04/11/2011 [DMFA #1209] - Through the... floor

Started by CoyoteCaliente, April 11, 2011, 12:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoyoteCaliente

Oh. my. gosh... I see it now... Crya Mustache..... IT CAN'T BE UNSEEEN. XD
I'm just a little bit... Aiene, Geisteskrank, Insano, Elnebajos, Vansinnig, Fou, Atamagaokashii, Gek, Dolzinnig, Hullu, Gila, Meschuge, Nebun, Dement... INSANE.

And do not tell your daddy how to ----.

Anri

You know, regarding the rant and grey basements forever.... can any grey basement truly survive being in close proximity to Abel?

Brunhidden

anyone else notice the magic glowing fingerprints?

also, fascinated by the mysterious metal things on her hair/ear divide
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Anri on April 11, 2011, 02:55:29 PM
You know, regarding the rant and grey basements forever.... can any grey basement truly survive being in close proximity to Abel?

Sure it can. It'll go slate, perhaps steel, maybe gun-metal...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

joshofspam

I wonder if this is the usual reaction when making long distance call to your tri wing clan leader in this way?

I could see this as a way how Fa'lina use to have fun with her children and grandchildren when her clan was still alive. Then again Dan was certainly asking for it in calling her in that way. It takes time for someone to answer the phone and that probably is true for any clan leader to answer the call for any member trying to make contact.

What Dan was thinking probably acted as the ring tone. Gave her plenty of time to set up the proper response.

Cyra:"I hold you in the palm of my hand, Grandson!" :P

She probably thinking he's all jumpy now.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Omegan

The dichotomy between Alexsi and Pyroduck's reactions in panel #4 is quite amusing.

Pyroduck thinks: OMG! What was that?
Alexsi thinks: Sigh... what now?
It's that Inherit the Earth guy.

FairWage22

Imagines:

Cyra:  Hello Grandson!  It was so kind of you to share your pain with your grandma.  Could you do that head-thumping thing again?

Dan:  ???

((Recalling Clan Cyra's affinity from the Clan Leaders section))
For decades I viewed myself as a 'wageslave', captive to whims of others and not realizing that by Naming myself that I *defined* myself.

Now many years older and wiser, I am trying to be the change  I want to see.

Anker Steadfast

Y'know ... instead of saying "yes", she should totally have finished the Name Game with "Cyra", that would have been perfect.  :)

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

lilpuppy23

For some reason, Skype came to mind when I read this today...

Probably just all the blue but still... Skype?

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on April 11, 2011, 05:21:45 PM
Y'know ... instead of saying "yes", she should totally have finished the Name Game with "Cyra", that would have been perfect.  :)

Actually, I think it's funnier this way. Dan clearly was semi-skeptical in the idea that just thinking about Cyra would mentally summon her, so he decided to be silly and just say (and think) her name over and over in that song. If I may open the panel to interpretation, the funniest thing to me would be thinking that every time he thought her name (with each word of the song) was an individual 'summon', so dan could have been unknowingly spamming her. Which then leads to her interrupting him with "Yes?" as in "What the hell do you want."  xD

But that's just the way I see it. ;)

MT Hazard

Now I'm imagining Cyra on the other end going "Hello? Hello? Are you still there?"

I can kind of see one of Dan's head wings in the third image, like a faint visual echo.

Also what is the song/game people are talking about?
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Tapewolf

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on April 11, 2011, 05:59:59 PM
Which then leads to her interrupting him with "Yes?" as in "What the hell do you want."  xD

Either that or "Dammit, my only grandchild is a retard"...

On the subject of "What the hell do you want", I wonder if Dan has actually worked out what he wants to ask her.  "Hi Gran, I just discovered that I'm going to turn into an emotional wreck.  Any ideas?" Or "Is my mom really evil?"
Should make for some interesting conversations.

