Foxfire reboot discussion thread.

Started by Turnsky, March 29, 2011, 05:04:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcblade

It's a bit late for me to add to this discussion, but I'd like to put a word in regardless. 

I've seen this sort of thing happen often, usually because the artist looks back at his or her early art and goes "AUGH."  They then put the comic on hold while they clean up/redraw everything.  The redrawing commences, and a few months later, the comic dies.  I've seen it repeated over and over. 

I recall just one comic that did not follow this cycle.  The creator of Evil Plan did not halt the comic for redraws.  She decreased the number of updates per month, but the story continued.  When she was done redrawing, life went on as it had before. 

So, if possible, I would suggest continuing the current storyline (slowly) as well as redoing the first book. 

Turnsky

Edit: if i come off rather abrasive it's because i'm tired, please take no offense.

But this is how it goes: i'm pretty much working on this comic by myself. i have a job, and maaaany other real life stresses i'd rather not get into right now.
Also have commission work i need to get done.
I'm also trying to rewrite honest-to-god character bios. cast pics. various other tidbits of information.
Also trying to rework the plot into something that's consistent and actually makes bloody sense in the long run.

also truth be told? I kinda take offense to
QuoteThe creator of Evil Plan did not halt the comic for redraws.  She decreased the number of updates per month, but the story continued.  When she was done redrawing, life went on as it had before.
So, if possible, I would suggest continuing the current storyline (slowly) as well as redoing the first book. 
I'm not that comic's artist, SHE also has a WRITER to help her work on things. (allow me to reiterate the fact that I'm working on this solo).

As mentioned before the previous edit, that you failed to take notice of the already sporadic update schedule. have you not noticed the comic last updated in march, and the last story-orientated page was in the previous october?

quite frankly i'm irritated to the point of flinging a LOT of bile your way, but sometimes impatient people just make me want to work on things far less.

So you can bloody well wait.  >:[

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Arcblade on June 19, 2011, 10:44:01 AM
It's a bit late for me to add to this discussion, but I'd like to put a word in regardless. 

You're right, it is a bit late.

Quote from: Arcblade on June 19, 2011, 10:44:01 AM
I recall just one comic that did not follow this cycle.  The creator of Evil Plan did not halt the comic for redraws.  She decreased the number of updates per month, but the story continued.  When she was done redrawing, life went on as it had before. 

The creator of A Girl And Her Fed (No, I'm not going to bother giving you a link. you can just google it. It's not _that_ hard to figure out the domain...) has done much the same thing, except that she's not re-organising the story completely; some minor tweaks, but mostly just redoing the art.

She's got some 100 or so pages into the story, so far. As I recall, she's been doing the redraw for the last couple of years, and is about halfway through it. It is a major, major undertaking.

Having said that, I'm not pushing Turnsky to update, either. I'm more than happy that he knows better than I do what he wants to do with the story; my only concern is that at current rate, I'm _never_ going to find out what happens, because he's going to die of extreme old age before he finishes. And, frankly, that's just my bad luck.

What I'd like most is to win the lottery, so I can find the various authors I like most, and make significant donations in their directions. I can't see that happening anytime soon...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

ShadesFox

I'm just going to agree with llearch on his points. I know that I've even posted "MOAR ART NAO" in this thread, but that is because Turnsky knows I'm an ass.
The All Purpose Fox

Turnsky

if i ever become filthy rich, you can be my butler, shades, you're already a giant butt as is, so you're well and truly qualified enough.  :U

suffice to say, this comic, isn't my job, i like to make it, but between life and bills, it has to take second fiddle.

Arcblade

Quote from: Turnsky on June 19, 2011, 11:52:29 AM
Edit: if i come off rather abrasive it's because i'm tired, please take no offense.

But this is how it goes: i'm pretty much working on this comic by myself. i have a job, and maaaany other real life stresses i'd rather not get into right now.
Also have commission work i need to get done.
I'm also trying to rewrite honest-to-god character bios. cast pics. various other tidbits of information.
Also trying to rework the plot into something that's consistent and actually makes bloody sense in the long run.

also truth be told? I kinda take offense to
QuoteThe creator of Evil Plan did not halt the comic for redraws.  She decreased the number of updates per month, but the story continued.  When she was done redrawing, life went on as it had before.
I'm not that comic's artist, SHE also has a WRITER to help her work on things. (allow me to reiterate the fact that I'm working on this solo).

As mentioned before the previous edit, that you failed to take notice of the already sporadic update schedule. have you not noticed the comic last updated in march, and the last story-orientated page was in the previous october?

quite frankly i'm irritated to the point of flinging a LOT of bile your way, but sometimes impatient people just make me want to work on things far less.

So you can bloody well wait.  >:[

Since I see I've offended you, I'll apologize first and foremost.  It wasn't my intention.  

I'm willing to wait.  I did not take note of your update schedule because I started reading the comic yesterday.  Essentially, I worked through the archives in the space of a day, decided it was good, and added it to my read list.  I understand that you have a life, and of course it must take first precedence.  I didn't mean to imply otherwise.  I merely wanted to make my knowledge available, in case it would help.

Also, if this is "abrasive", I'd hate to see when you do mean offense.   :)

Again, I'm sorry.  I didn't mean to make a long day longer, nor detract from your enthusiasm for the comic.  

Turnsky

alright, all is forgiven (belatedly).

