17/04/2011 [PF #166] Meet Torris Forgery

Started by ChaosMageX, April 17, 2011, 06:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChaosMageX

So Jakob really did create Torris's identity from scratch.  I can't help but wonder when exactly he did create Torris and fake his death, and how hard it was for him to create the fake identity and get it into all the official government databases and other stuff.

Also, how much harder would it be to create a fake identity in the current time that Project Future occurs, if at all?

I wonder what Torris's last name is, anyway.

And as for the last two panels, it would seem that the assassin has finally confronted Lord Daryil at that very moment.
Who will succeed in their battle?  Will that being assassin somehow be able to kill the great and powerful Lord Daryil?
Unfortunately, judging by the condition of Jakob and Ashley in the last panels, it isn't looking good for clan Daryil. :C

Still, having there tentacle heads pop is sort of amusing, and I love Keaton's face in the last panel's inset. :mwaha

Icon by Sunblink

Gabi

~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Tapewolf

Fun fact:  Ren originally envisioned the tentacle-heads burning away, however it looked like they were bursting so I took that idea and ran with it.

He hasn't seen the captions yet, he'll probably kill me for it in the morning...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

joshofspam

Odd thing about this is Daryil isn't a tri-wing, so is the loss of any clan leader regardless of having tri-wing status or not going to have severing issues?

This also doesn't really change the fact that clan Daryil might still be dangerous to her after such an action. I don't see much a change in power in Jakob's case just because Daryil might be gone.

I could almost see this backfiring on Keaton. What if Daryil made it so Jakob inherited his title?

Edit: Though they're those few modifications he did to his clan members. Hmmmmm... Maybe the question in strength is a mute point and the one that should be asked is how all the terms of Daryil's meddling in clan genetics and how enraged and confused will clan Daryil will be?

I'd be running right now if I was Keaton. There's no telling how this could end up.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Turnsky

"always have a backup plan should you ever fail, this plan should revolve entirely around your foes not winning, with proper plans, you can set yourself up to be a lynchpin by which entire empires would crumble should you cease to be there to hold it up" - Bengahl

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Madmann135

I don't believe it... Daryil is a goofball, a nice and eccentric goofball (mostly harmless). 
I can't imagine him dead.  I guess I am going to have to locate and start reading the text version of this comic. 

I know the odds are not good that he is alive, considering his clan is good with faking death as they are I hope he is alive but...

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Madmann135 on April 18, 2011, 01:36:19 AM
I don't believe it... Daryil is a goofball, a nice and eccentric goofball (mostly harmless). 
I can't imagine him dead.  I guess I am going to have to locate and start reading the text version of this comic. 

FWIW, there's one more page of the base, then we'll have a quick scene change which will either explain things or (hopefully) make them even more confusing.

Quote from: joshofspam on April 17, 2011, 07:58:37 PM
Though they're those few modifications he did to his clan members. Hmmmmm... Maybe the question in strength is a mute point and the one that should be asked is how all the terms of Daryil's meddling in clan genetics and how enraged and confused will clan Daryil will be?

I was about to say this myself, when I saw your edit.  And yes, whatever Daryil's situation is, she has just made big enemies.

Turnsky

Keaton didn't really think things through right to the end, did she?  >:3

Raskahn

I guess we'll find out how one Cubi With a clan leader holds up against two, very angry, Leaderless Cubi.
All bets are open ladies and gentlemen.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lone_Wolf on April 18, 2011, 11:39:57 AM
I guess we'll find out how one Cubi With a clan leader holds up against two, very angry, Leaderless Cubi.
All bets are open ladies and gentlemen.

Three, since Niall is also there - he's just off-shot.  (At first I assumed that it was Niall in the last two panels, not Ashley).
However, they're not in the best condition owing to a rather large psychic shock they've just received.

