The removal of headwings.

Started by JaxiD, July 20, 2009, 09:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hapless

"Most Cubi set up filters that pass through only thoughts containing specified keywords"
That should deal with most typical "catchy tunes"... at least I hope so.
//h
Chaosnet device not responding - check breaker on the Unibus

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Amber Williams on July 23, 2009, 11:57:42 PM
Quote from: Chaos on July 23, 2009, 11:57:01 PM
Average being vs Mow?
Oh god...the fanfictions. :<

Slash?

"The Mow slowly undressed, showing just one shoulder at a time, teasingly..."
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

JaxiD

Quote from: Amber Williams on July 23, 2009, 11:56:17 PM
I'm so cool I get to double post. Cause I don't want it to constantly look like I'm changing my previous post as I add more things.

Don't get me wrong. I get it to an extent. Cubi are definately not lightweights when it comes to a fight.

But the thing I have generally tried to stress is there is more to power and winning the day than just who can beat who in a fight.  While people may relate the most to the beings, they seem to also be so focused on how they can come up with scenarios to beat the snot out of everything around them...which is ironically...more something the Demon race would relate to well enough.

While the races play to an extent, I generally have always hoped the main focus would be on the individuals and the impacts they did moreso than the race in general.  And that it seems to not be the case based on the commentary and speculation means that this is probably a failing in my own storytelling which I will have to focus on fixing in the future.

To be honest I've always had it in mind that when it comes to fighting it comes down to the individual rather than what race the character belongs to but there's been no proof to back this up, to the point that I began to wonder if what I thought was right or not.

Mainly because every single being character is comic relief almost, how do you say, I can never take any being character seriously whilst Abel and Dan both have gigantic backstories and tons of explanation as to why Cubi are super special awesome.

I mean Cubi are great and everything, but I'd personally like to see some more action involving Merlitz. Casting fire, and all that. Then there would be no contest that beings are capable of being hard core. Or better yet, some being character who can't use magic but makes up for it on the merrit that they are really good at fighting with swords and other weapons. I can't think of who would fit into that.

I do not know, I always liked the underdog.

Well that's just what I think, who else thinks along the same lines? Or am I just stupid?

Tapewolf

Quote from: JaxiD on July 24, 2009, 06:59:36 AM
Mainly because every single being character is comic relief almost, how do you say, I can never take any being character seriously whilst Abel and Dan both have gigantic backstories and tons of explanation as to why Cubi are super special awesome.

As I've heard it, a core part of Amber's design process hinges around thinking up backstories for pretty much everyone, because everyone is a person.  They don't just appear, they have lived and grown up.
I imagine that DMFA will never feature a rock concert because coming up with the life histories of a 100'000-person audience would kill her  :P

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

JaxiD

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 24, 2009, 08:14:36 AM
As I've heard it, a core part of Amber's design process hinges around thinking up backstories for pretty much everyone, because everyone is a person.  They don't just appear, they have lived and grown up.
I imagine that DMFA will never feature a rock concert because coming up with the life histories of a 100'000-person audience would kill her  :P

What?

I'm sorry did you misunderstand the point I was trying to make?

I'm saying that most creatures in the comic I see as serious, whilst the beings are basically comic relief.

Tapewolf

Quote from: JaxiD on July 24, 2009, 08:47:01 AM
I'm sorry did you misunderstand the point I was trying to make?
I'm saying that most creatures in the comic I see as serious, whilst the beings are basically comic relief.

Perhaps.  You appeared to be asserting that only a few Creature characters have full backstories, and that's not exactly true.  If that's not what you meant I apologise, but that's how I parsed it.
As for your wider point, I'm not entirely sure I agree.  Pretty much every race seems to be fair game for comic relief in the main story - in Abel's Story things are different anyway, but Devin, by and large was pretty serious. 

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Alondro

The wings are POWER REGULATORS!!! 

If they get ripped off, the cubi will asplode!!   :U
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

JaxiD

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 24, 2009, 08:58:31 AM
but Devin, by and large was pretty serious. 

Before getting shot in the head and killed instantly.

Caswin

Quote from: Amber Williams on July 23, 2009, 11:44:28 PM
The only thing I ever wonder is why Cubi get called out on their overpoweredness.
Most likely because they're the most prominent Creatures in the comic by far, from general exposition to eating habits.  If we had a general idea about both races, but more Krias eating people whole and less Destanias sucking out the delicious filling, I'm sure it would be Demons catching the flak.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Amber Williams

I have nothing I can add to this conversation anymore. I guess I'm done here.