Quote from: MT Hazard on April 11, 2011, 06:07:52 PM

I think there was a youtube link earlier (which I couldn't see properly at work) but yeah, I'd like to know too.  It would have been even more amusing if he'd just randomly made up a song...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Y'know ... instead of saying "yes", she should totally have finished the Name Game with "Cyra", that would have been perfect.  :)

Actually, I think it's funnier this way. Dan clearly was semi-skeptical in the idea that just thinking about Cyra would mentally summon her, so he decided to be silly and just say (and think) her name over and over in that song. If I may open the panel to interpretation, the funniest thing to me would be thinking that every time he thought her name (with each word of the song) was an individual 'summon', so dan could have been unknowlingly spamming her. Which then leads to her interrupting him with "Yes?" as in "What the hell do you want."  xD

See, I saw it as Dan just starting to think of her. And then, in his usual way, getting bored and distracted and going on to do something else.

And then Cyra turning up to see what he wanted, somewhat unexpectedly. At least, I don't think Dan expected her to show up - certainly not so quickly.

I'd go into the capability of higher powers to be in more than one place at a time, but since Dan is her only grandson, I'm not sure it's actually relevant; I'm sure Cyra would be more than willing to spend time talking to him. I mean, she was willing enough to talk last time around... *grin*

techmaster-glitch

Hazard Hazard bo Bazard, Bonana Mana mo Mazard, fee fy fo Fazard.
Hazard!

Does that answer your question? :P (it's just a kid's name-mixing game.)

MT Hazard

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 11, 2011, 06:09:13 PM

Either that or "Dammit, my only grandchild is a retard"...

On the subject of "What the hell do you want", I wonder if Dan has actually worked out what he wants to ask her.  "Hi Gran, I just discovered that I'm going to turn into an emotional wreck.  Any ideas?" Or "Is my mom really evil?"
Should make for some interesting conversations.

What to call her is another issue, Grandmother? Leader? Cyra? Ma'am?

Also the other awkward questions "How did you become a clan leader? What happened to the rest of the clan?"

ishidan

I think there was a youtube link earlier (which I couldn't see properly at work) but yeah, I'd like to know too.  It would have been even more amusing if he'd just randomly made up a song...
Oh that, that's an American classic.   From 1964...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MJLi5_dyn0

ishidan

Next question, when he finishes his conversation with Cyra, how many annoyed Warp-aci will be waiting to have a word?

I think he summoned at least three of them just before Cyra manifested.

Lore

Anyone else notice the picture of Dan and Wildy in Dan's room? The amount of detail Amber has been putting into her backgrounds lately is fantastic.

MT Hazard

Quote from: Spooks on April 11, 2011, 06:57:46 PM
Anyone else notice the picture of Dan and Wildy in Dan's room? The amount of detail Amber has been putting into her backgrounds lately is fantastic.

That picture originally appeared in an earlier strip, can't remember which one though.

Related link: A good example of high levels of background detail

Edit: Thanks for clearing the double post.

D'ymkarra

Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on April 11, 2011, 03:11:52 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on April 11, 2011, 02:52:44 AM
I see Dan didn't bother with the shirt...

No doubt to show that Dan doesn't really take Abel's word seriously and so that Amber can show us just why he said it.

^^ This.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 11, 2011, 06:09:45 PMSee, I saw it as Dan just starting to think of her. And then, in his usual way, getting bored and distracted and going on to do something else.

I remember Abel mentioning that Cubi in general have unusually short attention spans...Then again, this is Dan; He excels in taking things to extremes  :rolleyes
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

Anker Steadfast

Actually, I think it's funnier this way. Dan clearly was semi-skeptical in the idea that just thinking about Cyra would mentally summon her, so he decided to be silly and just say (and think) her name over and over in that song. If I may open the panel to interpretation, the funniest thing to me would be thinking that every time he thought her name (with each word of the song) was an individual 'summon', so dan could have been unknowingly spamming her. Which then leads to her interrupting him with "Yes?" as in "What the hell do you want."  xD

I see what you mean, but I doubt she would be annoyed by finally getting contacted by a clanmember.

