Anyone out there into anime?

Started by silentassassin, October 10, 2008, 02:12:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack McSlay

Quote from: Vidar on October 10, 2008, 03:04:55 PMhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnVCYOUB0gY

This hand of mine glows with an awesome POWER!!!!
It's burning grip tells me to defeat you!
Take this! My LOVE! My ANGER!
AND ALL OF MY SORROW!!!!
SHINING FINGER!!!!!
GO! GO! GO!

Yeah, some of it is quite bad.

On the plus side, we have things such as Akira, Steam Boy, and everything of Studio Gibli. Totoro rules!
Shining finger you say?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjTCmzVNYdM

And yeah. problem with japanese studios is that they're often too little picky about what to put. take gravion for instance: the only super robot anime to get me bored so far
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Ryudo Lee

Quote from: superluser on October 10, 2008, 01:37:41 PM
Quote from: Ryudo Lee on October 10, 2008, 12:38:56 PMThis was years ago though, back after it started appearing on Adult Swim, and I took an interest in it.

1999/2000/2001 or so?  I'm referring to the same time period.

Yeah I think so.  In any case, I got them from one of those small time comic/gaming/anime shops that continually fail around here.  I never get good prices from them.  Hence why I said earlier that I haven't bought anime in bulk since then.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Janus Whitefurr

This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Auragonian

What the blazes is that from?

Anyway, I really dislike Mirage of Blaze, It's the scariest anime I've ever seen.

But yeah I still hear the end theme to outlaw star in my head sometimes it's kinda scary since I last saw the show when I was 7. Oh and Ryu kenshin and Tenci Muyo were good too.

I'm currently watching Naruto, Bleach, FMA, Code Geass, and Moribito's good too.

So yes I'm very into anime.

Jairus

Quote from: Auragonian on October 10, 2008, 10:22:25 PM
What the blazes is that from?
GaoGaiGar. A show that was basically made to respond to the angst fest that was Neon Genesis Evangelion. Along with G Gundam and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, probably one of the most hot-blooded anime to ever exist. It's also one of my favorites. Along with those other two and Code Geass and Gundam 00 and the three Nanoha series. I mainly watch/follow giant robot shows, but I make exceptions on occasion (see Nanoha). Though I have to admit to having a liking for Sayonara, Zetsubou Sensei!... if only my computer would let me play the sound with my episodes. Poop.

So, in short, I really like Anime. As anyone who has gotten to know me over the last few months can attest to.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Lady Buggery

Not so much anymore, but I still treasure the ones I liked in Highschool

Slayers,
Tenchi Muyo,
Saiyuki,
Trigun
Mononoke Hime
Shojo Kakumei Utena

And that's about it really.

Turnsky

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

ShadesFox

A lot of recent anime has been quite disappointing.  I could kill everyone involved with Trigun over the last few moment of that show alone.  That or they don't end, well after they get into a rut, re Bleach, Naruto, or the classic DBZ.

Though I do like my good old fallback, Slayers.  There are also other weird things that no one hears of, such as Super Atragon.
The All Purpose Fox

Janus Whitefurr

This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Jairus

Janus Whitefurr

Depends on whether you like a swords and sorcery cartoon that's an uneven mixture of comedic moments/running gags, and serious spellcasting business. The former tends to outweigh they latter for the first half of most seasons, and then it gets evil. Very evil. How evil?

Sore wa himitsu desu~

Then there's things like the midget vulpine bombmaker in TRY... named Jiras.

Valynth

Quote from: Zina on October 10, 2008, 09:34:22 AM
Quote from: Brunhidden on October 10, 2008, 08:44:17 AM
but keep in mind japan is the most xenophobic place on earth so when they portray anywhere else they have to add chopsticks, rice balls, and that funny belt thing they wear over there or the original japanese audience will freak and run for the hills

Actually, I have to disagree.

In fact, I'm going to have to say that's more than just a little racist.