Turnsky

Quote from: Amber Williams on July 24, 2009, 10:32:43 AM

you can always add sprinkles!  :U

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Amber Williams

Quote from: Turnsky on July 24, 2009, 10:37:29 AM

True.  :B

Apologies also if that post sounded a bit rude. I mainly wanted to let peeps know that while I did read the thread, I don't really have anything I can add anymore and didn't want people to be left with the impression I didn't even acknowledge their comments.  I realize reading it a second time that it could be taken as "well poo on your discussion. I'm done with you." which wasn't my intent.

I'm sure had the timing been different I'd have a lot more to say. But honestly, I'm just about to slam myself with Abel Stories this week and I'm somewhat stressed out from other things. So I'm not going to give any answers of anything that they want. Particularly because I get the feeling we're looking at the same comic but seeing completely different perspectives.

Turnsky

Quote from: Amber Williams on July 24, 2009, 10:44:26 AM
Quote from: Turnsky on July 24, 2009, 10:37:29 AM

True.  :B

Apologies also if that post sounded a bit rude. I mainly wanted to let peeps know that while I did read the thread, I don't really have anything I can add anymore and didn't want people to be left with the impression I didn't even acknowledge their comments.  I realize reading it a second time that it could be taken as "well poo on your discussion. I'm done with you." which wasn't my intent.

I'm sure had the timing been different I'd have a lot more to say. But honestly, I'm just about to slam myself with Abel Stories this week and I'm somewhat stressed out from other things. So I'm not going to give any answers of anything that they want. Particularly because I get the feeling we're looking at the same comic but seeing completely different perspectives.

That's fair enough, truth be told i'd do the same if i were in your shoes.  now sit back, relax, have a cold drink, and try and soothe your soul, sounds like you need it.  :3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Mao

Careful, the sprinkles are also cursed.

JaxiD

Kage

Quote from: Mao Laoren on July 24, 2009, 10:47:55 AM
Careful, the sprinkles are also cursed.

Do the sprinkles come on a frogert?   Which is also cursed? :3

Quote from: JaxiD on July 24, 2009, 06:59:36 AMMainly because every single being character is comic relief almost...

They are?  I certainly don't view Alexsi, Biggs, and Wildy as any more comic relief than Dan or Able are, and they seems less so of comic relief than Kria, Fi or Regina.

Quote from: JaxiD on July 24, 2009, 10:00:14 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on July 24, 2009, 08:58:31 AM
but Devin, by and large was pretty serious. 

Before getting shot in the head and killed instantly.

Sorry, but that part of Able's story wasn't exactly the part that had me laughing, if that was intended to be comedic; then I guess I should have thought Saving Private Ryan was supposed to be a side splitting comedy too.

Quote from: JaxiD on July 24, 2009, 06:59:36 AMI mean Cubi are great and everything, but I'd personally like to see some more action involving Merlitz. ...

If I'm not mistaken I think Merlitz was someone else's character from Frucadia, and Amber was asked to remove him from the story line.
I am the Patron Saint of Mediocrity.

Naldru

Quote from: Kage on July 24, 2009, 11:52:27 AM
If I'm not mistaken I think Merlitz was someone else's character from Frucadia, and Amber was asked to remove him from the story line.
When I saw that line, what came to mind was the idea of the online community of Fruitcakeia.  Everybody crazy, all the time.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Jairus

Quote from: Kage on July 24, 2009, 11:52:27 AM
While I've not heard that one, it is important to point out that all of the main characters are someone else's character that Amber was just given permission to use, and they've all grown and developed as their own characters since that day. Though, as always, Amber knows better than me.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Amber Williams

It is true there were several characters at the start of DMFA that were based off friends of mine.  While characters like Dan and Jyrras are pretty much mine for the sake of things, there are several characters who's ownership is still relatively the other individuals. Merlitz, Aaryanna and Azlan in particular come to mind as characters who I personally consider more the original owners than my own. (Wildy comes in close but in terms of hands-onlyness Wildy's owner has generally been very easygoing over the antics of her character in the comic)

If people really want the nitty gritty as to why Merlitz has never been featuered much even though he would probably be the best example of a being with decent abilities...its really two parts. The main one being that due to the fact I don't consider Merlitz my own character so much as someone else's, I feel less free to take liberties with the character and as a result the character's personality became crippled. Merlitz is, unfortunately, a very boring character in terms of personality.  Outside of him being the straight-man or the guy who gets annoyed at the other characters, he doesn't really have all that much interesting personality to him. And he likely never will because I don't feel comfortable using that character outside of general non-intrusive instances.  Hence partially why he got written to a very off distant character.  I will never be able to write Merlitz as a character I want to write because I would always have to worry about whether or not the original Merlitz is out there reading the comic and being upset at how his character is now being portrayed.

