24/05/2010 [AS2#103] - Uh.....

Started by llearch n'n'daCorna, May 24, 2010, 12:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: Triggsy on May 25, 2010, 06:37:25 AM
You people going on with this 'OMG HORRIFIED' business are..well, suffice to say what I'd like to say isn't exactly flattering. It's a freaking cartoon, and even in the scope of the cartoon it's a minor injury (in the grand scheme of what Destania is capable of), and not entirely unfixable. If anything, Abel's lucky he got away with only that. From the sounds of things they're not exactly the greatest of chums.

God that feels good. I had to register just to tell you guys off :|

Anyway, it's nice to see Amber taking a swing at something darker for a change of pace. I know Abel's Story is more serious, but this is taking it a bit more in that direction, which is no bad thing. Well done.

Addendum: Those who didn't foresee an impending delivery of pain to Abel need a lesson in foreshadowing...

Well, yes We forget that it is a story and Abel's life has never been much peaches and cream since he was send to school. or somewhat around there. We all have and/or encounter pain, it is what we do with that pain is what makes us, ah us.  Dee is dishing out her pain, which never seem to go down.  Abel hordes his pain into a fortress, yet it doesn't seem stop people from getting to him.

But this is a story, and it has drama, it reflect life, a hard life.  We are upset because it show the injustices we ourselves see and experience in RL.   Well, if you're upset Do something about your corner of world. 

PBH

Tapewolf

God that feels good. I had to register just to tell you guys off :|

Well, make sure you read the rules, okay?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Triggsy

As far as the rules go, there's nothing wrong (so far as I can see) with a gentle double-yoo tee eff at the overblown reactions. I mean, come on. She teaches torture! She's obviously a sadistic little woman. It's not like this one was out of left field.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Triggsy on May 25, 2010, 07:13:20 AM
As far as the rules go, there's nothing wrong (so far as I can see) with a gentle double-yoo tee eff at the overblown reactions.
Well, strictly it was more because you've just joined than because of your post.  I see it as a preventative measure - you have no idea how many people don't read them when they sign up.

Triggsy

True. But I've been around long enough to know the general rules and boundaries of most forums.

Well, that and I used to have an account here. My memory for passwords/names from years ago isn't good though. Dsargf.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Triggsy on May 25, 2010, 07:43:21 AM
True. But I've been around long enough to know the general rules and boundaries of most forums.
Okay, that's cool.
Now, as for your earlier comment, I think you may be conflating two separate issues.  As you say, it's pretty obvious that taunting Destania was a stupid thing to do and that she'd do something pretty nasty if someone annoyed her.  Again, as you say, she teaches murder and torture and has been doing so for the best part of 7000 years.

However, it's quite possible to see something coming and still be grossed out when it actually happens.  That and Amber has been fairly careful about keeping the level of gore down through careful composition and styling, e.g. Hennya, Devin and so forth.

Triggsy

While that is true, Hennya's death, though stylized, is still more confronting imho. On the scale of things, being turned into sushi is a bit more "..." than a claw through the jaw (oh rhymes, you are so funny). Besides art direction (And Dee's morbid advice versus Good Ol' Dad's nonchalant handwaving of the act) we're talking a fairly similar level here, and I don't remember as much fanfare around the circumstances of Hennya's demise.

I understand it all comes down to personal opinion/reaction (and please don't mistake my abrasiveness for ignorance, I do try to be open minded. I'm just not good at it) but it seems rather odd for such a, well, tame scene. Despite a bit of blood and Dee's "I am evil, please die quietly" routine, it's not that much out of the norm for AS.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Triggsy on May 25, 2010, 08:21:10 AM
I understand it all comes down to personal opinion/reaction (and please don't mistake my abrasiveness for arrogance, I do try to be open minded. I'm just not good at it) but it seems rather odd for such a, well, tame scene. Despite a bit of blood and Dee's "I am evil, please die quietly" routine, it's not that much out of the norm for AS.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I think this particular scene touched a nerve, so to speak.  Nothing else in the comic has been able to squick me in quite the same way, and there have been a lot of horrible things.

