03/15/09 [DMFA #982] - He has a point

Started by Jairus, March 15, 2009, 02:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cvstos

When is Dan actually going to win a fight? Seriously. Isn't he supposed to be an adventurer? Because he is NOT acting like it. He didn't even bring his freaking sword.

When the hero loses once or twice for story purposes, that's one thing. But getting beaten and humiliated time and again and again and again, it's extremely frustrating. Having wins and losses is great. Having flawed wins is also great. But outright losing or getting humiliated like this so many times... it's frustrating at the very least. Even if he somehow managed to beat DP now, the thunder is done and gone. It was taken with that extremely dire blow.

(Also, doesn't this one kinda blow past the PG rating?)
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on March 15, 2009, 03:24:59 AM
Or Cubi tentacles can become sharp enough to cut diamond. Which would be awesome. And regarding the drawing thing... welcome to my world. Though, to be fair, Amber is well practiced at this by now.

They can go through rock, metal etc if you're good with them.  Dan isn't.

Quote from: Cvstos on March 15, 2009, 03:46:09 AM
When is Dan actually going to win a fight? Seriously. Isn't he supposed to be an adventurer? Because he is NOT acting like it. He didn't even bring his freaking sword.
Well, it's not over yet.  For all we know Dan's about to tentacle his heart or lop his head off from behind.

Also, he can summon swords.

Quote(Also, doesn't this one kinda blow past the PG rating?)
IMHO, yes it does.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Baal Hadad on March 15, 2009, 03:10:26 AM
Ahem....

...but then he had his magical robe, which he no longer does....

The robe wasn't enchanted against physical attacks, just magical. And there's no sign that anyone's using magic in this fight yet. Dan might not know enough (and has a childhood aversion to it) and DP might be too freshly raised to use any.

DP has delivered a painful blow, but it won't be fatal.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Turnsky

Dan's like some candy, hard shell with a soft center, and that's easy to get at provided you have the right tools.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Tapewolf

Finally found it!  Regarding the tentacles:

http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php/topic,4352.msg185383.html#msg185383

"The basic rule to follow is 'if you have to learn to do it, its magic. If you have the ability to do it naturally, its a natural ability'  Yeah...Dan will have to learn how to use his shapeshifting and wing tentacles well...but the ability to do them come naturally. "

Quote from: Turnsky on March 15, 2009, 03:53:49 AM
Dan's like some candy, hard shell with a soft center, and that's easy to get at provided you have the right tools.
And DP isn't?

MT Hazard

Neat sound effect for the stabbing. 'kinch' like a cross between krunch and pinch with a bit of knife like sound in there as well.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Hellcat

The way I see it, it is only M if there is swearing and guts are exposed.... and the occasional sexual innuendo... or maybe thats MA

inuhanyo

Quote from: Cogidubnus on March 15, 2009, 03:33:58 AM
My my. Is that bone I see on DP's arm? Nasty cut.

I hope that's not his thumb in Dan's heart, though.

Yeah, he's trying to rip Dan's heart out.  Not penetrating as deeply as I'd expect, though.

If Dan controls DP's attacking arm, and says "Pain... makes me stronger!"; DP should start to worry.

If Dan's eyes start glowing, watch out!

When the hero loses once or twice for story purposes, that's one thing. But getting beaten and humiliated time and again and again and again, it's extremely frustrating. Having wins and losses is great. Having flawed wins is also great. But outright losing or getting humiliated like this so many times... it's frustrating at the very least. Even if he somehow managed to beat DP now, the thunder is done and gone. It was taken with that extremely dire blow.

Hey, a hero is measured by what he overcomes.  Offing Regina is so easy it's meaningless now.  (Well, I admit to schadenfreude, Regina soundly deserves to die in pain and terror.)  DP needs to be a challange.  I want to see Dan win despite this!

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 15, 2009, 03:49:09 AM
Quote from: Jairus on March 15, 2009, 03:24:59 AM
Or Cubi tentacles can become sharp enough to cut diamond. Which would be awesome. And regarding the drawing thing... welcome to my world. Though, to be fair, Amber is well practiced at this by now.

Dan was putting some deep cuts into stone columns, back in 974.  I don't doubt that Dan can get better.   But he's doing damage to DP now.

Tyranastrasz

Quote from: Hellcat on March 15, 2009, 03:45:49 AM
Cyra clan symbol! We're gonna see magic! YAY!

I wonder if Dan's going to send a rock flying into DP's face, heh...

Well, it's not over yet.  For all we know Dan's about to tentacle his heart or lop his head off from behind.

That tentacle in the background on the right side of panel one would be perfectly positioned for either of those actions, assuming Dan getting grabbed/stabbed by DP didn't cause it to move, retract, or otherwise no longer be of use.

jeffh4

Uh. Guys?

I just looked at the Cast Page for Dark Pegsus, and it now shows his status as "alive".  What's more, he's been promoted from "Random Goer" to "Main Character" and the title graphic on the cast page now reads "Aliph and Mab's Furry Adventures."

. . . . . .

Nah. Just kidding!   :mowtongue

jeffh4

As far as Aliph's tactic's go, he had a very sound strategy. Draw in Dan by protecting himself with his wings, sustain some light damage, and then strike. 

Keep in mind that Dan's been dead before, though I don't think he will be getting out of this one by Amber Ex Machina continuity break.

Tapewolf

Quote from: inuhanyo on March 15, 2009, 04:05:49 AM
Yeah, he's trying to rip Dan's heart out.  Not penetrating as deeply as I'd expect, though.
That might indicate that it's a demonstration rather than a death-blow.

QuoteIf Dan's eyes start glowing, watch out!
Indeed - what happened to Hennya can happen to DP too.  Though it's looking less likely.

Dan was putting some deep cuts into stone columns, back in 974.  I don't doubt that Dan can get better.   But he's doing damage to DP now.

Again, my above post from Amber:
"Dan will have to learn how to use his shapeshifting and wing tentacles well...but the ability to do them come naturally. "

As I understand it from what Amber's been saying, Dan will be able to go right through granite - but only with sufficient instruction, which he doesn't have.

Quote from: Tyranastrasz on March 15, 2009, 04:08:11 AM
That tentacle in the background on the right side of panel one would be perfectly positioned for either of those actions, assuming Dan getting grabbed/stabbed by DP didn't cause it to move, retract, or otherwise no longer be of use.

It might also jerk as a reflex action to the pain.  Indeed it might be more dangerous like that - people can often do things in dire situations which they can't normally do.

Michael Chandra

Quote from: Baal Hadad on March 15, 2009, 03:10:26 AM
Quote from: tiggertoo on March 15, 2009, 03:04:35 AM
[...] since he's handled DP several times before as just a being.

Ahem....

...but then he had his magical robe, which he no longer does...
In the last fight with DP, his confrontation in the early chapters, he took off the robe and fought DP with a sword. However, DP right now has his claws, as back then, and Dan has no weapon. Under better conditions they tied, so even with the advantage of his wings he's too vulnerable right now.

In Dan's defense, he's still rather pissed off due to Regina, which is why right now he ain't thinking straight. Of course if he remembers to pull a weapon or two from mid-air, his odds will turn.

Also: Fanboy Squeel at the Clan Marking! Thanks for the heads-up, totally missed that. :)

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 15, 2009, 03:54:24 AM
Finally found it!  Regarding the tentacles:

http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php/topic,4352.msg185383.html#msg185383

"The basic rule to follow is 'if you have to learn to do it, its magic. If you have the ability to do it naturally, its a natural ability'  Yeah...Dan will have to learn how to use his shapeshifting and wing tentacles well...but the ability to do them come naturally. "

Quote from: Turnsky on March 15, 2009, 03:53:49 AM
And DP isn't?

but why would you want to get to his squishy center?.. it'd be like cracking the rotten egg that he is!  >:3

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on March 15, 2009, 04:17:12 AM
but why would you want to get to his squishy center?.. it'd be like cracking the rotten egg that he is!  >:3
Well, if you suck it all out, he's kind of not alive no more.  Though you do then have DP filling spread everywhere.

Kipiru

Wow, this strip is intense- bones protruding, blood splashing! Don't give up Dan!

tiggertoo

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 15, 2009, 04:19:07 AM
Well, if you suck it all out, he's kind of not alive no more.  Though you do then have DP filling spread everywhere.
Ah, but the quickest way to a man's heart is through his stomach -- then cut upwards through the ribcage.

Turnsky

Quote from: tiggertoo on March 15, 2009, 04:25:54 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on March 15, 2009, 04:19:07 AM
Ah, but the quickest way to a man's heart is through his stomach -- then cut upwards through the ribcage.

actually it's with a .50cal.  >:3

Royden

I'm really sorry, serious debates aside and all...

Am I the only one who saw what DP did and think instantly "Kali Ma..."?

LoneHowler

Quote from: Royden on March 15, 2009, 04:29:10 AM

Nope ^^ total Indiana Jones esque thoughts going on there
Yes I know I'm a horrid speller queen of typos but dang it, I'm trying to get better
MY warp aci crappy photoshop I wish I had my tablet working
My Yappty thanks Silver :)
(hmm my sig needs updating. eeeeeh I'll do it later 07/29/06)

Turnsky

Quote from: Royden on March 15, 2009, 04:29:10 AM

actually, i thought "HEART!"  >:3

!KCA

Dan calls upon his deepest reserves for the strength to win this fight.

. . .And Cyra answers.

Michael Chandra

This comic calls to mind the following question: Where is Destania's clan marking? My first guess would be her upper right arm, but that whatever-you-call-it around that spot is also on other Cubi so it might just be a symbol representing position. Wonder if it's on a PG spot or not.

Speaking of PG, not sure if this comic fits it, but I just saw Gee crying in a corner, who let her in?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Dan should have listened to Aaryanna - he should have used his wings more...

Nice artwork, though, Amber. On the edge of my seat, here...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Terrion

This could turn out good or bad for Dan (or possibly even both).

One the one hand, he's getting his version of the cubi tripple esspresso (sp?) in pain, the thrill of being in a dangerous situation, and doing the right thing for the good of many (fighting either Aliph or Regina would count on that matter). So Dan's reception bands for the energy cubi feed on should be wide open and soaking up power like a sponge.

Add to this is the now demonstrated fact that Dan's tendils can cause serious damage to an experienced demon who is expecting a fight. And don't try to tell me that Aliph wasn't expecting to fight a cubi.  Unless Regina was really stupid and didn't tell her uncle at least that much upon reviving him - then again, this is Regina we're taling about here...  >:3

On the other hand, Aliph has his claws in Dan's sternum. And his other hand is still free to go under the sternum for an even more vulnerable path to Dan's squishy innards.

And Regina is not out. Whether or not she'll have the good sense to stay out of the fight is another matter. I kinda picture her doing or saying something that ends up accidentally turbocharging the cubi right next to her that just happens to feed on pain, danger, and a sense of justi...

:eek

I just realized that Dan doesn't have just himself as an immeiate source of those three emotional states inthis battle! Aliph is at least feeling pain, and Regina is likely feeling all three herself. Even if her sense of justice is a bit scewed - I don't know if "for the good of Regina" would be anywhere near an addequate substitute for "the good of many...

Granted, all that excess energy coming in would likely cause Dan to have another headache. Which is more pain, and thus a greater channel for the influx...

Anyway, Dan may be in potentially lethal trouble right now, but Aliph just made a terrible mistake of his own. Don't play with the guy who can power-up from his own pain!  >:3

Tapewolf

Quote from: !KCA on March 15, 2009, 06:21:04 AM
Dan calls upon his deepest reserves for the strength to win this fight.
. . .And Cyra answers.

Something like that had occurred to me, whether clan members can feel each other, or whether Cyra can feel it when someone gets their clanmark.

It would be an interesting encounter because it would reinforce Regina and Devin's belief that Dan was acting as Her emmissary.

icarus

if captain planet could show not only blood (and copious amounts) on screen but also an on-screen death by drug overdose

i think amber's still golden

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that

Tapewolf

Just wondering - it looks a little bit like DP is straining in the last panel.  That's probably overanalysing the artwork, but if not he might not yet have regained full strength.

There are a number of factors that could assist Dan in this, his time of need.  Kria might not like having her new toy broken, Lorenda certainly won't like it and Abel won't like it either (he has training).
Even Fi can't be dim enough to ignore what's going on here - the only question is how long it will take for it to see this and fetch him.

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 15, 2009, 09:02:12 AM
Just wondering - it looks a little bit like DP is straining in the last panel.  That's probably overanalysing the artwork, but if not he might not yet have regained full strength.

There are a number of factors that could assist Dan in this, his time of need.  Kria might not like having her new toy broken, Lorenda certainly won't like it and Abel won't like it either (he has training).
Even Fi can't be dim enough to ignore what's going on here - the only question is how long it will take for it to see this and fetch him.

one fatal flaw in this idea, Tape.. blood.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on March 15, 2009, 09:09:00 AM
one fatal flaw in this idea, Tape.. blood.
You quoted about five ideas which confused me at first, but for Abel, yes.  That might not do  him much good.   Though honestly?  DP isn't bleeding as much as he could/should be.