02/01/10 [DMFA #1072] - Daddy of all issues

Started by MT Hazard, January 02, 2010, 05:27:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT Hazard

Looks like Pyroduck takes more after his mother, whoever that might be.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Naldru

He views Fa'Lina as his mother.  We could always raise the nature/nurture issue of child development to consider which affects him more.  For all we know, his biological mother could have been worse.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

MT Hazard

I was thinking more physically, as a dragon P.D does not resemble his father. example 
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Tapewolf

So presumably the other four were also presented on silver platters.  If so, each of the five likely represents a clan that he virtually wiped out.  Plus any number of other clans where there wasn't anyone left to gift a child to.

I guess the chief question is, did Pyro attempt the project at all?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

!KCA

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 02, 2010, 06:48:12 AM

Considering that he never went back to his father, I suspect he didn't bother.

Tapewolf

Quote from: !KCA on January 02, 2010, 07:16:17 AM
Considering that he never went back to his father, I suspect he didn't bother.

Indeed.  You never can tell, though.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 02, 2010, 06:48:12 AM

... and is what Destania doing related in any [specific] way?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Grey Wolf

Poor Pyroduck. I hope he had the wisdom not to take it personally, and instead think something along the lines of: "Wow. I go out of my way to find you, despite all the horrible things I've heard about you, and you treat me like this. You suck!"

But given the natural need a child has to feel loved by their parents, Pyro might have thought: "So, even if I hadn't been kidnapped, you wouldn't have wanted me?"

As for the task... a parent's love should be unconditional. Your sire is not deserving of you, Pyro; you're too good for him.
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

inuhanyo

Fortunately, Pyroduck is in the position of an adopted child, knowing who his biological parents are gives him a sense of having roots, but his emotional attachments are to his adoptive family.

And Pyroduck is young yet, for a dragon, we've seen his draconian form only once. He probably isn't full grown yet.

ShadesFox

I don't know about all that, I just think Pyroduck looks cute in that last panel.
The All Purpose Fox

Lucheek

Hmm...destroyed his children. Not killed, not murdered, not even slayed. Destroyed... I don't know why, but that strikes me as a very curious verb. I don't think he puts much personal stock in his offspring... but that was already kind of obvious.

demecowen

Wow the old man bastard, but just to play devil advocate for moment, I too would be distrusting that a my enemy kidnapped and raised my child and he may have said to test his loyality, you know be hard on your kid to make them stronger.

Another thing if Pryoduck father was still alive why would the Cubi's try to steal his kids and not go after the father himself. That does not seem right and smart thing to do.

Tapewolf

Quote from: demecowen on January 02, 2010, 12:26:49 PM
Wow the old man bastard, but just to play devil advocate for moment, I too would be distrusting that a my enemy kidnapped and raised my child and he may have said to test his loyality, you know be hard on your kid to make them stronger.
There's testing loyalty, and then there's inciting genocide.

QuoteAnother thing if Pryoduck father was still alive why would the Cubi's try to steal his kids and not go after the father himself. That does not seem right and smart smart thing to do.

An invulnerable, multi-million year old creature with Fae-like powers is not exactly what I'd call an easy target.

EvilDM

ChaosMageX

Quote from: EvilDM on January 02, 2010, 01:52:24 PM
Hmm....

Pyroducks dad
Hizell

The nose horn is a bit different, but still.

If they do turn out to be one in the same, then all I can say is...
:twist

Then again, they may just be relatives instead of the same dragon. :P
Who's to say all dragons in the DMFA multi-verse aren't somehow related?

Icon by Sunblink

Tapewolf

Quote from: ChaosMageX on January 02, 2010, 02:53:19 PM
If they do turn out to be one in the same, then all I can say is...
[PLOT TWIST!]

Then again, they may just be relatives instead of the same dragon. :P
Who's to say all dragons in the DMFA multi-verse aren't somehow related?

With the whole of the multiverse to explore, there probably aren't a huge number of dragons on the Furrae plane.  I for one, would not be particularly shocked if Pyroduck's dad was Hizell.

Damaris

Comic 1071 leads me to believe that his father's name is Dimanika

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Lucheek

Quote from: Damaris on January 02, 2010, 03:12:26 PM
Comic 1071 leads me to believe that his father's name is Dimanika

Comic 1070 leads me to belive that Dimanika was the name of the Cubi clan giving away the children, not his father.

Damaris

Bah.  Curse you and your reading back one more.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Mao

Reese Tora

Hmm...

I was just looking at the comic again, and Ir ealized that daddy's face reminds me of a certain character from a movie I fondly remember watching as  kid; The Elm-chanted Forest.

Specifically, his face looks kind of like the evil soldier/minions, who are basically animated pole arms

see the scene at about 22 seconds here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFIX3ED3peo if you have no clue what I'm talking about.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Scarydragon

Since I enjoy supporting the underdog (sometimes just because he is the badguy :P) I feel I must defend Pyroduck's father, at least a little bit.

