18/09/12 [DMFA #1337] - Not always the smartest

Started by Tapewolf, September 18, 2012, 06:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Well, they seem to be going.  Though those middle panels make me think it's some kind of codephrase and they'll be back very soon.  But if it gives them time to get Abel patched up and Alexsi back on her feet, it will be a welcome respite.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Ignuus66

Never trust sudden changes of tone. NEVER (also nite seems to be the smartest one of the group by far)
Edit: (ninja'd by 2 minutes)

(credit: Gabi)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ignuus66 on September 18, 2012, 06:55:03 AM

I decided I liked your title better (mine was 'Cue the sinister music', referring to the previous thread).

Ignuus66

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 18, 2012, 06:57:33 AM
Quote from: Ignuus66 on September 18, 2012, 06:55:03 AM

I decided I liked your title better (mine was 'Cue the sinister music', referring to the previous thread).

Thanks.
Now back to topic: I am guessing that nite is either trying to get more information on Jyrras and his weapon, will come back soon, and/or is using scare tactics while trying to regroup.

MT Hazard

Jyrras  has his first nemesis! One of the other problems of being famous, apart from photographers bugging you, enemies just need to do a quick internet search to find out all they need.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Wanderer

QuoteThough those middle panels make me think it's some kind of codephrase and they'll be back very soon.
I'm getting that same impression. This is definitely not over.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ignuus66 on September 18, 2012, 07:01:43 AM
Now back to topic: I am guessing that nite is either trying to get more information on Jyrras and his weapon, will come back soon, and/or is using scare tactics while trying to regroup.

I wondered if he was making an implicit threat to tell folks about the weapon.  I still hope we learn what happened to Merlitz and/or Aliyka.

Prroul

Poor Jyrras, your name is a household name these days. You'd have to range pretty far to find someone who didn't know who Mr. Bachelor of the Year was.

Yea, not done yet, but Nyte isn't willing to get into a pissing match with Zvinth... yet. However, one year of protection is only one year.

Methinks he's also got something up his sleeve. I'm betting he's also pretty sure they were barking up the wrong tree, and is using this as an excuse to extract from an op which has already gone pear-shaped.

I'm also betting that this isn't over yet either. Not by a long mile.

MT Hazard

After a year J will probably make sure to keep a few friends around, including a certain academy student.

I also note that Skirmish seems to have the vocabulary of a Populous the beginning tribe (about ten words )

Quote from: Wanderer on September 18, 2012, 07:22:23 AM
QuoteThough those middle panels make me think it's some kind of codephrase and they'll be back very soon.
I'm getting that same impression. This is definitely not over.

Considering 'Behooves' mean advantage or benefit. Yes
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

joshofspam

Quote from: Prroul on September 18, 2012, 07:56:38 AM

Yea, not done yet, but Nyte isn't willing to get into a pissing match with Zvinth... yet. However, one year of protection is only one year.

A year of Kria's battle ax waiving in the air and threatening to chomp off parts that cross the wrong lines is rather intimidating. Though I wasn't sure until now if Jyrras's fame would be known by any of BOB.

It only seems like Nite knew who he was though. Using Jyrras's name at the end there certainly was one heck of a parting shot.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Plotting

While I agree that it is not over for Jyrrus and his friends, I think Nite's parting remark was more of a mind game rather than a threat. i.e. Nite seems to be trying to unnerve Jyrrus rather than threatening him.

That or he might actually be concerned what will happen to Jyrrus once word gets out about his little toy. He may be concerned about Jy-Jy's well being, or concerned about the technology getting into the wrong hands. Probably the latter.

And wrong hands does not necessarily mean Creatures. As adventurers they would probably not want every Being being armed with Jy-Jy's firearms. That would probably put adventurers like them out of  business.

Ignuus66

Quote from: Plotting on September 18, 2012, 08:56:27 AM
And wrong hands does not necessarily mean Creatures. As adventurers they would probably not want every Being being armed with Jy-Jy's firearms. That would probably put adventurers like them out of  business.
If that would happen that would be enough to spark a full on Creature vs Being war, and there Adventurers would have quite a job.

Garsemor

You know, I feel like the panels are missing something. Like, a certain unconscious person leaving or being carried away.

