Face tutorial!
9 (28.1%)
Hands!
7 (21.9%)
Get back to work on your comic!
16 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 30

WhiteFox

They're robots. I think they can do math in their heads.

Some of them, at least... Maybe.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

LionHeart

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 17, 2008, 07:04:23 AM
"Anthropomorphic Personification" is the technical term...

Death being a tall bony dude in a robe is another example of the same thing.
Somewhat fuller description of same.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

llearch n'n'daCorna

Yeah, but it's on that-site-that-sucks-everyone-in-and-eats-their-lives.

;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

WhiteFox

Still working on DSOF. Only problem being that the thought of opening Photoshop brings on a sensation akin to looking at a red hot stove element that I have to put my hand on. Trepidation, or dread, or something.

Since I don't have any drawing to do for DSOF, I keep coming up with weird stuff. Like anthropomorphized medications.

And guns.
Gun Group 1
Gun Group 2

Though the med gals are personified objects, these guys are more like characters that express their personality by their choice of weapon. There's gotta be a word for that. I had fun coming up with accessories for these guys.

Anyway, short bios:
Buck: Buckshot. Mmm, shotgun.
Ott: As in double-ought. 00-buckshot.
Cal: Caliber. Carries a rifle, probably a Remington out of a western. I kinda pictured these three as good ol' farmboys.

'Ine: Wonder Nine, with two glocks.
Mat: Automatic. I think I got the look of his gun out of a Shadowrun sourcebook.

Bull and pup: Bullpup weapons have the bolt (And usually the magazine) placed behind the trigger. Bull has a SA80, or maybe a FAMAS, which you can't see very much of, and Pup (his younger brother) has... I dunno, some SMG I made up on the spot. If I were to do a comic about these guys, I'd probably give him an FN-P90
The Enforcer: An Enforcer is an M1 Carbine with the barrel and stock cut down, turning the weapon into a .30 semi-automatic pistol.
Calico: The Calico SMG is a gun with a rather unique Helical magazine. Hers is too short in front, again drawn from vague memory.

This page is a lot more sketchy, sorry.

Fort': The AK-47 is a weapon that I've seen in movies a hundred times but couldn't really describe it to you if you asked me to.  All while I've been drawing this, I had that quote from Lord of War running through my head: "An elegantly simple 9 pound amalgamation of forged steel and plywood. It doesn't break, jam, or overheat. It'll shoot whether it's covered in mud or filled with sand... The Soviets put the gun on a coin. Mozambique put it on their flag." Kinda scary, actually.
Emm: M16. Again, the only real detail I remembered was the fat part of the barrel, and that it probably had a scope.

Breach and Bolt: Twins, in matching kevlar unitards and soundproof headgear, carrying an MP5K and an SP89, very roughly drawn. The MP5K used to show up in so many movies (nowadays, it's the FN-P90) I always thought of it as a stereotypical Hollywood gun. Hence the cheerleader quality to these two. 

Anyway... If I weren't working on DSOF, I actually had an idea for a comic for all these guys. at this rate, if I need something to draw while I'm sittin in the cafe (okay, Dairy Queen. It has free refills), I might end up making it before DSOF ever gets done.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Turnsky

Bullpup mainly refers to the reciever assembly being behind the trigger, the magazine often follows..
however, FNP90's don't load from the buttstock, but rather they load from the top.

Reference photos are your friend, obviously you did not use 'em.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

WhiteFox

On the FN P90, the bolt action is located well behind the trigger which is what, as far as I know, defines a bullpup. The P90 is called a bullpup wherever I've read about it too (not just Wikipedia, either).

As for reference, I wasn't at my computer at the time so I didn't have any. They're just prelim sketches, which I like to keep fast and loose. Taking the time to look up each gun would have disrupted my flow. Besides that, I hadn't even decided what kind of gun some of these people were going to be using, especially Mat and 'Ine (Upon checking reference, I think I had imagined something like a Px4 for 'Ine). If I were to make a comic about these guys, I would iron things out and get ref pics.

Turnsky

Quote from: Fox NaBan on November 20, 2008, 01:39:29 PM
On the FN P90, the bolt action is located well behind the trigger which is what, as far as I know, defines a bullpup. The P90 is called a bullpup wherever I've read about it too (not just Wikipedia, either).

As for reference, I wasn't at my computer at the time so I didn't have any. They're just prelim sketches, which I like to keep fast and loose. Taking the time to look up each gun would have disrupted my flow. Besides that, I hadn't even decided what kind of gun some of these people were going to be using, especially Mat and 'Ine (Upon checking reference, I think I had imagined something like a Px4 for 'Ine). If I were to make a comic about these guys, I would iron things out and get ref pics.

i'm only buying part of that excuse, you know what a P90 is, that means you've seen it at least once, you oughta know then that there is no magazine feed on the bottom of the buttstock.

http://world.guns.ru

i'm not buying "breaking my flow" either, i've found the need for reference photos often goes with the flow, so to speak.

