11/29/09 [DMFA #1065] - sibling rivilries among the volcano tribes

Started by thegayhare, November 29, 2009, 12:29:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted Schiller

Quote from: The Miss Kissriss Cast pageMatilda can eat normal food, but her kind prefers things with high combustion rates.
Thermite jawbreakers, perhaps?   :mowcookie

I'm surprised that Matilda does not wear a sweater.  :)

With regards,
Ted

Silverling

Huhm~
I suddenly like Matilda a lot more. •w•

I mean, not that I hated her before, she's one of my favorite characters, but I now like her more. >w<

Lego3400

Quote from: Reese Tora on November 29, 2009, 06:46:42 AM
I think, maybe, that platter is for both of them? I notice that Dan has a napkin/place mat/whatever in front of him, same as Matilda, and that the plate of food is not on his setting.

Quote from: Lego3400 on November 29, 2009, 03:27:12 AM
Also.... Amber plays Neopets?

Well, she used to, at any rate; no idea if she still does. :<

The quote on the window bar leaves me to belive she still does. TNT is Neopets staff and Meepit Juice Break is a game there.

Scrap Fish

I noted that window bar too.

Still, on the comic.
Matilda seems to have retractable claws. Large and sturdy ones as well. And she seems to hold her own in a fight too... (Lord knows I couldn't beat my brother into submission with his own arm.)
Hmm...
*begins daydreaming of Dan and Matilda adventuring together*

Just spreading the confusion around. There's enough for everybody!

jeffh4

I think this has been mentioned before, but when Matilda wants others to see her as non-threatening, or Amber wants us to relate to her, Matilda's third eye is closed. 

Because, as you know, us forum-lurkers are easily freaked out, you know.   :)

PencilinHand

Given that her favorite food is wine and her kind prefers to consume more combustible material, she maybe drinking high concentrate ethanol or something equally high proof.

Edited for my viewing pleasure. :mowninja

Ted Schiller

Quote from: Reese Tora on November 29, 2009, 06:46:42 AM
I think, maybe, that platter is for both of them? I notice that Dan has a napkin/place mat/whatever in front of him, same as Matilda, and that the plate of food is not on his setting.

(snip)
I think you are right.  That trencher probably holds appetizers.   :mowcookie

With regards,
Ted

Angel

A) HOORAY Amber, you still play Neopets too! (It's a boredom buster like no other, I tell you...)

B) This cements it. Matilda is fracking awesome.

C) Can limbs be reattached by medics other than Cubi, to species other than Cubi?
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Black_angel on November 29, 2009, 06:03:18 PM
C) Can limbs be reattached by medics other than Cubi, to species other than Cubi?

From what I've heard (which may have changed since) many Creatures ('Cubi included) will tend to regrow lost limbs.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Shadowcatcher

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 29, 2009, 06:11:49 PM
From what I've heard (which may have changed since) many Creatures ('Cubi included) will tend to regrow lost limbs.
That's an assertion I'm sure  Dan does not want to put to the test.

Arapaima

Quote from: PencilinHand on November 29, 2009, 04:05:24 PM
Interesting to note that her family is listed as, "Mother, 2 sisters, Brother"  but she only speaks of her father having two daughters before he died.  Maybe her mother was ordered/forced to remarry(or whatever it is they do) by her brother?

Also, given that her favorite food is wine and her kind prefers to consume more combustible material, she maybe drinking high concentrate ethanol or something equally high proof.

I'm thinking straight everclear. 190 proof baby!
Someone will remember you, sometime.
Just try and sleep with the music on, all the time.
Well I'm sorry kid, tonight you sleep outside.

inuhanyo

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 29, 2009, 07:00:19 AM
That's quite a meal out, if neither party has to eat...

Well, the Bar and Grill staff doesn't know that.  Anyway, I imagine it would be part of what they ordered.

And just because Dan hasn't needed to eat for three years, doesn't meant he's lost the ability to enjoy eating.  Or pack it away.  Unlike his lack of need for sleep, which now makes it difficult for him to get to sleep.

Now that he is aware of it, he might make it a point to eat, when he thinks of if.  That's the thing of course, not needing to eat means he don't get hungry, so he has no internal reminder to eat.  It's now something he has to remember to do.

Reese Tora

Quote from: inuhanyo on November 29, 2009, 10:46:23 PMNow that he is aware of it, he might make it a point to eat, when he thinks of if.  That's the thing of course, not needing to eat means he don't get hungry, so he has no internal reminder to eat.  It's now something he has to remember to do.

Even people who do need to eat miss the internal reminders that it's chow time... (What do you mean it's 4am? I was just playing WoW/DiabloII/DwarfFortress/CRPGoftheweek...)
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Thirty Second Artbomb

Quote from: Arapaima on November 29, 2009, 10:41:20 PM
Quote from: PencilinHand on November 29, 2009, 04:05:24 PM
Interesting to note that her family is listed as, "Mother, 2 sisters, Brother"  but she only speaks of her father having two daughters before he died.  Maybe her mother was ordered/forced to remarry(or whatever it is they do) by her brother?