In the longer term you've got issues like the fact that Keaton is about to kill a Kamei'Sin member.  That might not go down well, and they did whup Jyraneth clan pretty badly last time.

joshofspam

There might even be fallout with other clans after this.

Jakob (and by association Daryil) was bringing something that could have been of great benefit to the other clans in both survival and in a political sense with the other races. How would the other clans react to having Keaton messing with their bread and butter even before they got to try some?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Madmann135

Quote from: joshofspam on April 18, 2011, 12:29:11 PM
There might even be fallout with other clans after this.

Jakob (and by association Daryil) was bringing something that could have been of great benefit to the other clans in both survival and in a political sense with the other races. How would the other clans react to having Keaton messing with their bread and butter even before they got to try some?

It would be less painful for her to self-decapitate.
I know what you are getting at.  People have fought wars over everything, technology is a common trend.  If through the actions of one individual, who is clearly out of her kind, progress was halted or derailed and profit could have been made... well then that individual would probably have a bounty on their head, a bounty made from numerous donations.
In reality Keaton is being very short sighted.  I hope it is her undoing.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Atheren

Shocking, i did not realize how much i liked Daryil until this page....

On a side note, a Keaton's own cast page points towards Daryil's death.

"Keaton's clan founder has not been heard of since the fall of the clan nearly six centuries ago. However, since her surviving children have heads upon their wing-tentacles - an effect which ceases if their founder dies - it would seem that she is still alive."

But then their is the fact that Daryil did not really found the clan, just branched it.

Tapewolf

Now this is one of those times I wish I could update the comic more quickly...

Turnsky

clearly you need to ship Ren across europe to real computers and internet connections.  :U

AmigaDragon

Quote from: joshofspam on April 17, 2011, 07:58:37 PMEdit: Though they're those few modifications he did to his clan members. Hmmmmm... Maybe the question in strength is a mute point and the one that should be asked is how all the terms of Daryil's meddling in clan genetics and how enraged and confused will clan Daryil will be?

Who keeps muting these points? Is it mimes? :mowhappy

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 17, 2011, 06:55:20 PMFun fact:  Ren originally envisioned the tentacle-heads burning away, however it looked like they were bursting so I took that idea and ran with it.

I'm wondering if the clan power has merely been severed or damped rather than Darryl actually being dead.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Sienna Maiu - M T

Quote from: Project Future; 2011/04/17
this comic may not make much sense at first
really? huh.  I hadn't noticed.

Quote from: ChaosMageX on April 17, 2011, 06:29:27 PM
I can't help but wonder when exactly he did create Torris and fake his death, and how hard it was for him to create the fake identity and get it into all the official government databases and other stuff.

Also, how much harder would it be to create a fake identity in the current time that Project Future occurs, if at all?
Well, I would imagine he created it "from scratch". The cloning took some twenty-five years... they just had to have Torris be about twenty years old or so to have staged his entire life... apart from that, if he were a travelling adventurer he might not have told anybody in the town he went to live in exactly where he had come from. His town could have been destroyed (also a good way to fake not having a public record...) or he could be wanting to protect his home town so he didn't tell anybody where he came from.

Will that being assassin somehow be able to kill the great and powerful Lord Daryil?
"being"? Oh no... it's very clearly a shapeshifter of some sort, and so far 'cubi are those that we're sure leave no magical trace in their transformations.

QuoteUnfortunately, judging by the condition of Jakob and Ashley in the last panels, it isn't looking good for clan Daryil. :C
I think it's a fake.
   Avatar by me. Signature image made from a picture by shadows-play on dA (circa 2007-2008).      :deadhorse
my art thread

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on April 19, 2011, 11:24:20 AM

That was mostly the benefit of anyone coming back to it having skipped a few months, or from fresh.

See also:  http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_692.php  (the subtitle in particular)

Quote from: ChaosMageX on April 17, 2011, 06:29:27 PM
I can't help but wonder when exactly he did create Torris and fake his death, and how hard it was for him to create the fake identity and get it into all the official government databases and other stuff.

