Democratic Party primary election; Who would you vote for?

Started by Faerie Alex, April 27, 2008, 11:29:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you vote for in the primary election?

Hillary Clinton
4 (11.8%)
Clinton, but I'm under 18.
0 (0%)
Clinton, but I'm not in the USA.
1 (2.9%)
Barack Obama
8 (23.5%)
Obama, but I'm under 18.
3 (8.8%)
Obama, but I'm not in the USA.
3 (8.8%)
neither (I'm not affiliated with the Democratic party.)
6 (17.6%)
neither (I haven't followed the election.)
2 (5.9%)
either (No strong opinion, but I would vote for either in the general election.)
2 (5.9%)
either, but I'm (under 18/not in the USA).
5 (14.7%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Hanii Puppy

Nostradamus predicted that at the start of the 21st century, after a long and bloody war, a man would come in to power and bring peace for many years to come.

I'm not sure if it was simply semantics that it was "man" or not. Chances are it was semantics. Either way, it's going to be interesting  :3

Reese Tora

Quote from: Hanii Puppy on May 03, 2008, 11:17:03 PM
Nostradamus predicted that at the start of the 21st century, after a long and bloody war, a man would come in to power and bring peace for many years to come.

I'm not sure if it was simply semantics that it was "man" or not. Chances are it was semantics. Either way, it's going to be interesting  :3

Nostradamus predicted lots of things... in a mishmash of ancient french and other languages that many people take great delight in mistranslating. :B

Do you know which quatrain or quatrains this prediction is supposed to have taken place in?

(The Hister, it's a river, it was near Nostradamus, it's the same old typical 'prediction' that psychics like to makee very year... there will be hurricanes in the gulf, the mississipi will flood, and California will ahve earthquakes.  It has nothing to do with Hitler, and it's nothing new.  In any case, what good would a set of predictions be that could only be interpreted after an event has passed... and could "accurately" describe many different events thanks to it's vagueness?)
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Damaris

Valynth, I'm not amused by your attitude.  Take a chill pill, or I'll give you one.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Darkmoon

Well, the Nostradamus predictions are fun, in their own way. It's like horoscopes. Many people believe they know the truth, but the "truth" can only be gleaned after its been experienced.

However, I do think an era of long lasting peace would be good for everyone. So whether it really does apply to this year or not, I have no issue with it happening soon.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Cvstos

Well, I just voted for Barack Obama in Indiana.  First Pres primary in Indiana that's mattered within my lifetime.  Normally these things are over before they come here! It feels good to be involved in the process this time.

Valynth, I'm sorry I haven't been able to continue our discussion lately.  I've been very busy with finals.  Discrete Math was a bruiser.  I'll craft a proper response later in the week.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Fragmaster01

Quote from: Cvstos on May 06, 2008, 07:46:27 PMI've been very busy with finals.  Discrete Math was a bruiser.  I'll craft a proper response later in the week.

Do not speak of that final! Jeebus that class was horrible.

Cvstos

XD I see someone else knows what I'm talking about!  This is my second time through.  Last year the final killed me and about 8 other students.  It was easier this time but my passing still isn't 100% assured.  This prof grades ROUGH!  Seriously.  And the final is 40% of the final grade!  So a couple slips here is all it takes.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Darkmoon

Quote from: Cvstos on May 06, 2008, 07:46:27 PM
Well, I just voted for Barack Obama in Indiana.  First Pres primary in Indiana that's mattered within my lifetime.  Normally these things are over before they come here! It feels good to be involved in the process this time.

Valynth, I'm sorry I haven't been able to continue our discussion lately.  I've been very busy with finals.  Discrete Math was a bruiser.  I'll craft a proper response later in the week.

It did feel good to cast a Democratic vote in Indiana and have it count for something.

Fuyudenki

Just so I know what I'm voting against, what exactly does OsamaObama stand for?

'Cause, you know...  I was of the idea he's made his stance firmly on "nothing."

That or "I'm black."  I can't see it, honestly.  I've got a cousin who's blacker than him.(and on the pale side of the family, at that)

My cousin's too young to run for president, though.

[edit]durn typos[/edit]

Damaris

Darkmoon warned you about fearmongering.

I told you to take a chill pill.

You, sir, are having a vacation, courtesy of being an idiot.

I can forgive people for being Republican, but you're abusing the political thread by being hateful.  Enjoy your time off, and perhaps read a book.

*edit*

Just in case anyone is wondering, this ban isn't because Volfram is republican/conservative, or because of any particular political reason. 

Generally, we don't let too many politically based threads go on, as religion and politics are the best way to start a fight.  During this discussion we have been extremely pleased with the level of discourse, and proud that rational and cooler heads have prevailed, creating some interesting comments and responses from both sides.  Volfram has been the sole exception to this, choosing to be, in my opinion, both belligerent and sensationalistic, even after warnings.  The Osama/Obama comment was uneducated, pandering, and rude, and the primary reason for the ban.  No one here has to like Obama, but I expect at least a modicum of intelligence during such a volatile topic.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Dakata

I'd vote for Obama (But I can't because I'm under 18), because Hillary lies too much, and I don't trust someone who could give an ex-president power, or do his dirty work for him. But I admit, [This is pretty funny, even if it wasn't intentional.]