Also, given that her favorite food is wine and her kind prefers to consume more combustible material, she maybe drinking high concentrate ethanol or something equally high proof.

I'm thinking straight everclear. 190 proof baby!

Everclear? Jeez, you may as well go straight for the kerosene at that point.

Ted Schiller

Who could go as an emissary to Blue Volcano?  I would guess Cubi could not, but the Fae could.   :wizfire

With regards,
Ted

Tapewolf

Quote from: inuhanyo on November 29, 2009, 10:46:23 PM
And just because Dan hasn't needed to eat for three years, doesn't meant he's lost the ability to enjoy eating.  Or pack it away.  Unlike his lack of need for sleep, which now makes it difficult for him to get to sleep.

However, eating when he's already having his nutritional needs catered for is liable to ruin his figure unless he does something to burn it off.  (I would presume Abel does this since the gym was one of the first facilities he mentioned in SAIA).

joshofspam

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 30, 2009, 03:36:51 AM
Quote from: inuhanyo on November 29, 2009, 10:46:23 PM
And just because Dan hasn't needed to eat for three years, doesn't meant he's lost the ability to enjoy eating.  Or pack it away.  Unlike his lack of need for sleep, which now makes it difficult for him to get to sleep.

However, eating when he's already having his nutritional needs catered for is liable to ruin his figure unless he does something to burn it off.  (I would presume Abel does this since the gym was one of the first facilities he mentioned in SAIA).

Wait. Wouldn't being having a little meat to your bones be more of a preference to a cubi then a actual problem of being obese?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Tapewolf

Quote from: joshofspam on November 30, 2009, 10:51:29 AM
Wait. Wouldn't being having a little meat to your bones be more of a preference to a cubi then a actual problem of being obese?

Yes, but while Abel may have taken it into account, I doubt Dan has thought that far ahead.
Of course, there might be some mechanism inherent in 'Cubi which prevents them from getting fat if they feed on both food and emotions...

Mao

Assuming they get fat from feeding on emotions, or that their methods of sustenance work that way.  Many assumptions.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Or that they can't shapeshift excess fat away if they don't want it. Can Cubi break the law of conservation of mass?
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Mao

Do real world physics and other such scientific knowledge even apply in this universe of magic and fantasy?

MT Hazard

Quote from: Mao Laoren on November 30, 2009, 11:34:57 AM
Do real world physics and other such scientific knowledge even apply in this universe of magic and fantasy?

Short answer: No
Long Answer: Noooooooooooooo, kind of.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Valynth

Yes, but only when the wizard allows it.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Mao

It was meant to be a rhetorical question.. but thanks guys. ;-]

Corgatha Taldorthar

*sighs* It has to, at least to some extent, unless the author is going out of his/her way to make things alien. I think we're all meant to acknowledge Dan's lung wound in #982 as deadly serious, even though it's never explicitly stated that 'Cubi, (or anyone in general) needs to breathe. Likewise, objects fall due to the influence of gravity (except Warp-Aci), you need a mother and a father to reproduce (except the Fae and maybe for certain weird mythos), and people age and eventually die of it.

Sure, fantasy necessitates breaks from reality that we know about it. But that doesn't mean you throw everything out the window, and put up a big "NEENER NEENER" sign to reality. My question still, as I see it, stands. Can a 'Cubi use shapeshifting to alter his/her mass? I can think a number of times this would be useful, from shedding excess pounds to simply making  yourself twenty feet tall in the case of a fight.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Mao

Ted Schiller

Quote from: MT Hazard on November 30, 2009, 11:54:20 AM

Short answer: No
Long Answer: Noooooooooooooo, kind of.

Jyrras may use real world physics and scientific knowledge. He has a license.  :)

With regards,
Ted

ooklah

Aaryanna shape shifts into a small pink poodle at one point. The poodle is very much smaller then she is.  So I'll go with my gut feeling of... maybe.
<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."

Scow2

It seems the law of conservation of mas does not apply to cubi from what I've seen... But increasing/decreasing mass might have a steep elastic difficulty... Or it works like the Alter Self Spell from D&D... Limited in adjustments, but not absolute conservation of mass...

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: ooklah on November 30, 2009, 02:54:45 PM
Aaryanna shape shifts into a small pink poodle at one point. The poodle is very much smaller then she is.  So I'll go with my gut feeling of... maybe.

I also remember Destania shapeshifting into Biggs...a ferret much smaller than she is, and convincingly so.  Some people think the Aary-poodle thing was silly and non-canonical, so the Destania-Biggs thing is the best canon example of seemingly disappearing mass.

'Course, I do also go by the philosophy of "it's just a comic, don't think so much."  :P
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.