03/15/09 [DMFA #982] - He has a point

Started by Jairus, March 15, 2009, 02:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corgatha Taldorthar

I'm not sure why everyone seems to inicate that going to SAIA is such an ending to the strip. If he has Fi, he can pop in for a semester, take some classes, and then wander back home for a while. Te academic rigor of SAIA seems to be fairly limited, and I doubt that too many people would notice (and even less care.) if Dan took frequent vacations.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 15, 2009, 12:52:29 PM
Quote from: Baal Hadad on March 15, 2009, 12:45:15 PM
I don't know if it kills the rest of the cast, but I think I understand what you mean.

When it looked like Dan was going to remain in SAIA, I was wondering how it would pan out.  At the time I pointed out that there were two ways of looking at the event if it happened:

1. Dan vanishes into SAIA and never appears again.  The strip is renamed to 'Mab's Furry Adventures'.

2. Dan goes into SAIA and returns.  350 years have elapsed.  Wildy, Alexsi, Biggs, Jyrras, Merlitz, Aliyka and the rats have all been dead and buried for more than two centuries.  He has no home unless the inn has been placed in some kind of trust for when he returns.  Mab, Azlan, Lorenda, Kria and Matilda are among the only survivors.

You may have a point, but I note that this comic has an ensemble cast, thus not every comic is about Dan somehow.  That being the case, I don't think it necessarily follows that either scenario you suggest must happen if Dan does go to SAIA full time.

Then again, I could be wrong....

Anacobra

*Registers and unlurks!*

Anyone notice the blue mark on Dan's shoulder in the final panel?

inuhanyo

Quote from: Anacobra on March 15, 2009, 02:50:19 PM
*Registers and unlurks!*

Anyone notice the blue mark on Dan's shoulder in the final panel?

Check the thread for 981.  We're figuring it's the beginning of Dan's clan mark

EDIT: And welcome!

Anacobra

Hate to doublepost, but, I posted in the wrong topic! Wow, first post to failure. Go me.

Curse you firefox tabs! :U

Tapewolf

Quote from: Anacobra on March 15, 2009, 02:52:59 PM
Hate to doublepost, but, I posted in the wrong topic! Wow, first post to failure. Go me.

Sorted.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

techmaster-glitch

I kind of agree with Janus and Cvstos on the first and second pages of this thread (four pages in ten hours overnight?!? What the frig is wrong with you people?), namely in the point that Dark Pegasus should--not--be--this--FRIKKEN--focused--and--COMPETANT. Well, maybe not for his combat abilities, but at least in the way he's taking to Dan right now AND seems to be going for a quick kill. The last time we saw him chronologically, he had to go through all his big gloating plans and such (admittedly it was mostly for the reader's benefit, but still...), and considering how that's supposed to get worse every time he's brought back, I expected HE should be dying right now, trying to spout his big evil plans while Dan's eviscerating him.

My point is, this is not the same villain as this villain. This villain also came before this one, after he's been rezzed at least once. As has been canonically stated, this gets worse every time as more of this is lost. However, this villain, which by all rights, should be even worse than this one, is somehow back to this, right after being rezzed again.

Shame and disappointment. Teh continuity and internal consistency has been broken :<

Raiettei

Anybody notice how Dan's headwings suddenly disappear in panel 3? You can kind of see their shape as little spikey ripples, but...

It's probably not that interesting, but I wanted to bring SOMETHING up.

EDIT: I messed up this post. I meant the tentacle head.

Pretty HUGE mistake  :3

Jairus

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on March 15, 2009, 03:00:40 PM
   I kind of agree with Janus and Cvstos on the first and second pages of this thread (four pages in ten hours overnight?!? What the frig is wrong with you people?), namely in the point that Dark Pegasus should--not--be--this--FRIKKEN--focused--and--COMPETANT. Well, maybe not for his combat abilities, but at least in the way he's taking to Dan right now AND seems to be going for a quick kill. The last time we saw him chronologically, he had to go through all his big gloating plans and such (admittedly it was mostly for the reader's benefit, but still...), and considering how that's supposed to get worse every time he's brought back, I expected HE should be dying right now, trying to spout his big evil plans while Dan's eviscerating him.

Shame and disappointment. Teh continuity and internal consistency has been broken :<
Or the passage of several years between his original appearance and the flashback and now means that Amber's characterization of him has altered slightly. Or we haven't gotten the whole story on DP quite yet.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Jairus on March 15, 2009, 03:10:20 PM

Or the passage of several years between his original appearance and the flashback and now means that Amber's characterization of him has altered slightly. Or we haven't gotten the whole story on DP quite yet.
you...cut...out...my...proof...

