Captain

The string is your friend.

note: this thread is confusing.
If you want to visit me:
Download this: http://shoddybattle.com/downloads
then go to Captain's Modded Server and look for captaiN

RandomMetaphysics

Inumo

Methinks 'twas but a joke, considering thread is another name for string.

So, 100% natural items would probably be as hard to morph as maybe 0-15% natural, considering his expression with the difficulty?

Arroyo Milori

Quote from: Captain on December 05, 2010, 01:42:44 AM

Its confusing cause its made of Jyrras' hair. : P

But still that's a rather interesting snippet of information Jyrras explained.

rabid_fox

Oh dear.

AmberCross

Quote from: Arroyo Milori on December 05, 2010, 02:36:08 AM

Boy, you sure cut right to the point don't you?

Anyway, wondering how long it will take for this info to be incorperated into numerous other spinoff comics, stories, RPs, etc.

blindguy

Quote from: AmberCross on December 05, 2010, 02:52:28 AM

Anyway, wondering how long it will take for this info to be incorperated into numerous other spinoff comics, stories, RPs, etc.

Never actually commented in forums before but i have to say, this particular string of comments has me in stitches.

Nino

Hmmm, so... something that's never been exposed to magic might need a large initial amount of magic to become malleable to it, but the more magic that's applied after the initial amount starts to slowly increases the resistance.

This makes me think of a law of physics but I can't think which. Either way, it's tough to wrap my head around the idea without an explanation of why magic behaves in such a manner here.

I almost wonder if a 100% natural item is completely resistant to magical interference, but then I'd think that magic wouldn't have an effect on anything since every object ostensibly started out as 100% natural at least at one point in time.

Anker Steadfast

Sort of like the last 10% of a project, often takes 90% of the work.

But it also sounds a bit like basic thermodynamic.

A very cold metal object absorbs a lot of heat before it becomes mallable.
And a very warm metal object requires high degrees of heat to make it any hotter.

Basically, if you have a metal bar that is already 100 degree celcius warm, you will still need roughly the same fuel to make it hot enough to make it mallable as you would a metal bar that is very cold. Though the cold bar may take a little longer to warm up, it's not going to make a big change in fuel consumption.

It's not a perfect fit, but it's somewhat similar at least.

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

AmberCross

Quote from: blindguy on December 05, 2010, 03:20:39 AM
Quote from: AmberCross on December 05, 2010, 02:52:28 AM

Never actually commented in forums before but i have to say, this particular string of comments has me in stitches.
Sew this is your first post ever? Cool to know I inspired it ^.^

Also in DMFA-land, people can make things out of magic too. But for the most part I imagine that this may refer to magic manipulation such as keeping a blade at a certain temperature when you forge it. It seems to be the direct type magic that has trouble like turning it into something else than say bending them out of shape.

Tapewolf

Quote from: blindguy on December 05, 2010, 03:20:39 AM

Welcome aboard, have fun, don't forget to read the rules and stuff  :3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Kipiru

Does this mean you can make dental floss out of nosehairs, cause that would be a new level of gross  :U

Kittastrophe

I wonder how much magic was in Jyrras' hair. : P

Jasonrevall

The same way one man's trash is another man's treasure, something you consider weird may not be from another man's POV.

Quote from: rabid_fox on December 05, 2010, 02:50:08 AM

Abel is flipping adorable lately.

I must agree, he has been rather adorable since he came to Jy-jy's.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Jasonrevall on December 05, 2010, 10:22:01 AM
The same way one man's trash is another man's treasure, something you consider weird may not be from another man's POV.

Quote from: rabid_fox on December 05, 2010, 02:50:08 AM

Abel is flipping adorable lately.

I must agree, he has been rather adorable since he came to Jy-jy's.

Abel does look cute in this update!  And he's STILL learning about the outside world, and he's STILL efficient with things.

AmberCross

Actually to be honest, I am finding Jyras to be far more adorable, both currently and with relation to previous looks. His hair, his glasses, and his clothes were all a carefully crafted image to be less adorable and now he doesn't have any of the above and he just looks so darned cute.

Angel

Before I say anything else, I just want to say that Jyrras's eyes are really cute.