The whole thing played out over about 6 months, maybe longer.  Jakob had to set up the Torris identity in advance, move into the area, make sure the locals knew who he was, and then live a fake life for a few weeks before doing the deed.  Then kick back and bask in glory until a sensible period of time has passed - having him die too soon might be suspicious.

Quoteapart from that, if he were a travelling adventurer he might not have told anybody in the town he went to live in exactly where he had come from. His town could have been destroyed (also a good way to fake not having a public record...) or he could be wanting to protect his home town so he didn't tell anybody where he came from.
That's basically it.  He styled himself as a wandering adventurer type who stays for a bit and then moves on.

Sienna Maiu - M T

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 19, 2011, 12:09:46 PM
Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on April 19, 2011, 11:24:20 AM

That was mostly the benefit of anyone coming back to it having skipped a few months, or from fresh.
wewt.  8)

That's basically it.  He styled himself as a wandering adventurer type who stays for a bit and then moves on.
But of course, if you killed the infamous Johan Cross people will be wanting to render your services for the rest of all  time... so you must die to eliminate suspicions of why you can't be found.  (Although, he could have just wandered off into the forest and never have been seen again, leaving a trail behind... but the way you did it takes more mystery out of it.)
   Avatar by me. Signature image made from a picture by shadows-play on dA (circa 2007-2008).      :deadhorse
my art thread

digitalvalues

*my first post* my guess is that Darryl ascended to Tri-wing status. Concidering that his "Clan" was made through Fakery, its logical that accending to tri wing status would destroy that bond. I had an entire dream on the subject last night infact. The number of "Fake Souls" he has absorbed is probably VERY high. i doubt that Darryl is dead, but i have been wrong many a time.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Turnsky on April 18, 2011, 07:14:57 PM
clearly you need to ship Ren across europe to real computers and internet connections.  :U

... Are you suggesting putting Ren in a box? I decline, good sir... ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Turnsky

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 20, 2011, 07:54:17 AM

naw, more like a crate.

Sienna Maiu - M T

Quote from: digitalvalues on April 19, 2011, 11:18:34 PM
my guess is that Darryl ascended to Tri-wing status. Concidering that his "Clan" was made through Fakery, its logical that accending to tri wing status would destroy that bond. I had an entire dream on the subject last night infact. The number of "Fake Souls" he has absorbed is probably VERY high.
The first 'cubi since Destania? Ballsy.
It's less logical than you think.

Quote from: Turnsky on April 21, 2011, 04:07:18 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 20, 2011, 07:54:17 AM
naw, more like a crate.
A train-car perhaps?
my art thread

Turnsky

y'know what amuses me about all this right now?

it just occurred to me that among many crimes jakob's been accused of, he can add one more to his list.

Fraud.  :U

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on April 21, 2011, 04:18:21 AM

I take it that was supposed to be Cyra?  Though some have suggested that Destania might be trying to ascend as part of her anti-dragon plan.  I guess we'll have to see what happens with her.

This is truer than you think, since he disconnected unexpectedly last night and hasn't returned yet.  Which annoys me owing to the cliffhanger.

Quote from: Turnsky on April 21, 2011, 10:30:52 PM
it just occurred to me that among many crimes jakob's been accused of, he can add one more to his list.

Yes, there are going to have to be some very delicate negotiations with Qual'neth about that.  Assuming Keaton doesn't ruin Jakob's entire project and sole source of income, of course.

Sienna Maiu - M T

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 22, 2011, 05:49:36 AM
Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on April 21, 2011, 04:18:21 AM

I take it that was supposed to be Cyra?
Indeed it was good sir, but I do believe it was five in the morning at the time, so the slip of the mind can be expected at that time.

Quote from: Turnsky on April 21, 2011, 10:30:52 PM
y'know what amuses me about all this right now?

You assume that he does not have that particular crime attributed to him already.
my art thread