Doom snow!

Started by Alondro, February 09, 2010, 09:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alondro

Well, here I am waiting for another massive snowstorm.  The second one in less than a week!

Here in Philadelphia, we're 9 inches away from the all-time seasonal record for snowfall... and forecast to receive up to 18 from this next snow monster!

I was out with my brother and his crew doing snow removal from 3 am Saturday to 3 am Sunday non-stop, and it looks like I'll be doing that again Tuesday-Wednesday night.  X_x

Who else is in for a blast from this storm?
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Corgatha Taldorthar

*raises hand in an irritated fashion.*

And I've never liked snow, even little white dustings. This is just awful. If I didn't have to work, I'd lock myself in a windowless room and wouldn't come out until it all melted.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Damaris

We're getting hit as well, although Indiana isn't getting it as bad as the east coast.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

llearch n'n'daCorna

We're not getting hit. We had a dusting of snow yesterday, though, and the temp dropped from about 12-14C down to, well, around zero.

Given we don't usually have snow at all, or maybe once or twice a year, the last couple of years have been a little strange...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Passive

Cogidubnus

I will simply hijack this thread, and say that as I woke up this morning, without any prior knowledge, a snowstorm moved in.

It's coming down like a storybook. Flakes as big as your eye. Absolutely gorgeous.

Third time this year Texas has had snow. Probably the third time in the last couple of years too. :P

Sofox

Sounds chronic.

Yeah, us here in Ireland had our freezing weather around the turn of the year. A country that normaly only has a week of snow and suddenly having more then 2 weeks of the coldest longest weather conditions the country has had in decades. The extra irony being that Dubliners tend to wish for a white Christmas given that snow is so rare, even Guinness has this add they show during the season where it shows the snow starting in Dublin on midnight of Christmas Eve and then wishes that everyone will hopefully have a white Christmas ("from the home of the white stuff"). After all that happened last month, I wonder if they will be showing it this year...

So yeah, from someone who knows how snow can bring a complete standstill to places not prepared for it, and how can suddenly require doing normal things a whole new way, I hope the best for everyone dealing with it.

Keleth

I'm handling it in the only way Canadians know how.

Snowshoes, snowboards and Snowmobiles!  :mowninja
Help! I'm gay!

Alondro

*digs himself out from the massive snowdrifts*

Well, it was a huge snow blast indeed.  I helped my brother yesterday with plowing as much as I could, but he's still out as of writing this and I need to struggle my way into Philadelphia to work on timed experiments this afternoon. 

Philly was pretty much in a mandatory shut-down mode yesterday, so I'm glad I didn't even think of going in.

We had sporadic power loss all last night (never have had that before in a snowstorm!) and trees were breaking all over the place (again, never had that happen before!).  Philly and Washington and a number of other places also broke their all-time record seasonal snowfall since records were kept in 1884.

And now for some funny!  Here we have a picture of a dead dude from Greenland 4000 years ago:

He's a Klingon in disguise!

Seriously, add some of those brow ridges, and what do you get?  Klingon spy!  D:
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

superluser

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Alondro

Forecasters are now calling for another 5-8 inches Tuesday, and a possible major blizzard next weekend.

Winter sucks.   :<

thegayhare

Quote from: Alondro on February 13, 2010, 03:35:30 PM
Forecasters are now calling for another 5-8 inches Tuesday, and a possible major blizzard next weekend.

Not so bad here in maine.   nice moderatly warm days, lots of snow melt  hell this past week we havent even started fires in the woodstove till it got dark...

It's been realy rather nice

Toric

My city is currently under siege by snow and ice. They attack in waves, flooding the streets on the weekends and reteating to their fluffy airship barracks through the weeks. This weekend was relatively quiet, but they'll be back.... They'll be back.... :cry

Good luck with your current blizzard, Alondro.
Yap by Silver.

Keleth

Quick this is important.

Give me all your snow.

DO IT NOW :3
Help! I'm gay!

Alondro

Quote from: Drathorin on February 16, 2010, 08:29:55 PM

Quick this is important.

Give me all your snow.