Jairus

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on March 15, 2009, 03:11:15 PM
Quote from: Jairus on March 15, 2009, 03:10:20 PM

you...cut...out...my...proof...

Fine.

My point is, this is not the same villain as this villain. This villain also came before this one, after he's been rezzed at least once. As has been canonically stated, this gets worse every time as more of this is lost. However, this villain, which by all rights, should be even worse than this one, is somehow back to this, right after being rezzed again.

There's your proof. Also, we don't KNOW what DP is losing every time he comes back! It doesn't have to be genre savviness that he's losing as time goes by: it could be something else, something beyond that. We just don't know, because we don't have the whole story yet. He has appeared three times in continuity, been mentioned a few times, and now we've got a little backstory. Whoop-dee-doo. Kria does not say that he's becoming less genre savvy, she says he's becoming less like himself, like he's losing a part of his soul or something. There could be something else he's losing that has no relation whatsoever to how he interacts with Dan. On top of that, Dan's fighting differently than he did the last time they fought, so DP's going to respond the same way. And I could be wrong. But since we don't have the whole story yet, we'll just have to wait and see.

Psy-Kosh

Hrm... I agree with the whole come on, no fair thing. If Dan's supposed to be this super skilled adventurer, _AND_ he's somewhat powered up since last time, _AND_ he's put down DP more than once already, we really ought to be seeing him not making elementry exploitable mistakes.

I like the notion that this is Dan setting up to do something unpleasant to DP though. Though the Cyra showing up has possibilities too. (But actually I like that less. This should be Dan's victory.)

Oh, one other thing: Several people here referred to Cyra as "she". Do we actually officially know Cyra's gender, or is that just someone guessing and others just going along with that?

Starcat5

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 15, 2009, 06:36:04 AM
*Snip*

*Looks at avatar* Oh dear lord, he's out of the box! Run for your lives! It's the end of the world, panic!  :explosion
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Tapewolf

Quote from: Psy-Kosh on March 15, 2009, 03:26:01 PM
Oh, one other thing: Several people here referred to Cyra as "she". Do we actually officially know Cyra's gender, or is that just someone guessing and others just going along with that?
I've not seen it myself, but there was apparently a picture floating around.  From what I hear tell, she was not wearing much.

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Jairus on March 15, 2009, 03:16:51 PM
There's your proof. Also, we don't KNOW what DP is losing every time he comes back! It doesn't have to be genre savviness that he's losing as time goes by: it could be something else, something beyond that. We just don't know, because we don't have the whole story yet. He has appeared three times in continuity, been mentioned a few times, and now we've got a little backstory. Whoop-dee-doo. Kria does not say that he's becoming less genre savvy, she says he's becoming less like himself, like he's losing a part of his soul or something. There could be something else he's losing that has no relation whatsoever to how he interacts with Dan. On top of that, Dan's fighting differently than he did the last time they fought, so DP's going to respond the same way. And I could be wrong. But since we don't have the whole story yet, we'll just have to wait and see.
Well, it -seems- pretty clear-cut to me... :<

Lowde

Quote from: Lowde on March 15, 2009, 02:42:31 AM
And I'm expecting a Lorenda's intervention right abooooooout now

So I'm the only one here that thinks this battle will stop in 1 or 2 strips and that noone is actually going to die?

I feel so lonely

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lowde on March 15, 2009, 04:15:26 PM
So I'm the only one here that thinks this battle will stop in 1 or 2 strips and that noone is actually going to die?

In a way, I kind of hope so.  llearch isn't the only one on the edge of his seat  :P

Corgatha Taldorthar

same here. I'm pretty sure that either Kria is going to break up the fight, or there will be a scene change, and while we're out we learn that Kria has broken up the fight. Possibly someone kicks the bucket and is brought back.

The laws of dramatics state that the characters are too cool to permanantly die here.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Shadowcatcher

Quote from: Lowde on March 15, 2009, 04:15:26 PM
Quote from: Lowde on March 15, 2009, 02:42:31 AM
And I'm expecting a Lorenda's intervention right abooooooout now

I feel so lonely
I'm expecting scene change.

Starcat5

Well, it's already past my bedtime, so I might as well post my own personal "Wild Mass Guessing".

