Anyone out there into anime?

Started by silentassassin, October 10, 2008, 02:12:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

King Of Hearts

Oh, and Gundam 00's pretty good thus far.

silentassassin

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on October 11, 2008, 09:49:54 PM
Quote from: ShadesFox on October 11, 2008, 09:28:28 PM
I was really let down by Trinity Blood.  The show just fell flat on it's ass with the ending.

I haven't seen the ending, so that's really disappointing to hear. I was really enjoying the episodes I was watching.
Yep really sad such greatness ended in crap.

JackLee1978

Trinity Blood is another victuim of the supposed Gonzo curse, in that Gonzo doesn't know how to end a series. So far I would only say that Gad Guard and Burst Angel have fallen to the curse.

silentassassin

Well I havent seen the ending of pumpkin scissors but my friend says the ending left things out. It was made by gonzo also so it appears the curse is true. Also, check pumpkin scissors out it is awesome.

thegayhare

Quote from: Redwing X on October 11, 2008, 08:51:25 AM
My Take on Slayers: It turns the traditional fantasy story on its head, kicks it in the face, covers it in honey, and leaves it on top of an ant hill.

I think it's great, but you need to be open minded about the token cross dressing episodes in each season. :3 I think those were my favorite. :mowmeep

I loved the concept of the Sea Drag-on in one ep.  That had me giggling for ages.  a dolled up boy dragon stealing handsom sailors off of passing ships... you know I might have to use that in one of my stories

Hmm no one else seemed to mention Blue Seed.  A pretty interesting series I thought

I didn't like Here and There, Then and Now.  It's story was just a bit too raw I think. 

But I do like dead leaves for it's twisted weirdness

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: thegayhare on October 12, 2008, 01:07:27 AM
I loved the concept of the Sea Drag-on in one ep.  That had me giggling for ages.  a dolled up boy dragon stealing handsom sailors off of passing ships... you know I might have to use that in one of my stories

I fell off my chair laughing at that. It was one of the few moments I had to stop the DVD, get up, and leave the room until my manic giggling had subsided. It was just so entirely out of left field.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Auragonian

I've got to see that, So any shows have weird nicknames because of an episode you saw?

The reason why Is because my older brother called Blood+ "Headfwapper" because of an episode he saw consisting of mini vamps getting their heads Fwapped off by a guy with monster hand, I laughed my head off at how he made a horror show sound comedic.

What about you guys?

Alondro

I've seen quite a few anime series that had potential, but lollygagged with a whole bunch of useless episodes that had nothing to do with the central plot for most of the series and then tried to cram the whole central plot into the last two episodes, with dismal results.

That happens most with the 13 and 26 episode series.  It's like they don't really know what to do with the story.
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Myxini

Has anyone read the Vampire Princess Miyu manga?  I LOVE the OVA's, they're so perfectly subtle, but I hear the TV series is irritatingly mahou-shojo-kill-the-bad-guy-of-the-week. 

The other really great subtle horror manga I love is Mermaid Saga.  I've seen a few of the animated versions, and they stayed VERY good.

Similarly, I liked the Hellsing TV series well enough until I started reading the Manga, and realized how crap the second half was.  i'm awaiting the official translations of the last 2 volumes, and LOVING the OVAs. 

gh0st

let's see my active anime currently include:
detective conan: every episode is a murder or suicide.
full metal alchemist
karin= vampire that isn't vampire-ish
one piece
love hina

some ones that i watched but then lost intrest:
bobobo-bo-bobo: seriously wtf!?!?!?
blood+: i got to the point where she totaly chops the monster in half, then deciding that my life wasn't adequate enough to watch that i just stopped watching it.
eremental gerade: i just lost interest around the end.
gun grave:thats a lot of blood, even for the mafia...
wait you really expect me to list all of them?

anime which i believe are the best and have finished:
.hack// sign: augh this one was depressingly good.
.hack// legend of the twighlight: this was a bit cartoonish than it's precursor
eureka 7:OMG OMG they are making a freaking movie!!! possibly one of the best anime's out there.
wow i just realized i have finished almost no anime...

King Of Hearts

Janus' screen shot finally convinced me to finish Koutetsushin Jeeg...

Nagai's understanding of "sequel" is as correct as his understanding of "vs." It took me until half the series to realize that Prof. Shiba was the same Shiba who was Hiroshi's dad in the original series.

Himika's more visually appealing but I somewhat hoped that Hell Emperor Ryuuma would've at least made a cameo. I mean they had a stand in for Ankoku Daishogun and Yami No TeiOh.

Loved the series tho', short and sweet.

Whatever did happen to Kenji's parents?

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: King Of Hearts on October 18, 2008, 01:06:23 AM
Janus' screen shot finally convinced me to finish Koutetsushin Jeeg...

