03/25/10 [DMFA #1096] - Maybe it's a comic about Spiders!

Started by jeffh4, March 15, 2010, 12:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on March 15, 2010, 03:35:55 PM
Quote from: danman on March 15, 2010, 01:21:49 PM
But does it matter at all? I mean the only difference is that art/literature , unlike the other text and pictures also get discussed by shabbily dressed  pretentious people in small cafes and wineries.
This. Or pretentious people sitting behind a judge's table.

Ah, but that's the whole point of art.
To be able to rub someone's face in it because what you do is art, and not mere squiqqles.
Therefore, only the squiqqles that are accepted by the shabbily pretentious judgemental people, is real art, otherwise they can't lord themselves over others.

Kinda like when one warlord kills another and calls it Justice, just because he won.
And then, he will alter historical record to show he did all the important bits and make sure he is favored in all trade deals coming his way.
After that he will try to convince his people that not only is he the Lord of Justice, but also the Lord of Peace and if they want to keep things peaceful they should be quiet and accept his rule.

It's basically all about ego-tripping. :)

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Sunblink

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on March 15, 2010, 03:49:19 PM
It's basically all about ego-tripping. :)

Aw crap, I'm clearly looking for the wrong job then.

I'm giving up my aspirations of becoming a comic book writer/artist and joining the circus. :<

The sad thing is, I somehow get that's a more hospitable atmosphere than being thought of as not a real artist by a bunch of old men who generally think that they're well-educated in a career of subjectivity.

Psychedelic Mushroom

Quote from: MT Hazard on March 15, 2010, 01:17:30 PM
Perhaps he's decided to keep it (like demons sheep's bone wing) or perhaps being bitten in the same place twice means it taking longer to heal.

Quick fixation. Regina is a Gazell. Not a sheep.

Anyways!!! Has ANYONE noticed that abel woke up with his wings out?  :O

Because he made his wings reappear during the arguement with Pip. So if he woke up with his wings out. The following could've happened

1: He put them out before falling asleep

2: That dream made them open on their own.
-----------------------------

I dunno I just thought it was something important. >XD

Infranscia

Quote from: Riddel_Espoir on March 15, 2010, 01:15:01 PMUm... maybe it's a bit off-topic, but how come Fi's tail Pip-bite mark is still there? I mean, don't Warp-aci get to regenerate small injuries?

Perhaps he's decided to keep it (like demons sheep's bone wing) or perhaps being bitten in the same place twice means it taking longer to heal.

Nah.  Fi's cast page says that he's rather vain and is also annoyed that his tail is missing a chunk.  I dunno if Warp-Aci can heal naturally.  So far as I know, the only reason it healed in the first place is because he gained power, thus growing in size and such.  It stayed when he shrunk though... Maybe the piece grew back because he was growing anyways?  I don't know if it could be grown back with a owner-assisted shape-change - if so, seems it's not going to happen thank to lack of interest/knowledge on Dan's part.

If it can grow back naturally, well, only about a week has passed in the comic since he got the new bite.

I like how much Abel's tail is fluffed up.  Hehe.  We've seen it fluff, but I don't think it's fluffed that much before.  Pretty good indication of how much Fi startled him, if you ask me.

And is it just me, or does Fi's speech imply that Abel promised to read with him at some point?  Seems another bit of Abel's true nature is showing through. :3

And if you ask me, drawing, writing, and such is about sharing ideas and enjoyment with people.  :mowmeep  Sure, getting compliments is nice (also critique for the sake of improvement), but that's not the whole reason I like to draw and write.  I generally don't put something down if it's something I want to keep to myself.

As for what is art... Well, I guess we could say it's in the eye of the beholder.  :mowwink  Mileage varies, after all.
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Professor Fate on March 15, 2010, 04:00:41 PM

Because he made his wings reappear during the arguement with Pip. So if he woke up with his wings out. The following could've happened

http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_752.php

Abel seems to sleep with his wings out, like Dan does.  Why, I've no idea, since he seems petrified of being found as a 'Cubi and if he actually is unconscious it seems a bit risky.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

psilorder

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 15, 2010, 04:27:10 PM

Abel seems to sleep with his wings out, like Dan does.  Why, I've no idea, since he seems petrified of being found as a 'Cubi and if he actually is unconscious it seems a bit risky.

Well, there are other species with wings so i guess he might assume he'd be misstaken for one of those.

SpottedKitty

Quote from: jeffh4 on March 15, 2010, 01:27:53 PM

Remember what popped into Abel's head when Dan asked him to think of the scarriest thing he could imagine?  It was the Cubi instructor in the labcoat and monster-sized syringe.  I think his name is "Ink."

