02/21/10 [DMFA #1091] - A Good Listener

Started by Baal Hadad, February 21, 2010, 02:54:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zedd

Well if you look at him talking,I see it's a mindless coy way that it's been pre-planned since day one of her comic. For the most part it's another way to bust down that 4th wall before..Who knows what would go from there!!

Bjalf

Quote from: Mrs_A_ZeTavia on February 22, 2010, 12:03:31 AM
Quote from: Techcubi on February 21, 2010, 11:35:21 PM
Wait a second, wait a second...Mab has a SON? Since when?

It was either part of a joke or speculation I believe.....  :3

It's mentioned in a secret page. Mab gets a son about 7000 years in the future, who later travels back in time to help Mab with her nefarious plot. His real name is Peep. He is also the co-father of Deebs.

:tongue

Arcblade

Quote from: Bjalf on February 22, 2010, 06:28:12 AM
Quote from: Mrs_A_ZeTavia on February 22, 2010, 12:03:31 AM
Quote from: Techcubi on February 21, 2010, 11:35:21 PM
Wait a second, wait a second...Mab has a SON? Since when?

It was either part of a joke or speculation I believe.....  :3

It's mentioned in a secret page. Mab gets a son about 7000 years in the future, who later travels back in time to help Mab with her nefarious plot. His real name is Peep. He is also the co-father of Deebs.

:tongue

*shakes fist*  Eeevvilll!

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

AmigaDragon

Quote from: jeffh4 on February 22, 2010, 03:39:26 AM
Someone mentioned Drake languages before.  In the Pip page, Amber mentions that there are 3 Drake languages, 2 of which only Drakes speak.  Pyroduck can speak all 38 languages of Furrae, however, so I suppose he's the exception.  Don't think we've ever seen Pyro talking to Pip, however.

There's nothing though saying that Pip is speaking in one of those three Drake languages, or knows only those three. For all we know he could be like Ducky and know all 38.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

terrycloth

I don't think Pip can be a fey -- he doesn't have insect wings, antennae, or a gem, which are all (probably) required by fairy law. We know the gem is at least.

Bjalf

Quote from: terrycloth on February 22, 2010, 02:55:00 PM
I don't think Pip can be a fey -- he doesn't have insect wings, antennae, or a gem, which are all (probably) required by fairy law. We know the gem is at least.

But does the gem have to be large, visible, or in a contrasting colour?

Arcblade

Quote from: Bjalf on February 22, 2010, 02:58:32 PM

No, probably(IMO), and no.  We just know it has to be on the Fae's forehead.  Presumably that means it has to be visible so people know immediately that you're not breaking the law. 

There is the case of Mab leaving the Fae kingdom to avoid defluffing her tail, though.  If she only has to defluff while in the kingdom, it's conceivable that Pip could be a Fae in complete disguise. 

Azlan, for instance, has feathered wings, no antennae, and no gem (that we can see).  But we do know he's a Fae. 

D'ymkarra

Quote from: Arcblade on February 22, 2010, 03:11:20 PM
Azlan, for instance, has feathered wings, no antennae, and no gem (that we can see).  But we do know he's a Fae. 
Remember though, Azlan uses a patch to alter his appearance to aid him as an adventurer. We have seen him in his Fae form, but his gem is still not visible (maybe under his hair?)

Sometimes a Drake............Is just a Drake?
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

Rakyth

Quote from: Arcblade on February 22, 2010, 03:11:20 PM
Quote from: Bjalf on February 22, 2010, 02:58:32 PM

No, probably(IMO), and no.  We just know it has to be on the Fae's forehead.  Presumably that means it has to be visible so people know immediately that you're not breaking the law. 

There is the case of Mab leaving the Fae kingdom to avoid defluffing her tail, though.  If she only has to defluff while in the kingdom, it's conceivable that Pip could be a Fae in complete disguise. 

So, it seems so long as they're outside of the Fae Kingdom they're legal in all senses[It's not a real government, mind.]

While I knew that only Drakes could speak 2 of the 3 languages that Pip does, I did not know that Pyroduck knew all 38..Which means that it probably isn't unlikely for a Fae to know them all either. While his profile lists his age as 16, we do know that Fae take on roles, so maybe Pip is doing the same. One thing that gets me is that Pip is the only Drake we see in the entire comic, enless I'm mistaken. This would imply Drakes being rare...Which would make Pip rare, which is probably why people love to take pictures of him. But if Drakes were scarce, this only adds more evidence of Pip being a Fae-How did Mab get her hands on Pip? Why is he serving her?[which is a plot question that SHALL NOT BE ANSWERED.] Are all Drakes loyal and intelligent enough to speak perfect Common? Not only that, but wouldn't Pip be open to disease and death? Wouldn't this ruin or hamper Mab's plan?

It would seem Drake has more in common with a Fae than a Drake.

ALL IN ALL: I don't think Pip is a Fae..But there's a lot of evidence, IMO, supporting it.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: rakyth on February 23, 2010, 01:36:11 AM
One thing that gets me is that Pip is the only Drake we see in the entire comic, enless I'm mistaken. This would imply Drakes being rare...Which would make Pip rare, which is probably why people love to take pictures of him.

