7/27/09 [Abel's Story pt.2 #63] - Why did she have to move them?

Started by Jairus, July 27, 2009, 02:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Magic on July 27, 2009, 07:44:18 AM
QuoteI'd kill to have a librarian that helpful (who could reach the tall shelves that the little people like me can't reach :b)

It has to be a male librarian. (They exist.) A particularly tall one, so that when he turns around and reaches for a high shelf--

You are a bad bad ex-foxen magic thing. Bad.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Amber Williams

I'm amazed no one has speculated Oolong's gender may not be actually female considering the main female-looking aspect is a decoy.

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Amber Williams on July 27, 2009, 03:36:40 PM
I'm amazed no one has speculated Oolong's gender may not be actually female considering the main female-looking aspect is a decoy.

That sound you hear is the sound of every red-blooded male fan you have gasping at you for ruining their fantasies.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Mao

Cogidubnus

I had assumed that it was a genderless -thing-, but I suppose it wouldn't be wise to speculate purely from the Anglerfish decoy.

Zedd

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on July 27, 2009, 03:40:52 PM

That sound you hear is the sound of every red-blooded male fan you have gasping at you for ruining their fantasies.
Some females as well...*skitters off*

rhyfe2002

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on July 27, 2009, 03:40:52 PM

It's okay, even if that were the real thing, there's not much he/she can do with her lower half embedded in the pillar. :<

Psy-Kosh

Given the alienes of that type of mythos, I'd figure the gender of the "puppet" would the the closest thing to what we'd normally think of as a gender. I mean, how does this type of mythos even reproduce? If later in life it's more or less stationary, how can it meet up with another adult of its kind? I'd guess it'd be more plantlike, releasing or accepting pollen/spores/whatever. Either that or it reproduces asexually.

(yay! overthinking things is fun, wheeee! :))

Lucheek

Quote from: Cogidubnus on July 27, 2009, 03:43:50 PM

I had assumed that it was a genderless -thing-, but I suppose it wouldn't be wise to speculate purely from the Anglerfish decoy.
Yah, I actually thought that to, and Oolong just plays a female so people don't have to try and make up a title instead of "ms"

LoneHowler

Quote from: Cogidubnus on July 27, 2009, 03:43:50 PM

I think it may be both genders to increase the likely hood of reproduction of a species that rarely moves out of it's location. The femaleness may be what gender it associates itself with best
Yes I know I'm a horrid speller queen of typos but dang it, I'm trying to get better
MY warp aci crappy photoshop I wish I had my tablet working
My Yappty thanks Silver :)
(hmm my sig needs updating. eeeeeh I'll do it later 07/29/06)

SpottedKitty

Quote from: Psy-Kosh on July 27, 2009, 03:59:37 PM

I'd guess it'd be more plantlike, releasing or accepting pollen/spores/whatever. Either that or it reproduces asexually.

Neither is necessary to explain Oolong's nature. Look up anything you can find by Jack Cohen. He's a genuine biologist, working at a UK university. One of his hobbies is talking to SF authors about some very weird real Earth animals, giving them ideas for the design of alien critters. I've heard him speak at SF cons. Give him five minutes to think it over, and I'm sure he'd be able to describe — possibly with the aid of Fa'Lina's diagrams — at least one plausible mechanism to allow Oolong and her (or his) kind to reproduce.
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Tapewolf

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Psy-Kosh

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 27, 2009, 04:44:32 PM
http://nice.llearch.net/dmfa_forum3067.htm#ref105
...this is from 2006 and may no longer be accurate...

Aaah, okay, thanks. Forgot about the possibility of greater sexual dimorphism. Silly me.  :doh

Naldru

My first thought is chestburster aliens.  Implant a little one and then watch the descendents get spread over a wide geographical area.  Of course, once they reach a good spot, the innards of the hosts would be spread over a somewhat smaller geographic area.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Gabi

But Amber... sorry if I'm doing something wrong here by talking about what you said on some old and possibly outdated topic, but if I recall correctly you did say that Oolong was female, and that the males of her species were mobile.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

inuhanyo

Quote from: Mao Laoren on July 27, 2009, 03:42:55 PM
Ahem.  If I may....

LOL!  Heh, even if that were really Alexsi, it would be a trap.  Don't mess with the daughter of an Amazon.

Akisohida

Is it just me or could the entire LIBRARY be a trap (In a manner of speaking)? Like, be Oolongs mouth or something? The females, being so large, shift to look like a normal building and food walks in! This one, however, has a deal with SAIA to be a working library and not eat anyone? >.> <.<

..Ok, not eat anyone except the really noisy students. This would make the Library Incident anything that makes Oolong sick or gives her indigestion? XD
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Attic Rat

I'd just assumed that Ms. Oolong instinctively shaped the "bait" to whatever would best attract food. If more of the population of Saia is attracted to nubile bunny girls than anything else, why then - a nubile bunny girl it'll be!

Yeah, I'm probably wrong. But hey, it was fun anyway.

As for the earlier suggestion of Abel removing a wall... That wall is apparently part of Ms. Oolong's body...
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

Reese Tora

too busy speculating Deffin - Devin :<
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Brownie

Quote from: Turnsky on July 27, 2009, 04:33:54 AM
i actually think her speech is more along the lines of a nigh-unison echo of the same voice, like all those rabbit heads are talking at the same time, but with varying volumes towards where she needs to speak at.

It's like what Tzeentch is meant to look like. He's got the normal one face but his entire body is made up of a swirling mass of faces that repeat his words with subtle, but important, difference.

I can't help myself.

Amber Williams

I may have to put a disclaimer up somewhere saying that information on a forum that was long since abandoned may no longer be a credible source of reference.  Especially if there is over 2+ years of time difference between them and now.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on July 28, 2009, 11:55:27 AM
I may have to put a disclaimer up somewhere saying that information on a forum that was long since abandoned may no longer be a credible source of reference.
To be fair, I already did.

Amber Williams

Tapewolf

Amber Williams

So I take it this would be a bad time to tell you about how I worked out the Jakob/Dan romance SAIA storyline...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on July 28, 2009, 12:04:45 PM
So I take it this would be a bad time to tell you about how I worked out the Jakob/Dan romance SAIA storyline...

I may have to get back to you on that.  The part of my brain that writes Daryil is shouting "YESS!" and the rest is shouting "NOO!".  It may take some time to reach quorum.

Mao

Quote from: Amber Williams on July 28, 2009, 12:04:45 PM

Hey, HEY!  Stop that.  I'm still working out the Dan/Abel as brothers in a forbidden romance fanfic.  We don't need a love triangle going on.

Edit:  Actually, this might work... maybe we could toss Mao in there too..

Amber Williams

I'm sure if Daryil becomes involved, it would soon evolve into a love-rhombus of horrible proportions. :U

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on July 28, 2009, 12:17:52 PM
I'm sure if Daryil becomes involved, it would soon evolve into a love-rhombus of horrible proportions. :U

I was just going to call it a 'love polygon' and leave it at that.