

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that

Jasae Bushae

I might be a hack writer but thats no reason not to Enjoy writing anyways
http://greenfrostfire.deviantart.com/

joshofspam

An entire island of Devon's..........

This should prove to be interesting. I wonder if we'll get to see Rachel?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Demont

I think Kria was think of zombies made by virus which in most cases are mindless, But the zombies on this island have their minds and act almost normal.

Alondro

Modern media lying? 

What silly stuff and nonsense! 

BELIEVE WHAT YOU ARE TOLD.  OR WE WILL KILL YOU IN YOUR SLEEP.   >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Yarott

Trik'na Island seems like a very nice place with nice beaches to drop dead on.

mithril

30,000 undead. i wonder how big a chunk of their world population that is.

Ignuus66

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 08, 2013, 04:08:17 AM
Quote from: TacticalError on April 08, 2013, 02:56:56 AM

Last I heard, she was worried about getting the geology wrong and being hauled over the coals by the fanbase because "rivers/mountains/lakes don't work that way..."

What might be interesting is using an existing, advanced map generator to generate worlds until you find one that somewhat resembles what you want, and then distort/ change it in some way until it is most like what you want.

(credit: Gabi)

Daet

I can sympathize with Kria here. I have to do these corporate meetings too. The worst part is I'm a minimum wage floor worker who then has too make up for lost time to meet production quotas.  :mowdizzy
Hilarious expression in that last panel though.  :mowtongue
Either help fix it or quit complaining.

ArchTeryx

You know, it strikes me that we've done just about everything with zombies except this...

...make them into model citizens.  Kind of like a sincere, responsible version of the civil servants of the Beetlejuice afterlife.  No wonder Kria's driving herself batpoop thinking about it.

And yes, demons will quite happily go on rampages just to spice things up.  We'll have to see what Kria does, though - she's a bit more thoughtful then your typical demon.  (Not that that's saying much!)

joshofspam

Quote from: ArchTeryx on April 08, 2013, 11:04:05 PM
You know, it strikes me that we've done just about everything with zombies except this...

...make them into model citizens.  Kind of like a sincere, responsible version of the civil servants of the Beetlejuice afterlife.  No wonder Kria's driving herself batpoop thinking about it.

And yes, demons will quite happily go on rampages just to spice things up.  We'll have to see what Kria does, though - she's a bit more thoughtful then your typical demon.  (Not that that's saying much!)

That might be counter productive from what Kria will be trying to accomplish. A rampage is not something that would be looked well upon those being rampaged over.

Then again, seeing as Undead have a affinity to dark magic, that might not be a place for Kria to rampage. Another thing I don't think we've seen is Zombies as lynch mobs....Though that movie with the monster motel came real close.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Tuyu

Quote from: MT Hazard on April 08, 2013, 06:43:36 AM
Is it possible for a demon to go on a boredom driven rampage? Are the undead trying to provoke her? Just what does Kria get out of this anyway?
I think it's obvious what the zombies are doing.

They're trying to bore her to death.

~_^

Prroul

*Rodney Dangerfield voice* Hey, what's with this place? It's like it's dead in here.

It-Or-Whatever-I-Am

Quote from: Tuyu on April 09, 2013, 01:09:59 AM
Quote from: MT Hazard on April 08, 2013, 06:43:36 AM
I think it's obvious what the zombies are doing.

They're trying to bore her to death.

~_^

Oh Noes! Quick, someone pull out a game boy and throw her a lifeline!

(or whatever portable game system exists there if there a any)
I am known as it, because I have no designation outside that and I would rather it stay like that.

Otherwise Have a good day Sir/Ma'am.

Tapewolf

It-Or-Whatever-I-Am

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 09, 2013, 01:57:55 PM
Quote from: It-Or-Whatever-I-Am on April 09, 2013, 01:42:15 PM
(or whatever portable game system exists there if there a any)

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/dmfa/council2.png

Interesting, where did this come from? is it sketches by Amber?

From the looks of it looks like a slightly modified Gameboy Advance.
I am known as it, because I have no designation outside that and I would rather it stay like that.

Tapewolf

Quote from: It-Or-Whatever-I-Am on April 09, 2013, 03:53:43 PM

It's a blow-up of the last panel of p365, from the original lineart.  The digital version has the screen blank.

It-Or-Whatever-I-Am

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 09, 2013, 03:59:24 PM
Quote from: It-Or-Whatever-I-Am on April 09, 2013, 03:53:43 PM

It's a blow-up of the last panel of p365, from the original lineart.  The digital version has the screen blank.

Ah, I see it now, so there are game systems, just only in the works i"m guessing?

TacticalError

Quote from: It-Or-Whatever-I-Am on April 09, 2013, 04:07:06 PM
[omitted quotes from above]

Ah, I see it now, so there are game systems, just only in the works i"m guessing?

The basement rats were playing a living-room console with "surround sound" (http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_319.php), although that's in the 'only mostly canon' bit of the archives. There was also that X360-like box much more recently (first panel of http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1204.php).

As far as portable handheld goes, a Gameboy Advance-level console in the works seems pretty reasonable, but the power of portable hardware could be (and has been) heavily debated: Abel's description of the "typing thing" (http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1266.php) could have just been a simple description of a reasonably powerful laptop, or a complete description of a basic word-processing machine with poor capabilities. Likewise, the e-reader could be thick to make it more familiar to new users, or because it can't be made any thinner (at least with the staggered approach Jyrras that is taking with releasing his tech).

Tapewolf

Quote from: TacticalError on April 10, 2013, 09:47:03 AM
Likewise, the e-reader could be thick to make it more familiar to new users, or because it can't be made any thinner (at least with the staggered approach Jyrras that is taking with releasing his tech).

This isn't canon, but if magic interferes with electronics, which seems to be the case, you'll have major problems with high-density microcircuitry.  Flash memory, for instance would have to be built on a rather low-density process.  MLC at 22nm barely works in our universe - in Furrae, with an MLC flash-based device you'd likely lose all the books and the Kindle OS before Abel had finished unpacking it.

(In Project Future, this is my excuse for so much vintage equipment - 2 micron EPROMs and 1992 electronics will be significantly less sensitive to magic)

Eboreg

Weren't Jyrras and Wildy both playing on the same console in #1320?
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

Tezkat

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 10, 2013, 10:15:01 AM
This isn't canon, but if magic interferes with electronics, which seems to be the case, you'll have major problems with high-density microcircuitry.  Flash memory, for instance would have to be built on a rather low-density process.  MLC at 22nm barely works in our universe - in Furrae, with an MLC flash-based device you'd likely lose all the books and the Kindle OS before Abel had finished unpacking it.

(In Project Future, this is my excuse for so much vintage equipment - 2 micron EPROMs and 1992 electronics will be significantly less sensitive to magic)

Hmm. The only real canon evidence of magic interacting poorly with electronics is Mab herself, which is probably a Fae thing. We've seen plenty of examples of other Creatures and magic users interacting safely with technological devices.

Even if magical fields do pose a risk, that strikes me as a problem solvable with some kind of hardened circuitry and more fault tolerant designs...

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tezkat on April 10, 2013, 04:17:34 PM
Even if magical fields do pose a risk, that strikes me as a problem solvable with some kind of hardened circuitry and more fault tolerant designs...

Yes, the problem is that you harden things by making the circuits larger and less dense.  And high-density MLC flash is already going through a hell of a lot of error correction and signal amplification just to make it work at all.  And for all that you get about 500 rewrite cycles and data that evaporates in about 3 months without power.  (But it's very cheap)

Tezkat

True. Though I wonder if the technology of Furrae wouldn't naturally develop ways to exploit features of the magic-nature interaction rather than fighting it--after all, magic is a normal and fundamental part of the world's physics rather than a special hostile environment. It's not like engineers there would build a magic vacuum to develop their toys and then figure out how to make them magic resistant. As Jyrras said, magic is everywhere in everything. That's just business as usual. Just as modern semiconductor tech takes advantage of all sorts of weird idiosyncrasies in the quantum world, there may be all sorts of interesting optimizations possible that make use of the magic permeating the world... with science! :3
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...