The same goes for Aaryanna and triply with Alexsi, who's original owner was no only a friend but who passed away due to cancer. Even though at this point I likely would have full rights to Alexsi...it feels INCREDIBLY unnerving doing stuff with Alexsi outside of general harmless...but ultimately boring instances.

All in all, it boils down to an unfortunate situation in that the reason some of the creature characters get more depth and interest is simply because I can get away with it. Characters like Dan, Abel, Lorenda, Mab, Jyrras, Kria, Dark Pegasus, Destania, Fa'Lina, even Regina...I can go to town and back with those characters without worrying about offending a secondary owner.  I can smack em around, drag em through the mud, take potshot jokes at their expense much easier. Where as characters like Alexsi, Merlitz, Aaryanna, Wildy, and Azlan will always have something holding them back to an extent.

So yeah...there is probably an issue where beings aren't getting as easily represented. And part of it is because the main being representatives are characters who I also have my hands tied in how to handle them...which has been resulting in my slowly trying to idle them to the side.  Where as the majority of Creature characters are fully my own so I have full leverage to go crazy with.  Which granted...like in the case of Devin...resulted in him getting his stupid head killed but then brought back later as an Undead.  But it's a freedom that I could never do with Merlitz or Aliyka.

In future comic projects, I have learned to avoid sprinkling too much other property into the pot.  However in DMFA's case, while I realize there is a dichotomy of interests thus it seems like there is a dichotomy of power...the solutions short of just a story arch of Beings slaughtering Creatures are not as easy to bring about overnight. Particularly with my update schedule.

JaxiD

I'm getting lost in translation, sorry.

I think any storyline involving beings would be pretty rad, or any race other than Cubi.

What I wanted to know was answered long ago in any case.

Sorry if this seems off topic but seeing as the topic was suposed to be about headwings it seems anything I say would fit in regardless of the topic. What I feel about DMFA, the most appealing part of the comic is the ideal of the universe it is set in.  It is why I keep reading it, because I want to know more about the world the characters are in. It is an amazing world with a very in depth and detailed story behind it, so I will read the comic because everything that you write is completely canon and just adds more to the Furae universe. The comics themselves are great, although as I don’t think in English I can’t actually understand most written jokes because of them being lost in translation.

So if someone can make someone who cannot understand jokes like a comedic comic, then that person must be doing something definitely right.

Mao

Quote from: Amber Williams on July 24, 2009, 12:49:20 PM
*character ownership commentary*

You know, every time this comes up, I'm always worried that it's touching a nerve with you.  I know that comment alone could spark rumors upon rumors but I really hope that it's just my imagination.

Gabi

Aww... too bad. I was looking forward to seeing more of Merlitz. But I understand that it's hard to write other people's characters. The few times I've thought about doing it I realized I just couldn't.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Scarydragon

As someone who enjoys a good story, and even more so, the mechanics behind said story, I found this thread, with all of it's various topic twists and tangents (and author/artist commentary) both highly informative, and highly entertaining.
A Scarydragon approaches!

[Attack]
>[Word Play]
     [Sarcasm]
     [Innuendo]
     [Backwards Logic]
     [Puns]
   >[Sarcasm]
  [Procrastinate]
  [Item]

Sofox

Quote from: Amber Williams on July 23, 2009, 11:56:17 PM
While the races play to an extent, I generally have always hoped the main focus would be on the individuals and the impacts they did moreso than the race in general.  And that it seems to not be the case based on the commentary and speculation means that this is probably a failing in my own storytelling which I will have to focus on fixing in the future.

Amber, to be honest, I've always gotten the DMFA is far more about the characters and their reactions to events then any sort of species/race divisions or categorizations. You've always just like playing around with personalities, with different races just being another thing in the mix that they deal with.
To be honest, I've always preferred character based stories. You gain insights into new ways at looking at the world, and events progress more naturally when they are motivated by a characters decisions and personality, rather then an author-ordained plot (not that plot can't be used or anything).

And yeah, it is ironic that when talking about different races which springs up ideas such as how cultures would be different, how society would stabalise itself, how to deal if you're a being invited to an all demon wedding (it's had to have happened in your universe at some point); that a lot of readers seem to focus on ye old "who would win in a fight?" It gets more rediculous when you consider a fight can have numerous variables from terrain to state of the fighters to reason to fight, pure unadulterated blind luck and so forth. The idea that one fighter would be "stronger" then another, on a general non specific basis covering all areas, as you've said is a very demonic concept.