However, for some reason, I like it when people break character stereotype ... so far Cyra follows the "serious and godly-powerful, but kind" stereotype. If she had sung along on the song, it would have shown her playful side and also broken stereotype a bit. It's sorta like when you think of a Reggae player, you think of a dude with dreadlocks, and not a young blond belgian girl. It seems odd to begin with, but along the way, you realise that it works rather nicely.

On a sidenote, would Cyra get in touch with Dan in the same away?

Cyra : Dan Dan Bo Ban, Banana Mana mo Man, Fe fi fo Fan ♪
Cyra : Dan! ♪♫ :D
Cyra : Dan ?
Cyra : Helooo ? Dan, are you there ?
Dan : ... uhhhn ... why do I still get hangovers?

Infranscia

Come to think, it's hard to tell what exactly Cyra thinks of Dan singing that little song when she's covering her mouth with, well, him.  I think her eyebrows are raised in a bit of excitement, but I'm not really sure.

Intentionally or otherwise, it looks like when Cyra may have (mentally) hit Dan pretty hard.  I mean, there's a line of psychic hitting him through his head, among other things.  Add in that Dan obviously didn't expect a response, and it's no wonder he jumped. X3
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

Anker Steadfast

Well, wether she hit him hard or not, she certainly took him completely by surprise.  :D

Will be interesting to see where Amber takes this.

AmigaDragon

"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on April 11, 2011, 10:45:51 PM
I see what you mean, but I doubt she would be annoyed by finally getting contacted by a clanmember.

Look at the way she was smiling last time she spoke to him. "Them dames, they be talkers."

Quote from: Infranscia on April 12, 2011, 12:48:47 AM
Intentionally or otherwise, it looks like when Cyra may have (mentally) hit Dan pretty hard.  I mean, there's a line of psychic hitting him through his head, among other things.  Add in that Dan obviously didn't expect a response, and it's no wonder he jumped. X3

Psychic hit, I don't think so. That's how Amber usually shows surprise, or sudden realisations, IMHO. In other words - that's showing that Dan has been surprised doing something silly by his grandmother. I don't know anyone who wouldn't jump if their grandmother caught them doing silly things with her name unexpectedly.

... even though he's been told to expect her, it's obvious he didn't expect it to actually work... *grin* Which, of course, is Dan all over.

Thinking about that, I'd guess that Cyra knows a little bit about "kids like that" herself, and is probably amused by it. Almost certainly. After all, the grandmother stereotype includes milk and cookies and smiling at their grandkids, right? Same thing here...

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 12, 2011, 04:07:41 AM
Psychic hit, I don't think so. That's how Amber usually shows surprise, or sudden realisations, IMHO.

This is true, but it could go either way.  The title of the strip is "Even when calling collect, be prepared for a charge." so while he's clearly startled that it actually worked, it might also mean that by directly communicating with her, he's suddenly got a big jolt of Cyra's power.

Sienna Maiu - M T

Quote from: Naldru on April 11, 2011, 12:58:06 PM
I believe that the look on Alexsi's face is related to the fact that she has the fire department on speed dial.
Wait.. you don't?

Quote from: CoyoteCaliente on April 11, 2011, 02:38:06 PM
Oh. my. gosh... I see it now... Crya Mustache..... IT CAN'T BE UNSEEEN. XD
I still vote butterfly on nose (so cute~)

Quote from: Brunhidden on April 11, 2011, 03:18:59 PM
also, fascinated by the mysterious metal things on her hair/ear divide
They could be magical, or just imbued with the powers of AMAZING STYLE.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 11, 2011, 03:23:45 PM
Quote from: Anri on April 11, 2011, 02:55:29 PM

Sure it can. It'll go slate, perhaps steel, maybe gun-metal...
but, silver...

Quote from: Omegan on April 11, 2011, 04:07:18 PM
The dichotomy between Alexsi and Pyroduck's reactions in panel #4 is quite amusing.

Pyroduck thinks: OMG! What was that?
Alexsi thinks: Sigh... what now?

Can not deny.

Y'know ... instead of saying "yes", she should totally have finished the Name Game with "Cyra", that would have been perfect.  :)
Maybe, maybe... or would it? ¬.¬

Actually, I think it's funnier this way. Dan clearly was semi-skeptical in the idea that just thinking about Cyra would mentally summon her, so he decided to be silly and just say (and think) her name over and over in that song.
Agreed. This way it's more like "I am unphased by your singing (and skepticism)", rather than "that's so awesome, Imma SING ALONG! :D"
And I think that speaks more for his attention span... he got bored, doing a task he thought was pointless.

"Hannah-banna fo-fanna, fi-fy-fo-fanna Hannah!"
That's the basic one... but basically you take a name and replace the ends of the words to rhyme to it.

Quote from: MT Hazard on April 11, 2011, 06:15:25 PM
What to call her is another issue, Grandmother? Leader? Cyra? Ma'am?
Didn't she tell him before what to call her?  Apart from that... I suppose Cyra would work... but anybody could call her 'Cyra', how many people can call her 'Gramma'?

Quote from: ishidan on April 11, 2011, 06:33:45 PM
Next question, when he finishes his conversation with Cyra, how many annoyed Warp-aci will be waiting to have a word?

I think he summoned at least three of them just before Cyra manifested.
... how do you figure?

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure it's a cut-and-paste.

Quote from: MT Hazard on April 11, 2011, 07:28:22 PM

That picture originally appeared in an earlier strip, can't remember which one though.
:yeahthat

Quote from: D'ymkarra on April 11, 2011, 09:18:43 PM
I remember Abel mentioning that Cubi in general have unusually short attention spans...Then again, this is Dan; He excels in taking things to extremes  :rolleyes
And if you think about it... with what we just learned, if Dan thought that what he was doing was silly, then chances are the emotion of the silliness swept him up into it.

Quote from: AmigaDragon on April 12, 2011, 03:29:41 AM
Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on April 11, 2011, 02:01:48 AM
Quote from: DavidRokon on April 11, 2011, 01:56:15 AM
Dan's wings are now a mustache, I can't unsee it.
Conversely, I didn't see it.

I bet you can't unsee it now too.
Nope, still just see the butterfly :B

- - -
OMG, tl;dr
   Avatar by me. Signature image made from a picture by shadows-play on dA (circa 2007-2008).      :deadhorse
my art thread

MT Hazard

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 12, 2011, 05:34:54 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 12, 2011, 04:07:41 AM
Psychic hit, I don't think so. That's how Amber usually shows surprise, or sudden realisations, IMHO.

This is true, but it could go either way.  The title of the strip is "Even when calling collect, be prepared for a charge." so while he's clearly startled that it actually worked, it might also mean that by directly communicating with her, he's suddenly got a big jolt of Cyra's power.

It might also be that she is using the voice again, something that caused discomfort last time and that was from a distance, now imagine it right in your ear, when you weren't expecting it.

Also, did the radio project people manage to figure out how to portray that voice?

Sienna Maiu - M T

Quote from: MT Hazard on April 12, 2011, 08:08:46 AM
It might also be that she is using the voice again, something that caused discomfort last time and that was from a distance, now imagine it right in your ear, when you weren't expecting it.
Neh. I'd say that the distance is about the same, really. Though, she may be putting a little extra on in 1209...
[Editted because I realized I left something off:] Whoa, typo alert! 'Arranged' is all one word man, that should *not* be on two lines D:<
[/edit end]
(and man... every time I look back at older strips I can not get over how different everything looks now. I definitely am digging how everything looks more mature and proportionately accurate ^-^ Though, I think I like how Abel's hair looked back in 2007.  Wow. Imagine if Abel and Jyrras somehow had a lovechild? Between Jy's ears and Abel's hair... :.)

Also, did the radio project people manage to figure out how to portray that voice?
Man. That would be ballin'.
   Avatar by me. Signature image made from a picture by shadows-play on dA (circa 2007-2008).      :deadhorse
my art thread

Tapewolf

I keep forgetting to look into that, even with reminders :<
eq-wise I'm not sure, but I am imagining a lot of echo.