We have seen at least 4 other drakes in the course of the comic. Though that doesn't necessarily mean they are or aren't very rare.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Madd the Sane

Quote from: AmigaDragon on February 23, 2010, 03:42:55 AM
We have seen at least 4 other drakes in the course of the comic.
Nah, there was the time that the human flashed a lot of drakes, enraging them and having him and Merlitz run for it.
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

Bjalf

Quote from: Madd the Sane on February 23, 2010, 05:14:06 AM
Nah, there was the time that the human flashed a lot of drakes, enraging them and having him and Merlitz run for it.

Strips 56, 57 and 58. Those strips are so old that they are possibly not canon.

Defender_16

Who else read Pip's voice as Maurice LaMarche's ?

Mao

Drayco84

Holy crap! One of Farnsworth's devices works! ROBOT HELL HAS FROZEN OVER AND WE'RE ALL DOOMED!

Roach Lord

I actually don't think Pip should talk. It sort of ruins the fun factor of him.

Rakyth

Quote from: AmigaDragon on February 23, 2010, 03:42:55 AM
Quote from: rakyth on February 23, 2010, 01:36:11 AM
One thing that gets me is that Pip is the only Drake we see in the entire comic, enless I'm mistaken. This would imply Drakes being rare...Which would make Pip rare, which is probably why people love to take pictures of him.

We have seen at least 4 other drakes in the course of the comic. Though that doesn't necessarily mean they are or aren't very rare.

Judging by its age and its use for comedic effect, probably isn't canon, either. HOWEVER-A fun idea to toy around with. That's for sure.
*rerails topic*

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Drayco84 on February 23, 2010, 11:59:53 AM
Holy crap! One of Fansworth's devices works! ROBOT HELL HAS FROZEN OVER AND WE'RE ALL DOOMED!

Who?

Rakyth

Quote from: AmigaDragon on February 24, 2010, 02:32:38 AM
Holy crap! One of Fansworth's devices works! ROBOT HELL HAS FROZEN OVER AND WE'RE ALL DOOMED!

Who?

Correction, Farnsworth.

In the TV series Futurama, Farnsworth is Fry's great..to the nth power grandson, because Fry got stuck in a cryotube for either 1000, 2000, or 3000 years. Farnsworth is moderately old, with thick glasses[Though, technically, Fry is ancient...He hasn't aged a bit, due to cryotube.].

It's a bit of a running gag for Professor Farnsworth's inventions to be slightly or completely off.

ooklah

Quote from: Mao Laoren on February 23, 2010, 11:05:22 AM
For me, it was more like this:

Good News Everyone!

that was great laugh. I'm just gonna stick that here with my de-motivational of the same thing.
<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."

Drayco84

Quote from: rakyth on February 24, 2010, 02:38:53 AM
Quote from: AmigaDragon on February 24, 2010, 02:32:38 AM

Who?

Correction, Farnsworth.

In the TV series Futurama, Farnsworth is Fry's great..to the nth power grandson, because Fry got stuck in a cryotube for either 1000, 2000, or 3000 years. Farnsworth is moderately old, with thick glasses[Though, technically, Fry is ancient...He hasn't aged a bit, due to cryotube.].

It's a bit of a running gag for Professor Farnsworth's inventions to be slightly or completely off.

1: Excuuuuuuuse me for a spelling error! (That was aimed at AmigaDragon, btw.)
2: NEPHEW, not grandson. (He probably can't breed due to the fact that he's his own grandfather... However, his brother Nancy was still capable of it...)

Bjalf

Quote from: Drayco84 on February 24, 2010, 12:06:06 PM

No no, you don't have to apologize for your own shortcomings ...  :D

Naldru

Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Bjalf on February 24, 2010, 12:29:40 PM
Quote from: Drayco84 on February 24, 2010, 12:06:06 PM

No no, you don't have to apologize for your own shortcomings ...  :D

*snorts beer*

:D

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Shachza

Quote from: rakyth on February 22, 2010, 02:23:48 AM
On the topic of Pip's voice, I read it like Tyrael from Diablo 2.

Oooo!  I like that one!  Plus Tyrael had some of the coolest wings I've ever seen.

Quote from: rakyth on February 24, 2010, 02:38:53 AM
Correction, Farnsworth.

Farnsworth is something like 160 years old (age varies a little depending on episode).  Fry was frozen for 1000 years (it's the year 3000 when the series begins), but at one point they all go back in time and are the cause of the Roswell incident.  From this Fry also becomes his own grandpa, which allows him to exist without a Delta brainwave.  This makes him immune to the Space Brains' mental attacks and allows him to save the universe (several times).

Quote from: ooklah on February 24, 2010, 02:55:03 AM
Quote from: Mao Laoren on February 23, 2010, 11:05:22 AM
For me, it was more like this:

Good News Everyone!

that was great laugh. I'm just gonna stick that here with my de-motivational of the same thing.

I play World of Warcraft, so I keep hearing Professor Putricide instead.  His quotes are in no particular order unfortunately.  It would make a lot more sense if his quotes about Rotface and Festergut were before his other random sayings, and especially before his death emote.
            <-- #1 that is!

Amberbydreams

Okay, apparently I'm the only person who has Pip's voice along the lines of Cristopher Lee...

But I'm just weird. ^.^

thegayhare

Why should Abel be surprised Pip can talk?  I mean he's a guy who knew every single warp aci by name.  He's used to small temperamental creatures with powers that far exceed what what you'd expect from there appearance coming up to him and having a conversation.  And sometimes playing poker.

even if he knows nothing about Drakes, he might simply assume they are the fae equivalent of warp aci

Ghostwish

I doubt he's surprised by the drake talking. I think he's more like "Now where did you come from?"