Face tutorial!
9 (28.1%)
Hands!
7 (21.9%)
Get back to work on your comic!
16 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 30

WhiteFox

The comics that don't show up have to do with the numbering, namely whether the first 1 to 9 strips are numbered, for example, dsof03.jpg or dsof3.jpg. The images had their file names changed so the bugged code would work, but then he fixed the code. We haven't changed the file names back since.

llearch: http://www.northernelectric.ca/~whitefox/comics/dmfa/phparchive/Archives.php is the url for the page on my hosting, but it downloads a file rather then runs the script. Take a look if you like. Either there's a problem with the hosting, or something isn't implemented correctly. I dunno, maybe the directory has to be named properly or something.

Unless, or course, it works for you but not me and you get the html archive page instead of a php file to download. Then my head will explode.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

GabrielsThoughts

first two pages of the webcomic test link are broken...I haven't checked for others.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Fox NaBan on December 21, 2008, 06:04:59 PM
llearch: http://www.northernelectric.ca/~whitefox/comics/dmfa/phparchive/Archives.php is the url for the page on my hosting, but it downloads a file rather then runs the script. Take a look if you like. Either there's a problem with the hosting, or something isn't implemented correctly. I dunno, maybe the directory has to be named properly or something.

Unless, or course, it works for you but not me and you get the html archive page instead of a php file to download. Then my head will explode.

Sounds like your host doesn't support php.

Talk to your hoster, and ask them. Or find a better hoster - xepher leaps into mind...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

WhiteFox

Currently, my webhosting is a corner of my dad's space. He's got php on his site, but it wont work on mine. I just have to poke him about it enough.

Anyway,

DSOF #28: Hindsight

I like how the fire came out. I'm a lot happier with the inking, too.

I started laying out panels on paper, and i think it works much better. Unfortunatly, I now come to realize that my scanner seems to scan the page out of alignment, as the page ends up being about 5 or ten degrees off kilter. I hope I don't need a new scanner.

Also: Just for giggles.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

llearch n'n'daCorna

WhiteFox

Damn... I been away for a while. I'd tell the whole story behind where I've been, but it'd basically be a twelve hour wangst-fest.

Short version: Fell apart over christmas, got it all back together, now a job that takes up a chunk of my day normally used for art-making. But hey, food and rent are good.

So: DSOF #29: I couldn't think of a good title.

This page is crap cuz I've been trying to get back on the ball for weeks now. Well, comments and critiques appreciated anyway.

(PS: My PHP archive page is all effed up. It works now, except that it wont go to page 28 or 29. Conclusion; I am not a programmer and I hate computers.)

!KCA

I imagine most sane people assumed Real Life happened. But, you're back now and doing okay! So, yay!

On the comic, I get the impression that Theo's mother keeps answering his question without really answering his question. Does she often do this sort of obfuscation? Is Theo ever going to get a straight answer? Was that last bit ("She's a lovely girl," etc.) his straight answer?

WhiteFox

Apologies for my inactivity, real life is still happening and has been taking up a lot of my time recently.

Quote from: !KCA on February 12, 2009, 11:17:36 PM
On the comic, I get the impression that Theo's mother keeps answering his question without really answering his question. Does she often do this sort of obfuscation? Is Theo ever going to get a straight answer? Was that last bit ("She's a lovely girl," etc.) his straight answer?

When Theo asks what the verdict is, there are essentially two answers to be had: Her verdict investigating the incident, and her verdict as a mother meeting her sons girlfriend. In that much, that was a straight answer.

However, Alianarra is a druid. And druids can be as confusing enigmatic and evasive cryptic as any wizard or shaman. So, yeah, she does that sort of obfuscation all the time. Theo's used to it, though.

And without further ado:
DSOF #30
Enjoy. Comments/Critiques appreciated.

Kipiru

I love the perspective in the first panel, her body is positioned so naturally! Well done!

Tapewolf

Cool.  I'd ask why she looks so different in her dream, but I guess we'll probably find out.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

WhiteFox

Quote from: Kipiru on March 02, 2009, 01:10:46 AM
I love the perspective in the first panel, her body is positioned so naturally! Well done!

*Fist pump* Woot.I was hoping that'd come off well.

On the same vein, I like how the  spots on her leg came out in the second panel.

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 02, 2009, 04:41:46 AM
Cool.  I'd ask why she looks so different in her dream, but I guess we'll probably find out.

Probably. Or I could be one of those cartoonists that never really resolves major elements of the comic.

Hmm... Tempting.

WhiteFox

Coslplay for Animaritime 09, going on this very weekend.

Rorschach:

The mask looks bunched up at the neck, but that's just because I have my chin tucked in in this shot. It actually fits pretty well.

I lucked out on a LOT of this outfit. The trench, which has the perfect collar for the outfit, that you can't see at this angle because the lapel is flipped up, was from my brother. The mask (designed by me, sewn by mum) is a gauzey cotton (so I can breathe through it) with an actual rorschach on it, and a small bit of black mesh over the eye (so I can see out of it. Yes, only one eye. I'm half blind). The mesh is nearly invisible, even when you know it's there. I have a second mask that I like better, actually, but I don't have a pic of it just yet. The scarf is made out of the same material as the mask. Gloves and shoes I was lucky enough to have on hand and they're pretty close to the comic, right down to the stitching on the gloves and the square toes. Luckiest of all, my mom found an old pair of pinstripe pants and a fedora belonging to my dad that were just perfect. The fedora was a really expensive hat too, I'm surprised dad let me use it.