On one hand, yes Japan is very xenophobic. On the other hand, a lot of western things(tv shows, movies, music, animations, food, fashions) are very popular in Japan. Japanese (especially the younger generation) is fascinated by western culture, and sometimes will seek to emulate it.
Western movies are shown here with Japanese subtitles(dubbed, if it's a kid's movie), and they know American actors and musicians. Western music singles are popular here, and American movies are shown on TV. And the average Japanese citizen knows exactly what's happening in America because the news ALWAYS has a segment dedicated to American and western news in general.
Yes, they have misconceptions and stereotypes when regarding the rest of the world, and some Japanese still have the mentality that there's only two races out there, Japanese and Not Japanese. But they're not going to run or freak out if they run into something that isn't Japanese in origin. In fact, they'll probably embrace it.
To say they need to add chopsticks and rice balls in order to enjoy something or else they'll be afraid of it is just absolutely ignorant.

You might wanna tell these guys that....
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Zina

Quote from: Valynth on October 11, 2008, 01:30:11 AM

You might wanna tell these guys that....

Read that article carefully. It's not saying that the Japanese inn owners hate foreigners and are scared of them, but rather they don't feel they are suited to support foreign guests in their tiny, traditional style Japanese inns. Taking in foreign guests who speak a language you don't is daunting for anyone.

And regardless, the statistics in this article are pretty skewed to begin with. It tries to make it sound like a lot of inns don't want foreign guests, but that isn't true. It even says further down that generally a lot of inns DO accept foreigners. But among the numbers that don't(however big or small that is), the majority don't want any in the future. Say, ten don't get foreign guests, and then six said they didn't want any in the future. There you go, that's the majority.

JackLee1978

Berserk - After watching the anime and it's "WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO THEM" ending, I got the first 14 volumes on e-bay. I was surprised that Dark Horse didn't censor any of the sex, violence, rape and gore. The series starts out slow, but it keeps getting better and better.

Price of Anime - It is true that anime is expensive, but I suggest you routinly check out RightStuf. They usually have great sales including 25 for $100 deals.

A few recommendations

Lupin the 3rd - Sadly Geneon collapsed before releasing the rest of series.
Macross - Not the Frankenstein series known as Robotech.
Dominion Tank police
Nadia: Secret of Blue Water
Fushigi Yugi
A Little Snow Fairy Sugar
Adventures of the Mini-Goddesses
Samurai 7
Basilisk
Gungrave
Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight
Go Nagai's The Devil Lady
Azumanga Daioh
Gunslinger Girl
Black Lagoon

Give me the name of a movie or TV series and I might be able to name an anime that would complament(?) it.

Janus Whitefurr

And now yet another screencap. I should get my collections out....

Jack McSlay

for anyone who liked Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and/or Yuusha Ou Gaogaigar, I'd recommend Daikuumaryuu Gaiking (the new one, not the ancient one from the 70's)

Because there's really something epic about giant robots with DBZ-inspired fight scenes

King Of Hearts

Hey... someone else like Vampire Princess Miyu.

Personally... I didnt like Legend of Daikyuu Maryuu that much save for the arc ending battles... felt a bit like they were just cashing in on the legacy of the machine at times. But then again... I also felt that way on the new Raideen series.

most of the stuff I like has been posted...

so Here's an obscure one

Ginga Sengoku Gun Yuden  Rai

This is Romance of the Three Kingdoms meet Star Wars. Its truly an epic showing the story of a boy, who became a soldier, who became a captain, who became a governor, who became an emperor, who became a hero... This story is an epic, and Im not using the word lightly.

...anyone who has an inkling towards the Genso Suikoden games should check this out.

another recommendation

Macross: Frontier

If you've ever liked a Macross anime before... be it Plus, 7, Zero, etc. you should check out the franchise's 25th anniversary production. Great production values, especially the songs, and great focus on the character development. Currently my7 fave anime of this season and the character Im using as my avvy is also from the same show.

