03/01/2011 [DMFA# 1183] - My undead brother

Started by Tapewolf, January 03, 2011, 06:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

That_wolf

...Huh. I guess the smallness of the words, and the depressing sight of Abel hid those words.
Abel needs a hug...

Anker Steadfast

And all of that fighting 'n' stuff, happened about 375 years ago, in comic time.

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Quote from: Spirit Studios on January 03, 2011, 12:39:15 PM
But even if there is another soul in Devin's body, (what's left of) the brain is still Devin's brain, and thus should still hold the memories of his past life. Speaking in biological terms, the wrinkles in the grey matter are what determine many factors about a person's intelligence, so who's to say that they don't work with the part of the brain that stores memories, kind of like a record?
However, it's pretty difficult to tell how much influence brain anatomy has on personality in a world where magic is real and emotions are a form of energy*. Also, there seem to be some Undeads who have damaged heads and who can still "live" on without many problems. (On thinking about this, this sounds like something interesting to research. hmmmm...  >:3)

On the other hand, the souls of the Fae seem definitely separate from personality and memory, so maybe you're right. And I for once would find it sad if the memories were lost. Undead Devin seemed to have quite an interest to know his past and even though the circumstances of his death were disturbing and traumatizing, he has enough persons around him that could help him to cope with it.

(* Note: I don't mean to repeat the stale old "This is fantasy, so stop speculating" mantra. I just mean that the laws of nature and biology in Furrae are probably very different than our laws of nature, so one should take care IMO which set to use when speculating :V)

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on January 06, 2011, 05:09:01 PM
And all of that fighting 'n' stuff, happened about 375 years ago, in comic time.

Hey, Gollum spent 500+ years just sitting in a cave and he wasn't even the equivalent of a Creature. So what do you expect?

Tapewolf

Quote from: 127.0.0.2 on January 06, 2011, 06:44:12 PM
On the other hand, the souls of the Fae seem definitely separate from personality and memory, so maybe you're right.

Bear in mind that the Fae don't have souls in the same way as, say, Devin does.  You cannot directly compare Fae life-energy with Being or Creature souls because they're not the same thing.  Albanion only used that word so that Jyrras would understand.  As Rose put it, the Fae aren't even considered alive by some benchmarks.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Hmm, I forgot about that. I guess then all bets are off again regarding how souls and memory are related, except if any of you wiki guys know more than I do. But it might still be interesting to see in the future.

Tapewolf

Quote from: 127.0.0.2 on January 06, 2011, 06:53:44 PM
But it might still be interesting to see in the future.
Indeed, it has quite profound implications.  Specifically, if it really is Devin's soul but the memory has decayed over the centuries in a fashion horribly similar to Alzheimers, then the same would presumably also hold for May, Hennya, Xander, Cindy and so on and so forth. 
Compared to that prospect, I'd prefer to think that the original Devin is out there in the beyond somewhere, alongside Xander...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 06, 2011, 07:23:40 PM
Indeed, it has quite profound implications.  Specifically, if it really is Devin's soul but the memory has decayed over the centuries in a fashion horribly similar to Alzheimers, then the same would presumably also hold for May, Hennya, Xander, Cindy and so on and so forth.
There may be other reasons why he can't remember, though, reversible and irreversible ones. It might be a side effect of the mysterious incident that has brought him back to (some kind of) consciousness in the first place, or it might even be purely psychological - effects from a trauma caused by his death or something like that.

Tangent

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 06, 2011, 07:23:40 PM
Quote from: 127.0.0.2 on January 06, 2011, 06:53:44 PM
But it might still be interesting to see in the future.
Indeed, it has quite profound implications.  Specifically, if it really is Devin's soul but the memory has decayed over the centuries in a fashion horribly similar to Alzheimers, then the same would presumably also hold for May, Hennya, Xander, Cindy and so on and so forth. 
Compared to that prospect, I'd prefer to think that the original Devin is out there in the beyond somewhere, alongside Xander...

