20/02/09 [PF #53] - It didn't really sink in

Started by Jairus, February 20, 2009, 11:43:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jairus

Well, Dorcan is still shirtless.

But yay! Backstory! Wee! So... I guess that's Jakob saving his son's life there? In which case I suppose his clan leader is still alive, since his tentacles have heads on the end. Unless you already covered that in an earlier strip and I missed it.

Also, while Joshua is good at the "oh noes!" face, Dorcan seems good at the "puzzled" face.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on February 20, 2009, 11:43:14 AM
So is your avatar  :P   Dorcan is actually shirtless by default, so I think we're going to have this conversation a lot...

QuoteBut yay! Backstory! Wee! So... I guess that's Jakob saving his son's life there? In which case I suppose his clan leader is still alive, since his tentacles have heads on the end. Unless you already covered that in an earlier strip and I missed it.

There's an interesting story to that.  Normally only clans with tri-wing founders have those unless they fake it themselves.  Daryil managed to fake it for the entire clan.  See his profile in the cast page.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Amber Williams

Also, while Joshua is good at the "oh noes!" face, Dorcan seems good at the "puzzled" face.

Thats the price of exposition really. When it comes to a storytelling where you have to let the readers know what is going on...it usually works best if the person telling the exposition is telling another character who is equally in the dark as the readers.  :U

Yay shirtless Dorcan!

Ren Gaulen

Wait, you want him to put on some shirt? No way! D:<

Quote from: Amber Williams on February 20, 2009, 11:48:47 AM
Yay shirtless Dorcan!
..And it will take a while for him to get some shirt! Well, at least he got some pants (unlike Josh, who was limited only to his underwear at first :B).

Pagan

Wait, what exactly did Dorc do that was wrong? I thought all they did was flirt and hold hands.

I think what Niall is talking about happened in Chronicles of Jakob Petersohn, which really should be required reading for Project Future fans.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 20, 2009, 11:47:24 AM
So is your avatar  :P   Dorcan is actually shirtless by default, so I think we're going to have this conversation a lot...
Which I'm sure Amber won't mind in the slightest. ;) As for my avatar... that's a mini-robe, like Dan's. Some of us don't want to waste time shapeshifting up a shirt that fits around wings.

Thats the price of exposition really. When it comes to a storytelling where you have to let the readers know what is going on...it usually works best if the person telling the exposition is telling another character who is equally in the dark as the readers.  :U
Ah, good point.

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on February 20, 2009, 11:52:00 AM
Wait, you want him to put on some shirt? No way! D:<
Never said that. Just making an observation.

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on February 20, 2009, 11:52:00 AM
Yay shirtless Dorcan!
..And it will take a while for him to get some shirt! Well, at least he got some pants (unlike Josh, who was limited only to his underwear at first :B).
Poor Josh. At least he quickly got some clothes to wear.

Quote from: Pagan on February 20, 2009, 11:58:55 AM
Wait, what exactly did Dorc do that was wrong? I thought all they did was flirt and hold hands.
... which, given the screwed up legal system in Furrae and the fact that people don't need much of an excuse to take up their torches and pitchforks, is probably all they needed to say he raped her and execute him. Who's gonna step up and defend him, considering they all seem to hate creatures?

I think what Niall is talking about happened in Chronicles of Jakob Petersohn, which really should be required reading for Project Future fans.
Oh, great, you're going to give me more homework?

Sofox

Good strip Tape, you seem to have taken my title suggestion more seriously then I did.
*looks something up* Wait a second, "fantabulous" is an actual word?

Pagan

Quote from: Jairus on February 20, 2009, 12:02:12 PM
... which, given the screwed up legal system in Furrae and the fact that people don't need much of an excuse to take up their torches and pitchforks, is probably all they needed to say he raped her and execute him. Who's gonna step up and defend him, considering they all seem to hate creatures?

Oh, great, you're going to give me more homework?

Yes, but Niall said that what Dorc did was wrong. How does Niall think that, is what I'm asking. Or is there something that I missed?

And yes, yes I am giving you more homework. Go study!
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on February 20, 2009, 12:02:12 PM
As for my avatar... that's a mini-robe, like Dan's. Some of us don't want to waste time shapeshifting up a shirt that fits around wings.

So why would Dorcan want to?   >:3

He was charged with rape.  Niall, being delayed by Joshua's resurrection, arrived too late to abort the execution and was unable to find out exactly what happened or substantiate the claims.  His language is a little elliptical in the strip, but he does think Dorcan was a bit irresponsible  (Which in a way is interesting, because Niall isn't exactly an angel in that department himself).  It's a little unclear now, but it will all be smoothed out by the end of the chapter.

QuoteI think what Niall is talking about happened in Chronicles of Jakob Petersohn, which really should be required reading for Project Future fans.

He is indeed.  The executioner was one of approximately twelve people Jakob killed during that series.  As for reading CJP, it's a bit patchy.  There are various mary-sue'isms, inconsistencies with canon and stuff I'm generally not so happy with.  However, it does make a number of things in PF make more sense.

Azrael and Ashley for example tend to be background characters because to some extent PF is following up what happened to them in the original story.  Though it should eventually become a plot point as well.

Quote from: Sofox on February 20, 2009, 12:06:04 PM
Good strip Tape, you seem to have taken my title suggestion more seriously then I did.
I was considering thinking up something completely outlandish - you just saved me the effort :P

Zedd

*looks at shirtless Dorcan up and down* Well as I said before..He's cute...

Jairus

Quote from: Zedd on February 20, 2009, 02:13:47 PM
Well... he is a Cubi, and therefore Bi. So, you never know: you might get lucky, Zedd-boy. ;)

Zedd

Quote from: Jairus on February 20, 2009, 02:26:21 PM
Well... he is a Cubi, and therefore Bi. So, you never know: you might get lucky, Zedd-boy. ;)

Remind me to send you to Ink after class...*headwing twich*

Jairus

Quote from: Zedd on February 20, 2009, 02:28:29 PM
Quote from: Jairus on February 20, 2009, 02:26:21 PM

Remind me to send you to Ink after class...*headwing twich*
Should I be scared/worried? Not being sarcastic or anything, just asking.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on February 20, 2009, 02:36:44 PM
Should I be scared/worried? Not being sarcastic or anything, just asking.

Ink always scares me.

Anyway, I've revised the strip if anyone's interested, with a better rendition of Niall on the scaffold, and the highlights on Dorcan's wing in panel 2 now better match the others.  Originally he was facing the other way - I had to redraw the highlights after he was flipped around, and they didn't quite work out.

Kipiru

And here we go again with the cyborg 101 lesson for the newly spawned Dorkanator! Unlike Arnold, however, he is only shirtless!  >:3

Jairus

Jakob should just make one of those old projector movies they showed in schools long ago, so he can save time explaining things to all of these androids. You know like the ones that talked about drunk driving and puberty and surviving atomic holocausts by ducking under

"Hi, and welcome to So You're An Android Now. Your body has gone through a lot of changes, so let's get started and see what's happened to you!"

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Jairus on February 20, 2009, 03:49:24 PM
Jakob should just make one of those old projector movies they showed in schools long ago, so he can save time explaining things to all of these androids. You know like the ones that talked about drunk driving and puberty and surviving atomic holocausts by ducking under

"Hi, and welcome to So You're An Android Now. Your body has gone through a lot of changes, so let's get started and see what's happened to you!"
Somehow that instantly made me think of Fallout. :] I'm pretty sure that Jakob's film would have been complete with some slightly dark humour too. >:]

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Kipiru on February 20, 2009, 03:42:05 PM
And here we go again with the cyborg 101 lesson for the newly spawned Dorkanator! Unlike Arnold, however, he is only shirtless!  >:3

... and refrigerated?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Kipiru

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 20, 2009, 03:59:53 PM

... and refrigerated?

FRIDGE'D

Ren Gaulen

... and refrigerated?
Precisely. :B

Mao

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on February 20, 2009, 04:06:56 PM

... and refrigerated?
Precisely. :B

Cool.

Tapewolf

They do start to make leaflets eventually.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 20, 2009, 04:36:30 PM

"What to do, now that you're dead." ?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Jairus

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 20, 2009, 05:32:16 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on February 20, 2009, 04:36:30 PM
"What to do, now that you're dead." ?
"Hi, my name is Joshua Oswald, and I'm an android too. And you know what? It's okay to be an android. It doesn't make you any different from anyone else... well, aside from the artificial body, but it's not what's on the outside that counts, but what's on the inside. Like Plutonium. Or a crystal that captures your soul when you die."

Tapewolf

He magicked a pamphlet out of thin air and handed it to Lutlakes.  It was titled 'Android Replicas and you'.  "This was intended for our prospective clients," Niall sighed, "But it will give you everything you need to know about your... new self."

"Oh yes," Niall said, and a supplemental brochure appeared in his hand.  It was titled Additional notes for 'Cubi.  "Not as good as being a real incubus of course, but better than nothing."

**EDIT**
I suppose I should add that they started doing this because I explained the setup several times, and I wanted to avoid it getting too repetitive.

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 20, 2009, 06:11:16 PM
He magicked a pamphlet out of thin air and handed it to Lutlakes.  It was titled 'Android Replicas and you'.  "This was intended for our prospective clients," Niall sighed, "But it will give you everything you need to know about your... new self."

"Oh yes," Niall said, and a supplemental brochure appeared in his hand.  It was titled Additional notes for 'Cubi.  "Not as good as being a real incubus of course, but better than nothing."
*snrkroflolhahaahaahaahaa*

Hoo... hoo boy. Awesome. Totally awesome. Thanks for digging that up, Tape.

Brunhidden

why do i suddenly imagine dorcan and josh doing 'the robot'?
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Kipiru

Because you obviously haven't seen Dorkan angry. That guy is scary!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kipiru on February 21, 2009, 03:27:58 PM

Fortunately, no tentacles.  He'd be pretty pissed if you called him 'Dork', actually - I imagine he was called that a lot as a kid.

Random suggestion: search google for "Dorcan".

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 21, 2009, 03:34:28 PM
Quote from: Kipiru on February 21, 2009, 03:27:58 PM
Fortunately, no tentacles.  He'd be pretty pissed if you called him 'Dork', actually - I imagine he was called that a lot as a kid.

Random suggestion: search google for "Dorcan".
"Dorcan Technology College?" Heh. Neat. If that's what his name's a reference too.