Tapewolf

Quote from: MT Hazard on September 18, 2012, 08:24:26 AM
After a year J will probably make sure to keep a few friends around, including a certain academy student.

There may not be a year left before things come to a head with Mab and Destania's plans.

Plotting

Quote from: Ignuus66 on September 18, 2012, 09:01:33 AM
If that would happen that would be enough to spark a full on Creature vs Being war, and there Adventurers would have quite a job.

In a full on Creature vs Being war you would likely need soldiers, not small bands of adventurers. Unless you need guerrilla fighters.

Ignuus66

Quote from: Plotting on September 18, 2012, 09:14:09 AM
Quote from: Ignuus66 on September 18, 2012, 09:01:33 AM

In a full on Creature vs Being war you would likely need soldiers, not small bands of adventurers. Unless you need guerrilla fighters.
indeed, but adventurers are well trained... Also wars in Furrae seem to be different.

Lying Foo

I can see it now - "Bachelor of the Year Fires on Adventurers With Gun of Own Invention."

Reminds me of "Drunken Billionaire Burns Down Home."  Soon Jyrras is going to have much the same reputation as Bruce Wayne.
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Hariman

But if everybody has a gun and Creatures don't rampage or kill because anyone can kill them back without an adventurer, isn't that a good thing?

Quote from: MT Hazard on September 18, 2012, 07:16:13 AM
Jyrras  has his first nemesis! One of the other problems of being famous, apart from photographers bugging you, enemies just need to do a quick internet search to find out all they need.

Photographers bugging him... considering that Chicki the giant insect seemed to be the main one that was camping on his lawn, I think this rates a:

Bad pun, bad! No cookie!
Quote from: Tapewolf on September 18, 2012, 09:09:20 AM
Quote from: MT Hazard on September 18, 2012, 08:24:26 AM

There may not be a year left before things come to a head with Mab and Destania's plans.

Considering Fa'Lina's "I'm sure everyone here at the academy will be safe for the next month" comment, I doubt they have more than a month before the mows hit the fan.
Am I the only person who thinks that Mr. Roboto rusts out and eventually becomes the Ironman?

No not that Ironman, the other one!

Starcat5

Oh my Faust, Amber actually updated MID-WEEK!  :erk It's the end of the world! Panic!  :reaper
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

LoneHowler

I think Behoves was used as a code word. Things may have gotten very bad for Jyras
Yes I know I'm a horrid speller queen of typos but dang it, I'm trying to get better
MY warp aci crappy photoshop I wish I had my tablet working
My Yappty thanks Silver :)
(hmm my sig needs updating. eeeeeh I'll do it later 07/29/06)

TacticalError

Quote from: Hariman on September 18, 2012, 11:08:14 AM
But if everybody has a gun and Creatures don't rampage or kill because anyone can kill them back without an adventurer, isn't that a good thing?

After Creatures are no longer a threat, Beings would probably start fighting among themselves like Creatures are now. That would allow Creatures to take advantage and rise again, and we're back to square one. Or we could see a massive magic/tech arms race. I'm guessing your basic dark/light/various elemental spells haven't been improved upon much over the centuries- this could spark some serious research.

justacritic

I just had a horrible thought, what if this is part of Mab's master plan. Instill Jyrras with a sense of fear from Nite, thus the roo-rat goes double time on weapons research?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Behooves. Yes. That was a nice subtle way of saying "This person is under hoofed protection", or "Kria is protecting this person, we're gonna back off".

Very nice to see the wrecking crew have ways of telling each other things that aren't obvious in front of people they don't wish to enlighten about it. Extremely nice. Very professional. And I do want to see what happens next.

And what happens when Dan finds out.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Lying Foo

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 18, 2012, 02:46:58 PM
Behooves. Yes. That was a nice subtle way of saying "This person is under hoofed protection", or "Kria is protecting this person, we're gonna back off".

Oh, right... behooves.  Can't believe I didn't notice that; I'd just thought it was a rare enough word that they'd assigned its use some prior meaning.  But I guess it's probably either that, or they know about Albanion.  (But they don't know about Albanion.)

...okay, now I'm thinking of Patti Smith for some reason.

In any case, is Jyrras really that surprised they know his name?  He was modestly famous even before Albanion "cursed" him, and now he's got the paparazzi hounding him at every turn.
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

Quote from: Lying Foo on September 18, 2012, 03:06:47 PM
In any case, is Jyrras really that surprised they know his name?  He was modestly famous even before Albanion "cursed" him, and now he's got the paparazzi hounding him at every turn.

I think Jyrras is forgetting that people will take the time to read occasionally. :3

Either that or he is suffering from a severe case of "Fame Denial", which a healthy dose of reality can cure that in a jiffy. :mowwink

Mao

Quote from: Starcat5 on September 18, 2012, 11:47:19 AM
Oh my Faust, Amber actually updated MID-WEEK!  :erk It's the end of the world! Panic!  :reaper

And given your last post (and my response to it) don't you think it might be a good idea to apologize?

KiloFoxx

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 18, 2012, 02:46:58 PM

Very nice to see the wrecking crew have ways of telling each other things that aren't obvious in front of people they don't wish to enlighten about it. Extremely nice. Very professional. And I do want to see what happens next.

And what happens when Dan finds out.

damn... i shoulda caught that little bit there... they do it enough in another webcomic i read...
yes, definatly a code word though... they're planning something. and will likely enact it after his Bachelor protection ends. but by then Dan will have been back for a while and will be ROYALLY pissed off at them for attacking his sister. and be even MORE deadly with his growing skill with his 'Cubi powers.

Surzsha

Quote from: KiloFoxx on September 18, 2012, 06:43:10 PM
But by then Dan will have been back for a while and will be ROYALLY pissed off at them for attacking his sister. And be even MORE deadly with his growing skill with his 'Cubi powers.

Which will then threaten to ruin his reputation as an adventurer for 'embracing his cubi ways'. But I'm sure he'll think of a way around that. Oh wait...

Quote from: justacritic on September 18, 2012, 02:38:33 PM
I just had a horrible thought, what if this is part of Mab's master plan. Instill Jyrras with a sense of fear from Nite, thus the roo-rat goes double time on weapons research?
With that last panel having 'Paranoia, here we come!' written all over it, I think it's likely to happen.

And then they will come...

Tapewolf

Quote from: KiloFoxx on September 18, 2012, 06:43:10 PM
yes, definatly a code word though... they're planning something. and will likely enact it after his Bachelor protection ends. but by then Dan will have been back for a while and will be ROYALLY pissed off at them for attacking his sister. and be even MORE deadly with his growing skill with his 'Cubi powers.

Remember, time moves very slowly in DMFA.  AFAIK the entire series - 1330 odd pages has taken place within one year, maybe six months.  Unless we skip ahead or the protection is withdrawn, it's quite likely that it will last the rest of the comic.

Infranscia

Quote from: MT Hazard on September 18, 2012, 08:24:26 AMConsidering 'Behooves' mean advantage or benefit. Yes

... *checks dictionary*  Actually, that's only when it's used with a negative, as in 'ill behooves.'  Normal meaning is listed as 'duty or responsibility to do something.'  So kind of along the lines of 'This is something I've got to do/say.'

Considering how Dice reacts, it does seem most likely to still be the code word, though.

Quote from: Lying Foo on September 18, 2012, 03:06:47 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 18, 2012, 02:46:58 PMBehooves. Yes. That was a nice subtle way of saying "This person is under hoofed protection", or "Kria is protecting this person, we're gonna back off".

Oh, right... behooves.  Can't believe I didn't notice that; I'd just thought it was a rare enough word that they'd assigned its use some prior meaning.  But I guess it's probably either that, or they know about Albanion.  (But they don't know about Albanion.)

I admit, I didn't think of that one. XD

Quote from: Plotting on September 18, 2012, 08:56:27 AMWhile I agree that it is not over for Jyrrus and his friends, I think Nite's parting remark was more of a mind game rather than a threat. i.e. Nite seems to be trying to unnerve Jyrrus rather than threatening him.

That or he might actually be concerned what will happen to Jyrrus once word gets out about his little toy. He may be concerned about Jy-Jy's well being, or concerned about the technology getting into the wrong hands. Probably the latter.

I was under the impression that he was saying he hopes that Jyrras knows what he's doing/will be able to keep himself safe, considering that Jy is defending a *gasp* Creature!  Though knowledge getting out about the gun seems probable as well.

Say, is it just me, or is Skirmish making an 'I've got my eye on you' gesture in panel 4? :mowsmile
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)