02/15/09 [DMFA #972] - Backstory… words words words words…

Started by Jairus, February 15, 2009, 01:16:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcblade

I'm curious as to what makes Kria different than Regina.  I like Kria a bit because she, at least, sometimes attempts to be a decent mother.  (Lorenda's wings growing in, for instance)  Perhaps it was the raising a child?  (shrugs) 

I have no sympathy for Regina.  Average for her age or not, I can't agree or condone that kind of moral system.  I don't really want to see Dan kill her, though. 

Tiger_T

*flails his arms a bit to keep the crowd entertained* :P

From what we've seen so far, I'd say Regina is a rebellious 'teenage'-demon. :rolleyes
Tigriel's got a guest:

A Furry fan, that's what I am! - Proud member of the AP-Team. - Avatar Art by INK

Feather Dancer

And it all makes her more amusing to watch, I've been intrigued ever since the total bloody hand things. So turns out she's a bit of a brat with typical demon ethics just pumped up way above her level, nothing wrong with that. It's just whether she came keep Dan from tearing her a new one, PG comic or not, now THATS something to watch for...
Notalope, making all worries as tasty as pineapples.

Naldru

Not taking it personally does not mean not retaliating.  Look at Wildy's comments to Biggs about stealing from Lost Lake.  Essentially, she stated that Biggs stealing Alexsi's hammer from Lost Lake was an action that required retaliation.  In the same way mortal insults are expected to be responded to by duels.  The fact that police and the courts try to punish people for breaking the law doesn't mean that the police are taking it personally, just that they are doing what needs to be done.

Kria may have stated that Demons don't need to avenge the death of other Demons.  However, that doesn't mean that she expects others to forego vengeance.  The big difference between Kria and Regina is that Kria accepts that her actions have consequences, while Regina feels that it is unfair that there are consequences.

If Kria feels that Lorenda is threatened, Kria will take action (not necessarily the correct action).

I'm going to think about this a little and do some editing when I figure out what I'm talking about.

Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 15, 2009, 10:04:31 AM
This I beg to differ on.  The scenes in the shopping arc, where Abel sees the paint, and every scene where Abel is asked about his parents.  I believe AS was running at the time of the paint incident, but that was so far before things hit the fan that we could only guess what it meant.  My assumption then was that his family had been massacred.  Now, it's more likely a flashback to Hennya.

But Abel had his hemophobia before he even got home from the funeral, remember?  Devin was making fun of him about it--he even said that it had been going on since they were kids.  That would likely have been before Abel even met Hennya.

Quote from: Amber Williams on February 15, 2009, 09:57:38 AM
I admit my biggest worry, as well as probably the worry of any creative worker person, is that when making a character who has some very unlikable traits...I worry that a character is unlikable not because that is how they were meant to be...but unlikable because I am a bad writer. 

I'm only sorry that you have such a worry, Amber, because you've proven time and again that you are NOT a bad writer.  I likely haven't seen enough of Regina yet to judge her accurately--I might well change my mind.  It's just that so far I haven't found her to be all that interesting--that may just be because, as you said, she's being introduced now and interrupting the main storyline of this chapter.  But there's still time.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Baal Hadad on February 15, 2009, 04:54:41 PM
But Abel had his hemophobia before he even got home from the funeral, remember?  Devin was making fun of him about it--he even said that it had been going on since they were kids.  That would likely have been before Abel even met Hennya.

I know that, he even blames it on haemophobia in the strip itself, but I think he's using it as a cover for what really bugged him.  After 375 years with what are probably some of the best psychologists in the world (thought and emotion readers, yeah?), I'd be astonished if he hadn't got the phobia under some degree of control by that point.  Yes, he likely still has it, but I think his reaction is more severe than the blood/paint alone would account for.  Though reading AS 44(46) again, it's difficult to say.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 15, 2009, 05:03:41 PM
Quote from: Baal Hadad on February 15, 2009, 04:54:41 PM

I know that, he even blames it on haemophobia in the strip itself, but I think he's using it as a cover for what really bugged him.  After 375 years with what are probably some of the best psychologists in the world (thought and emotion readers, yeah?), I'd be astonished if he hadn't got the phobia under some degree of control by that point.  Yes, he likely still has it, but I think his reaction is more severe than the blood/paint alone would account for.  Though reading AS 44(46) again, it's difficult to say.

