07/27/2010 [PF #127] - It's amazing what you can find in junk...

Started by hapless, July 27, 2010, 03:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hapless

... for example, an occupied Black Soul Gem.

Are Jakob's wings in the next-to-last panel slightly "tentacling" out of anger, or are they just that messy? ;)

[Actually it's 126 127 -TW]
Chaosnet device not responding - check breaker on the Unibus

Tapewolf

Quote from: hapless on July 27, 2010, 03:38:30 PM
Are Jakob's wings in the next-to-last panel slightly "tentacling" out of anger, or are they just that messy? ;)

They're just messy.

Fun fact: the stationary cupboard was such a nightmare I did it last of all because I kept putting it off.
In the end I took a photo of our actual stationary cupboard at work and traced it.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

joshofspam

Leaving a soul in a jar has got to be nerve racking.

Does a soul in a crystal see or hear the outside world without assistance?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Boy, lost souls are just lying around, huh? I sense material for an "Alternative interpretation" fic :P
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Madmann135

The thought of digging through someone's skull for a bullet is chilling.
The question I have now is who is in the soul gem?  It could be the demon that tried to kill Kristofer Ausmann and re-killed Joshua Oswald.  OR it could be the mayor, who by a stroke of twisted luck was sealed away in Dorcan Ja'Fell gem... or someone completely new.
I did not read the manuscript for the comic... I probably should do that.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Madmann135 on July 27, 2010, 06:47:56 PM
The question I have now is who is in the soul gem?  It could be the demon that tried to kill Kristofer Ausmann and re-killed Joshua Oswald.  OR it could be the mayor, who by a stroke of twisted luck was sealed away in Dorcan Ja'Fell gem... or someone completely new.

Someone completely new, in a sense.  Truth be told I seriously considered removing this because it didn't gel with the story very nicely.  But I've decided to try and follow the original faithfully, so here it is.

EDIT:

Quote from: joshofspam on July 27, 2010, 06:37:14 PM
Leaving a soul in a jar has got to be nerve racking.
Does a soul in a crystal see or hear the outside world without assistance?

This one has been dead a long time.  The gem was designed for long-term storage so the soul perceives time more slowly to prevent them going mad.

llearch n'n'daCorna

If you use a larger caliber, it'll go right through. Either that or use jacketed, either full metal jacket or a magical jacket, although if your caliber is too small, it'll not have enough force.

... your average .38 is close to being able to go through at close range, and that's soft. So it doesn't take much to turn a head into mush, really...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Inumo

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 27, 2010, 07:52:12 PM

If you use a larger caliber, it'll go right through. Either that or use jacketed, either full metal jacket or a magical jacket, although if your caliber is too small, it'll not have enough force.

... your average .38 is close to being able to go through at close range, and that's soft. So it doesn't take much to turn a head into mush, really...

Considering that the bullet was intact after going through the guys head, best guess is it was either magically jacketed to preserve shape, or the enchanted bullet was FMJ'd and had the jacket peeled off after the shot.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Indeed. Which means it's less a matter of digging through the guy's melon, and more a matter of picking it out of the wall and washing it off...

Er... apologies if that upsets anyone's lunch.

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Inumo on July 27, 2010, 11:32:40 PM
Considering that the bullet was intact after going through the guys head, best guess is it was either magically jacketed to preserve shape, or the enchanted bullet was FMJ'd and had the jacket peeled off after the shot.
I was actually trying to draw the bullet deformed, but Tape straightened it out. I didn't point it out to him for some reason, though. :B

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on July 28, 2010, 05:34:43 AM
I was actually trying to draw the bullet deformed, but Tape straightened it out. I didn't point it out to him for some reason, though. :B

I figured it would be made of something which didn't deform easily in order to preserve the integrity of the lattice.

Turnsky

that's a heck of an efficient way, really.

and more efficient methods of giving them a body... granted i still prefer mine and it's fun and glorious ways of drawing  :3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Lore

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna begin_of_the_skype_highlighting     end_of_the_skype_highlighting on July 27, 2010, 07:52:12 PM

I just assumed it was a .22. The bullet itself is the right size, and I think a .22 would be able to pierce the front of the skull at that range, but arguably not the back.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Spooks on July 28, 2010, 10:19:54 AM
I think a .22 would be able to pierce the front of the skull at that range, but arguably not the back.

I thought you only shot squirrels  :B

Gabi

It seems a bit irresponsible to leave a soul in a jar and then forget about it. It's not something replaceable like a pencil or an umbrella.

Anyway, if you put a crazy individual's soul in a gem, can s/he still go mad? Would s/he develop a different form of insanity? I imagine it wouldn't be nice in any case.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on July 28, 2010, 10:43:53 AM
It seems a bit irresponsible to leave a soul in a jar and then forget about it. It's not something replaceable like a pencil or an umbrella.

It was either that or cameo their skeleton  >:3

QuoteAnyway, if you put a crazy individual's soul in a gem, can s/he still go mad? Would s/he develop a different form of insanity? I imagine it wouldn't be nice in any case.
Probably depends on the existing insanity.

Pagan

After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 28, 2010, 10:42:16 AM
Quote from: Spooks on July 28, 2010, 10:19:54 AM
I think a .22 would be able to pierce the front of the skull at that range, but arguably not the back.

I thought you only shot squirrels  :B

she does it execution style, though.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Madmann135

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 28, 2010, 05:41:11 AM

I figured it would be made of something which didn't deform easily in order to preserve the integrity of the lattice.

At modern projectile speeds (using smokeless powder) and after impact virtually all bullets change.  Silver bullets deform, steel bullets deform, I have not seen what depleted uranium and tungsten bullets do but I know they won't be reload-able.  Side note tungsten powder in copper jacket bullets... they explode upon impact within the first few inches, cost under 2 bucks just for the bullet alone.  Some deformity would have been better than none.

VAE

Quote from: Madmann135 on July 29, 2010, 11:53:04 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on July 28, 2010, 05:41:11 AM

At modern projectile speeds (using smokeless powder) and after impact virtually all bullets change.  Silver bullets deform, steel bullets deform, I have not seen what depleted uranium and tungsten bullets do but I know they won't be reload-able.  Side note tungsten powder in copper jacket bullets... they explode upon impact within the first few inches, cost under 2 bucks just for the bullet alone.  Some deformity would have been better than none.

My guess is on deforms - it depends on hardness ,impact force, how much it softens by heating when flying through air....
Dum-dum bullets are even better - they are cut somewhat so upon entering body they split into parts which travel with some sideways velocity... shoot that anywhere in the torso and the person is pretty dead. It's the kind of stuff organized crime members shoot at each other in my parts

EDIT: i forgot to make my point - tungsten and uranium aren't IIRC harder than steel but are way more dense... so my bet is on Deforms ...
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Tapewolf

At modern projectile speeds (using smokeless powder) and after impact virtually all bullets change.  Silver bullets deform, steel bullets deform, I have not seen what depleted uranium and tungsten bullets do but I know they won't be reload-able.  Side note tungsten powder in copper jacket bullets... they explode upon impact within the first few inches, cost under 2 bucks just for the bullet alone.

Note that Furrae isn't constrained to the sort of materials we have here.  Heck, the bullet already had one enchantment on it.  If damaging the structure of the crystal is going to disrupt the soul-cage, you'd add another one to stop it from deforming.

Some deformity would have been better than none.

EDIT:

Removed... because I'm going to cover this in a Questions from the Readers :P

Tapewolf

Gabi

Angry Eph is funny.
*Looks at panel 10.*
Aaaah! It's the scary clone again! *Runs.*
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Tapewolf

With apologies to those who saw the earlier version, I decided after publishing that Jakob's self-image was insufficiently odd and have now re-updated the comic.  People who have already seen it may need to force a refresh to see the new version.

Madmann135

Quote from: danman on July 29, 2010, 12:04:51 PM
EDIT: i forgot to make my point - tungsten and uranium aren't IIRC harder than steel but are way more dense... so my bet is on Deforms ...

I know that Tungsten is so hard it is brittle, Depleted uranium is something I have not read much about.

VAE

Quote from: Madmann135 on August 01, 2010, 08:54:01 PM
Quote from: danman on July 29, 2010, 12:04:51 PM

I know that Tungsten is so hard it is brittle, Depleted uranium is something I have not read much about.
Hmm, i checked it in a materials handbook,  you are sort of right which is embarrassing *partial facepalm* ... Tungsten is generally harder, though the normal range overlaps with steels on quite a large section
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

llearch n'n'daCorna

Personally, based on my wide and varied experience[1], I would have thought tungsten-steel alloy, molybdenum alloys, or titanium alloys to be more interesting.

Depleted uranium would keep going, because it meets the heavy point, but is fairly soft, as these things go. It's just very very heavy. Or so I gather.

[1] In other words, I read it in a book or saw it in a movie once...

SpottedKitty

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 02, 2010, 06:14:55 AM

Depleted uranium would keep going, because it meets the heavy point, but is fairly soft, as these things go. It's just very very heavy. Or so I gather.

Yes, it is. A big enough chunk to [classified] — about [classified] kilos — is amazingly small. Round about [classified]-sized.
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Yes, spots. And it's easy enough to calculate that from your average density and mass values in the periodic table, too...

Corgatha Taldorthar

But....... Density is easily  changed by altering temperature.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.