PF Episode 5 (page 40)

Started by Tapewolf, October 17, 2008, 03:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

After a slight delay (AKA parents chose the wrong time to call) the page 35 is now up.

http://www.project-future.org

On a not-very related topic, Redwing's commissions kick ass (FurAffinity - is SFW, though).  Quick turnaround as well.  See her thread in the Merchant's Corner if you want one too  :3

Yes, Salomere will turn up in the comic.  In about 4 year's time  :cry

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Zedd

GabrielsThoughts

you know people can actually process 600 hundred words per minute, people talk about 100 wpm, which leaves me to believe there was more thinking going on than words alone
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Eagle0600

A, finally the reference to Jakob's past appears. Also: I am now reading the 'Chronicles of Jakob Pettersohn'. Very good stuff (I'm up to capt. 9 or so)

edit:
Excessively childish use of marquee removed.

llearch n'n'daCorna

... Eagle, you know you're begging the mods to disable marquee, right?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: Eagle0600 on October 18, 2008, 07:22:18 PM
A, finally the reference to Jakob's past appears. Also: I am now reading the 'Chronicles of Jakob Pettersohn'. Very good stuff (I'm up to capt. 9 or so)

You had me going there for a moment - I read that as "a reference to Jakob's name" and thought I'd forgotten to mention it :rolleyes  It was supposed to have been mentioned up a strip or two earlier than it was but I managed to forget it (!) while captioning.  Kris had the same problem when he was introduced.

As for CJP, it had its moments but I'm not quite as proud of it as I once was.  There were a few things which I regret doing which now that I look back, were a little Mary-Sueish - put it down to my own inexperience as a writer, I suppose.  There were also a few things which became obsolete as more DMFA lore emerged (e.g. the Phoenix-Oracles).  Also, I decided that Niall looked much nicer as a fox than as a sort of wolf-fox thing.  (Turnsky's idea, actually) so it doesn't quite match Project Future 100% anymore.

That said, I'm intending to merge a few of my favourite chapters into PF as flashbacks.  Jakob's first meeting with Daryil is already planned, and I'd like to do Simeon as well, but it's going to be tricky to fit in.

Oh, and I have to agree with llearch about the marquee thing.

GabrielsThoughts

:kruger  Gabriel T. changes several  key plot lines from the shadows

:mwaha   There, that's better... (insert bloody palm on screen)
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Eagle0600

I just read through CJP myself. Firstly, I must say HOLY S***! That was awesome! Secondly, the recent strip is suddenly much funnier.

P.S. Why is Jakob looking over his past? Actually from the sounds of it, that was a Hollywood dramatization. (Or whatever Furrae has for Hollywood at this point.)

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 18, 2008, 07:27:27 PM
... Eagle, you know you're begging the mods to disable marquee, right?

It's probably for the best. I don't usually do things like that but... It was just so tempting. I'll edit it out now.

Tapewolf

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on October 19, 2008, 09:13:57 PM
:kruger  Gabriel T. changes several  key plot lines from the shadows
   :mwaha   There, that's better... (insert bloody palm on screen)

I seem to recall you did that before:
http://dmfa.it-he.org/uhrp/strip019.htm (three pages)

Quote from: Eagle0600 on October 20, 2008, 04:38:27 AM
I just read through CJP myself. Firstly, I must say HOLY S***! That was awesome! Secondly, the recent strip is suddenly much funnier.

Thanks.  One of the criticisms levelled at Future History and by extension the comic of it, is that it was originally designed to be read coming from CJP and depends a bit too much on that for background.  I've tried to fit as much backstory in as I sensibly could for new readers, and more of it will be added to the cast pages eventually.
One of the difficulties is writing cast pages that don't spoil too much when one of the major characters has multiple personas...

QuoteP.S. Why is Jakob looking over his past? Actually from the sounds of it, that was a Hollywood dramatization. (Or whatever Furrae has for Hollywood at this point.)

That would be telling  >:3

Zedd

Tapewolf

Page 36 is up.

llearch n'n'daCorna

*snerk* Covering your tracks is difficult if people can figure out who you are anyway...

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 24, 2008, 03:26:35 PM
*snerk* Covering your tracks is difficult if people can figure out who you are anyway...
Actually, there is a deeper explanation for that.

Eagle0600

Good stuff, as always. I am as ever eager to see more.

Jairus

Laserdisc? Damn, I've only seen a laserdisc system ONCE in my whole life. It was kinda neat to see the ancestor of the DVD.

Can't wait for the next issue.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on October 25, 2008, 12:08:02 PM
Laserdisc? Damn, I've only seen a laserdisc system ONCE in my whole life. It was kinda neat to see the ancestor of the DVD.
I've seen a laserdisc, and a laserdisc player.  Unfortunately, not at the same time.

Oh, and for the curious, I forgot to post this:

Looks like it should be digital, doesn't it?  Actually it's all-analogue.  The video signal is frequency-modulated and encoded on the disc as a series of reflective pits using pulse-width modulation.

The soundtrack can be either baseband analogue or a digital pcm stream.

The picture quality is almost as good as c-format video, but without the problems of tape head wear since the playback head is a laser beam.

Some of the earlier decks had a whacking great helium-neon tube about a foot long.  This one is a later model though, uses a semiconductor laser like a regular cd player.

RobbieThe1st

Hm... After reading some interesting pages on Laserdiscs and related stuff, I decided to check out eBay. Of course, there are a fair number of them available in the US, but still a few for(what seems like) a reasonable price over in the UK.

Comic wise, I chuckled a few times reading it - I can't say exactly what makes it funny to me; Perhaps its just my twisted sense of humor, but I found it funny none the less.

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Tapewolf

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on October 26, 2008, 08:08:34 AM
Hm... After reading some interesting pages on Laserdiscs and related stuff, I decided to check out eBay. Of course, there are a fair number of them available in the US, but still a few for(what seems like) a reasonable price over in the UK.

Comic wise, I chuckled a few times reading it - I can't say exactly what makes it funny to me; Perhaps its just my twisted sense of humor, but I found it funny none the less.
The bulk of this episode is supposed to be pretty light-hearted.  A breather I suppose, before things hit the fan in episode 6.

And yes, there's quite a selection of titles on ebay, including some apparently from last year.  I was almost tempted to consider getting one of the machines, but I don't really have space.  Talking of which, I really should think about getting rid of some of my tape decks.  8 is just stupid, especially when only half of them are regularly used.

Amber Williams

Wouldn't thinking ones thoughts out loud like that when just a few seconds before someone said "shush. keep your thoughts down." be considered counter-productive? :U

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on October 26, 2008, 03:19:53 PM
Wouldn't thinking ones thoughts out loud like that when just a few seconds before someone said "shush. keep your thoughts down." be considered counter-productive? :U
Yes.  But Joshua is hoping that Jakob is too busy rabbiting on about laserdiscs to pick up on it.

In the original version, he trips on something and is told to keep it down.  Sometimes I think we should have kept it that way.

Brunhidden

jakob shows his nerdy side and goes all tech on us, heh

well at least he didn't go into detail about the pants, nerd talk should be limited to nerdware not nerdwear

and suddenly with the 'keep your thoughts down' i seriously wonder how a cubi can go through a normal day with just about every person near them continually thinking 'boobs' 'nice ass' 'did anyone notice i farted?' 'boobs' 'hatekillmaimrape' 'ooh! feathers!' 'knockers'

Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

llearch n'n'daCorna

You missed "boobies", "boobies", "boobies", "nice legs", and "boobies"

And that's just one guy on the street...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Brunhidden on October 27, 2008, 10:45:34 AM
and suddenly with the 'keep your thoughts down' i seriously wonder how a cubi can go through a normal day with just about every person near them continually thinking 'boobs' 'nice ass' 'did anyone notice i farted?' 'boobs' 'hatekillmaimrape' 'ooh! feathers!' 'knockers'
I seem to recall Abel covered that nicely... most of the time he shields himself.  Jakob would too, but he's interested in what Joshua has to think for reasons of his own.

Mao

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 27, 2008, 11:22:22 AM
You missed "boobies", "boobies", "boobies", "nice legs", and "boobies"

And that's just one guy on the street...

Stop reading my thoughts!  Dammit  llearch!

Gabi

So... did Joshua come to the conclusion that Jakob was Johan Cross because of the laserdisc rant?

I saw laserdiscs for the first and last time when I visited the USA back in 1988. It was nice to see one again.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on October 27, 2008, 12:56:11 PM
So... did Joshua come to the conclusion that Jakob was Johan Cross because of the laserdisc rant?
More because Joshua's spent too much time with his boss.  But Jakob's rant makes a handy time for reflection, unless Jakob can simultaneously parse two conversations at once.

Brunhidden

the laserdisk rant just drives home the fact that cubi are by definition flighty airheads with the attention span of a squirrel. the fact that Doctor Cross breaks this mold (probably by a complex system of diaries, PDA's, and sticky notes) should set a contrast to the other cubi soon

ya know, i remember seeing exactly one laser disk, in my AP European history class. it was full of umpteen thousand different pieces of art and we were expected to name the period and province it was made in within 15 seconds before another one came up..... wow did i ever fail that class, it was epic
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Tapewolf

Page 37 is now up.

EDIT:

Oops, forgot the decals on Mac's leg.  Actually you can't really see them anyway at this resolution.

Zedd

Eagle0600

Maybe we'll get to find out what he does to Kirian. *Just read FH*