Pyroduck's father did bad things to many people. True. But really, he's a dragon.

That's their shtick.

As a creature (and a damned powerful one) he believes in power. Whatever the reasons he attacked and 'took' several 'cubi clans, I imagine he had a pretty good reason for it (even if it was just to amass more power). As far as we know, it might have been the 'cubi clans who started whatever dealings that lead to said nastiness.

Not that I'm saying what Pyro's father did was justified, I'm just saying that none of us (bar Amber) knows what really went down.

And as for Pyro's father counting Pyro as 'destroyed', Pyro was taken and raised by 'lesser beings/creatures'. In his eyes, I imagine that is just as bad as being killed. :<
A Scarydragon approaches!

[Attack]
>[Word Play]
     [Sarcasm]
     [Innuendo]
     [Backwards Logic]
     [Puns]
   >[Sarcasm]
  [Procrastinate]
  [Item]

Tapewolf

Quote from: Scarydragon on January 02, 2010, 06:54:33 PM
As a creature (and a damned powerful one) he believes in power. Whatever the reasons he attacked and 'took' several 'cubi clans, I imagine he had a pretty good reason for it (even if it was just to amass more power). As far as we know, it might have been the 'cubi clans who started whatever dealings that lead to said nastiness.

I have to wonder if they simply saw them as a threat.  Tri-wings are pretty powerful and the war seems to have wiped most of them out.  Cyra seems to be hiding from them.

QuoteNot that I'm saying what Pyro's father did was justified, I'm just saying that none of us (bar Amber) knows what really went down.

True.  However I can't get this little quote out of my head:
"The dragons of Furrae are somewhat like the Fae...in that the more people will find out about them, odds are the more they will dislike them." -- Amber

thegayhare

Quote from: EvilDM on January 02, 2010, 01:52:24 PM
Hmm....

Pyroducks dad
Hizell

The nose horn is a bit different, but still.

Actualy there is more differances then just the nose

Hizell has a larger muzzle and longer jaw, he's also got a downword pointing spike at the hinge of his jaw, he's also got a small spike above his eyes,

Grey Wolf

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 02, 2010, 07:34:27 PM

I have to wonder if they simply saw them as a threat.  Tri-wings are pretty powerful and the war seems to have wiped most of them out.  Cyra seems to be hiding from them.

Destroying Tri-wings because they are a potential threat is a rather self-fulfilling prophecy. Sort of like the story of Fenrir: if you tie a giant wolf up and shove a sword in his mouth, you really have no right to complain if he kills you when he breaks free.

QuoteNot that I'm saying what Pyro's father did was justified, I'm just saying that none of us (bar Amber) knows what really went down.

"The dragons of Furrae are somewhat like the Fae...in that the more people will find out about them, odds are the more they will dislike them." -- Amber

Consider this: If you don't understand death as a great limitation, how can you truly respect life?
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Grey Wolf on January 02, 2010, 09:19:13 PM

Destroying Tri-wings because they are a potential threat is a rather self-fulfilling prophecy. Sort of like the story of Fenrir: if you tie a giant wolf up and shove a sword in his mouth, you really have no right to complain if he kills you when he breaks free.

True enough, but, that only works if they were peaceful to begin with.

I remember Fa'Lina mentioning to Abel that there were a few cubi clans that embraced their "evil" desires, giving cubi in general a real bad reputation. The Cyra clan was one of them, the Siar was another. It is not at all impossible to think that one of those evil clans incited the whole thing to begin with. And then once the dragons attacked, alliances with more peaceful clans on both sides would have pulled them into the quagmire as well, making it a Dragon vs Cubi war, instead of a spat between a Dragon and one Cubi clan.

Even Fa'Lina seems to have her loss of her clan from the Cubi/dragon war.
I wonder why she survived though ? There was no academy to hide in then.
Maybe she's just *that* powerful ?

.. or sneaky ?

Poisoned muffins perhaps ? :D

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Ted Schiller

(snip)

If you are a Fae's cute little pet, life is golden.  If the Fae is in his ant-stomping childhood - and that can happen anytime he chooses, you are in for a world of hurt.

With regards,
Ted

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Naldru on January 02, 2010, 06:08:10 AM
He views Fa'Lina as his mother.  We could always raise the nature/nurture issue of child development to consider which affects him more.  For all we know, his biological mother could have been worse.
Except he was raised (at first anyway) by the phoenix oracle Da'.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Chakat Blackspots

I see that Alexi has scooted over away from him for now.

AmigaDragon

#1072 implies that he hasn't met his biological mother. The next question is "does he know who she is/was?" After his encounter with "dear old Dad", does he care who she is and whether she's alive?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen