I'm the boss!... Still figuring out how I will manage.

Started by Gabi, August 24, 2006, 07:25:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabi

As you may or may not know, the subject I teach was lacking a head teacher for this semester (that's the rank right below the professors and above all other teachers), so they held a contest and I was strongly encouraged to apply, so I did.

Well, guess what? I won the contest! Now I'm the boss. A part of me -the part that had been preparing for this for years- is honored and really excited, while another part -the part that was already worrying about the work I had to do and now realizes I have a whole lot more, plus the never easy task of dealing with people- is completely and utterly scared. And there's also the part that's still laughing at the fact that Alexis and Ariel are my bosses in the mornings and I'm their boss in the evenings. At least it's just for this semester, so hopefully I'll survive and, if I'm not driven schizophrenic, I'll probably learn a lot from this experience.

I've already had my first big trial; yesterday I had to improvise an introductory speech to tell the students what the dynamics of subject are and give them recommendations and instructions. It went quite well, even though everyone could see how nervous I was. Luckily my fellow teachers are very nice people and have been offering a lot of help so far. If they keep it up, I think I can make it. I've been teaching that subject for 6 years, so I know what to expect in general, so the only things I'm really worried about are time managing (I hope I can make myself some time to write every now and then, I really need it), making the big decisions, the possibility of having to improvise a class if something doesn't go as planned, and dealing with the students from my current position (it's a lot harder than dealing with them from my previous position because now they expect a lot more of me, and I'll need to be level-headed at all times to think of the best answer to all their questions and issues).

Learning to delegate is a task I will need to develop; I think this will help me with that. Because, basically, ALL tasks except for theorical classes and finals are mine to do unless I can find someone else to do them. The teachers are already helping me and I feel really grateful to them for that, but I know there will be times when I'll have to actively tell someone to do something; I hope I can do it whenever it's necessary. I don't know how this will affect my activity on the RPG(s) yet.

So that's the news.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Arcalane

Congratulations and good luck.

And remember, no skipping off school just because you're not well. ;)

llearch n'n'daCorna

* llearch n'n'daCorna goes into wild applause for Gabi

.. I wondered why I hadn't seen you online that much. :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

ITOS

Gratz! Do you get paid more now? :P

... and good luck with your new assignments. :)
This generic comment was brought to you by:

Tapewolf

Fantastic.  I hope it doesn't stress you out too badly..

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

EvilIguana966

Congratz Gabi! 

I'm curious though, what is the subject for which you are now the head teacher?  Also, what type of school are you teaching at.  I only ask because here in the USA the nomenclature is such that teacher generally refers to an educator in grades K-12 area whereas professor is almost exclusively used to describe a college level educator.  Forgive me if I am unfamiliar with the Argentinian system, but I'd be curious to learn more. 

Gabi

Thanks, everyone. :)

Actually, 'head teacher' is a term I made up because I don't know the English term for 'Jefe de trabajos prácticos'. I teach at university (or college, as you would say in the USA). And the subject is "Algorithms and Data Structures 2".

And yes, ITOS, I'm supposed to get paid more now, though it will still be very little by your standards (or the standards of anyone not used to an Argentinian educator's salary). From what I've heard it may rise up to 500 pesos a month, which would be approximately 162 US dollars.

llearch n'n'daCorna

"Jefe de trabajos prácticos" is, according to babelfish, "Head of practical works" - which is probably close enough.

Perhaps, if what you do, is what we english speaking (as a first language, rather than second, is what i mean) folks would call tutoring - rather than being the teacher, you're the folks who help in actually learning how to apply the work - the theoreitcal and practical sides being split into, usually, professorial and tutorial tracks...

Perhaps. I think it varies depending on which university within each country calls it - I know at least three universities in NZ called the two different posts three different pairs of names, so... *shrug* :-)

Perhaps something to discuss over a beer sometime? :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Toric

Sweet! Good to hear you're moving up in the world. I'm not too familiar with the new duties you have, but I have trouble dealing with people at times, especially barking out orders and trying to motivate people, so I can sympathize with you there.

Good luck with your new position! :mowhappy
Yap by Silver.

Gareeku

Awesome stuff, Gabi! :mowhappy I'm sure you'll do well in your new position. :)

Vaguely Creepy

Great to hear about it, Gabi! Good job!

And don't worry, I'm sure you'll fill the position wonderfully.

Bunnaroo

$162 a month? That's about the same amount I got bumped up when I became lead statistician. That's quite a bit, from my perspective!

Leafar

when i was serving the brazilian Air Force i had to command a group of soldiers for 4 months...they were my friends before BUT just cause i was in charge there they simply started to hate me... :(
oh, the nicknames they gave me :) ...even the devil would :O!!!!!!!

thegayhare

Wildy

Congradulations Gabi.

Its hard going into a leading position wher you have to sometimes command people. For someone who dosn't really like telling people what to do it can be hard. But you've got  your fellow teachers helping you out, which is really good. I think you can handle it.

I think because of that hopefully you won't have the problems that Leafar had. I was stuck into a supervisory position once and I was nervous as all get up. I was in charge of not only people my age but a few that were quite a bit older. And suffice to say I was more worried about the peer aged people, but it wasn't so bad once I got the hang of it. Trying not to let them intimidate you is the toughest part.

I think your going to do  just fine though. =D Lots of luck!

Gabi

Thanks a lot, Wildy. :mowsmile

And everyone else too.

Some of the teachers are older than me... and even one or two of the students (of the 90 students, that is), which is, I must admit, a bit awkward, but not too intimidating. Unlike the pile of work I have to do, that is intimidating. But so far I've been managing to do everything well enough, so I think I can manage for the rest of the semester. Though I'm already looking forward to the break I will get in January.

Leafar

i am sure by your kindness and intelligence you'll be a hell of a teacher!!!!!!a kick a** one!!!!!!!

Gabi

I'm here with a new report: I've survived my first exam review as a head teacher. That's one of the hardest and most exhausting tasks because I have to see all the exams (in this case 77) and listen to the teachers who corrected them, and decide what their grade will be. And store all the information in our database, for which I made a web interface so that it becomes easier from now on. This process took a bit longer than 2 days, but for the first time in the history of the subject, it was finished in time! So I'm proud... and exhausted. See you around!

Toric

Yap by Silver.

Zedd

Hilary

That's great! I'm really happy for you. I'm sure that you'll blow everyone away. ;)

Gabi

Zedd

Gabi

Tiger_T

Tigriel's got a guest:

A Furry fan, that's what I am! - Proud member of the AP-Team. - Avatar Art by INK

Zedd

Damaris

maybe meister?  I don't know about other places, but here it's similar to calling her the Gabinator. ;)

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Gabi