Large Hadron Collider

Started by Tapewolf, September 09, 2008, 06:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Jairus

Quote from: superluser on September 17, 2008, 02:16:56 PM
Quote from: Rakala on September 17, 2008, 10:55:45 AMSo.... the univserse is a sphere? How do you get nothingness into a shape?

Another popular shape is the torus.  It's like a ring, but it has a cross-section of two circles, instead of something flatter:

I'm not sure what the pink frosting represents...
The pink frosting obviously represents dark matter, which helps to keep the universe stable and makes it so damn tasty. Either that, or Janus is the creator of the universe. Or the donut, I forget which.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Rakala

Okay, I know have a new theory to the end of the universe. My thought was the frosting represents the amount of the universe that is made up of non-dark matter.

Brunhidden

i now feel compelled to bring out my doughnut recipes and see if any of them have a profound understanding of physics  other then the connection between active dry yeast and the big bang
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Vidar

Someone make a doughnut recipe thread!
I needs mah periodic deep-fried sugar-glazed confection without ingredients I can't pronounce.

Explaining the expansion of space-time at the big bang is rather difficult since all the analogies have flaws in them. How do you explain the expansion of time itself?
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Brunhidden

Quote from: Vidar on September 18, 2008, 04:03:14 AM
How do you explain the expansion of time itself?

Did i not JUST say its YEAST!

pay attention, sometimes i feel like i am being purposefully ignored

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Brunhidden on September 19, 2008, 09:13:06 AM
pay attention, sometimes i feel like i am being purposefully ignored

You are.

I mean, uh, did anyone hear anything? I can't hear a thing... ;-]

Brunhidden

:U        YEAST!

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Jairus on September 17, 2008, 02:21:21 PM
The pink frosting obviously represents dark matter, which helps to keep the universe stable and makes it so damn tasty. Either that, or Janus is the creator of the universe. Or the donut, I forget which.

God of doorways and gateways, beginnings and endings!  :3
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

techmaster-glitch

Back on the subject of the LHC, I've just stumbled across something. Pulled from TVTropes, bottom of the Earth Shattering Kaboom page;

QuoteA lawsuit was filed to keep CERN from turning on the Large Hadron Collider for fear that it would create a black hole and destroy Earth. The lawsuit failed, and the LHC is scheduled to become active on September 10th, 2008. Cross your fingers.
Note that while the LHC is being fired up in September, the actual proton-splitting won't take place until October. And that even if it did create a black hole its effect would depend on whether it evaporates, which itself depends on the existence of as-yet theoretical Hawking radiation. Also, there is concern about a similar strange matter oriented disaster.
On an extremely encouraging note, the name "Large Hadron Collider" was deemed too plain and it has been suggested that the device be renamed. Its new moniker? "Halo".

This is the page linked that provides the information. I'm not sure if it's a credible or reliable source, since I'm not a newswatcher :B But if it is...

The sheer amount of irony in all this is just nauseating. First, there's the obvious irony. They say it's not going to destroy anything, yet they call it Halo. Then there's how they're attriubuting the meaning of the name: 
Quote"Halo conjures visions of radiant beauty, power and wisdom. The circle of light reflects the collider's form; it is a crowning achievement of science and engineering. It also gives more than a nod to the experiment's importance to religious debate."
despite the fact that this name was picked by popular suggestion, which almost certainy means they completely missed what everyone else had in mind. The third? the mention Half-Life 2 and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, yet they did not mention the namesake.
   All in all, they picked what they thought was a good name, while seemingly oblivious to what it means to the rest of us.

Reassuring indeed. *we are doomed!*

superluser

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on September 24, 2008, 12:02:53 AMthey call it Halo.

`They' in this case are the Royal Society of Chemistry, who are not CERN.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

techmaster-glitch

Forgive my ignorance, but who are these two groups, and why does it matter? :B

I was just bringing up some humorous irony about the LHC's new unofficial nickname...

superluser

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on September 24, 2008, 12:41:30 AMForgive my ignorance, but who are these two groups, and why does it matter? :B

I was just bringing up some humorous irony about the LHC's new unofficial nickname...

Sorry.

CERN operates the LHC, and any official nickname would have to come from them.

It would be like if I declared that the LHC would henceforth be called Black Mesa.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Vidar

I propose the name "Experimental Planetary Annihilator #3". It'll leave the luddites guessing where the other 2 doomsday devices went.

Brunhidden

those dang marketing and PR people, why cant we just call it a 'Doomsday Device' anymore? is it copywrited? no, just 'bad publicity' they say

Alondro

It should be called 'Charles'...

... for reasons that shall soon becme clear!   :mwaha
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

llearch n'n'daCorna

Alondro

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 24, 2008, 09:53:55 AM
Quote from: Alondro on September 24, 2008, 08:25:35 AM
... becme clear!   :mwaha

I think they just did. ;-]

*adds the box to his revenge list!*  I'll learn ya fer makin fun of my sleep-deprivation-induced spelling errors!   >:O

*the very next day, the box finds that he has been used to ship the latest installment of the Limbaugh Letter!* 

BWAH HA HA HA!!!   :mwaha
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

Vidar

Quote from: Alondro on September 24, 2008, 10:11:31 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 24, 2008, 09:53:55 AM
Quote from: Alondro on September 24, 2008, 08:25:35 AM
... becme clear!   :mwaha

I think they just did. ;-]

*adds the box to his revenge list!*  I'll learn ya fer makin fun of my sleep-deprivation-induced spelling errors!   >:O

*the very next day, the box finds that he has been used to ship the latest installment of the Limbaugh Letter!* 

BWAH HA HA HA!!!   :mwaha

It's your own fault for not using the "Spell Check" button.

*has the box returned to sender* :mwaha

llearch n'n'daCorna

*adds the box to his revenge list!*  I'll learn ya fer makin fun of my sleep-deprivation-induced spelling errors!   >:O

... You mean I wasn't already on it, several times over?

I feel snubbed. Slighted, even...

Alondro

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 24, 2008, 11:25:54 AM
*adds the box to his revenge list!*  I'll learn ya fer makin fun of my sleep-deprivation-induced spelling errors!   >:O

... You mean I wasn't already on it, several times over?

I feel snubbed. Slighted, even...

You weren't considered important enough.   >:3

Brunhidden

would it be easier if we just changed Aldondo's name to 'Doomsday Device'?