I prefer to believe in the Universal Spiritual Recycling Program - that their souls have been reborn... and maybe, just maybe, they'll be reunited in another form someday, be it as lovers or friends. Not siblings. That's just wrong. Yes, I'm looking at YOU, manga version of Kannazuki no miko .
Robert A. Howard, Tangents Reviews
http://www.tangents.us

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Tangent on January 08, 2011, 12:42:48 PMI prefer to believe in the Universal Spiritual Recycling Program

Uhh .... now I have those mental image flashes of a big factory like soul recycling facility !!   :U

- Let us Recycle Your SOUL, Because we Care!
- Please insert soul before pressing the button.
- Souls are not Trash, they are a Resource!
- Don't throw your soul away, littering is bad for the environment!
- The Choice is Yours - Save It or Waste It
- Recyclers, live twice!

:D

Dang, my mind is a weird place sometimes. 

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on January 13, 2011, 07:20:14 AM
- Please insert soul before pressing the button.

That_wolf

The scary thing is, with her evil/ish plotting, I wouldn't put it past her.
Abel needs a hug...

But she's only plotting evil for the greater good :U

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Maark30

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 13, 2011, 04:13:45 PM
Quote from: 127.0.0.2 on January 13, 2011, 02:28:37 PM

Yes, but whose?

I think she is trying to make that universe so that all creatures and beings can coexist with some semblance of peace and order,  Sort of the same thing that Fa'lina wants.  But in Mab's case if the universe goes boom she can always go to another so no harm no foul... for her.
Proud member of the "Let the artist know how much you love her work" club

Hariman

Quote from: Maark30 on January 14, 2011, 01:00:06 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 13, 2011, 04:13:45 PM
Quote from: 127.0.0.2 on January 13, 2011, 02:28:37 PM

Yes, but whose?

I think she is trying to make that universe so that all creatures and beings can coexist with some semblance of peace and order,  Sort of the same thing that Fa'lina wants.  But in Mab's case if the universe goes boom she can always go to another so no harm no foul... for her.

I'm not so sure that Fa'lina couldn't escape if the universe went boom. Mab did say that Fa'lina is an "old/new friend from another time/place", so Fa'lina might be even more than just a nigh omnipotent Cubi clan leader.

The world going "boom" due to one of Mab's friends is another issue. The foreshadowing might point toward Dan, but it's also possible that one of Jyrras' inventions could destroy the world.

And unless I miss my guess, a material that is completely magic free would probably be a very effective defense/offense against magical creatures/weapons.
Am I the only person who thinks that Mr. Roboto rusts out and eventually becomes the Ironman?

No not that Ironman, the other one!

Anker Steadfast

Fa'Lina would most likely survive the Universe going boom.
She did after all create her academy in a pocket dimension with some pretty heavy duty wards on it - It could probably survive it.

Captain

The rest of the universe doesn't need to exist for the cubi in there to be fine.

Cubi there could feed on (their own collective) emotions for sustenance for the rest of eternity.
If you want to visit me:
Download this: http://shoddybattle.com/downloads
then go to Captain's Modded Server and look for captaiN

If we're going into full speculation mode, don't forget the other fractions that there are. Most noteably the dragons which seem almost on par with the Fae regarding power. And then there is Destania's quest to get rid of them...

Fa'Lina might be special, but in general Cubi always seemed still having a good bit less power than the Fae to me. In an "atomic bomb vs H bomb" kind of way, that is... :B

Madd the Sane

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on January 14, 2011, 04:55:24 AM
She did after all create her academy in a pocket dimension with some pretty heavy duty wards on it - It could probably survive it.
In my unprofessional opinion, I think Mab helped her with that :B
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

Maark30

Quote from: Madd the Sane on January 15, 2011, 09:56:43 AM
Quote from: Anker Steadfast on January 14, 2011, 04:55:24 AM
In my unprofessional opinion, I think Mab helped her with that :B

well Mab does consider Fa'lina as a friend, even if it is from another time and place.

Anker Steadfast

Maybe that other time and place was the universe that *did* collapse ?
So they made another one, a new one, a better one, to play around in.

:)

Maark30

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on January 19, 2011, 05:09:56 AM
Maybe that other time and place was the universe that *did* collapse ?
So they made another one, a new one, a better one, to play around in.

:)

Yup, that sounds about right. :mowninja