As for Abel's use of hair, I think it's really creative and efficient as well. Though I would have thought he'd be slightly more interested in playing with it than spooling it. I mean, it smells like a rodent and it's string. Come on.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

icarus

does that mean that magic-resistant items like dan's robe are made out of natural fibres? makes you wonder.

i really like how amber's applying different facial structures to all the characters now, it really brings out the different facets of their personalities. abel seems the 'prettyboy' he was intended to be now vs dan's broski build.

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that

CoyoteCaliente

Heeeeey Icarus. Didn't know you were on here.

And I agree. Everyone's shape is evening out and becoming more like their character., and the expressions are becoming easier to read.
I'm just a little bit... Aiene, Geisteskrank, Insano, Elnebajos, Vansinnig, Fou, Atamagaokashii, Gek, Dolzinnig, Hullu, Gila, Meschuge, Nebun, Dement... INSANE.

And do not tell your daddy how to ----.

Scrap Fish

Quote from: Kittastrophe on December 05, 2010, 10:06:29 AM
I wonder how much magic was in Jyrras' hair. : P
That's exactly what I was wondering... If 100% natural is hard to work with, then how could Abel form all the hairs into a continuous strand? (This is assuming he didn't, like, tie every single hair together.) My assumption is that beings can pick up magicality like a background radiation... (This wouldn't be as big a deal with creatures, as they are inherently magical.) With Jyrras constantly working with equipment that may be more or less magical, or uses highly concentrated magic, it's quite possible he has absorbed a decent amount of magical energy.
Makes me wonder, is there a creature that is inherrently anti-magical? That has a magic value of absolute zero? Would mean that it basically that they turn into a magical black hole...
*speculation*

Just spreading the confusion around. There's enough for everybody!

icarus

i log on ocassionally.

jy's hair may be slightly magical. his family is for the most part 'realisticly' coloured which i believe amber said is a sign that less magic has bleed into the lines. the most erratic colours his siblings have are reds and yellows, and there are red heads and blondes naturally soooo

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that

lilpuppy23

I wonder where Abel got the spool from?

They're made of wood, and I don't know if Jyrras has random wood lying around, though the more modern ones are made of compressed paper pulp so maybe Abel just used paper?

Shachza

A part of it could also be the purity.  I could see Jyrras having paperclips with a very high purity of aluminum.  Hair however, is composed of a lot of different things.
            <-- #1 that is!

Infranscia

My thought on how natural things are before forged: Just because something isn't made of magic, doesn't mean that something hasn't been exposed to magic, and thus slightly imbued with it.  Also, this comic suggests that Creatures and Beings may have more-or-less been relying on magic to make things from raw materials, thus leaving residues behind after construction.  Probably what Matilda was referring to in comic 644.

Hmm... Maybe this is also why Abel's wards didn't work?  Maybe most of Jyrrus house is made of natural materials?

Scrap Fish: This Creature is completely anti-magic in one of its forms.  :mowwink

Lilpuppy23: Maybe Abel made the spool from a piece of the boxes and chests that Jyrrus leaves around?  Or something similar?
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

Tapewolf

Is it just me, or does Abel's art upgrade make him look younger?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Nikki

...String?

Really?

I...I don't even...Wow, here I was...actually...thinking Abel might weave it into some sort of mini-basket  :U

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Drayco84

Quote from: Shachza on December 05, 2010, 03:26:49 PM
A part of it could also be the purity.  I could see Jyrras having paperclips with a very high purity of aluminum.  Hair however, is composed of a lot of different things.
IIRC, it's mostly keratin, a type of protein. And second, most paperclips are made of steel.

Third... I have this mental image of Abel wearing a certain outfit, clapping his hands together, and shouting TRANSMUTE...

joshofspam

Well tech made by Jy might have quite a bit of effect in use against races that use magic.

Wonder if 100 Percent would allow you to use armor that would let you go toe too toe with a Dragon or a Fey?

I can't help but think we've just been told something important. Will Jyrras become Iron Rat? :U
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

SomeUnregPunk

If you can make string from the fur of these creatures then what would happen if you shaved a Mow?

We got rabbit wool made from German angoras. So... if you took a bunch of mows and shaved them all... would you get purple string and naked kirby or would you find it was made of nothing other than fur, wings and a tonque.