03/15/09 [DMFA #982] - He has a point

Started by Jairus, March 15, 2009, 02:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Jairus

Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Cvstos

Quote from: Alondro on March 15, 2009, 07:11:14 PM
Oh noes!  Dan is about to get his heart ripped out!

Ooo.. maybe we'll get to see Hollow-form Dan now when his evil side takes over!  That would be the awesomest!   :boogie

Pfft. I wanna see blades rise out of the ground and hear someone say "Bankai. Scatter, Senbonzakura Kageyoshi."  ;)  That or see Dan flash-step behind DP and say "Hado Number 90: Kurohitsugi"

Although having an evil side *would* freak Dan out nicely. Hmmm... might be something to that idea there, Alondro!

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 15, 2009, 07:50:21 PM

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/dmfa/kria_payment.png

Pure. Win.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Michael Chandra

Quote from: Psy-Kosh on March 15, 2009, 03:26:01 PM
Hrm... I agree with the whole come on, no fair thing. If Dan's supposed to be this super skilled adventurer, _AND_ he's somewhat powered up since last time, _AND_ he's put down DP more than once already, we really ought to be seeing him not making elementry exploitable mistakes.
Eh, as I said before, I put the blame on that he's currently PISSED due to Regina.
And he should really fight with a weapon.

Naldru

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on March 15, 2009, 12:57:38 PM
I'm not sure why everyone seems to inicate that going to SAIA is such an ending to the strip. If he has Fi, he can pop in for a semester, take some classes, and then wander back home for a while. Te academic rigor of SAIA seems to be fairly limited, and I doubt that too many people would notice (and even less care.) if Dan took frequent vacations.
Since Dan has a warp-ACL, I don't see any reason why he couldn't go back to Lost Lake every night.  Based on Fa'lina's conversation with Abel, SAIA attempts to be flexible.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Cvstos on March 15, 2009, 09:48:31 PM
Pfft. I wanna see blades rise out of the ground and hear someone say "Bankai. Scatter, Senbonzakura Kageyoshi."  ;)  That or see Dan flash-step behind DP and say "Hado Number 90: Kurohitsugi"

What's up with all theses (I presume) japanese words? They mean absolutely nothing to me and I'm sure many others.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Jairus

Quote from: AmigaDragon on March 16, 2009, 03:10:33 AM

What's up with all theses (I presume) japanese words? They mean absolutely nothing to me and I'm sure many others.
It is a reference to the anime series "Bleach," about a group of shinigami ("death gods," basically the Grim Reaper) armed with zanpakutou ("Soul-cutting swords") who fight Hollows (basically malevolent ghosts). Zanpakutou have three forms at minimum: a sealed form, a shikai ("initial release"), and a bankai ("final release"), each of which has special abilities and is more powerful than the last.. In this case, the reference is to Byakuya Kuchiki, captain of the Sixth Division of the Shinigami squads, and his Zanpakutou "Senbonzakura" ("Thousand Cherry Blossoms"), which when released into its shikai form separates into hundreds of telepathically controlled tiny blades that catch the light and reflect it to make them look like cherry blossoms. In its bankai form, Senbonzakura becomes Senbonzakura Kageyoshi ("Vibrant Display of a Thousand Cherry Blossoms") which summons dozens of swords that divide into hundreds of thousands - if not millions - of tiny blades.

Flash step is simply the ability to move really freaking fast. To the point that you seem to teleport.

Hado ("way of destruction") are a subtype of Kido ("spirit way") which are magic spells. Number 90 basically summons a magical iron maiden to attack your opponent.

Does that all help?

EDIT: Why yes, I am a nerd. And to be fair, I cheated a little to help me get the translations right, so that the box does not attack me for not providing a translation for all of these foreign words. But I did know all of this stuff.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Jairus on March 16, 2009, 03:33:29 AM
Does that all help?

Not much. I get a whole 3 channels here and don't get such shows on any of them. I've seen some webcomics where someone is spouting similar nonsense while they're performing an attack. You don't announce your attack to your opponent, that gives him better chance to counter it.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Mao

Bleach is also in manga form, and iirc, was that way before the show.  3 channels or not you can check it out if you like. :)  Though I have to agree with you about the announcing of attacks.  While I can suspend my disbelief on them a bit (there are somethings you just can't escape) it just seems wrong.

Michael Chandra

Quote from: AmigaDragon on March 16, 2009, 04:05:01 AM
Does that all help?