Ah, yes--that hadn't occurred to me.

However, he obviously doesn't have it completely under control, just as he hasn't gotten over his need to be an "honest jerk", especially when he's called out on being nice.

But yeah, you may have a point there....

inuhanyo

Quote from: Baal Hadad on February 15, 2009, 05:14:39 PM
... just as he hasn't gotten over his need to be an "honest jerk", especially when he's called out on being nice.
Abel didn't start out as a jerk, just the opposite in fact.  Perhaps he's cultivated it as a defense mechanism after what Aniz put him through, so Aniz can never threaten anyone he cares for ever again.  By not having anyone close to him again.

Baal Hadad

Quote from: inuhanyo on February 15, 2009, 06:05:44 PM
... just as he hasn't gotten over his need to be an "honest jerk", especially when he's called out on being nice.
Abel didn't start out as a jerk, just the opposite in fact.  Perhaps he's cultivated it as a defense mechanism after what Aniz put him through, so Aniz can never threaten anyone he cares for ever again.  By not having anyone close to him again.

I'm aware of that.  My point is that his jerky quality seems like the kind of thing you'd expect psychologists to try to treat, or better yet, prevent--especially since he didn't start out that way.  Thus even after 300 years at SAIA, it appears there's only so much said psychologists could do, so they must not have been all that effective.

Howl

That shirt does not fit Regina. She should wear her bio outfit. It looks better.

Grey Wolf

Mm, I'm still not quite ready to judge. I admit I'm overly sympathetic and a total softy, and Regina hit a sore spot in comic 964. I went through that phase (not the 'killing townspeople' phase, the 'how come insertfamilymemberhere get's more love than I do?' phase). Of course, that happened when I was half her age... meh.

Occasionally I can see actions in black and white, but people (and thus characters) are merely shades of gray. I'm a moral optimist; that is to say, someone who often notes the good in people more than the bad. Whiiiiiich seems to make me come off as annoying at times.  :U
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

inuhanyo

Quote from: Baal Hadad on February 15, 2009, 08:00:22 PM
Quote from: inuhanyo on February 15, 2009, 06:05:44 PM

I'm aware of that.  My point is that his jerky quality seems like the kind of thing you'd expect psychologists to try to treat, or better yet, prevent--especially since he didn't start out that way.  Thus even after 300 years at SAIA, it appears there's only so much said psychologists could do, so they must not have been all that effective.
No psychologist can treat something that the patient doesn't want treated.   If Abel is being a jerk to protect himself from Aniz, then the only hope for a "cure" has to start with dealing with Aniz.  Permanently.

Sunblink

Quote from: Minishear on February 15, 2009, 08:18:03 PM
That shirt does not fit Regina. She should wear her bio outfit. It looks better.

We heard you the first time you said that. On the first page of this topic. Stop complaining.

Personally, I like her t-shirt. It fits her juvenile personality, and Regina can't dress like a dominatrix every day of the week.

Mao

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on February 16, 2009, 03:34:06 PM
Quote from: Minishear on February 15, 2009, 08:18:03 PM

We heard you the first time you said that. On the first page of this topic. Stop complaining.

I thought it was maybe 2-3 different people saying that throughout the thread, though I wasn't particularly paying attention to who it was.

QuotePersonally, I like her t-shirt. It fits her juvenile personality, and Regina can't dress like a dominatrix every day of the week.

Why not? :mowwink Well, I suppose one reason might be comfort. The jeans and t-shirt look more comfortable, depending on what actually makes up that darker outfit (chain mail or fish net, armored or cloth bra and skirt pieces).
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen