A moment of silence for Thoth

Started by Darkmoon, April 22, 2010, 04:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkmoon

I think my iPod just died. Poor Thoth. It still thinks it works, and it can play whatever music is on it, but the music isn't transferring over right anymore, the music that does transfer is buggy, and most of the time iTunes is just spitting out errors whenever it tries to feed to the iPod.

Pity...
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Sunblink

I'm sorry for your loss. :<

I, too, lost someone very close to me: my purple iPod mini Vannie.

But then I got a bitchin' gold iPod mini and I didn't care nearly as much as I did before.

VAE

what's it with people naming their ipods??
mine luckily functions well so far
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

GabrielsThoughts

I name my computers...I have Lord Haxxor, Spanky, Slimecat, Gir....and I forgot what I named the new i-mac I got at this moment as I still haven't networked it yet.  

EDIT: since it's earth day you can exchange it at retailers like besbuy and get credit towards the purchase of a newer computer.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

VAE

mine generally go under planet names.
edit: to enlighten the system:
The main two machines are Saturn and Jupiter. Laptop is Merkur (small and fast) the sun workstation is Sol, while a crappy old laptop is Pluto....
I also use names from fallout - skynet, zax and so on.
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Damaris

We name all of our electronics.

Computers are greek gods and goddesses, ipods are egyptian, and I'm pretty sure that our external hard drives are norse.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Drayco84

I name my PCs POS, PIMA, etc. My Palm T/X is called Brick.

What? I hate Palms and until recently, I was a Windows user.

Liatai

*moment of silence for the fallen music player*

I name my electronics after mythological figures. My old laptop was named Prometheus. My current laptop is Muninn (to go with my tablet, Huginn), my faithful old scanner is Freya, and my Sansa... well, I've taken to calling it Equinox, because around the equinoxes, when Daylight Savings Time starts/ends, it decides to throw a fit about the time change and I need to format it before it will let me play anything. Then, it works fine. Temperamental little thing.

Sunblink

I normally don't name any electronic appliances of mine, I actually came up with the Vannie thing on the fly.

I named my limited edition yellow Pikachu DS Daffodil, though, and I affectionately named my PC "Piece of Shit". Never has there been a more apt name for any living or unliving thing.

VAE

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on April 22, 2010, 09:30:20 PM
] and I affectionately named my PC "Piece of Shit". Never has there been a more apt name for any living or unliving thing.

I agree fully  - there is not a person, animal or item i swore at so much than at the computer, and well, being of slavic origin, as well as the uncultured myself, i swear a lot. so it is something to say.
Those electronic beasts not only allow us to waste time in wonderful ways, but keep us from fainting by pumping up blood pressure on the way there!
Saphroneth

Cvstos

Always a sad, sad thing when an iPod dies. You never realize how much you use them until you lose them. And I mean that.

That having been said, when you replace it, remember to recycle the old one, don't just trash it. I think Apple gives you a discount on a new iPod when you bring an old one in (working or not) to recycle.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention. My laptop is named Andromeda, my PC is Nuclear Winter HD. (My previous PC was Nuclear Winter, and was on a much smaller monitor and a AGP Radeon 9800 until the fan died, and an AGP Radeon X700 Pro after it. My new PC uses a PCI Express 2.0 GeForce 8800 GT and a 21" HD-capable monitor with a Blu-ray drive. Hence the HD.)

My external HDD is named the Eureka Maru.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Alondro

I won an iPod Nano last spring in a Lab safety contest.

I have yet to take it out of its packaging. 

I know I just don't have the time to learn how to use it, or the money to download enough songs to make it worth my time... or the time I'd need to search for and download the songs I like.

I have lost all traces of motivation thanks to this hellish job.   :<

I shall name my iPod 'Unused'... and then sell it on Ebay as a collector's item in 50 years.  Mint condition!  $$$$$$ 
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

llearch n'n'daCorna

My eeepc is called handful. My laptop, pearl. My gateway, erwin.

Other than that, I've had a few other machines on this network. AJ, miranda, stef, pitr, and t'other one whose name I can't recall. Not to mention various others over the years...

I probably hve a list here somewhere.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

ooklah

My computer is named Karu, my laptop is Sora, and my phone, to my surprise, it named Terryn. And my wireless network is named Steam Powered. I lost my phone for a day and a half, I was in panic the entire time.
<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."