Nagai's understanding of "sequel" is as correct as his understanding of "vs." It took me until half the series to realize that Prof. Shiba was the same Shiba who was Hiroshi's dad in the original series.

Himika's more visually appealing but I somewhat hoped that Hell Emperor Ryuuma would've at least made a cameo. I mean they had a stand in for Ankoku Daishogun and Yami No TeiOh.

Loved the series tho', short and sweet.

Whatever did happen to Kenji's parents?

To my understanding (done with research, as we never got the original series, and it's ass-hard to find online), it's something of both a sequel and a remake, as it effectively freezes the original series after the defeat of the Great Jama Kingdom, thanks to the whole thing with the Bronze Bell and the sword. I saw the Shiba thing straight away, at least when Kenji remembered to get his name right.

Himika really needed to stop that laugh, and I lol'd myself when Kenji finally tells her in episode twelve to "Stop that stupid laugh."

As for Kenji's parents, that's left to the great unknown. Given the lifespans in question.... but that's spoiler territory.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

King Of Hearts

Prof Shiba died early on in the series, he became the core of Build Base. it was the fat prof that was the head of Build Base's main logistics.

The duel between Jeeg and Himika was changed as well... Himika actually got the Bronze Bell, or at least its power to revive Hell Emperor Ryuuma then got promptly killed herself. O well... I guess it was no big deal... Ryuuma wasnt that strong anyway, IIRC he almost got himself killed by Himika's three stooges in one ep.

Azlan

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on October 12, 2008, 01:27:32 AM
Quote from: thegayhare on October 12, 2008, 01:07:27 AM

I fell off my chair laughing at that. It was one of the few moments I had to stop the DVD, get up, and leave the room until my manic giggling had subsided. It was just so entirely out of left field.

Hence why I love classic Slayers.  I have watched everything mentioned in this thread for better or worse due to my volunteer work in Anime programming for local SF cons in CA.  Trust me, there is a lot of trite out there, from smutty, tasteless juvenile crap to horrible and boring.

One of the best pieces of Sci Fi anime I have ever seen is Voices of a Distant Star.  It is such a classic sci fi short story piece.

One bit of mindless silly I did love was Excel Saga... quite the absurdist comedy.

Of course, being American and only half-japanese, I can only get half of it right... I hope its the good half.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Rakala

Okay, I'm just joining in here. I am into most anime, though I find that for the most part I find that animes with combat are less interesting. I mean my favorite 3 are Deathnote, Chobits, and Oh My Goddess. I mean there are quite a few good animes with fighting but alot of them are dissapointing on one level or another. For example in Trigun, the ending was dissapointing. (Not spoiling for any who haven't seen it). Both the Slayers and Ranma are pretty good but more often they're more silly than action-y.

Some mangas I would want to see the anime of would be, first of all, Wish, PhD (Phantasy Degree), Mars, and I know it exists but I haven't gotten a chance to see it yet DNAngel.

Tezkat

A few awesome anime not yet mentioned here...

Baccano!
Ghost in the Shell (in its various incarnations)
Serial Experiments Lain

Quote from: Alondro on October 12, 2008, 08:59:45 PM
I've seen quite a few anime series that had potential, but lollygagged with a whole bunch of useless episodes that had nothing to do with the central plot for most of the series and then tried to cram the whole central plot into the last two episodes, with dismal results.

That happens most with the 13 and 26 episode series.  It's like they don't really know what to do with the story.

Yeah, that's all too common.

One of my latest disappointments: Ghost Hound. Really cool premise. Sympathetic characters. But they waste half the airtime on infodumps out of psychology textbooks that slow the story to a crawl and don't even have anything to do with the plot. They were trying to write two different shows or something, although they did kinda redeem themselves towards the end.

Another series full of wasted potential: Wolf's Rain. Okay, I realize that the show had terrible budget problems. But they finally scrape some cash together and pull an Evangelion on us. WTF.

The longer running series tend to degrade eventually, as well. Naruto Shippuuden gets really painful to watch at times. The directors/producers apparently believe in murdering the pacing to draw out the series as long as possible. Cutting about 10 minutes of "dramatic" pauses from every episode would be an enormous improvement. :dface

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

superluser

One of these days, I'm going to watch Boogiepop Phantom.

I hear it's somehow connected to Gravity's Rainbow.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Azlan

Quote from: superluser on October 21, 2008, 04:34:19 AM
One of these days, I'm going to watch Boogiepop Phantom.

I hear it's somehow connected to Gravity's Rainbow.

Boogiepop Phantom follows a separate, rather divergent story taking place after the "destruction" of the manticore.  It is  based on the Boogiepop light novel series by Kouhei Kadono (rather interesting, but heavier cultural references than I can understand). 

As for Gravity's Rainbow, it makes vague allusions to it, but it is not majorly connected.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Eibborn

My taste in anime is very 90's. Anyone remember Gundam Wing? Five guys in giant robots, one annoying pacifist who someone put in charge of a nation during international (...interspatial? Is there a proper word, cause that isn't it.) strife, a bundle of politics and improbably beliefs? :B

Also, I consider Digimon Adventure to be intensely awesome. Obviously.

Mostly it's nostalgia that makes these two my favourites out of anything I've seen.
/kicks the internet over

Nikki

Hoo boy, here we go.

Naruto
Bleach
Vampire Knight
Death Note
DB/Z/GT
Ouran High School Host Club
Code Geass
Fullmetal Alchemist
Love Hina
Inuyasha
Fushigi Yugi
Hellsing
Rozen Maiden
Elfen Lied <- Overhyped but..meh, was ok
Zombie Loan
Wolf's Rain
Strawberry Marshmallow
Azumanga Diaoh
Digimon
Pokemon

...i think i'll stop there XDD I own a few DVD's from each of those, the only complete set i have is Wolf's Rain.

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Rakala

I dunno, Pokemon sort of wrote itself into a corner. Nearly every episode is the same and all the new Pokemon are so extravagant compared to the others.

Auragonian

QuoteI dunno, Pokemon sort of wrote itself into a corner. Nearly every episode is the same and all the new Pokemon are so extravagant compared to the others.

Yep, I can practically tell you whats bound to happen next episode
Ash and buds see a new pokemon
Team Rocket tries to steal/capture pokemon and pikachu(why won't they just give up on that?!)
They succeed and through some fluke get their butts kicked
the heroes have a happy ending for the week and throughout the whole episode Ash is Being Captain obvious and acts like a total moron.
This cycle continues until either A) the show is cancelled forever B)they run out of Pokemon, or C) Ash dies again and stays dead.

Or Chuck Norris appears and kills everyone only to get his butt kicked by Bruce Lee's Ghost or something, wouldn't that be a nice ending to a show that will only continue as long as they make the games?

Eibborn

Option B) will never happen. They'll just make 500 more.
/kicks the internet over

gh0st

Quote from: Eibbor_N on October 22, 2008, 10:35:06 PM

&!%# be trippin balls

sorry I'm just reminded of that every time pokemon comes into conversation... anyway i used to love the originals, and just before they came out with the second season was it's peak, then after i realiZed that they were capitalizing on my own stupidity i stopped being a pokeholic... not really, i secretly keep a stash of the cards in my closet, neatly alphabetized based on rarity and starting letter... Japanese cards expertly cleaned and kept in the front...

but yeah i watched the first episode of serial experiments lain, it was getting pretty wierd so i said "no" and went to watch some eureka 7.

excel saga, i got about as far with that as i did bobobo. i don't talk about that much anymore. good anime though, nearly made me pass out from laughing too hard. again went to go watch e7 or something.

Rakala

I liked the pokemon all the way up until the third games. Those were only starting to get ridiculous. The second series were okay, but I still like the original 150 the best.

PS A pox on the Smash Bros Brawl designers for putting in Lucario instead of Mewtwo.

Alondro

Quote from: gh0st on October 23, 2008, 04:28:02 AM
Quote from: Eibbor_N on October 22, 2008, 10:35:06 PM

&!%# be trippin balls

sorry I'm just reminded of that every time pokemon comes into conversation... anyway i used to love the originals

:milklaugh  That VG Cats comic made me spew my coffee.   xD
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Jack McSlay

Quote from: thegayhare on October 12, 2008, 01:07:27 AMHmm no one else seemed to mention Blue Seed.  A pretty interesting series I thought
yes shame, great series indeed. shame it got overshadowed by NGE.

I must say, the "Omake Theather" on the series are the most hilarious post-episode shorts I've seen in an anime
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Eibborn

I just started watching Onmyō Taisenki yesterday. Has anyone else seen it? Kogenta probably has an appeal for the furry crowd, and the Daoist-based world probably appeals to those among us who like Eastern culture. It's quirky, fun, and involves fighting monsters. Mega score! :D

It think it's rather nice, although I think my favourite character is actually the kids' teacher. |D She's just an interesting, clever character, in my opinion.
/kicks the internet over

Janus Whitefurr

And now it's time for another Janus screencap!

D8 "She's just going to blast through the walls? No way! Can't be! Ridiculous!" D8

gh0st

idk if its considered anime but my favorite part in avatar the last air bender is when they are looking for something specific and the blind girl says "THERE IT IS!!!" then after everyone looks "thats what it would sound like if one of you found it." then she waves her hand over her eye's..... best part..

anyways, i used to love the zany antics of stuff like bobobo and excel saga, but now i've been leaning more towards the actiony and plot ridden ones... fate/stay night ftw!