Quote from: Cvstos on April 30, 2008, 12:46:40 AM
- In 2000 Bush said that the next president should fight gas pricing by getting OPEC to increase production.
So instead of him doing that eight years ago, he'd rather wait for the next person to do it? What a jerk. Even if you just made a typo, he should still do it himself. He's got the power to do it now, why shouldn't he?

Quote(Everything about using water/solar energy instead of gas here)
Dunno if someone mentioned this because I just skimmed a bit, but I've heard of vegetable oil being used too. I think it's just for diesel cars though. I don't remember. Search for "grease for gas" or something like that.

I ain't readin' the rest of this thread. Even if Dam is using the banhammer. Although, I'd like a vacation too. :P You can get me a real one that doesn't involve banning, right Dams?

Darkmoon

There's a some good alternative options for fuel that we haven't explored. I think there's a company that grew out of MIT tech studies (as many do) that is looking to make a sugar-based gas-like fuel that, once at full capacity, could produce $1 a gallon tanks of gas.

Reese Tora

I'd just like to interject that, apparently, it is now numerically impossible for Hillary to win the nomination without the DNC delegates voting against the results of the primary voting up to this point.
(now, if someone were to buy off one or two super delegates... :deal )

Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about this, but I think that Obama is the stonger candidate of the two dems, and I think I've already expressed my opinion on the candidates.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Darkmoon

I don't think Hilary could win the general election. I don't think Republicans would vote for her, in high enough numbers, for her to be able to beat McCain.

Of the two, it's seemed to me that Obama has less baggage (even now), politically speaking. Of the two, he just seems like the more likely to win in the general election.

Valynth

Eh, part of my problem with Obama is his lack of political baggage.  We really don't have an idea of where/when he's gonna go wrong, where as with Hilary we have a past history to look at and predict/counter many of her future wrong moves (or at least her cabinate should).

*voted Hilary and will vote for the democrat regardless*
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Darkmoon

I have issues voting for Hillary. SHe's anti-videogame, pro-cesnsorship. That right there makes it hard for me to vote for her... not that I want McCain, certainly.

Sunblink

Quote from: Darkmoon on May 09, 2008, 07:17:20 AM
I have issues voting for Hillary. SHe's anti-videogame, pro-cesnsorship. That right there makes it hard for me to vote for her... not that I want McCain, certainly.

I keep hearing about this, but I'm still rather uninformed on the actual story. All I know is that Hillary was involved with Jack Thompson's ridiculousness in some way, but I'm not sure. She actually supports that nutjob? I find it hard for anyone with a reasonable brain in their skull to support someone as belligerent, disrespectful, fanatical, and mindlessly hateful as Thompson with a straight face.

Also, McCain makes me rather twitchy. When I heard him say "No longer are we staring into the abyss of defeat" (probably not a verbatim quote) regarding a recent (I think a month ago) troop surge success in Iraq, I was on a nasty ranting tangent for the whole day. I was probably looking too deeply into it, though.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

bill

"At least I don't plaster on the make-up like a trollop, you cu*t." - John McCain to his wife

this actually happened

Sunblink

Quote from: bill on May 09, 2008, 10:48:29 AM
"At least I don't plaster on the make-up like a trollop, you cu*t." - John McCain to his wife

this actually happened

D:

whut.

WHY HAVE I NOT HEARD OF THIS?

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Cvstos

Quick note: McCain is just as anti-violent-videogame as Hilary, if not more.  Obama has talked about the topic but has stopped way short of Hilary's and McCain's level.

Valynth

Quote from: Cvstos on May 09, 2008, 03:43:51 PM
Quick note: McCain is just as anti-violent-videogame as Hilary, if not more.  Obama has talked about the topic but has stopped way short of Hilary's and McCain's level.

Isn't it a sign of the apocalypse for a republican and a democrat to agree on anything?

Anyway, I sincerely doubt they can really do anything about games, since they'd have to get it through congress and such legislation would cause a mass revolt of public opinion, and if there's anything a politician will try to avoid it's causing a shift in public opinion away from themselves.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Dakata

Quote from: Darkmoon on May 08, 2008, 10:20:59 PM
There's a some good alternative options for fuel that we haven't explored. I think there's a company that grew out of MIT tech studies (as many do) that is looking to make a sugar-based gas-like fuel that, once at full capacity, could produce $1 a gallon tanks of gas.
Sugar? Hmm...it would be pretty cool if I could drive on candy-power..

Hell yeah. My car'd be more awesome than Bill, his ugly face, and his car combined! Even better than that silly Nascar he likes.

Quote from: bill on May 09, 2008, 10:48:29 AM

this actually happened
Pics/Vids or it didn't happen.

Quote from: Cvstos on May 09, 2008, 03:43:51 PM
Wait, so he's for the war, but against violent video games? That doesn't make any sense! Doesn't he want to just blow Iraq off the face of the Earth? I could've sworn he said something like that...