03/01/2011 [DMFA# 1183] - My undead brother

Started by Tapewolf, January 03, 2011, 06:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Makes me wonder how easy it is for older 'Cubi to get drunk, if they become less biological as they age.  Though in Abel's case, if he's retained the ability to dream it would probably still get to his head.

As for Devin, if that is his original soul recycled fae-style, it's not going to be good news for Xander either, wherever he may be.  I'd prefer to think it was a brand new soul...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Icalasari

Abel MAY need something stiffer...

Also, I'M SORRY FOR THE PUN PLEASE DON'T HURT ME! ;.;

EDIT: Pun was the title:

Wine-ing about exposition
Quote from: MT Hazard on January 08, 2011, 10:54:19 AM
Warning! This cubi has encountered an unknown error and needs to restart
Do you wish to start in safe mode ? Y/N
Loading last known good configuration.....
Loading WinMows....

Valynth

I think most older 'cubi tend to sustain themselves through emotions/souls alone, though they may have similar effects.

Devin may be a case of amnesia, like being stuck in a coma for long periods, and revisting his memories via Abel's telling might jump start a recovery.  My money is on "blank soul" though.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Kaerou

Is it just me or does Devin look different (facial features wise) now than he did i the past?

I really like his older design, but his modern face looks strange.

No disrespect intended, might just be the angles.

by Silverfoxr! Thank you!

Alondro

If this is all due to some side-effect of magical dabbling, I might expect a random association of soul and animated dead body.  Whatever soul happened to be floating by just kinda got sucked in by the force of the magical properties.

But to know for sure, I'd have to study the spells involved and then do a quantum analysis of how they alter the brane structure of the space-time continuum...  :B
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Anker Steadfast

I suspect the answer to this lies in Amber's pencil genetics.
Which ever we expect the least !

:D

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Arcblade

I like the idea that Devin got his own soul back, honestly.  His first childhood sucked, and I think while was alive, he really felt like he wasted a lot of years getting over that.  I also feel like he kept his overall personality, even though his upbringing was vastly different.  He still displays signs of his former "honest jerk" type mentality. 

Those examples could be merely because he dislikes Regina, of course.  Still, it's very similar, and it's not the kind of wit Regina or Lorenda seem to display.  Obviously siblings in a family are not identical, but there's usually a decent amount of similarity.  So I suspect Devin got his old soul back. 

These are all just shots in the dark, of course.  I'd love it if we find out that it's the case.  Sort of a second chance at life, y'know?  Also, I like Devin so far. 

A.J.

Quote from: Arcblade on January 03, 2011, 11:46:23 AM
I like the idea that Devin got his own soul back, honestly.  His first childhood sucked, and I think while was alive, he really felt like he wasted a lot of years getting over that.  I also feel like he kept his overall personality, even though his upbringing was vastly different.  He still displays signs of his former "honest jerk" type mentality. 

Those examples could be merely because he dislikes Regina, of course.  Still, it's very similar, and it's not the kind of wit Regina or Lorenda seem to display.  Obviously siblings in a family are not identical, but there's usually a decent amount of similarity.  So I suspect Devin got his old soul back. 

These are all just shots in the dark, of course.  I'd love it if we find out that it's the case.  Sort of a second chance at life, y'know?  Also, I like Devin so far. 

I agree in that this makes total sense. In a way Kria is like the mother that Devin never had, one who actually cared for him and helped him.

But even if there is another soul in Devin's body, (what's left of) the brain is still Devin's brain, and thus should still hold the memories of his past life. Speaking in biological terms, the wrinkles in the grey matter are what determine many factors about a person's intelligence, so who's to say that they don't work with the part of the brain that stores memories, kind of like a record?
Crowning Achievements in DMFA History #1: Panel 3 of comic #102; #2: Panel 7 of comic #1334

Shachza

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 03, 2011, 06:36:49 AM
As for Devin, if that is his original soul recycled fae-style, it's not going to be good news for Xander either, wherever he may be.  I'd prefer to think it was a brand new soul...

I think that would be even worse.  If the fae found out that DP had somehow created new souls from nothing; think how that would impact their society.  No more Hollows anyone?!
            <-- #1 that is!

Cogidubnus

Hard to say without really knowing what Dark Pegasus did to 'awaken' all the undead. I have a feeling that this isn't the same Devin as before, though.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Shachza on January 03, 2011, 01:29:10 PM
I think that would be even worse.  If the fae found out that DP had somehow created new souls from nothing; think how that would impact their society.  No more Hollows anyone?!

