03/15/09 [DMFA #982] - He has a point

Started by Jairus, March 15, 2009, 02:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akisohida

Would be kinda funny if Abel was fetched and his past with Dans family line caused him to flip and ignore the blood.

Though it does look like Dans clan symbol is appearing, yay! I'd laugh if he grabbed the claw in his chest, pulled it out, and then used a hand to give DP a face full of energy blast. 'You blasted it in the face!'
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Jack McSlay

DP's cast page still says he's dead (altough I think amber'- just forgetful) and it seems he has one horn less as well
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on March 15, 2009, 09:09:00 AM
one fatal flaw in this idea, Tape.. blood.

Now that I think about it, it's not a flaw in my idea.  It's more a flaw in Abel's idea  >:3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Shadowcatcher

Quote from: Akisohida on March 15, 2009, 09:36:17 AM
Would be kinda funny if Abel was fetched and his past with Dans family line caused him to flip and ignore the blood.

Though it does look like Dans clan symbol is appearing, yay! I'd laugh if he grabbed the claw in his chest, pulled it out, and then used a hand to give DP a face full of energy blast. 'You blasted it in the face!'

I think we're all expecting a little too much from Dan here.

Lucheek

I don't think Dan's down and out yet, and need of a rescue. I'm rooting he comes back and kills DP once and for all.

Yay Dan! :boogie

FreeFull

Dan will probably try to use his wings to protect himself. The pain probably just made him realise how angry he was since he didn't even think how to attack before doing so.

Shadowcatcher

Quote from: Lucheek on March 15, 2009, 09:55:27 AM
I don't think Dan's down and out yet, and need of a rescue. I'm rooting he comes back and kills DP once and for all.

Yay Dan! :boogie

All depends on what happens in the next page.  It's too hard to tell how much damage this blow did.  I don't see any reason why DP would hold back like he did the very very first time.

As for the clan mark starting to show, yeah, that has me very curious.  He's not using magic, so what is the catalyst?

Shadowcatcher

And just a random thought - what if Dan is not getting pain energy from DP, because he's lost so much of himself from being resurrected so many times that he doesn't 'feel' anymore?  Is the successive loss of the ability to feel emotions the part that Kria noticed each time?

Maybe repeated resurrections turn you into a Vulcan.

FreeFull

Quote from: Shadowcatcher on March 15, 2009, 10:07:12 AMMaybe repeated resurrections turn you into a Vulcan.

Let's hope he won't know the Vulcan Pinch.

SpottedKitty

Quote from: Michael Chandra on March 15, 2009, 06:22:34 AM

Where is Destania's clan marking? My first guess would be her upper right arm,

I very much doubt it, what reason would she have to cover up her marking in such a deliberate way while she's in SAIA? It's probably on some other spot we've always seen covered by clothes that she hasn't shapeshifted out of her own body. I wonder if Dan knows where it is?

Quote from: Michael Chandra on March 15, 2009, 06:22:34 AM

Wonder if it's on a PG spot or not.

IIRC the place is pretty much random and not inherited, so there have to be some 'Cubi with... erm... rarely seen markings. Remember Abel didn't seem surprised about the position of what he thought was Dan's marking, only that it didn't look like one he'd ever seen before.
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

joshofspam

While I don't think Dan is going to pull a "by the power of greyskull" and totally thrash DP. I do believe if he manages to keep conscious he will be capable of pulling away from DP.

Maybe he can finally get that rock trick with magic to work with Regina as ammunition. :P

While I believe he'll get a power boost from this. I don't know if it will give him much strength other than a breath breather with that kind of damage and I think Dan could really use one now.

I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

inuhanyo

Quote from: Shadowcatcher on March 15, 2009, 10:07:12 AM
And just a random thought - what if Dan is not getting pain energy from DP, because he's lost so much of himself from being resurrected so many times that he doesn't 'feel' anymore?  Is the successive loss of the ability to feel emotions the part that Kria noticed each time?

Maybe repeated resurrections turn you into a Vulcan.

It sure looked like DP made a grunt of pain in the first panel.  "Same as ...NNG!  The first time we fought...

Quote from: Shadowcatcher on March 15, 2009, 10:04:19 AM
As for the clan mark starting to show, yeah, that has me very curious.  He's not using magic, so what is the catalyst?

Quote from: !KCA on March 15, 2009, 06:21:04 AM
Dan calls upon his deepest reserves for the strength to win this fight.

. . .And Cyra answers.
!KCA may be on the mark, or very close.

Tapewolf

Quote from: !KCA on March 15, 2009, 06:21:04 AM
. . .And Cyra answers.

Oh, now that would be such a good name for an album.

Quote from: inuhanyo on March 15, 2009, 10:54:56 AM
!KCA may be on the mark, or very close.

If Cyra Herself personally manifests, DP will be very, very lucky if he winds up stuffed in a desk-lamp or is given to Dan as a necklace.

I'm starting to wondering whether Dee might show up, though.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/dmfa/biggs2c.png

Anri

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 15, 2009, 04:11:35 AM
As I understand it from what Amber's been saying, Dan will be able to go right through granite - but only with sufficient instruction, which he doesn't have.

So basically Dan's current powers shouldn't be taken for granite. I guess he just got stonewalled.

rabid_fox

Golly, wouldn't we all be surprised if Dan got killed off and the 1000th strip was the last one ever.

Well, I wouldn't be surprised, having now postulated it as a possibility.

This is like ruining Christmas all over again.

Oh dear.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 15, 2009, 09:02:12 AM
Just wondering - it looks a little bit like DP is straining in the last panel.  That's probably overanalysing the artwork, but if not he might not yet have regained full strength.

Lets assume for the moment that wings and fur aside, Dan is built kind of like an ordinary human. DP's index finger claw and possibly his other fingers that we can't see are cutting through the skin stretched over Dan's collarbone. That wouldn't be too damaging in and of itself, but if he penetrates deeply enough, he could cut Dan's left lung, which would be fatal in a few minutes.

The crunch sound is probably his thumb penetrating Dan's sternum. I've done knife excercizes against this ballistic gel/some bonelike substance and I can tell you, it takes considerable strength to push a knife through a bone. I would think a claw wouldn't be much different. Tha's probably where the strain is coming from, just pure physical exertion.

In and of itself, a sternum stab probably isnt fatal. It does have the possibility though of *seriously* messing up the rest of the ribcage though, which would leave Dan in horrific pain and probably unable to fight unless he has a really good endorphin generator.

Overanalysis to the rescue! Up up and awaaaaaaaaaaaaay
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Tapewolf

Quote from: rabid_fox on March 15, 2009, 11:25:01 AM
Golly, wouldn't we all be surprised if Dan got killed off and the 1000th strip was the last one ever.

I imagine whoever won the cameo auction would probably want their money back  :B

Will Dan die?  It's not impossible.  He's died before, though not for very long.  And again, Kria knows how to resurrect DP.  That Lorenda might demand she revives Dan is perfectly plausible.

What intrigues me, if Dan is left clinically dead, is whether Fi would disappear in a puff of smoke, or whether it is still kind-of bound to Fa'Lina.

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 15, 2009, 11:43:37 AM
What intrigues me, if Dan is left clinically dead, is whether Fi would disappear in a puff of smoke, or whether it is still kind-of bound to Fa'Lina.
Nuuuuuuuu! Don't send Fi back!

Maybe strip 1000 is where Dan learns that Dark Pegasus is his father?
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

inuhanyo

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on March 15, 2009, 11:35:23 AM
In and of itself, a sternum stab probably isn't fatal. It does have the possibility though of *seriously* messing up the rest of the ribcage though, which would leave Dan in horrific pain and probably unable to fight unless he has a really good endorphin generator.

Overanalysis to the rescue! Up up and awaaaaaaaaaaaaay

After the last time Dan and DP fought, the pain Wildy inflicted on Azlan was enough to restart Dan's heart and pull him back from death's door.  Dan feeds on pain, it makes him stronger.  Will that be enough to overcome the debilitating effects of pain?  I guess we'll find out Monday.

Naldru

Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Tapewolf

Madmann135

Quote from: inuhanyo on March 15, 2009, 12:11:23 PM
After the last time Dan and DP fought, the pain Wildy inflicted on Azlan was enough to restart Dan's heart and pull him back from death's door.  Dan feeds on pain, it makes him stronger.  Will that be enough to overcome the debilitating effects of pain?  I guess we'll find out Monday.

I was thinking the same thing.  Lets not forget that Dan's emotion/power vacuum was not on at full strength at the time so he was not getting the full effect of his cubi heritage.  In addition if you compare Dan's eyes from panel 2 to panel 3 you might notice that they appear brighter.
On a side note if Dan is going down he does have Lorenda on his side to stop DP... Kira still appears to have a (momentary) crush on our poor little incubus.

On a side note in Dan's favor Lets not forget what Abel can do with magic.  Knowing Dan's personality and the response, that would be one of the first spells Dan convinced Abel to teach him.  ...So from a claw in the chest to Alph being a sword pincushion.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Madmann135 on March 15, 2009, 12:20:45 PM
I was thinking the same thing.  Lets not forget that Dan's emotion/power vacuum was not on at full strength at the time so he was not getting the full effect of his cubi heritage.  In addition if you compare Dan's eyes from panel 2 to panel 3 you might notice that they appear brighter.

I assumed his eyes had gone funny because he was being killed, but you may be into something there.  If they go entirely green in the next page, things should get very interesting.

Baal Hadad

Whatever happens here, I very much think this is going to be a turning point of some kind in this comic--things have changed too much (and the chapter is too long) for it to go the episodic route of mainstream sitcoms.