Triggsy

Yes, I probably should clarify that it's not so much the 'this is terrible' that irked me, it's that everyone is apparently stunned. I don't see how this isn't something that's both unforeseen and out of the ordinary for Dee (or at least SAIA-flavour Dee). She's been slamming him into walls and lecturing him on her intense hatred of him for a good 6-8 pages, it wasn't out of the blue.  :U

Either way, Abel's going to need some icecream :3

Drayco84

Quote from: Technoire on May 25, 2010, 01:18:31 AM
I will pose the idea though: If a Pain succubus gets off on pain, is in ALL pain? Does that in turn make her a masochist?
No, it makes her a sadist. Masochists enjoy receiving pain. Sadists like dishing it out and/or watching it get inflicted on others.

Quote from: Triggsy on May 25, 2010, 07:13:20 AM
As far as the rules go, there's nothing wrong (so far as I can see) with a gentle double-yoo tee eff at the overblown reactions. I mean, come on. She teaches torture! She's obviously a sadistic little woman. It's not like this one was out of left field.
Yes, but like I've stated previously, the first time the longer readers "saw" Destania was as a loving, caring, nurturing mother. This is a completely different side of her and while it makes sense in context and we were warned, some of us didn't expect the level of depravity she has. That, and in cubi terms, Abel is still pretty much just a kid at this point.

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 25, 2010, 08:47:18 AM

I can't speak for anyone else, but I think this particular scene touched a nerve, so to speak.  Nothing else in the comic has been able to squick me in quite the same way, and there have been a lot of horrible things.

It is the out of order timeline, A seemly good character from DMFA showing her dark side. "After" we thought we could trust her.  But this is a pre-sequel, which is why I hate the Clone war series of "Star Wars."  I couldn't root for Anika because I knew he would be Vader by the end.   Well, this is reverse, Dee is pure ebil here, and she maybe "better" in DMFA.  BUT wait until she hears about Pyroduck and Alexsi.  She maybe just as Ebil in the present, too.

PBH

Triggsy

Quote from: Drayco84 on May 25, 2010, 09:08:37 AM
Yes, but like I've stated previously, the first time the longer readers "saw" Destania was as a loving, caring, nurturing mother. This is a completely different side of her and while it makes sense in context and we were warned, some of us didn't expect the level of depravity she has. That, and in cubi terms, Abel is still pretty much just a kid at this point.

However we have been told in both DMFA and (if I remember correctly) earlier in AS that Dee's one to be feared, Plus one must keep in mind this is pre-Dan, pre-Edward, and at SAIA. And I still don't see Abel as a kid (you are correct, I just don't picture it myself).

I dunno, maybe my brain just works differently to everyone else.

Or maybe I'm still enjoying AS #101  >:3

VAE

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on May 25, 2010, 09:15:04 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on May 25, 2010, 08:47:18 AM

It is the out of order timeline, A seemly good character from DMFA showing her dark side. "After" we thought we could trust her.  But this is a pre-sequel, which is why I hate the Clone war series of "Star Wars."  I couldn't root for Anika because I knew he would be Vader by the end.   Well, this is reverse, Dee is pure ebil here, and she maybe "better" in DMFA.  BUT wait until she hears about Pyroduck and Alexsi.  She maybe just as Ebil in the present, too.

PBH

Well, good always depends on for who.
She is an admired teacher to many cubi, trusted employee to Fa'lina, loving wife to Edward, and good mother to Dan and Alexsi (stepmother)
And an useful and hot employee of Biggs
On the same time she is hated by dragons, disliked by Abel , feared by Aniz, and well, nothing by her "teaching aids" since they most likely got soulsucked.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Angel

...............O______________________________O

Well, I give up. How did this woman - this pain-obsessed, student-mauling, cold and heartless woman...how could she become a loving, caring, well-adjusted mother and wife? How did she go from this:

QuoteYou're going to live a long...long...time. And everyone around you will die. Because that is what you do. It is what you are. It is your destiny to die one day...alone and unloved.

to this:

Quote...What's wrong Dan? You look so sad. Oh I know. First day out and couldn't find a single adventure huh? Don't worry sugar. I'm sure you will find one soon enough.