WhiteFox

The magazine being placed under the buttstock doesn't have anything to do with whether or not it's a bullpup. The point is that the *bolt* is located behind the *trigger*.

In the image you just posted, the bullets feed into the bolt on the end of the magazine closer to the stock. Ergo, the bolt is behind the trigger, thus it is a bullpup. It's an unconventional Bullpup, as compared to an SA80 or FAMAS, but it's a bullpup.

Furthermore, To quote the site you just linked me:
"To save on size and weight, FN designers put new weapon into compact and lightweight stock of bullpup layout..." ( http://world.guns.ru/smg/smg13-e.htm , second paragraph of the description)

Turnsky

Quote from: Fox NaBan on November 20, 2008, 08:42:29 PM
The magazine being placed under the buttstock doesn't have anything to do with whether or not it's a bullpup. The point is that the *bolt* is located behind the *trigger*.

In the image you just posted, the bullets feed into the bolt on the end of the magazine closer to the stock. Ergo, the bolt is behind the trigger, thus it is a bullpup. It's an unconventional Bullpup, as compared to an SA80 or FAMAS, but it's a bullpup.

Furthermore, To quote the site you just linked me:
"To save on size and weight, FN designers put new weapon into compact and lightweight stock of bullpup layout..." ( http://world.guns.ru/smg/smg13-e.htm , second paragraph of the description)

i'm not disputing that fact.
i'm disputing that what you drew was not, infact and FN P90, i made mention earlier that bullpup is when the receiver assembly is located behind the trigger, that means the bolt, ejection mechanisms, springs and whatnot. Generally referred to as the 'action' traditional rifles such as the AR-15 derivatives (M16, m4 carbine, etc) have their action ahead of the trigger.

being australian, i know my Bullpup weapons, the standard issue assault rifle for australian military forces is the Austrian Built Steyr AUG. The true advantage of bullpup designs is not just the compact size, it's the fact that you have the same length of barrel for a smaller weapon.
The IMI Tavor, the aforementioned Steyr, the P90 (famous for its rife use in stargate). the french built FAMAS (very distinctive rifle, that), and the modular Fabrique Nationale F2000.

what you drew there looked more like a cut-down submac version of an SA-80

WhiteFox

Ah. Therein lies the confusion. The gun in the picture is not, nor was it intended to be, an FNP90:
Quote from: Fox NaBan on November 19, 2008, 10:17:19 PM
and Pup (his younger brother) has... I dunno, some SMG I made up on the spot.
(Probably inspired by the one in Halo 2)
Followed by:
If I were to do a comic about these guys, I'd probably give him an FN-P90
So I was arguing a completely different matter. Sorry for the mix up.

On another note, while we're talking about Steyr and Bullpups, I was going to draw a character (Bull+Pup's sister) called 'Chette with a Steyr ACR. I wasn't sure if they actually made a production version of the gun, though, and I couldn't think of any other weapon that used fléchette rounds. (Except as shotgun shells, now that I think about it. Hm...)

Turnsky

Quote from: Fox NaBan on November 20, 2008, 09:24:05 PM
Ah. Therein lies the confusion. The gun in the picture is not, nor was it intended to be, an FNP90:
and Pup (his younger brother) has... I dunno, some SMG I made up on the spot.
(Probably inspired by the one in Halo 2)
Followed by:
If I were to do a comic about these guys, I'd probably give him an FN-P90
So I was arguing a completely different matter. Sorry for the mix up.

On another note, while we're talking about Steyr and Bullpups, I was going to draw a character (Bull+Pup's sister) called 'Chette with a Steyr ACR. I wasn't sure if they actually made a production version of the gun, though, and I couldn't think of any other weapon that used fléchette rounds. (Except as shotgun shells, now that I think about it. Hm...)

heh, no worries, just for the sake of interest, there are a couple of bullpup shotguns around, the H&K CAWS and Pancor Jackhammer, i believe.

http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/sh18-e.htm
http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/sh10-e.htm

WhiteFox

An entire month between comics. This is unacceptable. Though the quality is not what I'd like I'm going to put my foot down, label it done, and move on the next page.

DSOF 22: Intimidating people never really works in this comic.

Panel one is wierd cause Jade is supposed to be sitting in shadow. Hence, her lack of a foot: I didn't draw one cause you weren't going to be seeing it. Lesson learned. The inks got screwed up because of a ruined Pen nib. Second lesson learned. I could go on about stuff I don't like about it art wise, and there's a lot I don't like, but I'd rather hear what you think about the page.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Might I suggest "first" and "last" links?

Or are you coding all the links and pages by hand, each time?

WhiteFox

I have a template text file that I just punch in the .jpg for the comic,  the previous and next urls, and upload it. That's why the current comic always has a broken link for the next comic.

As soon as I get a front page built, I'm going to put in First and Today links in. That means rebuilding the entire archives, but once I have a front page I'll probably want new/decent graphics and layout too so I'll need to rebuild it anyway.

llearch n'n'daCorna

mmkay. I prefer to write code so I just have to put in the image file and add a line to the db, but that's just me.

And I'll admit I'm special like that... ;-]

WhiteFox

Heck, I wish I could build a decent archive. But I have to choose between learning art and learning HTML and PHP. And though art and coding frustrate me, art frustrates me in a good way.

Who knows. Maybe once I start making comics more then ONCE A MONTH I might need an automated database.

WhiteFox

Just got back from life drawing studio. It went really well.

There are sometimes where I go in and I'm not really drawing, I'm just putting lines on a page. Today was not one of those days. Unfortunatly, most of the people there prefer 30 second to one minute poses, which aren't very good for posting. These two are ten and five minute poses, respectively.

(Warning: NSFW for nudity)
Ten minute sketch

Five minute sketch

I should be able to get a lot more then that done in 5 or ten minutes, but I'm still pretty slow.

I should note that there is a difference between a studio and a class. There's no teacher or instructor running things. It's just show up and draw.

(Edit: originally this post had thumbnails that linked to full size pics. TN's removed.)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Fox, for these sorts of drawings, one would expect links, not img tags.

Just a suggestion, mind. I mean, you _did_ tag the thread, so you got that far. ;-]

WhiteFox

Hm. You're right. I mean, I'll eventually post something that Isn't nsfw, and the thread won't be tagged, and this will still be up. Can't have that.

[EDIT] Actually, those were supposed to be thumbnail IMG's with URL tags to the full size. Bad time to start using thumbnails.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Nice drawings, though. I'm inclined to wonder what you'd manage with a half hour to draw in, with the same subject.

WhiteFox

Next week I'm going to make sure we get a 20 min. pose in. That should be interesting.

WhiteFox

It's monday. It's a new strip. Cool. I mean, late Monday, but still monday.

NSFW: Mild nudity.
DSOF #23: Not quite getting sent to the Headmistresses office.

llearch? I found the spell checker in Photoshop. I just know you're going to love that.

Anyway... comments and feedback appreciated.

llearch n'n'daCorna

*snerk*

... both for the spell checker and the exposition... Or is it expose? ;-]

WhiteFox

"Women... think in paragraphs. Great.... big... slabs of thought-meat." -Some comedian. I forget.

If there's two things I will hate in a comic, it's a story that's nothing but a huge backstory (IE: Queen of Wands and Demonology 101) and comics that have waaay too much text. Everything else I can forgive, maybe not like, but forgive, but those two are just bad storytelling.

DSOF hasn't been too bad on backstory, but it's had a lot of exposition (What are cubi. What is SAIA. What does Theo do, or is he just a college slacker?) so I've been trying to cut back on text.

So, I cannot begin to describe the trepidation with which I present,
DSOF #24: EXPOSITION.

It's Friday, it's a comic. I'm starting to like this trend, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to keep it up forever.

Comments and feedback appreciated.

[EDIT] Fixed. The link.

Suwako

He had the hot for her, or uses her for his evil ploy.....

stating the obvious, stating the obvious...

WhiteFox

*Face palm* Fixed the link in the above post to correctly go to DSOF 24. Instead of 23. D'oh.

Another line I would have used: "Do you want me to carry your grimoires for you?"

llearch n'n'daCorna

"refurbished"

Other corrections can come later, if you like. ;-]

I do like that whole "I kinda did something for you, if you want..." approach... Not for me, but for entertainment value watching someone else...

Mao

Heh, it looks like you have as many troubles with arms as I do. :)

WhiteFox

*Sigh* ACTUALLY corrected the link to go to #24 instead of #23, and correctly numbered the strip in the post. Man, I suck at this.

Quote from: Mao Laoren on December 05, 2008, 02:50:28 PM
Heh, it looks like you have as many troubles with arms as I do. :)
Are you referring to anything in particular? I'm satisfied with the way I draw arms.

I mean, it's as flawed as the rest of my drawing skills in general, but wast there something specific?

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 05, 2008, 02:22:09 PM
I do like that whole "I kinda did something for you, if you want..." approach... Not for me, but for entertainment value watching someone else...

I'm always trying to juxtapose the fact that although they're Demons and Incubi and Overlords and stuff, they're still these two young adults doing all that stereotypical relationship stuff (Yeah, I realize how cheezy it'd be if I weren't making a joke. I'm doing my best to avoid inanity here, results dubious).

Fixed the spelling, BTW.

WhiteFox

No new DSOF; broke my streak. It'll probably go up tomorrow.

I've been occupied by a lot of work I want to do for the comic, especially a proper website for it. Archive, front page, real character profile pages, the whole bit. I got caught up in all that mess and the deadline sneaked up on me.

Anyway... Got a pic of Grastillé that I'll be using for his profile.

I had fun designing the sword.

Anyway, critiques and comments appreciated. And I'm still wondering what you meant about the arms, Mao.

[Edit] Cut down the post. I talk too much.