02/03/09 [PF #54] - Well, at least he's taking it well.

Started by Jairus, March 02, 2009, 03:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GabrielsThoughts

yes that box of shipping popcorn in the back, I don't know how I could have possibly missed such an obvious cameo.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Tapewolf

Niall's eye was really annoying me in the second panel, so I figured I may as well kill two stones with one bird.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

AmigaDragon

I've looked at this one 3-4 times before noticing Boxen. I also missed looking at the caption "That which kills you makes you stronger", reminds me of Obiwan's comments to Vader in their last fight.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Tapewolf

Quote from: AmigaDragon on March 03, 2009, 02:14:18 PM
I've looked at this one 3-4 times before noticing Boxen. I also missed looking at the caption "That which kills you makes you stronger", reminds me of Obiwan's comments to Vader in their last fight.

It's Nietzsche, actually.  The original quote (*) is "That which does not kill us makes us stronger".
I must confess that I got the idea after seeing Conan the Barbarian which starts with the quote in the opening titles.

*Well, the common rendition.  The original was presumably in German.

Kipiru

The way Dorcan opened up reminded me of this- I'm still giggling! Only difference- Dorcan would be requesting a shirt :)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kipiru on March 04, 2009, 07:05:35 AM
The way Dorcan opened up reminded me of this- I'm still giggling! Only difference- Dorcan would be requesting a shirt :)

"I find your lack of pants... disturbing."

As for Dorcan, the design for his appearance was originally cribbed from this strip:  http://missmab.com/Demo/Cubi03.php   ...as I have no doubt mentioned before.

...so I guess the idea of him not being big on shirts is subconsciously taken from that page.  I don't think it gives too much away to say that Dorcan is actually rather happy with his new look, once the initial shock is worn off.

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 04, 2009, 12:36:23 PM
Quote from: Kipiru on March 04, 2009, 07:05:35 AM

"I find your lack of pants... disturbing."

As for Dorcan, the design for his appearance was originally cribbed from this strip:  http://missmab.com/Demo/Cubi03.php   ...as I have no doubt mentioned before.

...so I guess the idea of him not being big on shirts is subconsciously taken from that page.  I don't think it gives too much away to say that Dorcan is actually rather happy with his new look, once the initial shock is worn off.
"The pants are strong with this one."

I don't think I've actually heard what Dork-boy was based on, so that's kinda neat to see that.

And really, I don't think I'd complain too much if I woke up and found I'd become quite buff since I went to sleep. Besides which, he doesn't have that grotesque amount of muscle that body-builders have: it seems to be a more natural and healthier type of, well, buffness. Of course, he's already died and he's in an unaging machine body, so I don't see what health has to do with the underlying mechanics of his new body...
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Pagan

Yeah, but now he doesn't have the kick-ass Cubi powers.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on March 04, 2009, 12:50:11 PM
And really, I don't think I'd complain too much if I woke up and found I'd become quite buff since I went to sleep. Besides which, he doesn't have that grotesque amount of muscle that body-builders have: it seems to be a more natural and healthier type of, well, buffness.

Indeed:
Quote from: Tapewolf on September 17, 2008, 04:42:05 AM
From the description it sounds like you're thinking along the right lines.  Dorcan is not supposed to be grotesquely overbuilt, but he is muscular enough that people can dismiss him as a jock.
...these are more-or-less the same directions I gave to Pegasus.  IMHO he went very slightly overboard there, but if you look at his galleries on DA or FA, you'll note that he tends to go heavy on the musculature anyway.

Quote from: Pagan on March 04, 2009, 01:46:18 PM
He'll get some of them back, and probably most of them eventually, but the latter is outside the scope of the story.

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 04, 2009, 02:08:11 PM
Quote from: Jairus on March 04, 2009, 12:50:11 PM
And really, I don't think I'd complain too much if I woke up and found I'd become quite buff since I went to sleep. Besides which, he doesn't have that grotesque amount of muscle that body-builders have: it seems to be a more natural and healthier type of, well, buffness.

Indeed:
Quote from: Tapewolf on September 17, 2008, 04:42:05 AM
From the description it sounds like you're thinking along the right lines.  Dorcan is not supposed to be grotesquely overbuilt, but he is muscular enough that people can dismiss him as a jock.
...these are more-or-less the same directions I gave to Pegasus.  IMHO he went very slightly overboard there, but if you look at his galleries on DA or FA, you'll note that he tends to go heavy on the musculature anyway.
Kinda like how Ren tends to go in the opposite direction and makes people really skinny, hm? ;) Put the two together, and you're right on the money! Yeah, I can see what you're saying.

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 04, 2009, 02:08:11 PM
Quote from: Pagan on March 04, 2009, 01:46:18 PM
He'll get some of them back, and probably most of them eventually, but the latter is outside the scope of the story.
As to be expected. This technology is still fairly new, with only three subjects so far. Jakob's not going to have the data and research and experience and technology to build something of that level or scale quite yet, but give him a few more decades and he will be at able to have those upgrades ready and available. Dork-boy and co. should be glad they're more or less alive at this point. And I think that they are.

Besides, a Cubi without its clan marking is an interesting idea. Heheheh.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on March 04, 2009, 02:21:22 PM
Kinda like how Ren tends to go in the opposite direction and makes people really skinny, hm? ;) Put the two together, and you're right on the money! Yeah, I can see what you're saying.

Pretty much.  This was Keaton's sketch from AC:
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/con/ac08/sketches/dorcan_keaton2.png

...before she added the belt and pockets it looked like he was starkers.
QuoteDork-boy and co. should be glad they're more or less alive at this point. And I think that they are.
Indeed.  As for the clan mark, that will be discussed later.

Sofox

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 04, 2009, 02:44:26 PM
Pretty much.  This was Keaton's sketch from AC:
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/con/ac08/sketches/dorcan_keaton2.png

Ah, the infamous "he IS wearing pants" sketch.

You know, the topics of clothing and pants and wearing or not wearing thereof seem to pop up a lot in this comic's discussion.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sofox on March 04, 2009, 07:47:16 PM
You know, the topics of clothing and pants and wearing or not wearing thereof seem to pop up a lot in this comic's discussion.
Probably because it's the only piece of clothing Dorcan is visibly wearing.

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 04, 2009, 07:50:07 PM
Quote from: Sofox on March 04, 2009, 07:47:16 PM
Probably because it's the only piece of clothing Dorcan is visibly wearing.
Well, now who's fault is that?

Tapewolf

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 05, 2009, 11:01:32 AM
Quote from: Jairus on March 05, 2009, 10:54:41 AM
Well, now who's fault is that?
Amber gave me the idea, I used it, Ren drew it...
So all three of you have your hands on that dagger! Or pair of pants.

Wait, that sounds weird.

Seriously, Amber suggested Dork-boy's outfit? Poor guy.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on March 05, 2009, 11:13:26 AM
Seriously, Amber suggested Dork-boy's outfit? Poor guy.

Indirectly, yes.  See above.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Jairus on March 05, 2009, 11:13:26 AM
Wait, that sounds weird.

It doesn't sound weird, it just sounds dirty.

Very, very dirty.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 05, 2009, 11:42:55 AM
Very, very dirty.

Perv.

Just as a heads-up, we're probably looking at a Saturday or Sunday update, I'm afraid.  Part of that is knock-on from Ren's sickness last week.  The bad news is that he's apparently got Morrowind to run.  Heaven help us all...

Pagan

After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Brunhidden

wow, im impressed that 'i dig dorcans pants' could spawn over a page of fun. i gotta compliment more scantly clad people on their threads
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Tapewolf

It looks unlikely I'll be able to do an update tonight.  I think we're most likely looking at a strip on Monday.  Either that or we just skip this week entirely to give us some breathing space again.  I'm still thinking it through.

Pagan

Well, if taking this week off will help with reestablishing the buffer, go ahead and take the week off. That's my two cents anyway.

Amber Williams

I know -I- am perfectly happy staring at Dorcan's pants for another week. :3

Jairus

Quote from: Amber Williams on March 08, 2009, 12:00:44 PM
For some reason, "Dorcan's Pants" has the ring of another DMFA meme to it...

You know, I haven't made contact with Ren since yesterday. Maybe his internet's down?

Mao

Jairus

Pagan

Quote from: Amber Williams on March 08, 2009, 12:00:44 PM

Mmmm, yes, let us not forget the benefits of this week's page.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on March 08, 2009, 01:15:04 PM
You know, I haven't made contact with Ren since yesterday. Maybe his internet's down?

I was going to ask you about that, actually.  I think it's a fair assumption.

Mao