Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Started by Mao, August 26, 2008, 09:58:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mao

This is a game that I am really excited about.  Though I have to admit, I'm not sure which of my systems to get it for.  There is the ever present awesomeness of having it on the wii so I can have the pleasure of using the wii-mote like an actual lightsaber.  The cost is that the rating is lower, meaning that the content has been softened up a bit.  The reward for that though, is that they've added a vs. mode exclusively for the wii.

On the other hand, the PS3/Xbox360 versions have the unedited content but lack the wii-mote and vs. mode.  This is a tough one for me. :S

What do you guys think?  What system will you get it for (or do you want it for) and why?

Jairus

Well, I have no choice in the matter: PS3. I mean, I could get it for my PS2, but that would be somewhat silly. As it is, I have an N64, a PS2, and a PS3 (I have to get a DS and PSP at some point for 358/2 Days and Birth by Sleep, but that's not important yet). But I'm just going to horribly misquote Yahtzee, and say that this generation is the most balanced of any generation to come yet and basically comes down to which console you want.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Rakala

Wii. No doubt. Most of the time I have a lot more fun with the Wii versions of the game because they take full advantage of the Wiimote. Bully, The Godfather, both great examples as to what I mean.

Mao

It just bugs me that they're wussing out the content a bit on the Wii.  I want the truth.  If there's blood and guts, I want to see them.  If there's a curse word intended to be there, I want to hear it.  You're right though, the wii-mote definitely adds to the experience.

Rakala

I dunno, Nintendo is being a bit less iffy about blood and guts. Just play No More Heroes and you'll see what I mean.

Mao

Played it.  Wasn't impressed.

In the case of force unleashed, the ratings board has given it a lower rating than the other versions of the games.  So it's not a case of nintendo being less iffy.  Content has been altered/cut and I don't like that.  I want what the developers wanted and intended of their story.  As much as is possible.

As I said though, there's the undeniable fun of the wii-mote and the bonus vs. mode in the Wii version.  Hence why I'm having such a hard time deciding.

Rakala

Ah. Well I definitely wouldn't get it for the 360. Very few games I've played for the 360 that weren't shooters didn't turn out too well. Granted this could be the exception I've kinda stopped taking the risk whenever possible. I do admit this is kinda ignorant by it's my own decision and I'm sticking by it.

Ryudo Lee

When I get around to putting some money aside for it... the Wii.  Because I don't have a PS3 or 360 :3

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Zedd

Just playing the demo and it's fucking awesome

Jairus

Quote from: Zedd on August 26, 2008, 09:51:36 PM
Just playing the demo and it's fucking awesome

I know. When I finally figured out how to force pull someone into a lightsaber and then blow them away with a Force Blast to finish them off... awe, man, I cannot wait for the full game!

Azlan

I officially use the force to smite all of you.  If only they had included the PC as a platform.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

ShadesFox

Unfortunately the big name game vendors are moving away from the PC.  Probably because they discovered that any sort of anti-piracy measures on the PC are futile, and instead of getting smart they are getting further dumb.  I'll just wait and see how things turn out, though I'm leaning towards the Wii version.
The All Purpose Fox

Mao

Yeah, the demo on the PS3 is what cinched the sale for me.. but the decision of which platform to get it for is wracking my brain.  For now I've got it reserved for the PS3.. but that vs. mode in the wii version is enticing.

Kipiru

Hmm, tough choice! sitting comfortably in a soft chair with a wireless in your hand, oogling at all the blood (if any), or wildly dancing around as you try to lob off the hands of your opponent with an imaginary lightsaber in the forms of a wiimote? No, wait, it's not that tough(for me at least)  :starwars

Mao

Honestly, if it's just a bit of blood censored, I'm not going to care as much.  What I'm more concerned about is dialogue.

Rakala

Yeah, the dialogue is the really important thing. They can cut out as much blood and guts as they want, that doesn't ruin the game as much as cutting dialogue.

Gareeku

I'll be getting it for the Wii because I only have a wii (aside from a ps2, but weilding the wiimote like a lightsaber is win). I don't care in the slightest if the other 2 versions have more blood and guts in. If that's all people care about in a game, then god help us all.

Mao

Yeah, I'm with you on that Gareeku.  I'm just worried that they messed with the other content enough to warrant taking the rating down a notch.  If it's just blood and such, couldn't really care less.  The other factor is the that the graphics on the Wii aren't as good.. but man that vs. mode sounds wicked and extra content is always a win as well.

Akisohida

Quote from: Mowser on August 26, 2008, 10:59:33 AM
It just bugs me that they're wussing out the content a bit on the Wii.  I want the truth.  If there's blood and guts, I want to see them.  If there's a curse word intended to be there, I want to hear it.  You're right though, the wii-mote definitely adds to the experience.

There is no blood and guts I know of and I have the 360 demo (and preordered the 360 version). They took out cutting off limbs so the game would get a lower rating. BUt dag! I played the demo on teh hardest (for it) difficulty (the 3rd hardest out of 4, the fourth being locked) and cleared the demo without dying.
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Rakala

Really? The AT-AT didn't give you any trouble? Must've just been me and my obsession with throwing storm troopers at it.

Mao

Nah, you can just sit and whip stuff at it from a distance.  It's not a trouble at all.  If you get far enough away it won't even fire at you.

Jairus

Quote from: Rakala on September 04, 2008, 10:53:25 AM
Really? The AT-AT didn't give you any trouble? Must've just been me and my obsession with throwing storm troopers at it.
I'm just warning you, Rakala, that the nerd in me is currently screaming "It's an All-Terrain Scout Transport, not an All-Terrain Armored Transport!" at you. And yes, that fight was awesome (though remembering that AT-AT's need snowspeeders or grendes thrown right into their bodies to kill, while AT-ST's can be defeated by fuzzy teddy bears does somewhat detract from the awesome, but they were clever teddy bears who had to work together while you can do it by yourself, so it all balances out in the end).

Rakala

My bad. But if you know exactly what it stands for you are a major nerd, but I've seen bigger. In the Star Wars rpg the creator received death threats because he got the length of the ship wrong. The way he figured out the length of the ship is he figured out that the Death Star has a similar diameter to the moon. Taking that he compared it to a planet and that way he compared it to the sizeof the ship and got it's exact length.  :mowdizzy

Jairus

Quote from: Rakala on September 04, 2008, 12:21:30 PM
My bad. But if you know exactly what it stands for you are a major nerd, but I've seen bigger. In the Star Wars rpg the creator received death threats because he got the length of the ship wrong. The way he figured out the length of the ship is he figured out that the Death Star has a similar diameter to the moon. Taking that he compared it to a planet and that way he compared it to the sizeof the ship and got it's exact length.  :mowdizzy
Well that's silly... everyone knows that the first Death Star had a diameter of 160 kilometers and the second one had one of 900 kilometers. Which ship was he supposedly trying to figure out?

Oh dear lords, don't answer that question. I need to watch a mecha series. Hold up... oh great, now I'm remembering Star Trek stuff, and I'm not even a fan anymore!

Um, demo great, two weeks to game release, yay!

Mao

Eh, this is a thread about a Star Wars game.  It already had Nerd written all over it.  If you're posting here, you're already a nerd.  So really, lets not sit and weigh in on nerdiness of one another.  Lets just bask in our communal nerdiness and patiently await a game that will allow us to have our nerd-gasms in the comfort of our own living rooms.  I know I will.

Btw, I've settled on the PS3 version.  The difference is the nerve simulation engine, the survival ai and the graphics engine.  Essentially the ps3/x-box versions are able to make it more realistic in exchange for less content.  Not knowing whether or not that content is story related bothers me, but if it is, I'm sure it's just a matter of time before it becomes available on the PSN or XBLA.  Not knowing for sure about how the ratings work, I'm able to guess that the loss of the nerve simulation and survival ai makes for a slightly less graphic fate for our poor victims hence the lowered rating.

Akisohida

Rofl. I pushed that walky-thing off the edge of the platform by dodging and using force push again and again.
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

VSMIT

Quote from: Mowser on September 04, 2008, 12:50:35 PM
Eh, this is a thread about a Star Wars game.  It already had Nerd written all over it.  If you're posting here, you're already a nerd.
Which is why I'm not posting here.

Wait...  Dammit.
Quote from: Jairus on September 04, 2008, 12:24:56 PM
Which ship was he supposedly trying to figure out?
I would think Super Star Destroyer.

Man, I want this game...  Now I have to go buy it...

Mao

Quote from: Akisohida on September 04, 2008, 01:28:54 PM
Rofl. I pushed that walky-thing off the edge of the platform by dodging and using force push again and again.

Hmm.. I'm going to have to try that.  That sounds like fun.

Rakala

Quote from: VSMIT on September 04, 2008, 01:42:39 PM
{quote author=Jairus link=topic=4974.msg223793#msg223793 date=1220545496]
Which ship was he supposedly trying to figure out?
I would think Super Star Destroyer.
[/quote]

Yeah. The Star Destroyers. Which in a trailer of the game the main character uses the force to knock one out of the sky. ^^ GLEE! This is the only game so far where you get to truly unlock the potential of the force. Everybody else did it quite well, this game is just improving on something others have done before.

Mao

So I got my copy for the PS3 last night....  :eager  :cvheart  I freakin' love it already.  Especially once I found the sith robes.  That just felt right.