10/19/09 [AS2 #72] - Saying Goodbye

Started by Lorien, October 19, 2009, 02:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorien

I wonder how far gone May is right now.  I sure hope this doesn't turn into a parallel of Devin's mom's death. 

And the layout of this strip is really nice, particularly the lighting difference between the two locals and the transition.

Tapewolf

Well, I think I have a new respect for Fa'Lina here.  I guess we'll have to see how Abel handles it.  At least he has the chance to say something...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Baal Hadad

Wow.

I am very much impressed with that page!

Both the lighting (first darkness, then blinding light), which really complements the mood perfectly, and also Fa'Lina's line.  "Say the truth.  Say a lie.  Just say what comes naturally to you."

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Lorien on October 19, 2009, 02:49:08 AM
I wonder how far gone May is right now.  I sure hope this doesn't turn into a parallel of Devin's mom's death. 

I doubt she'll have the kind of violent outburst that Devin's mom had. I think more likely she'll be glad to see Abel once more.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

LionHeart

She might be a bit confused that he apparently hasn't aged any, though...
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: LionHeart on October 19, 2009, 03:36:12 AM
She might be a bit confused that he apparently hasn't aged any, though...

Therefore he must be a hallucination brought on by her dying, and lo she bequeaths sweet last words upon this 'vision' of her son, saying how much she loved him. And then she dies as Abel stutters out his response. And everyone is sad.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Tapewolf

Sadness of her passing aside, I do have to wonder about the will.  That might prove interesting.

Lucheek

I wonder how May will react to her son just appearing.

MT Hazard

She'll rationalise it, like almost everybody does, especially those of us who know we miss things all the time.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Brunhidden

its a little easy to forget that she found out abel was a cubi already
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Brunhidden on October 19, 2009, 08:21:53 AM
its a little easy to forget that she found out abel was a cubi already

Though she might not have understood everything that entails.

llearch n'n'daCorna

She's had a few years to look it up, hasn't she? I mean, it's not like she's not in Zinvth, after all...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 19, 2009, 08:47:05 AM
She's had a few years to look it up, hasn't she? I mean, it's not like she's not in Zinvth, after all...

Yes, but as I understand it 'Cubi are rare and there is a huge amount of misinformation about them.  Henya, for instance, learned some really weird stuff, though to be fair we don't know how old she was at the time or who the book was aimed at.

"They like to eat babies and steal dreams and stuff.  And they're so ugly they need to steal victims' faces to blend in."

Now it may be that she (May) plunged immediately into researching just what her son and her faux husband were, but who knows...

Corgatha Taldorthar

It's altogether probable that Abel wasn't teleported directly into May's room, but rather into some sort of waiting area.

I wonder if she remarried in the time we've been focused on Abel at SAIA. Meeting in laws could be interesting, but also might detract from the main story.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Succubus_1982

Inverting the schedule seems like a good plan although considering theres 4 update days (Fri-Mon if I recall) wouldn't it have been easier to just split it half/half? I do want to see this Abel's Story plot continued so of course I understand the motivation, but I also want to see what happens with Dan and Matilda's date (since its at such a nail-biting part of the story) I guess its going to be different for everyones personal preference, of course. *shrug* Well it doesn't bother me either way too much as long as we still get comics  :mowhappy

In regards to the actual strip. I too love the lighting effect, and I think I always respected Fa'lina's wisdom so unlike Tapewolf this is not a new feeling for me. She's so calm. Almost too serene to be something so demonic heh.... (Except when Muffins are involved hehe  :doommuffin)

Who knows what May's reaction will be. It could be a number of things. Denial is an option. She might have completely shut the whole episode out of her memory, convinced herself Cid and Abel died somehow and so seeing him back might make her hysterical remembering the whole truth. Or she could just ignore him, pretend he's simply not there and only talk to nurses and things. That's another aspect of denial. Of course I could just be being pessimistic and it could go fine. But I have a bad feeling about the whole thing personally. I think something will happen (aside from her death which is an obvious upset factor) to push Abel further into depression and self-recrimination.

On a side note... isn't it a good thing Kria isn't Abel's mentor still  :giggle I can just imagine her being like "Oh? Well never mind I'll just go and lop her head off, make it nice and quick" and totally not understanding why he's upset after all 'It's just a Being, like losing a pet almost' in her opinion  >:3 
I'm not lazy... I'm motivationally impaired

How to be an evil Overlord Part 1|Part 2

You can Skype me at lucy_locket82 but note me first or I might delete you

joshofspam

Maybe Abels mom was kept in the loop about her son by warp-aci.

Abels dad didn't say his mom couldn't keep tabs on him and those little guys are hard to keep track of if your not keeping an eye out for them.

Though I wonder if Miss Soulstealer is there keeping an eye on Abels mom.

She did seem rather chummy with Abel and his mom.

Still this will be probably one of the saddest moments in all of Ambers stories thus for. :cry
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

ChaosMageX

Surprisingly, none of the recent pages of Abel's story are really making me sad, just distant.

But hey, I guess your heart tends to freeze over a little bit after witnessing over 30 lovable, cute, and cuddly guinea pigs die over the course of a decade.

Anyway, I also love the lighting effects in this strip.  Very interesting and possibly only achievable through digital coloring.

Icon by Sunblink

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 19, 2009, 08:54:54 AMYes, but as I understand it 'Cubi are rare and there is a huge amount of misinformation about them.  Henya, for instance, learned some really weird stuff, though to be fair we don't know how old she was at the time or who the book was aimed at.

I think she was the same age as Abel (twenty-four) at the time of her death, seeing as they attended school together.

GOD I LOVE THIS PAGE. It's so pretty and I love the lighting effects and oh god oh god oh god

Caswin

This page is amazing.  I just had to get that out there.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on October 19, 2009, 03:03:53 PM
I think she was the same age as Abel (twenty-four) at the time of her death, seeing as they attended school together.

We don't know when she read her book, though.

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 19, 2009, 03:09:47 PM
Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on October 19, 2009, 03:03:53 PM

We don't know when she read her book, though.

Crap, you're right. :C That's a durp moment on my part.

Brunhidden

although there is a big diffrence between the two- abel was a serious bookworm whereas our hydra friend was a giggling flake, so perhaps downgrade her 'book on cubi' to 'magazine article on cubi'

silentassassin

Gosh man when will the cubi learn to not teleport from dark rooms to bright rooms. It really mess with your senses.

Castle Pokemetroid

Quote from: silentassassin on October 20, 2009, 10:41:07 PM
Gosh man when will the cubi learn to not teleport from dark rooms to bright rooms. It really mess with your senses.

Or perhaps it's an effect from teleporting? You are traveling quite a distance, after all.

Dagardo

Quote from: Castle Pokemetroid on October 21, 2009, 01:08:19 AM

Or perhaps it's an effect from teleporting? You are traveling quite a distance, after all.

Or, it's an effect of both, and thus makes the effects twice as bad.

Also, thread title makes me think of Megadeth's song 'The Hardest Part of Letting Go... Sealed with a  Kiss' on their new album 'EndGame'.

Brunhidden

perhaps they should start teleporting from closets, thus they go from one dark room to another and actually enter through a door instead of just poofing in front of people

Succubus_1982

Quote from: Brunhidden on October 21, 2009, 10:30:47 AM

perhaps they should start teleporting from closets, thus they go from one dark room to another and actually enter through a door instead of just poofing in front of people

Yes because having someone suddenly jump out of your closet is much less startling.....  :sweatdrop
I'm not lazy... I'm motivationally impaired

How to be an evil Overlord Part 1|Part 2

You can Skype me at lucy_locket82 but note me first or I might delete you

Lego3400

Quote from: Succubus_1982 on October 21, 2009, 11:39:32 AM
Quote from: Brunhidden on October 21, 2009, 10:30:47 AM

Yes because having someone suddenly jump out of your closet is much less startling.....  :sweatdrop

One of my charters regularly uses closets to get around. He uses his Chronomancy to turn the door frame into a portal. Opens the door, walks in shutting it and the portal behind him. People who open the door after him just stare at a closet :P

Warwick

A little off-topic, but I really love the big Warp-Aci in the middle of the page. I wonder whether there's any danger Amber might find the time to do a wallpaper. :)

llearch n'n'daCorna

I think it's a pretty safe bet to say "no", unfortunately. :-/

She's already got two wallpapers owed, I think, which she mentioned a couple days ago...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears