[Artwork] Redwing's Art UPDATED (10/17/2008): "Salomere Ja'Fell"

Started by Lady Buggery, October 15, 2008, 01:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Buggery

Here is some art for you to all look at. I'll post some of my favorite oldies as well as some new ones. For more of my later art, check out my FA located here: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/temujinlizzle/

UPDATE:  "Commission: Salomere Ja'fell": http://www.furaffinity.net/view/1637131/#cid:11608341

"Roya Redwing"
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/1633129/

Ren Gaulen

Since there is something Egyptian about your character, I decided to look for some Egyptian names that have something to do with birds. I have found a name "Bennu", which means "eagle". So far I haven't found anything better.

Lady Buggery

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on October 15, 2008, 01:45:32 PM
Since there is something Egyptian about your character, I decided to look for some Egyptian names that have something to do with birds. I have found a name "Bennu", which means "eagle". So far I haven't found anything better.

I like the way you think, sir. You get half a cookie, just for effort! *gives* That's actually how I go about naming characters, most all the time. Its just certain cultures are very...."Known" to us Americans so their names are often over used. I was lucky to find some neat, lesser known names a while ago, but I used most of the "good" ones in my novel, so finding new ones is a bit hard.

Zedd

Mao

Going with what Ren said, might I suggest perusing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenixology#See_also

It contains some things that might help in the naming process.

I'm particularly fond of the Filipino name of Ibong Adarna.  Maybe Adarna as a name? (Ibong meaning bird from what I gather...)

Ren Gaulen

I have got a couple more suggestions (rather silly ones this time). First, Miss Redwing looks a bit like a phoenix (I can't get rid of this impression), so a name "Ignia" came to my mind as something related to fire. On the other hand, red is not only fire, but also blood. So, I thought of a name "Sanguinia". How about that? :3

LionHeart

To go with the fire theme, how about Ember? She does look like she might be glowing slightly with heat.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Lady Buggery

All awesome suggestions peoples! *tosses cookies into the crowd* I may have to make a poll at some point, or edit this post so it is a poll. So many good names and possibilities I'm having trouble deciding.

A note: A phoenix? Muahahaha that's exactly what she wants you to think >.> (In the DMFA universe she's well...go read the demo 101 section to figure it out :P ) I will say this, she's deathly afraid of cat, hawk, owl, and snake furries xD.

Ren Gaulen

I am pretty sure she is a Cubi - why else would she have head-wings? Also, another "fiery" name - Pyretta. :3

Quote from: Redwing X on October 15, 2008, 02:13:39 PM
I will say this, she's deathly afraid of cat, hawk, owl, and snake furries xD.
:dface Why? I don't harm birds! I'm a perfectly harmless kitty! :<

Lady Buggery

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on October 15, 2008, 02:35:54 PM
I am pretty sure she is a Cubi - why else would she have head-wings? Also, another "fiery" name - Pyretta. :3

Quote from: Redwing X on October 15, 2008, 02:13:39 PM
I will say this, she's deathly afraid of cat, hawk, owl, and snake furries xD.
:dface Why? I don't harm birds! I'm a perfectly harmless kitty! :<

You think she's a cubi, eh? Then all the better *whistles innocently* And I know you're a good kitten ^^ She's not afraid of ALL cats and etc. She's willing to give individual people a chance, she's just really shy and apprehensive until she's sure you won't take a bite out of her or present her as a gift to your family on the front porch *pets*

My boyfriend and I are duking it out over the name (not really just also trying to figure things out) I found two Persian names I really like that, i feel, both fit her both physically and inwardly. It just sounds like a car engine when you put it all together as a full name XD. "Roya Roshanak Redwing" what do you all think? (roya = dream, vision. Roshanak = little light.)

llearch n'n'daCorna

The alliteration may be a trifle heavy, there.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Lady Buggery

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 15, 2008, 03:58:58 PM
The alliteration may be a trifle heavy, there.

Sorry its the English major in me, if it doesn't rhyme, it should have some kind of literary clause there in. XD. I'm thinking of sticking to Roya Redwing then, so say you all? :3

Cogidubnus

Jules, maybe?

A corruption of Gules, which is a type of red used in heraldry...

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Redwing X on October 15, 2008, 04:01:11 PM
I'm thinking of sticking to Roya Redwing then, so say you all? :3
It sounds fine, I guess. As a secondary effect, I get to keep the names I came up with. :3

Quote from: Cogidubnus on October 15, 2008, 04:06:44 PM
Jules, maybe?

Jules sounds too much like a male name, I think..

Lady Buggery

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on October 15, 2008, 04:15:00 PM
Quote from: Redwing X on October 15, 2008, 04:01:11 PM
I'm thinking of sticking to Roya Redwing then, so say you all? :3
It sounds fine, I guess. As a secondary effect, I get to keep the names I came up with. :3

Quote from: Cogidubnus on October 15, 2008, 04:06:44 PM
Jules, maybe?

Jules sounds too much like a male name, I think..

Yeah I feel bad for not picking something someone suggested. The Jules suggestion is especially intriguing too. Hmm well at any rate, there shall be cookies for all, I may even doodle that and post it later, don't hold me to it though :P

Tapewolf

Nice colour-work.  Is this the sort of thing you're offering as a commission?  I seem to recall the examples there were hand-coloured in pencil, which to my eyes doesn't quite have the sparkle of digital colouring.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Lady Buggery

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 15, 2008, 05:50:24 PM
Nice colour-work.  Is this the sort of thing you're offering as a commission?  I seem to recall the examples there were hand-coloured in pencil, which to my eyes doesn't quite have the sparkle of digital colouring.

Sure I'll offer it but it's not as cheap as the other stuff, considering I don't have a mouse (I colored this with a touch pad and a dream) but if you're interested please PM me ^^

Kipiru

WhiteFox

Not bad. There's a couple of places where the lighting is off though. The dark patch under the collar bone is really heavy, and under clothes I'm not sure the collar bones shadow would be even less prominent. The dark fur on the shoulders kind of throws off my sense of depth. on her arms, I'd shade the outer edges rather then lighting them. The hair is pretty well detailed, but I'd add a pool of shadow on the hair near her neck to show the recess there. I'd also shade the side of her torso, under her arm and breast, for the same reason. The shadows of her skirt don't really work well with the plaiting. Anywhere you've got lighter strips of color between the shadows and the linework (arms, ears, her left torso, and a bit on the boots) is visually distracting.

Mostly what this comes down to is that you have a lot of ambient shadows, but not much direct shadows. It hurts readability and messes up the focus of the image.

The face is lovely, though, and the wings aren't bad considering what tools you had to work with. Her fur has a soft feel, and the highlights on her boots and outfit have a really liquid shine to them. Very tactile.

I won't get into anatomy of the wings, if it's not your character design.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Fox NaBan on October 22, 2008, 08:00:50 PM
I won't get into anatomy of the wings, if it's not your character design.
Yes, the wings are supposed to be DMFA demon-style rather than realistic.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Lady Buggery

Thats for the detailed crit! I haven't had a good one like that since high school, and incidentally, all the things you mentioned are all my problem areas xD Sometimes I NEED to have a "light source" layer to figure these things out. But with a touch pad, I'm limited in what I can and can't do. Some of the highlights and shadows got dulled in the smudging process. But, as always I'll work on it ^^

WhiteFox

Roya: Your welcome. I have to go update my sig now.

Tape: Amber doesn't put spike-claws on the tips of her wing struts, and puts a proper "thumb" hook on the wrist of the wing rather then... another spike-claw.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...