Just FYI folks, if the site's acting wonky, it's because i'm gonna try and eke out some renovation time out of the comic, and perhaps see if i can't have the old pages elsewhere on the site itself without interfering with the frontpage.

Comicpress isn't exactly the most pleasant beasts to wrangle, granted the latest does seem to be pretty flexible.

AmigaDragon

Once the reboot starts, what kind of posting schedule are you aiming for?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Turnsky

Quote from: AmigaDragon on July 22, 2011, 08:42:37 PM
Once the reboot starts, what kind of posting schedule are you aiming for?

twice a month hopefully.

Turnsky

just to prove i have been alive this past while, i gave the site a facelift.

Arcblade

It's very clean and pretty.  I have, of course, always been a fan of blue.  ^_^

ShadesFox

It is pretty, now we just need Duke Nukem on the cover... *shifty eyes*
The All Purpose Fox

Lurkie

I like it.  Not that I disliked the old page, mind, but I like this better.  Spare, clean, almost spartan, but still decorative.  Very nice.
|  Space   ||   Space  ||  It's Hard  ||  A Place  ||  Burma  |
|  is Big  ||  is Dark ||   to Find   ||  to Park  ||  Shave  |

Turnsky

personal design philosophy, comic's the forefront, and i don't want the other elements to detract from that, but still delivers what one needs from a site.

lilpuppy23

I for one, like the new site design, though it is slightly awkward using the buttons on the left. In my opinion, it would be better with all the menu stuff at the top.

Of course, it could always just be that I'm used to the old design with the menu stuff at the right.
As a minor suggestion, it would be nice if there was a small amount of text under the feed button telling you it's the feed.

Turnsky

Quote from: lilpuppy23 on August 23, 2011, 03:08:55 AM
As a minor suggestion, it would be nice if there was a small amount of text under the feed button telling you it's the feed.

good idea, it is done.

as for the menu along the top? has merit, i'll see how i can make it work with what design elements i have.

joshofspam

It will be interesting to see how the roles of the other four Wendigos play out in the re-due. Will we get more of an idea of their roles to play with Luke?

Heck, I'm a little concerned about how Beth and the techie are handling the new world their on. I doubt any of the forced training would help them on this primitive seeming world.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Raskahn

Turnsky,

Foxfire has been in my bookmarks for gods know how long and I hope the reboot will work out how you'd like it.
Cheers!

Turnsky

OKAY.

To sate people's curiousity i'll state this as plainly as i can, and since xepher is down.

is when i'll be relaunching the comic in its entirety.

I'm about to get really snippy here, but let's face facts.

I HAVE A LIFE. I HAVE A JOB.
My life does not revolve around making comics. My life is also filled with a few personal matters that i deign to not make you all privy to.
I've also got a buttload of background work to get done.
As well as the website overhaul.
oooh, something resembling a buffer.
Character redesigns, various minor retcons.
the list goes on.

suffice to say if you want something halfassed. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

I really don't think some folks appreciate the amount of work that would go into something that should have a decent, in-depth story.
But yeah, 2012. That's Two-Thousand and Twelve, folks. might be January, might be February, who knows?!
but it's like this, i have eleven pages to complete (cover and prologue) three of these are done, the rest are all inked and ready for color.

sorry for the ranty folks, but pestering me is a surefire way to get under my skin. and subsequently earn my wrath.
speaking of which, i've gotta start compiling a list of names for the meat tree.

llearch n'n'daCorna

*raises hand* Where do we go to pay for the privilege of seeing your strips, then? Since those of us who make money for a living might have some spare they can heave in your direction and all?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Turnsky on November 01, 2011, 10:43:08 AM...i've gotta start compiling a list of names for the meat tree.

Is there some importance in-comic to who was consumed in the meat tree? Or are you talking about a forum meat tree for those who annoy you?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Turnsky

Quote from: AmigaDragon on November 01, 2011, 02:51:06 PM
Quote from: Turnsky on November 01, 2011, 10:43:08 AM...i've gotta start compiling a list of names for the meat tree.

Is there some importance in-comic to who was consumed in the meat tree? Or are you talking about a forum meat tree for those who annoy you?

the latter, really.

PrincessFanona

Hi, so I'm more of a new reader of the comic and I love it! Officially, I cant wait for the new year now~ Good luck with keeping up with everything, I know what its like when life explodes and its really hard to keep up with the things you love...I'm not sure if this post should go here but oh wells... oh! remember to sleep, sleep is good, (I'm an architecture student and we don't sleep so yea...) back to point: YAYS  :hug

ShadesFox

You know, around that time is when I get my fun gun... 2012 seems to be shaping up to be a good year. And if yOu need help bringing down some people...
The All Purpose Fox

Haianel

New to the forum, not to the comic, been bookmarked since my last computer. Anyways, 2012!? WOOT! That is AWESOME (I really don't mind the wait, in short.) But really! As if some graduation wasn't gonna be enough, this too?! sweet! And I am glad to hear that it is still going; been trying to find this in my THOUSANDS of bookmarks... but that's not the point. I appreciate that you put this up, and I apologize for being 8 months late (I am not a very observant person; if I am reading, I am not paying attention to what is around the material or myself.)

Tangent done.

Good to find/hear about this, look forward to next year, and i'm out.

kitten

I am glad to hear that the story is being continued/rebooted!!

I have been eagerly waiting for a new page since October 2010. I will continue to eagerly wait for the beginning of the reboot now that I know it is coming rather then waiting for a next page to continue the older format.

-Old reader/new forum member