Well, that's a bit of a sticky issue.  Firstly, Fae don't have souls in the conventional sense anyway so what applies to Beings may not apply to Fae and vice-versa.

Where Beings are concerned, simply having a child might create a soul from nothing, as it were.  It might be that a soul naturally forms around a functioning mind like a gravitational field forms around a mass or waving a magnet over a wire induces current.
Or of course, it could be reincarnation, and that opens up a whole can of worms.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Tangent

I like how poor Abel has to decide if he's going to lie, or be honest. I mean, who wants to find out they were an asshole in their previous life, even if they died saving someone's life?
Robert A. Howard, Tangents Reviews
http://www.tangents.us

Sofox

Quote from: Tangent on January 03, 2011, 02:33:27 PMI mean, who wants to find out they were an asshole in their previous life

People who are assholes in their current life?

Tangent

Rafe

Quote from: Sofox on January 03, 2011, 04:01:47 PM
Quote from: Tangent on January 03, 2011, 02:33:27 PMI mean, who wants to find out they were an asshole in their previous life

For that matter, how is he going to react if Abel mentions his thoughts about Xander?

"Wait... What?  I was digging on some dude?"
Rafe

Starcat5

Quote from: Rafe on January 03, 2011, 05:47:29 PM
Quote from: Sofox on January 03, 2011, 04:01:47 PM
For that matter, how is he going to react if Abel mentions his thoughts about Xander?

"Wait... What?  I was digging on some dude?"
Considering that he has hinted that he is STILL gay, he might extend that line of dialog with "Was he hot?"
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Rafe

Y'know - we could get a great argument going here:

If Undead Devin is straight, does that mean his soul isn't the original Devin's soul? 
Rafe

lilpuppy23

Quote from: Rafe on January 03, 2011, 06:41:49 PM
Y'know - we could get a great argument going here:

If Undead Devin is straight, does that mean his soul isn't the original Devin's soul? 

That depends. Does one's soul determine one's orientation? Also, define what a soul is.

It will be a  very complicated matter :B

Draken

All this soul talk and no one seems to point out that Jy is barely seen over his table.  Just a tuft of hair (or ear), an eyeball, and that's it.  Poor guy.  Shorter than most of his own furniture.

Also, does anyone else expect the wince cellar to be freakishly over tecked?  Mechanical arms that deliver the bottles as directed, or better, before you say anything because they automatically calculate the vintage needed for the situation?
"TEETH!  TEETH!  He's a biter!!!"
Go get'em, Jy!

Pancakes.  The evilest food thing since THOSE brownies.  You know the ones.

Currently a complete non-fan of Mab.  Say what you will, I will forever consider her the Big Bad >.>

Rafe

Quote from: Draken on January 03, 2011, 07:45:12 PM... wince cellar...

Forget everything else.  I want to know more about this "wince cellar".
Rafe

Turnsky

Quote from: Rafe on January 03, 2011, 08:01:35 PM
Quote from: Draken on January 03, 2011, 07:45:12 PM... wince cellar...

Forget everything else.  I want to know more about this "wince cellar".

it's where puns are stored to reach maturation.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

joshofspam

Devon's hair flowing in the wind.

Brother and sister love.

Stories that need to be told with a good shot of liquor in ones system.

Yep! Let's ride this awkward right into the sunset. Sssssss! >:3

I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

That_wolf

Wait, Devin was gay? When did this happen?

Edit, to reply to below:
I mean, when was it decided/said Devin is/was gay?
Abel needs a hug...

Anker Steadfast

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Naldru

When Xander raised the possibility in strip 40 of Abel's story, Devin denied very emphatically that he was gay.  However, when Devin stated that Xander was gay in strip 41, Xander didn't deny it.

Devin stated his orientation most clearly at the bottom of strip 54.

Edit:

I wasn't referring to the last statement as concerning his sexual orientation.  It was a reference to his psychological orientation.  (I guess I just didn't have an impure enough mind to see the alternative interpretation.)
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

That_wolf

While the first two links make sence, stating that he is an asshole doesn't realy prove Devin is gay.
Abel needs a hug...

A.J.

Crowning Achievements in DMFA History #1: Panel 3 of comic #102; #2: Panel 7 of comic #1334

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: That_wolf on January 04, 2011, 07:22:43 PM
While the first two links make sence, stating that he is an asshole doesn't realy prove Devin is gay.

You mean you don't think Ol' Dev is a bottom?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

That_wolf

Abel needs a hug...

Tangent

Actually, there is this comic here, with Devin's last thought: oh Xander... I'm sorry I never told you that....