I'm not sure if that really counts, since at least 99.999% of SAIA residents, past and present, are scared of Ink. And yes, I'm including Kish'Ta's Clan in that number. (The only one I think we can all agree isn't, has to be Fa'lina. See the scene of the two of them watching Abel in the isolation room.)
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Tangent

Quote from: Brownie on March 15, 2010, 04:28:25 AM
Well, I guess I'm an elitist then.
Comics are not a legit form of literature.
This Critic begs to differ, and for five years now has treated webcomics as not only a legitimate form of literature, but one that deserves to be (and should be) treated as such. That definitely includes DMFA, which is one of my favorite webcomics.
Robert A. Howard, Tangents Reviews
http://www.tangents.us

D'ymkarra

Quote from: Tangent on March 15, 2010, 06:01:19 PM
This Critic begs to differ, and for five years now has treated webcomics as not only a legitimate form of literature, but one that deserves to be (and should be) treated as such. That definitely includes DMFA, which is one of my favorite webcomics.

I concur. I hold webcomics (or any story-arc comic in print) in the same regard as a graphic novel, or any other type of literature..It's merely a different, and imo, much more appealing way of presenting a story.

As for Fi's comic ( and it's resulting effect on Abel), I just chalk it up to bad timing.
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

Infranscia

Quote from: D'ymkarra on March 15, 2010, 06:30:10 PMI concur. I hold webcomics (or any story-arc comic in print) in the same regard as a graphic novel, or any other type of literature..It's merely a different, and imo, much more appealing way of presenting a story.

With me, I think it depends on the type of comic.  If it's random antics with little or no story, then probably not.  Though if it goes really in-depth and such, then I'm more likely to consider it literature, especially if it has quite a bit of text-wall.

Quote from: D'ymkarra on March 15, 2010, 06:30:10 PMAs for Fi's comic ( and it's resulting effect on Abel), I just chalk it up to bad timing.

...This might be me not considering things, but wasn't everyone, other than in jest?  It struck me as bad timing right away.  I mean, Abel didn't even look at Fi, or the comic book.
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

Psychedelic Mushroom

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 15, 2010, 04:27:10 PM
Anyways!!! Has ANYONE noticed that abel woke up with his wings out?  :O

Abel seems to sleep with his wings out, like Dan does.  Why, I've no idea, since he seems petrified of being found as a 'Cubi and if he actually is unconscious it seems a bit risky.

Ah, I see. I guess it makes it more comfortable,  or maybe just because his mind his relaxing he can't hold a shifted shape. But I doubt my own theory. :U

Turnsky

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on March 15, 2010, 03:51:50 PM
I'm giving up my aspirations of becoming a comic book writer/artist and joining the circus. :<

you're becoming a forum mod?  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Lucheek

Quote from: Tangent on March 15, 2010, 06:01:19 PM
I think my only argument as comics as literature is that they use pictures, so might more properly be described as a legitimate form of story-telling.  

The real argument of this isn't if comics are or are not a legitimate form of literature, but what "legitimate from of literature" means.

And also I find it funny we're talking about what constitues as literature and throwing around the slang-word legit.

Edit: I guess it's probaly in good measure to put what I consider my definition of what is art and what is  literature. Art/Literature is anything somebody likes to look at/read. :3

Perfect pacing and sweet irony... You're getting scared the living daylights out of you by a dream that couldn't actually have happened and the first thing you meet is naturally Fi. I think there are not many other beings which can be scary and un-scary at the same time like Fi can.

As has been said, the glow effect really takes the cake. Amber actually drew the shadows in the second panel with respect to the glow! That already made the warp acis appear so special back when Fi was introduced first and I'm glad to see, Amber is still using that effect.

And I still can't believe that was a real dream. Maybe in the next strip we'll hear footsteps of a very agitated Mab on the floor outside? :)

D'ymkarra

Quote from: Infranscia on March 15, 2010, 06:46:35 PM
With me, I think it depends on the type of comic.  If it's random antics with little or no story, then probably not.  Though if it goes really in-depth and such, then I'm more likely to consider it literature, especially if it has quite a bit of text-wall.

That's sort of why I mentioned specifically story-arc based comics (like dmfa, obviously) because the telling is equally split between both the art and the text, and there is a clear, linear flow to the story. Like you say, the random antics, and one-liner/ single panel gags don't count, no matter how standalone funny they might be.
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

GabrielsThoughts

I am in total agreement with Fi. Comics are a legitimate form of literature, like the chap-books of Colonial America or Dime Novels of old. Some good examples of comics as a serious medium are:

Maus by Art Speigelman

Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud

Fun Home by Alison Bechdel. 

I'm on the fence about recommending Scott Pilgrim, Booster Gold,  or Batman, in this category, as they are works of fiction.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: D'ymkarra on March 15, 2010, 10:24:57 PM
Quote from: Infranscia on March 15, 2010, 06:46:35 PMWith me, I think it depends on the type of comic.  If it's random antics with little or no story, then probably not.  Though if it goes really in-depth and such, then I'm more likely to consider it literature, especially if it has quite a bit of text-wall.
That's sort of why I mentioned specifically story-arc based comics (like dmfa, obviously) because the telling is equally split between both the art and the text, and there is a clear, linear flow to the story. Like you say, the random antics, and one-liner/ single panel gags don't count, no matter how standalone funny they might be.

I disagree - Anything that carries any sort of meaningful information or opinion across from one person to another and is persistent, is a media worthy of being literature. ie. a telephone call isn't  literature since it's gone once you end it, but a tape containing that phone call is.

As for one liners, they can contain profound insights and express even more.
Take a comic like Ted Dawsons Spooner, a lot of things in there to recognize in yourself.
Heck, they don't even have to have a lot of text in them or anything.
But they express both opinion and insights to anothers life and have resonance to your own.
That makes it literature in my eyes.

Literature is what you make of it, I say. :)

Turnsky

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on March 15, 2010, 11:51:42 PM
I am in total agreement with Fi. Comics are a legitimate form of literature, like the chap-books of Colonial America or Dime Novels of old. Some good examples of comics as a serious medium are:

Maus by Art Speigelman

Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud

Fun Home by Alison Bechdel. 

I'm on the fence about recommending Scott Pilgrim, Booster Gold,  or Batman, in this category, as they are works of fiction.

knowing Fi it could just as easily be Furrae's version of an "Archie" comic.  >:3

Tapewolf

I once read a short SF story about an alien invasion fleet who sent an advance force to Earth.  They came across a kid reading some kind of space-opera comic, who convinces them that the comic is a training manual.  The aliens panic and retreat, believing that they'd mis-categorised Earth's level of development.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 16, 2010, 05:05:53 AM
I once read a short SF story about an alien invasion fleet who sent an advance force to Earth.  They came across a kid reading some kind of space-opera comic, who convinces them that the comic is a training manual.  The aliens panic and retreat, believing that they'd mis-categorised Earth's level of development.

I think it was the author David Weber used something like that in a book of his, except it was a small scout team running afoul of a retired black operations marine - After a very hard fight, which they lost rather badly, they retreated and decided that humans was much too tough to fight, if an old retired human in the wild could fight them back that easily.

Turns out that when the government realized that they were coming, they sort of sheep herded them towards the old guy.
And the story ends with a CIA agent visiting the retired marine with "payment for extra services rendered".
Poor aliens, they never knew what hit 'em.

:D

Sunblink

Quote from: Turnsky on March 15, 2010, 07:51:10 PM

you're becoming a forum mod babysitter?  >:3

Fixed that for you. >:3

Gawd, babysitting in any shape or form would destroy me.

Mao

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on March 16, 2010, 10:32:48 AM
Quote from: Turnsky on March 15, 2010, 07:51:10 PM

you're becoming a forum mod babysitter janitor?  >:3

Fixed that for you. >:3

Gawd, babysitting in any shape or form would destroy me.

Fixed your fix.

Sunblink

Quote from: Mao Laoren on March 16, 2010, 10:44:02 AMFixed your fix.

Or a maid... :o

"No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again. Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit? I feel like the maid; I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!" - The Incredibles

I couldn't resist. XD

Paladin Sheppard

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on March 16, 2010, 11:30:41 AM

"No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again. Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit? I feel like the maid; I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!" - The Incredibles

I couldn't resist. XD

Keaton's quote for the win. I don't think we can post any more in this topic....

Turnsky

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on March 16, 2010, 11:30:41 AM

I couldn't resist. XD

Keating Wilco?  :U

GabrielsThoughts

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 16, 2010, 05:05:53 AM

I remember reading a story where the alien invasion force believed it was unwise to attack earth because one alien had encountered a five year old  kid that  had had telepathic powers. Ironically, the alien just assumed that "if all humans are at this level at such a young age, then of course the adults must be that much more terrifying." Thing is, the five year old didn't have telepathy he took one look at the the alien and said "you're lost aren't you?" and followed this up by "Wanna' see a magic trick?" this of  course was followed by the boy showing him a magic trick wherein the boy predicted the card the alien had chosen from deck of cards at random... and, of course, the boy figured out it was an alien with the simple question "are you from outer space?" the alien had too escape quickly before the boy could probe his mind further and returned to warn his species about the terrifying earthlings... who probably already knew about the planned invasion and were clearly just toying with them so as not to arouse suspicion.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

iceick

Quote from: Riddel_Espoir on March 15, 2010, 01:15:01 PM
Um... maybe it's a bit off-topic, but how come Fi's tail Pip-bite mark is still there? I mean, don't Warp-aci get to regenerate small injuries?

Or prehaps warp aci can only heal that kind of damage by going back to their own dimention, which, because of Dan, didn't happen to Fi.

Quote from: iceick on March 16, 2010, 02:29:42 PM
Quote from: Riddel_Espoir on March 15, 2010, 01:15:01 PM
Um... maybe it's a bit off-topic, but how come Fi's tail Pip-bite mark is still there? I mean, don't Warp-aci get to regenerate small injuries?

Or prehaps warp aci can only heal that kind of damage by going back to their own dimention, which, because of Dan, didn't happen to Fi.
I think Warp Aci can't shapeshift on their own, they can only change shape if their "owner" wills them to. So maybe Fi should "nicely" "ask" Dan to do this for him.

iceick

We're not reffering to shapeshifting, we're reffering to healing. And as for shapeshifting a new tail Dan doesn't know how to do those kind of spells yet (if ever), so if Fi asks anyone to shapeshift his tail he should ask Abel.