Doctor Who: The Weeping Angels

Started by Darkmoon, September 15, 2007, 01:06:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkmoon

This ep. just played on Sci-Fi here in the states. I'm sure the Brits have already seen it, but I gotta say, this episode was fantastic. Sorta like the episode last season (Series 2) about the group of Doctor Who officianados, this one followed a girl only tangentially related to the Doctor. And, much like that Series 2 ep, the Doctor only has a small role in the episode.

It's worth it for any of the Doctor Who fans that missed this episode that they go and check this out. Sci Fi may play it again, or you can wait until November when Series 3 comes out on DVD.

It's such a good episode. Had this horribly creepy vibe to it. Felt a lot more like a Hammer Films movie than a straight Doctor Who episode. It just goes to show what they can do with the format when they play around.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Zedd

I was scared of those damn angels....

RJ

I saw it a couple weeks ago... ;_;

There's a fountain with little statues on it outside my house. I'll never look at it the same way again.

Damaris

I had nightmares :(

But man, that episode was freakin' creepy.  I'm glad I live in "last 100 years" suburbia, so that I don't have to worry about statues.  *shivers*

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Darkmoon

Zedd

Cause that epsisode I refuze to blink

GabrielsThoughts

where did you see this mysterious episode, I thought they canceled DR.Who and replaced it with that sucky Flash Gordon re-make
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

xHaZxMaTx

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on September 15, 2007, 03:50:41 PM
where did you see this mysterious episode...

Quote from: Darkmoon on September 15, 2007, 01:06:48 AM
This ep. just played on Sci-Fi here in the states.

Anyway, I'm sure you can find it on TV-Links.

thegayhare

Dr Who plays right before Flash Gordan.

Personaly I think Flash Gordan is a pretty good show it's just got to grow a little more

but man I'll agree that the weeping angels ep is so effective.  I loved it, my favorite line has to be "The Weeping Angels, the kindest psychopaths in the universe."

Darkmoon

Eh, Flash Gordon didn't interest me. I gave it a few minutes while I was browsing, and it just felt like a mesh of a show, one that really had potential, but in no way knew how to tap into it.

Zedd

Quote from: Darkmoon on September 15, 2007, 06:14:01 PM
Eh, Flash Gordon didn't interest me. I gave it a few minutes while I was browsing, and it just felt like a mesh of a show, one that really had potential, but in no way knew how to tap into it.
Cause everyone knows the one with the Queen music rules

Shadrok

It was an interesting episode. Though I have to say my favorite Who episode is still the werewolf one, but then again I could be a little bias. >:3

Quote from: Darkmoon on September 15, 2007, 06:14:01 PM

I'm kind of :meh over the series, and the hawk men I think were kind of a let down.

Darkmoon

Fuckin furry. ;)

Best Dr. Who ep from the current run, in my opinion, is Girl in the Fireplace. That was a great, unusual ep. Certainly changed up the formula a bit (kinda like how Weeping Angels did). Didn't hurt that it featured fantastic performances.

thegayhare

Quote from: Darkmoon on September 16, 2007, 01:07:22 AM
Fuckin furry. ;)

Best Dr. Who ep from the current run, in my opinion, is Girl in the Fireplace. That was a great, unusual ep. Certainly changed up the formula a bit (kinda like how Weeping Angels did). Didn't hurt that it featured fantastic performances.

I must admit I loved fireplaces super advanced Clockworks those were quite cool

Azlan

I haven't seen an episode of this that I haven't liked.

I found Torchwood to be somewhat interesting, I'll probably keep watching it.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Zedd

Quote from: Azlan on September 16, 2007, 02:42:33 AM
I haven't seen an episode of this that I haven't liked.
Cause your a poop head...

RJ

Quote from: Darkmoon on September 16, 2007, 01:07:22 AM

If I remember right, that episode actually got nominated... for something. I have no idea.

Darkmoon

It should have. It was a damn good episode.

I am enjoying Torchwood. It managed to hook me with the writing and the acting, and yet still feel different enough for Doctor Who to be interesting on it's own right.

RJ

Torchwood has vanished into the night here. I think it's on a Mondays during the late hours, but I can't be certain.

Darkmoon

RJ

Channel 10. But it's usually a tradition nowadays to have all the awesome shows vanish into the darkness. They did it with The 4400, Surface, and I remember an awesome show called Kingdom Hospital that Channel 7 made vanish too.

Darkmoon

Well Surface and Kingdom Hospital were both cancelled here, so that might be part of the issue.

RJ

That could possibly be it... But still, having something you enjoy to watch suddenly vanish without warning - it makes RJ a sad squirrel. :<

bill

That happened to me. I missed every single HBO show since we dropped them. Thank god for Netflix.

December Third. Can. Not. Wait.

Darkmoon

Yeah, ther've been some shows that I was into and they canceled. Bastards.

I will never forgive you for killing Angel. You jerks.

GabrielsThoughts

Torchwood plays on BBCAmerica, which is channel 300and something on Cox  I haven't seen it because I thought it was another of those crappy "look at my house, it's way better than yours..." type shows that have taken over the station.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

bilbo-sama

Yeah. 'Blink' was awesome and scary.

Yet mostly scary. :zombiekun2

Darkmoon

That's what we're watching it on, too. I expect Sci Fi will likely pick it up before too long.

Zedd

Quote from: Darkmoon on September 17, 2007, 08:34:08 PM
That's what we're watching it on, too. I expect Sci Fi will likely pick it up before too long.
What you think of Martha Jones,Dmoon?

Darkmoon

She's grown on me in the second half of the season. The first half was really quite weak, but I think the writers just didn't know where to go with the story without Rose. They really caught their feet in the second half (basically after the craptastic Dalek two-parter), and have been on a solid role since.

Spoilers below for any that care...

Martha has the potential to be quite the strong character. Moxy, as they used to say. Sadly, far as I have heard, she apparently leaves the series at the end of this season, so it's a toss-up as to my feelings on her in the end. I'll just have to watch and see what's what...

I hear she'll be in an ep or two of Torchwood for Season 2...