Dan going to SAIA at last, Abel reunited with Devin, whatever--I very much doubt things will be the same again, just as they weren't after Dan found out he was an incubus in the first place.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Baal Hadad on March 15, 2009, 12:28:01 PM
Whatever happens here, I very much think this is going to be a turning point of some kind in this comic--things have changed too much (and the chapter is too long) for it to go the episodic route of mainstream sitcoms.

Definitely a turning point in that Dan is finally embracing his heritage, no question of that.  However it doesn't mean that the strip can't go back to being less serious for a stretch.  IIRC Shakespeare tended to have comedic moments after the heavier scenes...

QuoteDan going to SAIA at last, Abel reunited with Devin, whatever--I very much doubt things will be the same again, just as they weren't after Dan found out he was an incubus in the first place.
I don't see Dan going full-time yet, as that essentially kills most of the cast.  He is obligated to visit SAIA one month out of every year or else Fa'Lina will do to him what he wants to do to Regina.  I had at one point considered that this time would clash with the month Kria gave him to cremate DP, but that seems to have gone by the wayside. 

Now that I think about it Kria did promise to put DP back in the grave for one month.  Nothing was said about him being dead when that happened.

Madmann135

Something just came to mind... the clan marking does signify many a things.
Personally I think DP is in trouble because of it and here is the theory behind my belief.  
OK...

Abel said Clan marking pear as the user's magic increases, by the same note Dan has not performed any magic since he was young.  So in order for his clan marking to appear he must have been doing some serous training and practicing with magic, more so than most and going by the theory that Dan has not slept since he got back from SAIA he could have been practicing while everyone else was sleeping.  Also as Abel said it is implied that the clan marking appears as the user casts magic.  Lets not forget Dan's lessons learned from round 1 with DP, and how DP implied that Dan has reverted to his original emotion driven state.
So I'm thinking Dan got in close with DP only to distract him from the real attack.  A sound plan (but high gamble), lure your opponent in with what they want you to do and make it seam as if you are falling into their hand, then counter attack with everything you got the moment their guard is down.

Amber is an impressive story teller, artist and strategist.  She knows how to place in those little hints that make everything all clear as the story progresses.  She also makes one think on what is happening in the story.

Personally I like it when Amber switches from a serious story to a comical comic.  If DMFA was all comedy then not much story nor action would take place, if it was 100% seriousness then that would not be as fun

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 15, 2009, 12:37:51 PM
Quote from: Baal Hadad on March 15, 2009, 12:28:01 PM

Definitely a turning point in that Dan is finally embracing his heritage, no question of that.  However it doesn't mean that the strip can't go back to being less serious for a stretch.  IIRC Shakespeare tended to have comedic moments after the heavier scenes...

I just meant that there's no way this can all be "wrapped up as if it had never happened to begin with," which is what mainstream sitcoms tend to do by the end of each episode (or two-parter, if those exist, or whatever).  Certainly the strip can go back to being less serious, especially if Amber does another "non-canonical" chapter that's just her embracing her silly side.  Plus, as you say, it would definitely lighten the mood after all this....

QuoteDan going to SAIA at last, Abel reunited with Devin, whatever--I very much doubt things will be the same again, just as they weren't after Dan found out he was an incubus in the first place.
I don't see Dan going full-time yet, as that essentially kills most of the cast.  He is obligated to visit SAIA one month out of every year or else Fa'Lina will do to him what he wants to do to Regina.  I had at one point considered that this time would clash with the month Kria gave him to cremate DP, but that seems to have gone by the wayside. 

Now that I think about it Kria did promise to put DP back in the grave for one month.  Nothing was said about him being dead when that happened.

I don't know if it kills the rest of the cast, but I think I understand what you mean.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Baal Hadad on March 15, 2009, 12:45:15 PM
I don't know if it kills the rest of the cast, but I think I understand what you mean.

When it looked like Dan was going to remain in SAIA, I was wondering how it would pan out.  At the time I pointed out that there were two ways of looking at the event if it happened:

1. Dan vanishes into SAIA and never appears again.  The strip is renamed to 'Mab's Furry Adventures'.

2. Dan goes into SAIA and returns.  350 years have elapsed.  Wildy, Alexsi, Biggs, Jyrras, Merlitz, Aliyka and the rats have all been dead and buried for more than two centuries.  He has no home unless the inn has been placed in some kind of trust for when he returns.  Mab, Azlan, Lorenda, Kria and Matilda are among the only survivors.

inuhanyo

Kind of implied by canceling the ceremony.  All obsolete now. Snicker: "Sister, what do you think you're doing?"

Since we know very little about Furrae's calendar, and Fa'Lina never said which month Dan had to go to SAIA, the odds of the two months completely overlapping is pretty low.

I was kind of hoping to see Dan lead a party back to DP's grave and cremate him, but I'll get over it.

Angel

Oh noes.  :<

Thankfully, this time the audience isn't suspended over a boiling cauldron and may therefore stop Aliph from doing all this. But still. This is ... foreboding. And I LIKES it.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!