DO IT NOW :3

*melts all the snows so no one can have it!*  I caused all the global warming!   :mwaha

Keleth

Quote from: Alondro on February 16, 2010, 11:11:13 PM
*melts all the snows so no one can have it!*  I caused all the global warming!   :mwaha

Now all of Canada and Russia knows who to kill.

*adds the name to the list*
Help! I'm gay!

Alondro

Ok, after a hellish work week, which saw me in the lab from Saturday night to Wednesday evening NONSTOP (!!!), my area goit pounded by DOOM SNOW PART III, also known as the 'Snowicane', which brought nearly hurricane force wind gusts last night and nearly another foot of snow. 

I WANT SPRING NOW!!!   :<

Sunblink

We got sleet of the ice pellet variety in West Palm motherfuckin' Beach. It was pretty puny compared to what the other states have received, but it was still sleet.

Holy shit, I've entered the Twilight Zone. :dface

thegayhare

*still sitting in maine watching the snow melt away so the rain can play*

superluser

Snowicane is here, too, and everyone's panicking.

I'm not sure why, exactly.  It's really not that bad.

Liatai

Speak for yourself, superluser! :mowdizzy  We got nearly two feet of the heavy stuff in my neck of the woods yesterday. The drifts were some three to four feet tall in some places; one buried my car.

On the bright side, though, I got a lot of studying and baking done while I was stuck indoors during the storm. Cookies and flash cards galore!

superluser

Quote from: Liatai on February 27, 2010, 03:22:02 PMSpeak for yourself, superluser! :mowdizzy  We got nearly two feet of the heavy stuff in my neck of the woods yesterday. The drifts were some three to four feet tall in some places; one buried my car.

Same here.  Like I said, I'm not sure why people are panicking.  Then again, I did grow up in Erie, PA.

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on February 27, 2010, 06:44:53 PM
Same here.  Like I said, I'm not sure why people are panicking.  Then again, I did grow up in Erie, PA.

The folks in reception at work run home even if the snow doesn't settle.
We did have about 7" last month, which caused a lot of disruption since we don't usually get that much, but apart from that it's been nothing special.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Fibre

Ah, lucky folks getting snow. I wish we'd get even maybe 6 inches or so on the ground down here in Houston. It would be absolutely hilarious. >:3 And the walk into work would be so nice; the office would be so wonderfully quiet too. :3

(I think I saw one or two snowflakes float by out the window a few evenings ago when we had "up to a half inch" of snow on the forecast. Oh well...)

Robbychu

Listening to you guys hissing about snow makes me wish I was still in Virginia. :< I miss snow. We had a grand total of two to three inches a few weeks ago, and almost all of it melted before the sun set. And given that that snow was apparently the first snowfall here in a few years, my chances for another snowfall aren't so good.
THIS POST WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY ALL CAPS. :)

Rheeeeeeeee...

Tapewolf

For people who didn't get their fair share of snow, I've uploaded these which I took in January:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/cwmbran/cwmbran10-1.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/cwmbran/cwmbran10-2.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/cwmbran/cwmbran10-3.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/cwmbran/cwmbran10-4.jpg

...some of the doomiest snow I've seen for a number of years, although it's chickenfeed to what you'd get in parts of the US or Canada.

Drayco84

You call THAT a snowstorm?! Geez, man! The pristine spots in my front yard almost go up to my friggin' KNEE! (And I'm 6ft tall, btw.)

Well, it's not as bad now since we've gotten above freezing temps the last couple days and it melts quickly... (I'm in Ohio, btw.)

Sind

I have to admit I laughed my ass of when I saw Tapewolf's pictures of "snowstorm"... sadly  :<

Where I live the snow is one whole meter high(39.37 inches), not to mention that I still have to walk to school  D:

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sind on February 28, 2010, 05:35:26 PM
I have to admit I laughed my ass of when I saw Tapewolf's pictures of "snowstorm"... sadly  :<

The whole idea of posting them was for the benefit of people who didn't get snow, not people who got more.  That is why I said they were chickenfeed compared to what you'd get in the US or Canada.  Though no-one seems to be able to read that somehow.

EDIT:
Apologies, that probably came off too harsh.  Right now isn't the best time to take the piss, but it'll probably be a different matter in the morning.

Drayco84

Sorry, I just clicked on the links and didn't notice the line below said links. Thus, I overreacted. Again, my apologies.