1) Every time DP is brought back, part of his personality is lost.
1a) This most likely caused the lack of Genre Savvy in Dan's last battle with him as opposed to his first.

2) After this last return, he suddenly became fully Genre Savvy again.

3) In addition, his wounds aren't bleeding as badly as they should.
3a) In fact, one has to wonder if he's feeling them at all. That grunt in panel 1 could have been from exertion.

4) Regina did the resurrection spell. That sends up some red flags in and of itself.

Conclusion: Regina screwed up the spell. DP now has all of his personality/soul/whatever back, at the cost of his pulse. I guess he has a lot more in common with his adopted nephew D'R, now.  >:3
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: starcat5 on March 15, 2009, 04:55:35 PM
Well, it's already past my bedtime, so I might as well post my own personal "Wild Mass Guessing".

1a) This most likely caused the lack of Genre Savvy in Dan's last battle with him as opposed to his first.

3a) In fact, one has to wonder if he's feeling them at all. That grunt in panel 1 could have been from exertion.

4) Regina did the resurrection spell. That sends up some red flags in and of itself.

Conclusion: Regina screwed up the spell. DP now has all of his personality/soul/whatever back, at the cost of his pulse. I guess he has a lot more in common with his adopted nephew D'R, now.  >:3

Or Regina is secretly Dee! And she uses her awesome powers to completely restore DP. (I would think that the loss of personality is not an intended effect of the spell.)

Please note, I'm not serious about this, although I'm pretty sure someone will consider taking it up.......

Shadowcatcher

Something else to consider: this arc could end with Dan being defeated and captured by DP.  That could give DP quite a bargaining chip to hold against Cyra clan (if the clan actually values him any) or Destania.

Jairus

Quote from: Shadowcatcher on March 15, 2009, 05:04:09 PM
Something else to consider: this arc could end with Dan being defeated and captured by DP.  That could give DP quite a bargaining chip to hold against Cyra clan (if the clan actually values him any) or Destania.

*cue Jyrras smashing the house apart with his new mecha gryphon, which reveals an array of "seed throwers" and "mining lasers" and "demolition tubes"* "Put. Him. DOWN."

Sorry, couldn't resist. Of course, Mab could always show up and interfere if it came to that... or Pyroduck. Albeit, it might not come to that. Amber's been pretty good about this so far.

Shadowcatcher

Possible.  Don't forget Dan's ritual (he's supposed to be a priest afterall) that was supposed to keep him from coming back to life -- "stay dead" was part of it.  I suspect he's back as an Undead Demon, and just hasn't realized it yet.  And what an irony, becoming what he hates most.  And might explain why he seems to be acting completely refreshed and lucid in such short order.

techmaster-glitch

Heh, glad to know someone else sees this

Hmmm. That could be a plausible explanation...though I think it's very unlikely, considering if you get a piece of your soul wrenched away from you while in transit back to the lively world, I imagine it would be permanent and irrevocable.

Shadowcatcher

Quote from: Jairus on March 15, 2009, 05:09:00 PM
*cue Jyrras smashing the house apart with his new mecha gryphon, which reveals an array of "seed throwers" and "mining lasers" and "demolition tubes"* "Put. Him. DOWN."

Sorry, couldn't resist. Of course, Mab could always show up and interfere if it came to that... or Pyroduck. Albeit, it might not come to that. Amber's been pretty good about this so far.

No one knows where he is though.   So until Fi becomes aware of the situation, or if Lorenda decides to step in, there's no chance of any backup.

Gildedtongue

Amber kills time for 17 more strips, and in strip 1,000, Dark Pegasus goes Kali Ma on Dan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9HztgEj2Qo

Strip ends, Mab stops freaking out every update, and readers are left with brain hemorrhages.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gildedtongue on March 15, 2009, 05:27:47 PM
Amber kills time for 17 more strips, and in strip 1,000, Dark Pegasus goes Kali Ma on Dan:
Strip ends, Mab stops freaking out every update, and readers are left with brain hemorrhages.

You forgot "auction winner takes Mab to small claims court"...

Junker

My prediction: Fi, sensing Dan is injured, warps him to safety, thus letting DP and Regina escape, OR, DP beats up Dan and gets away with Regina.
Either way, despite the build-up, I sense a let-down coming.

Alondro

Oh noes!  Dan is about to get his heart ripped out!

Ooo.. maybe we'll get to see Hollow-form Dan now when his evil side takes over!  That would be the awesomest!   :boogie
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif