Large Hadron Collider

Started by Tapewolf, September 09, 2008, 06:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

CERN brings the Large Hadron Collider up for First Light tomorrow, as I'm sure many people are aware.  Some people have actually sent death threats fearing that it will destroy the world, even though the system at full strength will be far, far less powerful than ordinary cosmic rays.

This did crack me up, though:
http://kuvaton.com/bshit/1220360595652.jpg

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 09, 2008, 06:55:58 PM
CERN brings the Large Hadron Collider up for First Light tomorrow, as I'm sure many people are aware.  Some people have actually sent death threats fearing that it will destroy the world, even though the system at full strength will be far, far less powerful than ordinary cosmic rays.

Doctor Freeman? That's it, we're all gonna get enslaved by alien overlords.

Zedd

Oh I can handle it, We will be just fine..I believe surely that most things we've humans come so far finding the mysteries of life will lead to one thing mostly either for good or bad,
  I know we will make it out alright no matter what 

Tapewolf

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Cvstos

... **** ... ****!! Quick, start up an underground railroad system leading people out of major metropolitan areas and into areas outside cities that can get their own power source (without being noticeable) and are easily secured. Also, get orange spray paint cans. I'll start marking the route with Lamda symbols.

AND GIVE THAT SCIENTIST A CROWBAR!

We must prepare for unforeseen consequences...
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

King Of Hearts

*prepares an "Implicate Order" Annihilation Field generator*

I may be spagghetified in an infinite amount of time, but by god, I am taking all creation with me!

Kasarn

Stygian

'So, this Higgs boson... If you find it... Just what would that mean for science?'

'Oh, it would be really exciting and interesting, I can tell you that at least.'

'And if you don't find it?'

'Oh, that would be just as interesting, if not even more.'

'...'

Janus Whitefurr

"This is a type-13 planet in the end of its cycle. They usually destroy themselves through war, or through some scientist trying to determine the mass of the Higgs-Boson, causing the entire planet to collapse into an ultradense particle about the size of a pea." ~ 790, LEXX.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Jairus

Hey, look on the bright side: tomorrow we'll be one step closer to this guy!

For those who don't know, that's a Hadron Blaster collapsed on Lancelot's backpack.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Azlan

We may see a problem after our sun has died...
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

superluser

A brief tour of the LHC.  I don't think I want to know what else is on their playlist.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Cvstos

Quote from: superluser on September 09, 2008, 11:29:08 PM
A brief tour of the LHC.  I don't think I want to know what else is on their playlist.

Tough! :D

Here's hoping for fast-paced and gigantic breakthroughs in science from LHC.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

superluser

Quote from: Cvstos on September 09, 2008, 11:47:59 PMTough! :D

When I first heard that, I was quite upset that it was not the Stephen Hawking voice.

Azlan

If they can prove the existence of the Higgs boson it would elucidate so much in particle physics.  This could very well be a turning point... or a proverbial flash in the pan, er... accelerator.   
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

ShadesFox

I say we throw an end of the world party in celebration!
The All Purpose Fox

superluser

Quote from: Azlan on September 10, 2008, 12:52:39 AMIf they can prove the existence of the Higgs boson it would elucidate so much in particle physics.  This could very well be a turning point... or a proverbial flash in the pan, er... accelerator.

If they don't find the Higgs, someone may want to speak to Gerardus 't Hooft and Martinus J.G. Veltman about that whole 1999 Nobel Prize in Physics thing.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Cvstos on September 09, 2008, 08:19:25 PM
AND GIVE THAT SCIENTIST A CROWBAR!

Just for that, I'm going to check the news and see if any of the pictures have him wandering around in the background with a crowbar...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

superluser

Alondro

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on September 09, 2008, 06:59:08 PM

Doctor Freeman? That's it, we're all gonna get enslaved by alien overlords.

I'll only start worrying when the professors are all named Dr. John Bigbooty and Dr. John Smallberries.   :B

Somebody give me an overthruster!

I need Charline here for the many innuendos that could be made with that statement.   :P
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Mao

"Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman. Rise and shine. Not that I wish to imply you have been sleeping on the job. No-one is more deserving of a rest. And all the effort in the world would have gone to waste until... well, let's just say your hour has come again. The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So, wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes. "

llearch n'n'daCorna

.. isn't that?

No, sorry, that's Gordon Frohman. My mistake.

Mao

We really don't want Frohman there when they turn the LHC on.  I'd like it to not be a lethal disaster of any sort caused by a combine-loving idiot... no matter how amusing they are.

Jairus

Quote from: Stygian on September 09, 2008, 09:02:13 PM
'So, this Higgs boson... If you find it... Just what would that mean for science?'

'Oh, it would be really exciting and interesting, I can tell you that at least.'

'And if you don't find it?'

'Oh, that would be just as interesting, if not even more.'

'...'
Where did you find this, Stygian? Because, really, it is absolutely amazing. And I agree: whether we prove or disprove the existence of the Higgs Boson particle, it will be extremely interesting. Part of me wants them to disprove it, just to completely screw with all of those TV shows and books that used it as a Deus ex Machina... and also because it would imply - to me at least - that the universe has more secrets to give up. That's science for you: you learn something, no matter what.

And I doubt they'd take that Nobel prize away. Even if the Higgs Boson particle doesn't exist, it was still a great theory that attempted to answer the question.

As for the crowbar, seriously... get that guy one. Get him a special holster for it so he can carry it everywhere.

Meanwhile, hasn't it been spun up by now? Or at least for a test run? Has the world ended yet?

superluser

Quote from: Jairus on September 10, 2008, 11:19:04 AMAnd I doubt they'd take that Nobel prize away. Even if the Higgs Boson particle doesn't exist, it was still a great theory that attempted to answer the question.

My point was more that mainstream physics expects the Higgs to exist and has been basing theories around that presumption. If it doesn't exist, it's going to be a much bigger shock, and many of our theories will have to be altered.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 10, 2008, 08:31:14 AMNo, sorry, that's Gordon Frohman. My mistake.

The sausage king of Chicago?

Jairus

I don't know if anyone saw this (probably), but the LHC is the theme of the most recent xkcd. It's certainly one way to open a conversation.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Jairus on September 10, 2008, 02:29:14 PM
I don't know if anyone saw this (probably), but the LHC is the theme of the most recent xkcd. It's certainly one way to open a conversation.

Oh, dear.

Quantum physics enthusiasts will note:
Top, Bottom, Strange, Charm, Up, and Down are all attributes of subatomic particles... making xkcd cleverer than usual, a task worthy of note in itself.

Alondro

They're the 6 types of quarks theorized to exist.

I seem to have an overabundance of the Strange one.   :B
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Jairus

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 10, 2008, 02:51:34 PM
Quote from: Jairus on September 10, 2008, 02:29:14 PM

Oh, dear.

Quantum physics enthusiasts will note:
Top, Bottom, Strange, Charm, Up, and Down are all attributes of subatomic particles... making xkcd cleverer than usual, a task worthy of note in itself.

Wow... that is amazing. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. If he made a shirt like that, I'd buy one.

Teroniss

Of course the experiment that will actually COLLIDE the protons doesnt begin til the end of next month. Even the scientists in charge of the experiment say there is a small for tiny blackholes. Though they don't think they will have enough energy to be self-sustaining. Let's hope their calculations in how blackholes work are correct.