This is also the first time that I didnt mind 3d mechas.

another recommendation

Princess Tutu

I wont lie to you, this is a very girly anime. But that shouldn't stop you from watching its storytelling style that emulates old world telling of tragedies, of hope, of dreams. This also has the best music that Ive heard in a long while... mostly because its songs are the works of the masters, that is to say classical music. Just way till you get halfway trough and see how they used "Swan Lake."

great characters, great villains, great music, great story.

Jack McSlay

Vampire Princess Miyu is quite good IMHO. I wished I could have seen more EPS

Another interesting ones:

Red Baron - Super robot show with sort of a vibe from saint seiya
Cybaster - So-so, but interesting for those who are into SRW
Those Who Hunt Elves - Funny as heck
Gasaraki - Not for those who dislike evangelion
Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 - Berserking robot hunting yay
Eatman 98 - A weird mercenary in weird situations
Let's Dance With Papa - Retarded-fashion humor

Man I miss the Locomotion channel...

Lady Buggery

My Take on Slayers: It turns the traditional fantasy story on its head, kicks it in the face, covers it in honey, and leaves it on top of an ant hill.

I think it's great, but you need to be open minded about the token cross dressing episodes in each season. :3 I think those were my favorite. :mowmeep

Auragonian

I thought I heard somewhere they were making a new season of slayers,

so any thoughts on abridged animes?

Huh, that dread feelings back, it's not a "bout' to break the rules" dread but a "saying you hate startrek at a trekkie convention" kind of dread.

Jairus

Quote from: Auragonian on October 11, 2008, 09:37:15 AM
so any thoughts on abridged animes?

Huh, that dread feelings back, it's not a "bout' to break the rules" dread but a "saying you hate startrek at a trekkie convention" kind of dread.
Heh, Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series is one of my favorites to watch. I really haven't watched any other abridged series, though.

According to David Morgan-Mar, one thing you could do is walk into a fantasy convention and yell either "Balrogs have wings!" or "Balrogs don't have wings!" Or at a Star Wars convention, say that the prequels were the equals to the originals. Or that you appreciate Jar-Jar as a character. Or that the love story in the prequels makes perfect sense when you think about it. Or that Han shot second. All of those things are bad things to do.

superluser

Quote from: Jairus on October 11, 2008, 11:49:54 AMOr that you appreciate Jar-Jar as a character.

Interestingly, the comic irregulars (of which David M-M is a part) are making a webcomic that makes you like Jar-Jar and hate R2D2.  And it's working.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Jairus

Quote from: superluser on October 11, 2008, 01:24:53 PM
Quote from: Jairus on October 11, 2008, 11:49:54 AMOr that you appreciate Jar-Jar as a character.

Interestingly, the comic irregulars (of which David M-M is a part) are making a webcomic that makes you like Jar-Jar and hate R2D2.  And it's working.
"Jar-Jar, you're a genius!"

I know, I've been following them since the beginning. "Ten foot laser pole?"

Alondro

Arg!

Tenchi and Trigun and Evangelion!

I've seen so many series I can't even remember them all!   :B

Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Lysander

I am very much a fan of Slayers too, one of the probably many I forgot to type in my list. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes fantasy anime and comedy. Many fantasy anime I've seen is mostly serious which is good, but Slayers does well with the humor. The sword of cold and darkness that is the Ragna Blade is awesome.    :cecil   I also really like Galvayra, bow of light.

:januscat
TytajLucheek

Janus Whitefurr

And now, another screencap from the Janus Division!

Sunblink

Oh damn, I forgot all about Trinity Blood. Trinity Blood is pretty awesome too.

I really should've edited my last post, but I don't care. :B

ShadesFox

I was really let down by Trinity Blood.  The show just fell flat on it's ass with the ending.
The All Purpose Fox

King Of Hearts

Havent seen the end yet... the show was pretty slow for me... I decided to take a hiatus around the ep with the Kid Vamp ion the desert or the Noise attack on the vatican...

Sunblink

Quote from: ShadesFox on October 11, 2008, 09:28:28 PM
I was really let down by Trinity Blood.  The show just fell flat on it's ass with the ending.

I haven't seen the ending, so that's really disappointing to hear. I was really enjoying the episodes I was watching.