Not much. I get a whole 3 channels here and don't get such shows on any of them. I've seen some webcomics where someone is spouting similar nonsense while they're performing an attack. You don't announce your attack to your opponent, that gives him better chance to counter it.
In this case it tends to be defended in the following ways:
1: Attacks with your weapons. They are living entities with names, so you need to be able to use the name to summon their power.
2: Magic spells. These have long incantations tied to them, the short versions only use the name for the incantation but are much weaker than the full version.
Also, 3: One Soul Reaper deliberately calls its blade by the wrong name so that it sulks and doesn't show its full power and real shape.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Naldru on March 15, 2009, 11:44:26 PM
Since Dan has a warp-ACL, I don't see any reason why he couldn't go back to Lost Lake every night.  Based on Fa'lina's conversation with Abel, SAIA attempts to be flexible.

However, since most students don't need to sleep the timetables can be really weird.  It might be better if he studied at night and returned during the day when his friends aren't all sleeping, or if he came home at weekends or something.

Not much. I get a whole 3 channels here and don't get such shows on any of them.
My understanding is that most people use less wholesome methods of getting the series...

foxxfurry

Hi if I may add my two cents worth, I believe that crack was DP's arm breaking and his scream as well.

Kenway975

Quote from: foxxfurry on March 16, 2009, 09:06:05 AM
Hi if I may add my two cents worth, I believe that crack was DP's arm breaking and his scream as well.

No disrespect intended, but please note that this is the thread for #982 while the one that you refer to is #983

Kenway975

hey, everyone makes mistakes. I've done the same thing on other boards so I understands.

Alondro

It is a reference to the anime series "Bleach," about a group of shinigami ("death gods," basically the Grim Reaper) armed with zanpakutou ("Soul-cutting swords") who fight Hollows (basically malevolent ghosts). Zanpakutou have three forms at minimum: a sealed form, a shikai ("initial release"), and a bankai ("final release"), each of which has special abilities and is more powerful than the last.. In this case, the reference is to Byakuya Kuchiki, captain of the Sixth Division of the Shinigami squads, and his Zanpakutou "Senbonzakura" ("Thousand Cherry Blossoms"), which when released into its shikai form separates into hundreds of telepathically controlled tiny blades that catch the light and reflect it to make them look like cherry blossoms. In its bankai form, Senbonzakura becomes Senbonzakura Kageyoshi ("Vibrant Display of a Thousand Cherry Blossoms") which summons dozens of swords that divide into hundreds of thousands - if not millions - of tiny blades.

Flash step is simply the ability to move really freaking fast. To the point that you seem to teleport.

Hado ("way of destruction") are a subtype of Kido ("spirit way") which are magic spells. Number 90 basically summons a magical iron maiden to attack your opponent.

Does that all help?

EDIT: Why yes, I am a nerd. And to be fair, I cheated a little to help me get the translations right, so that the box does not attack me for not providing a translation for all of these foreign words. But I did know all of this stuff.

*Charles points at Jarius*  NEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDD!!!

*uses the distraction to escape with his own nerdiness!*  Exit, stage right!   :intro
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

techmaster-glitch

I've seen some webcomics where someone is spouting similar nonsense while they're performing an attack. You don't announce your attack to your opponent, that gives him better chance to counter it.
WRONGSIR!
If you defeat your foe without giving your attacks Japanese names, you will require a do-over.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CallingYourAttacks
>:3

Malakin

No no  no, you allways name your attacks!

BUT you name them randomly and on the spot, extra points if you get the opponent to attempt to block the wrong sort of attack  >:3
"The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the
universe, as inevitable as your own last breath. And yet,
there remains time to create, to create, and escape.

Escape will make me God.
"

Buhamet

That pic further put the page was EPIC

Tapewolf

Buhamet

Lols

Just lols, some of those are seriously awesome

PhoenixMiranda

A thought occurs to me (and there are too many posts to which I'm replying so I'm not going to try to quote any of them):

(linked earlier in the thread but done here as well to make things easy) Dan's specialty, true to his clan, is pain.  He also gets a lot out of doing what is right for the good of many.

Now, as he sees it taking down Aliph permanently is what's best for the world in general.  And there's an awful lot of pain emanating from both himself and Aliph.  Even so, it almost looks like a draw.