At first, I thought I had an idea of how the transition was possible, but this........geez.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Robbychu

Addendum: Those who didn't foresee an impending delivery of pain to Abel need a lesson in foreshadowing...

I was expecting something more along the lines of broken bones and the like, not shoving a claw into his mouth via his lower jaw. It's nauseating to think about.

I never really like Dee even before this, though. It just sets me further in my "Why do you people like her?" mindset.
THIS POST WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY ALL CAPS. :)

Rheeeeeeeee...

Corgatha Taldorthar

I'm just wondering if the delivery method was influenced by that story in the papers a few days ago, about the bullfighter who got a horn shoved through his lower jaw, into his mouth, and survived.  DO NOT CLICK THIS IF YOU FIND SUCH THINGS DISTURBING. It's probably safe for work, but safe for sanity........
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

GabrielsThoughts

It would be funny if this was the moment Devon's sparkling personality took over Abel... that is assuming Abel's mind downloaded a copy of it and that Devin was the type to seek retribution/justice. But I'm not going to hold my breath for that  particular outcome. I actually am interested in the idea of Aniz/Cid haviing a multiple personality as well but that's only because I find the three MPD fanfiction stories that I've read fascinating. And then, there's the Anime Demon Eye's Kyo, and the United States of Tara that handled it brilliantly.

Granted, it's one of those oddball ideas that has probably been kicked around before. I rarely say anything because that is the quickest way to have the author alter the flow of the story if you are even close to right.  personally, I would have thought Abel would have developed some coping mechanism. And yes,  know Falina stripped him of his emotions with magic for x number of years, but he would have still had to deal with bullies one way or another. Especially, since it is apparent that Aniz leaves disaster in his wake wherever he goes. I wouldn't be surprised if Aniz has cheesed off a good percentage of the Cubi population.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Alondro

If you watch "Bleach" you see more blood in one episode than in this entire comic.

Heck, you see more blood from one character than an entire cast could physically produce!    :giggle
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Tapewolf

Quote from: Alondro on May 25, 2010, 12:00:28 PM
If you watch "Bleach" you see more blood in one episode than in this entire comic.
Heck, you see more blood from one character than an entire cast could physically produce!    :giggle

Yeah, that cracks the suspension of disbelief, though, which helps.

Amber Williams

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on May 25, 2010, 11:49:25 AM
Granted, it's one of those oddball ideas that has probably been kicked around before. I rarely say anything because that is the quickest way to have the author alter the flow of the story if you are even close to right.

Then you should be happy to know that I can say with 100% certaintity that I would never under any circumstance alter the storyline due to anything you would ever say. :3

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: Amber Williams on May 25, 2010, 12:31:35 PM
Granted, it's one of those oddball ideas that has probably been kicked around before. I rarely say anything because that is the quickest way to have the author alter the flow of the story if you are even close to right.

Then you should be happy to know that I can say with 100% certaintity that I would never under any circumstance alter the storyline due to anything you would ever say. :3

AND never hint that anyone is even close,unless it is it is some minor detail that the forumites are picking at like an old meat bone and going to blows over.....  :hug

That is why we love you
PBH

Congo Jack

It would be funny if this was the moment Devon's sparkling personality took over Abel... that is assuming Abel's mind downloaded a copy of it and that Devin was the type to seek retribution/justice.
He could call her some VERY nasty things, though, but can't see how it helps, because body is still just Abel's.  :mowmeep

I feel sorry for Abel now, because I myself hate the taste of blood. Abel, the haemophobiac, now having a mouthfull of it and it's going and going, the taste just lasting and lasting. Blargh, looks like a torture specifically disained for Abel.

About Dee's actions, well, that still support my opinion that SAIA is a brain-rotter place that breed immaturity. Destania matured a lot since she left it. (Real Life does that to people sometimes. And no matter how many thousand years you are, acting on a whim is not mature.)

VAE

Quote from: Congo Jack on May 25, 2010, 02:02:23 PM
It would be funny if this was the moment Devon's sparkling personality took over Abel... that is assuming Abel's mind downloaded a copy of it and that Devin was the type to seek retribution/justice.
He could call her some VERY nasty things, though, but can't see how it helps, because body is still just Abel's.  :mowmeep

I feel sorry for Abel now, because I myself hate the taste of blood. Abel, the haemophobiac, now having a mouthfull of it and it's going and going, the taste just lasting and lasting. Blargh, looks like a torture specifically disained for Abel.

About Dee's actions, well, that still support my opinion that SAIA is a brain-rotter place that breed immaturity. Destania matured a lot since she left it. (Real Life does that to people sometimes. And no matter how many thousand years you are, acting on a whim is not mature.)
Well, you are in SAIA to hone your skills, not to mature (because let's face it, otherwise you might not get the opportunity to)
Besides , Dee is not acting on a whim - the whole thing she did seems pretty calculated to me - caused no real injury but was both humiliating and torturous... Not to mention the monologue..

BTW , blood does not taste so bad (have plenty of experience since when working outside and getting a cut or some other wound, the best solution is to suck it out)
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Drayco84

YOU don't have a fear of blood. Stick something like a live spider in your mouth and let's see how well you handle THAT. (Or worse, wasps...)

VAE

Quote from: Drayco84 on May 25, 2010, 02:17:57 PM
YOU don't have a fear of blood. Stick something like a live spider in your mouth and let's see how well you handle THAT. (Or worse, wasps...)

Just how the hell did you guess that?  :erk
Saphroneth

Drayco84

Quote from: danman on May 25, 2010, 02:21:26 PM

Just how the hell did you guess that?

Incredibly lucky guess, actually. I have a similar fear of spiders, but just spiders. Other eight-legged creatures like lobsters, scorpions, etc. don't bother me. (Nearly as much. Scorpions are still poisonous, and lobsters don't phase me at all.)
Oh, and whatever you do, don't watch this movie. *Shudders.*

VAE

Quote from: Drayco84 on May 25, 2010, 02:30:12 PM
Quote from: danman on May 25, 2010, 02:21:26 PM

Just how the hell did you guess that?

Incredibly lucky guess, actually. I have a similar fear of spiders, but just spiders. Other eight-legged creatures like lobsters, scorpions, etc. don't bother me. (Nearly as much. Scorpions are still poisonous, and lobsters don't phase me at all.)
Oh, and whatever you do, don't watch this movie. *Shudders.*

Well , in my case ,i can will myself to catch the thing, or deal with it, (eg by repeating to myself it is afraid of me and i can kill it easily) especially if i have gloves or something, but one thing that gives me problem is sleeping in a room when stuff like that is present. That is another reason why i love cats!
As for other insects and arachnids, the only kind i am bothered by is reasonably size stuff with long skinny legs such as harvestmen  , Tipuloidea  and excessively large mosquitoes (i mean those that are about the size of a pen cover)
Saphroneth

Madd the Sane

personally, I would have thought Abel would have developed some coping mechanism. And yes,  know Falina stripped him of his emotions with magic for x number of years, but he would have still had to deal with bullies one way or another.
I thought his emotions were only stripped from him for a couple of minutes, at most :/
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

Mao

Stay on target thread... stay on target...  It's not like it's only 2 meters wide.

Amber Williams

Quote from: Madd the Sane on May 25, 2010, 02:47:29 PM
I thought his emotions were only stripped from him for a couple of minutes, at most :/
[/quote]

They were. It would be kind of a dumb move on Fa'Lina's part if she had Abel an emotionless void for 40+ years of his life. Kind of defeats the purpose of well...a lot.