This costume was certainly not as hard to put together as, say, a fursuit or a gundam costume, but I was on a short deadline (four days) and and it came out really well. The thing that got me was that not only did I find a trench and a fedora, I found a fedora and a trench that were just right. And the gloves and shoes were just right.

Comments at the con usually go like this:
"Nice outfit."
*Nod*"Thanks."
*blank stare* "Nice voice!"
*Tip of the hat* "Thanks."

One favorite moment I had was when I tipped my hat to someone in vendor room as I passed by.
"Sorry man, there's no way Rorschach would acknowledge me."
"Sure he would." I said. "Bring your pinkies over here and I'll demonstrate."
Lawls ensued.

So, yeah, I'm having all kinds of fun.

Jairus

Awesome looking costume. It looks just like the graphic novel's character. Great job on it!
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

King Of Hearts

Hurm... possibly awesome... must investigate further.

WhiteFox

I'll have more/better pics of the costume tomorrow, probably.

DSOF #31: Patching Things Up.

Still trying to get a handle on font sizes, and what's readable at what page size. Text is kind of cramped this time. Also, speaking of fonts, I FINALLY found that comic font I downloaded, like, months ago. Looks much better.

I'm spending more time on the script these days, too. I'm looking forward to #33.

Also: After reading Watchmen, Sandman: Brief Lives, and Wil Eisners "Comics and Sequential Art" (yes, THAT Wil Eisner) I'm feeling a little more equipped to get better at page layouts, among other things. Again, looking forward to #33.

llearch n'n'daCorna

... I do believe Zinvth does not have that second "i" in it. Unless that font is small enough to make it hard to read and I'm getting confused?

Turnsky

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 09, 2009, 10:59:43 PM
... I do believe Zinvth does not have that second "i" in it. Unless that font is small enough to make it hard to read and I'm getting confused?

aye, it's hard to actually tell what font that is, i think it's Letteromatic, but it could be any of the myriad of clones out there, even comic sans.

also, it's "Picnic" there's no "k" in it.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

llearch n'n'daCorna

I should point out, "you always know what cheers me up" is slightly creepy. After all, he can read her mind...

(and I'm enjoying the story, at least. Should have commented on that...)

WhiteFox

The font is Anime Ace 2 from Blambot. I was dithering endlessly between that and Secret Agent, from the same site.

(One DMFA search later) Zinvth shows up repeatedly in DMFA, but Zinvith shows up once in Abel's Story. I'm guessing "Zinvth" is the official spelling.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 10, 2009, 08:12:01 AM
I should point out, "you always know what cheers me up" is slightly creepy. After all, he can read her mind...

In the end, I like to think that Theonor has taken the time to pay attention to what makes Jade happy. Whether that means gleaning surface thoughts, sensing emotions, or just watching facial expressions like everyone else has to, it means that he's been attentive to her. Isn't that what counts?

Besides, Jade's comments in the second last panel was to indicate that they've gone through things like this before. Alianarra commented that Jade was temperamental. And they've been going out for almost a decade. Theo's had practice making things up to her.

(and I'm enjoying the story, at least. Should have commented on that...)

Thank you! A good story will make up for bad art, but a bad story wont make up for good art. So, as much as I'm dissatisfied with the visuals, I'm very glad you like the story.

I'm just wondering if anyone's found the easter eggs yet.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: WhiteFox on March 10, 2009, 10:42:20 PM

In the end, I like to think that Theonor has taken the time to pay attention to what makes Jade happy. Whether that means gleaning surface thoughts, sensing emotions, or just watching facial expressions like everyone else has to, it means that he's been attentive to her. Isn't that what counts?

Oh, I know that was what you meant. *grin* I'm merely pointing out the alternative reading of it...

Quote from: WhiteFox on March 10, 2009, 10:42:20 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone's found the easter eggs yet.

Hrm. There were easter eggs? Nuts. I should go back and have a look for them...

WhiteFox

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 11, 2009, 07:01:38 AM
Hrm. There were easter eggs? Nuts. I should go back and have a look for them...

gl&hf.  >:3

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: WhiteFox on March 11, 2009, 11:07:38 AM
gl&hf.  >:3

Ooo, you evil.

Would you like me to provide spellcheck for the easter egg, too?

WhiteFox

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 11, 2009, 11:45:14 AM
Would you like me to provide spellcheck for the easter egg, too?
How about a grammar check? 
Unless that font is small enough to make it hard to read and I'm getting confused?
I don't think that's an actual question? :P

llearch n'n'daCorna

I could provide a grammar check for the three easter eggs, if you want.

WhiteFox

DSOF #32: This is a good plan!

If the eye looks wonky in the fourth panel, it's supposed to.

I need to spend more time on backgrounds. And remember to leave room for sound effects. And I forgot the signs in the second last panel.

Anyway, comments/critiques appreciated.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Tapewolf

Oops, looks like someone forgot to ward their lock.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Turnsky

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

WhiteFox

And now, the extremely late,
DSOF #33: Meddle not in the Affairs of Masterminds

I bet you remember when I said:
Quote from: WhiteFox on March 09, 2009, 08:56:45 PM
I'm spending more time on the script these days, too. I'm looking forward to #33.
I tried two or three layouts for #33, and I really couldn't get everything I want on one page. So I guess the script will have to wait. Grr.

I'm drawing thumbnails of the page layouts now too. I'm booked up to #38. I'm pretty sure drawing them is becoming an addiction... I just can't stop.  :<

I think I'm getting better at shading hair, at least. The backgrounds are still pretty spartan, but after redrafting the page a few times I was pretty well ready to finish the bloody page and move on.

Anyway, comments and critiques appreciated.

GabrielsThoughts

looks more like a human tf sequence, but still good.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.