Mao

My computers are usually named after summons from the final fantasy series.  For example, the red laptop that I'm typing on as we speak is named Carbunkle (Carbuncle).  My desktop was Odin, but then got renamed after it's repair to Gilgamesh.  After it's second repair it got renamed to Odin's signature attack: Zantetsuken.  Before that I had Hades, Phoenix and Alexander.

Suwako

Yay, naming stuff! my laptop is named; Firefly, not after the series but because it gets hot. My old computer was named darkfermen, my current desktop is called Chasm ( I have not had much luck with the thing, hardware issues.. ) and the Ps3 is called zhuul,my old mp4 was called Virus and my new phone is called Service.

Drayco84

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 23, 2010, 04:43:30 AM
My eeepc is called handful. My laptop, pearl. My gateway, erwin.

Other than that, I've had a few other machines on this network. AJ, miranda, stef, pitr, and t'other one whose name I can't recall. Not to mention various others over the years...

I probably hve a list here somewhere.
Read much userfriendly.org?
Oh, and you're missing Greg.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Drayco84 on April 23, 2010, 02:42:54 PM
Read much userfriendly.org?
Oh, and you're missing Greg.

Sure, but I haven't had a machine that supported everything else. My old gateway used to be called artur, because it was a big heavy box... and a P3 chip inside.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Shachza

You people are so weird!  Naming your electronics...  Cars are clearly the only items that truly deserve names!  I've had three: Sal, Milaband, and the one who shall remain nameless just in case giving it a name causes the engine to explode because I was starting to get attached.  The third one is my current car and has cost me roughly $5000 in repairs over the past year, which is about its value.
            <-- #1 that is!

Drayco84

Quote from: Shachza on April 24, 2010, 12:37:17 AM
You people are so weird!  Naming your electronics...  Cars are clearly the only items that truly deserve names!  I've had three: Sal, Milaband, and the one who shall remain nameless just in case giving it a name causes the engine to explode because I was starting to get attached.  The third one is my current car and has cost me roughly $5000 in repairs over the past year, which is about its value.
Now, that's something I'm really going to disagree with... I have one car, and it's called "DAMN JUNK!". It's also a Ford, so I don't know if that has something to do with it...

Darkmoon

Quote from: Shachza on April 24, 2010, 12:37:17 AM

Most network admins name their computers so they're easy to find from another computer on said network.

Out computers are currently Demeter and Zeus (although Zeus had to be reformatted -- before he was Dionysus). Previous computers were Athena and Ares, I believe. Laptops of Mercury and Eros (not sure what Dam named her lappy -- probably something with a female name).

The portable hard drives are Perseus and Nyssa (Perseus replaced Odysseus).

The iPods are Zobek and Thoth, and I think Dam, again, names her's something female, like Bast or Isis. Were we to have Macs, they too would be Egyptian gods. In fact, probably at that point the iPods would change over to some Egyptian heroes or pharaohs.

And, were we to set up Linux machines, they would be Norse gods. The first files server will likely be Odin, although I'm partial to naming it Níðhöggr, the devourer of worlds.

Keleth

Just curious about your iPod Darkmoon, did you try to do any reloading of firmware or reset of the iPod in question? I know you're probably a smart enough fella to do it already, but the old iPod tech support tard in me has to ask anyways.

My computers usually get their names from usernames I take during LANS with some of my local pals. My laptop's name is OREALLY and my Desktop was named WTFBBQ until the format, before that it was OHSHIT and the format before that was NotRussianOvich, I forget what it's named now at the moment.

My dad's machine is named OfficeBox, and my sister's netbook is named SoPretty.

Help! I'm gay!

Darkmoon

I had to wipe it down because iTunes wouldn't recognize it, so it has a clean wipe with the latest firmware. I also hard rebooted it three times during the process.

Robbychu

Ouch. Man, sucks to lose your iPod... I can't think of any other device I use more often. Maybe my laptop...

I named my laptop Spaz, my Shuffle's name is miniPod and my DS is Nintendium. One of our older computers was named ERROR (yes, in allcaps). :U
THIS POST WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY ALL CAPS. :)

Rheeeeeeeee...

Keleth

Quote from: Darkmoon Firelyte on April 24, 2010, 04:35:40 PM
I had to wipe it down because iTunes wouldn't recognize it, so it has a clean wipe with the latest firmware. I also hard rebooted it three times during the process.

:< Sounds like you are correct good sir. It's bordering death.
Help! I'm gay!