But remember that Dan also just sucker-punched Regina in the face.  That's gotta hurt, and though it's not much compared to the combined effects of 1) being smashed in the face with a drinks tray and getting cut on the cheek by one of the broken glasses; 2) getting bruised up from using himself as a club to hit the magic doors with and then getting smacked halfway down the hall by the opening of said doors; 3) Aliph's damaged wing; 4) Aliph's claws embedded in Dan's chest; and 5) Aliph's mangled hand/wrist, it might just be the little extra boost Dan needs to get through this.

Then again, maybe not.  Can pain Cubi feed off their own pain, or does it only count if it's someone else's?  Good question, that.  (It also brings up the issue of self-inflicted pain, however, and I'm not sure I want to open that can of worms although I probably just did.)

Tapewolf

Quote from: PhoenixMiranda on March 19, 2009, 12:57:17 AM
Can pain Cubi feed off their own pain, or does it only count if it's someone else's?  Good question, that.  (It also brings up the issue of self-inflicted pain, however, and I'm not sure I want to open that can of worms although I probably just did.)

Read this - I suspect you'll find it interesting.

http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php/topic,2262.0.html

PhoenixMiranda

Thanks, Tapewolf.  No way am I going to be able to go through all the forum archives to see if something's already been addressed.  Even the Search function is of limited use unless you know exactly what you're looking for.

I'll have a good look at that thread later--after I get home from work most likely.

Tapewolf

Quote from: PhoenixMiranda on March 19, 2009, 01:57:27 PM
Thanks, Tapewolf.  No way am I going to be able to go through all the forum archives to see if something's already been addressed.  Even the Search function is of limited use unless you know exactly what you're looking for.

I'll have a good look at that thread later--after I get home from work most likely.

No problem.  We've tried to collect most of the interesting points in the wiki, in case you're wondering how I found it so fast.

PhoenixMiranda

Quote from: Amber WilliamsThere has been a couple cases where adventurers have tried walling up a Cubi in expectations of it starving to death only for hundreds of years later unwitting adventurers unearthing a severly pissed on who happened to have the option to feed on its own rage.  It's not the most common thing granted, but it is possible.

Emotion isn't the same kind of energy that normal energy is.  It doesn't come from a hamburger, it can't be stored.  In otherwords, your theory is going wrong because you assume that the emotional energy has to come from some form of reserve.  A better example would likely be comparing emotions to sunlight and the Cubi having a form of photosynthesis that enables them to create their own energy from it.

Ok so I went and looked at it anyway.  Was shorter than I'd thought it would be.  And it answers my question.  Didn't take as long to find as I'd expected.  And the source is the one who should know, no less!

So apparently, it is possible for Dan to be feeding off his own pain here, provided he's among the Cubi who possess the ability.  Though if he's actually figured out/been taught how to do that is as yet unknown.

Now the question remains:  Is Dan one of those Cubi?  And that thread didn't address the issue of self-inflicted pain (only one's own rage, which in the case of the walled Cubi is not self-inflicted), though if nobody wants to go there I can't say I blame them.

Oh yeah and I've seen the Wiki before...but I forgot about it and it was quite some time ago and there wasn't actually much information on it at the time.  :P

Tapewolf

Quote from: PhoenixMiranda on March 19, 2009, 02:24:48 PM
So apparently, it is possible for Dan to be feeding off his own pain here, provided he's among the Cubi who possess the ability.  Though if he's actually figured out/been taught how to do that is as yet unknown.

We don't know.  It has been suggested that Wildy smacking Azlan up with her staff when he died around 158 gave him enough pain to reboot, as it were.  That assumes that Amber had thought as far ahead as to make him a pain incubus even then, of course - it may just be coincidence/serendipity/retcon.

Whether he can use his own pain is unclear, but it might work.

PhoenixMiranda

Mmm...nope.  As of March 22, 2009, Dan cannot fuel himself on his own pain.

So either he is completely incapable of it, or it's just one of those talents that hasn't been unlocked yet.

Only time will tell, I suppose.

Also, it looks like Aliph hasn't completely lost his personality yet.

Tapewolf

Quote from: PhoenixMiranda on March 22, 2009, 06:16:09 AM
Mmm...nope.  As of March 22, 2009, Dan cannot fuel himself on his own pain.

Interestingly, it's implied by Ink in 528 that he can fuel himself on danger and justice.

PhoenixMiranda

Yep.  This has been brought up before.